• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EMINEM FEAT. BEYONCÉ – ‘WALK ON WATER’

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It's down to earth if you ask me. No synthesizer or robotic beats. I feel like it's trying to be a very humble song. They aren't going out of their way. They're just using their talents. Eminem is the lyrical rhyming artist while Beyoncé has the over the top voice. It's a great song for someone like myself, who doesn't always want to hear a lot of beats on the radio everyday.

JimiNutz

Banned
I appreciate the minimalist approach in having just a piano but the song doesn't suit Eminem at all. Overall it just came of as bland and isn't really a great song from either artist. Sometimes these collaborations just don't really work well together and this is a prime example.

3rd time listen it grew on me a lot more. I appreciate the song is dark and deep but then he got that little ego relief pick my up part at the end.

How the fuck is this going to play on the radio?

Typical pandering, corny, inspirational bullshit from Eminem. Beyonce added nothing. Chorus is cringe worthy and made worse by her delivery. Fuck...it made me physically shudder Simpsons style.

Jezan

Eminem lyrics: "expectations" Zzzzz
Song is 5 minutes Zzzzzzzzzzz can't listen to him complain for that long

Soodanim

Gold Member
For some reason I though GAF would like this, but I agree with the general consensus that this is a miss rather than a hit. He had that track then said "I wrote Stan!" at the end, so why doesn't he get back to clever stories like that? Hell, clever fun stories like Brain Damage and My Fault* were fantastic, I miss those.

I chose Hellbound as my cleanser track when I finished listening.

*Fun telling, not "Haha she died that's funny"

Joe T.

Can't say I like it much and I've been a big Eminem fan since '99. Thirty Seconds to Mars did "Walk On Water" better only two days ago, catchier song with an interesting snapshot of the US for a video.

I liked the message of the song but it's not something I would play and jam out to. It sounds like it would be the first song on his album to lead into a more hype song. I did like that he addressed a lot of the things people have been saying about him though.

jadedm17

It's down to earth if you ask me. No synthesizer or robotic beats. I feel like it's trying to be a very humble song. They aren't going out of their way. They're just using their talents. Eminem is the lyrical rhyming artist while Beyoncé has the over the top voice. It's a great song for someone like myself, who doesn't always want to hear a lot of beats on the radio everyday.

Well said.

Not a favorite but still great, I love the range or styles Eminem does like this.

dyergram

Utter cheese fest. Will probably be huge for them, imagine having invinite artistic licence and a blank check and comming up with this hallmark shit lol.

I think as an intro song or anywhere in the album it be fine, hell even as a 3rd or 4th single it be okay

But the problem a first single is a great way to start, he should of started with a punch, his classic formula of starting most albums with a goofty first single usually works well "cough excluding just lose it and we made you cough"

I agree with most people but what I do disagree with is people hating on him for "complaining" Music is self expression and I'm sure this type of song can relate to a lot of people that as not as good at something they use to be, I understand being jaded but I wouldn't want any artist to stop expressing themselfs and just write blanks

tr00per

Pretty sure this was intent. It's definitely not a radio single, but I can appreciate the personal, honest approach. The last bit was kind of antithetical though... I was beginning to wonder if he'd do another album.

Bookoo

I found it really interesting so many people enjoying this song when it seemed like they didn't like his previous material.

He has been introspective about his recent work in all of his albums. He talked about it on Recovery and MMLP2 so this just feels like more of the same. I don't find the song that interesting or profound. Still excited for the album though.

Crazyorloco

Decent. I expected a lottttt more from this song. Good for one or two listens. I thought he was going to provide God like verses...but we got this.

Is he trying say we shouldn’t have high expectations for the album with this song? Lol

Discourse

I first heard it on the Broken Record podcast where Rick Rubin, Malcolm Gladwell and Eminem talk through the process that made the song.

Ristifer

I don't mind it... but I don't really want to listen to it again. It's harmless, but that's not really how I want to describe Eminem's music. It really shouldn't be harmless. Also, I'm a bit tired of the female emotional chorus hook shit. Eminem has done that numerous times on the past two albums alone. The only time it really worked for me was on Legacy on MMLP2.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Em’s only great these days when featuring an up and comer like Lamar on that Love song or Sia. J-Z probably had a gun to his head saying “Do dis wit my blu”.

D

Deleted member 713885

Unconfirmed Member
Garbage.

Emenem isnt my thing (white dudes who rap are akward as fuck for me to watch)

Not a Beyonce fan either.

kodecraft

Nah.

Macklemore does these types of songs better. Eminem's flow and rhyme schematics aren't effective in getting his point across in a way that you would care.

I like Eminem alot but he's a rapper that needs to be executive produced. Dre can bring out the best in him, Pharrell probably can too.

When Eminem is left to his own to make music, you get what the last few albums sound like. This is just more of it.

Wiped89

Nah.

Macklemore does these types of songs better. Eminem's flow and rhyme schematics aren't effective in getting his point across in a way that you would care.

I like Eminem alot but he's a rapper that needs to be executive produced. Dre can bring out the best in him, Pharrell probably can too.

When Eminem is left to his own to make music, you get what the last few albums sound like. This is just more of it.

I'm a HUGE Eminem fan and this is my fear for Revival. I was so disappointed that Em worked with Rick Reubin again on this single after MMLP2. Not that it was an awful album, I just thought it could have been much better if he'd had better production. I didn't think Rick Reubin and Eminem was a fit at all, so I'm worried that he's done another whole album with him.

Hopefully Revival is more like Recovery and Em has multiple producers working with him on different songs. The actual lyrics and flows aren't that different on Recovery and MMLP2, it's just that the production gives Em much better, traditional and more suitable beats on Recovery, so the overall effect is stronger songs for the most part.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Makes you wonder what pac or biggy would sound like today
Snoop, dre and em all sound like trash

kodecraft

Makes you wonder what pac or biggy would sound like today
Snoop, dre and em all sound like trash

True, but examples like Jay-z stand the test of time. Jay-z has been doing what I call 'grown-man' raps. The subject matter can become more mature and still not be corny.

jrDev

Sounded like Macklemore. Maybe he wanted to reinvent.
Garbage.

Emenem isnt my thing (white dudes who rap are akward as fuck for me to watch)

Not a Beyonce fan either.
This is a terrible comment and you should feel bad for it. Keep that shit to yourself.

Also, you came into a thread to comment about Eninem and Beyoncé, both artists you mentioned that you are not a fan of, which doesn’t make sense...

Top Bottom