• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hat in Time releases in 2 days, yet JonTron still seems to be in the game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blam

Why does this matter so much? Do you remember his role in Yooka Laylee that they removed? No I don't because it was an insanely minimal role.

Ibuki

Banned
JonTron is a shitlord but I already kickstarted this game and have been waiting patiently for years. This is not gonna stop me.

Given how minimal his role was in Yooka-Laylee this isn't gonna stop me from buying this. Likely a small forgettable speaking role. Been waiting for this game for years.

Why does this matter so much? Do you remember his role in Yooka Laylee that they removed? No I don't because it was an insanely minimal role.

Why does everyone hate JonTron? I never really watched anything he made so I'm not sure.

Because he is a racist ? And no matter how small his role is, it's a problem that he gets to be featured in a game ?

Did they say they were going to remove him? Or are you confusing this with Yookah Laylee?

They didn't comment (yet). I'm not even sure they've been reached around that considering how little noise it made.

Blam

He's a bad voice actor. You'd recognize him.

Isn't this game in the same sense as Banjo, and Yooka, where it's not actual voice but just jumbled audio clips?

Because he is a racist ? And no matter how small his role is, it's a problem that he gets to be featured in a game?

Didn't he pay to get into the game as well? I don't really care who anyone is, but if they are going to be paying to help development on a project that I might like, and they'll get a role in the game because of it. That won't stop me at all from buying or playing the game at all.

Same goes with Palmer Luckey, he might be a piece of shit, but I'm not gonna stop using my Oculus, because he was once associated with it.

Isn't this game in the same sense as Banjo, and Yooka, where it's not actual voice but just jumbled audio clips?

No, it's fully voiced. I've seen his character. It's really badly voiced. It's Jontron trying to sound light-hearted and witty.

Edit: Apparently there's both.

NexusCell

Shame he's still in it but it probably won't stop me from enjoying it. As long as he's not extensively in the game I can probably bear with it.

Eumi

Weird. I dunno why you’d want that association, especially when there’s Yooka-Laylee as a precedent.

Oh boy, I don't know what's more disturbing: what JonTron said or the people, some in this thread, already forgetting or willing to forget the racist shit JonTron said.

Kinsei

Banned
That's disappointing to say the least.

It's worth noting that Jon isn't getting any money from sales of the game so you're not supporting him even if you buy the game. As such I'll still be getting it but if he's in another game made by these devs then I won't be supporting them in the future.

I was very excited for this game and yet was not aware of JonTron's involvement. To then hear that he has not been removed from the finished product is dismaying. I was signed up to make the OT for this game. Cross-posting what I just posted in the OT thread:

Due to issues surrounding A Hat in Time brought to my attention by Cerium, I concur that a dialogue needs to take place regarding whether or not it's appropriate to platform this game on GAF due to the JonTron controversy. Mod input would be appreciated.

Crayolan

It's a few lines of dialogue for a few random NPCs in the game, recorded years before JonTron was outed as a racist. Considering this is a small indie team, it makes sense they might not want to throw away already recorded dialogue just to satisfy the small contingent of people who boycott anything JonTron has touched.

Blam

It's a few lines of dialogue for a few random NPCs in the game, recorded years before JonTron was outed as a racist. Considering this is a small indie team, it makes sense they might not want to throw away already recorded dialogue just to satisfy the small contingent of people who boycott anything JonTron has touched.

Yeah it would probably cost them a good amount to do it so close to release, and probably at this point not worth the hassle.

PSqueak

Banned

image.php

You seem like a fair, unbiased opinion!

Cerium

It wasn't hard for Playtonic.

L Thammy

No, it's fully voiced. I've seen his character. It's really badly voiced. It's Jontron trying to sound light-hearted and witty.

Edit: Apparently there's both.

Does anyone have that comic where JonTron is playing friendly happy bundle of fun guy and then espouses white supremacism in the second last panel?

kulapik

Yeah it would probably cost them a good amount to do it so close to release, and probably at this point not worth the hassle.

JonTron has been a shithead for months, though. If they were to remove him, they could have done it already.

Does anyone have that comic where JonTron is playing friendly happy bundle of fun guy and then espouses white supremacism in the second last panel?

C7UzJPBU8AAWhSA.jpg

Sponge

Banned
Playtonic took a lot of heat over removing Jontron yet Gears for Breakfast just gets away with it.

Regardless, I wasn't interested in Hat in Time due to personal reasons. Long story short I knew MechatheSlag on an old gaming forum and he had quite the bad reputation.

Crayolan

image.php

You seem like a fair, unbiased opinion!

I was expecting this, lol. I just think there's a difference between the current situation and if, say, the developer was the one spouting racist shit.

A few random NPCs? I thought it was just one character?

As far as I'm aware it's just the penguins, but I recall multiple penguin NPCs with the same voice. That might be changed in the final game, I don't know.

L Thammy

Playtonic took a lot of heat over removing Jontron yet Gears for Breakfast just gets away with it.

Regardless, I wasn't interested in Hat in Time due to personal reasons. Long story short I knew MechatheSlag on an old gaming forum and he had quite the bad reputation.

What kind of bad do you mean by "bad here?

Adnor

Banned
I'd think it's mostly to avoid what happened to Playtonic when they announced that they took out JonTron. The alt-right is extremely loud.

PSqueak

Banned
I was expecting this, lol. I just think there's a difference between the current situation and if, say, the developer was the one spouting racist shit.

Hell, even if they were not to remove him, just by not commenting on Jon's views and how it impacts the game by association they're taking a stand of endorsement.

Mesoian

It's a tacit endorsement of his behavior. That's why he was removed from YukkaLaylee, not because the role was insignificant.

Blam

JonTron has been a shithead for months, though. If they were to remove him, they could have done it already.

I'd rather have them work on making the game better then removing a character or replacing the character.

I'm sorry, you're saying that removing content provided by someone who has spouted hateful racist rhetoric and then doubled down on it when given the chance to apologize or retract the statments is not worth the cost or hassle? Are you kidding me?

That sucks, I didn't know he was in the game. I contributed to the kickstarter an eternity ago but I have not followed the game's development at all.

It wasn't hard for Playtonic.
Exactly. Though their game was released in a shorter span of time, it shouldn't be too hard to remove his lines or his character's lines all together. But since I'm not a developer I don't know what kinda problems that would create.

I was super excited to get this Friday, but if JonTron is still in it, I may wait.

This is a crock of bs; if they feel a contingent of people isn't important enough to remove a white supremacist voice then they deserve less sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom