• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF? Power Brick Red Light of Death?

So I get home from work one night and head over to my 360 to play some halo. I go turn it on and the green light flashes really quick and nothing happens. I figured out that whenever I did this, the orange light on the power brick turned to red instantly. The xbox wasn't overheated or anything before that and it was in the open laying on the floor. It was also plugged directly into the wall outlet.

I brought my xbox on September 25, 2007 with Halo 3 and I have the new 20gb with HDMI. I called up microsoft a little while ago and the guy said that there is only a three month warranty on the powerbrick. So he says i have to pay $80 bucks to get a new one.

I find this really lame... My console has worked fine under the same setup for 6 months and it randomly does this so I have to pay more $$$? Did anyone else have a similar problem like this and find a way around the $80?

2mfc13d.jpg

*Console was on tile at the time of the incident.

http://digg.com/xbox/WTF_My_360_has_a_power_brick_red_light_of_Death

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
The PSU died. Try disconnecting it, wait, reconnect. Maybe there was a power surge that killed it? EDIT: Wait, 3 MONTHS FOR PSU? Wow....

If you opened your Xbox you could have grounded something.

Relix said:
The PSU died. Try disconnecting it, wait, reconnect. Maybe there was a power surge that killed it? EDIT: Wait, 3 MONTHS FOR PSU? Wow....

If you opened your Xbox you could have grounded something.

Yea I disconnected it a bunch and I never opened the xbox. There was also no power surge because my PS3 was plugged in also and it was folding@home when I tried to turn my 360 on. (Don't try to blame this on ps3 guys lol) But yea....3 months is bullshit.

My power supply died last year, it should be covered by the 1 year warranty (although electrical devices are covered by stricter consumer rights laws in the UK, perhaps its not the same in the States).

I got really crappy wiring upstairs in my house, I've got my new Falcon hooked up to a surge protector this time which should help (I hope)

Firewire

Banned
Relix said:

I have a friend that went through two of them. He used a surge protector so I doubt thats the problem.

Anyways get one used or something, $80 is to much.

FightyF

Banned
sionyboy said:
My power supply died last year, it should be covered by the 1 year warranty (although electrical devices are covered by stricter consumer rights laws in the UK, perhaps its not the same in the States).

I got really crappy wiring upstairs in my house, I've got my new Falcon hooked up to a surge protector this time which should help (I hope)

AFAIK you aren't supposed to hook it up to a surge protector, according to the manual.

FightyF said:
AFAIK you aren't supposed to hook it up to a surge protector, according to the manual.

I think that was just one of the lies...sorry...excuses MS gave for why the 360 failed, hooking it up to a surge protector. AFAIK its not stated in the manual, its just something the PR department churned out once.

I posted it on digg hoping some kind of dumb revolution would happen and microsoft would maybe extend the warranty because of the bad press. They deserve it though cause I bet its only a fuse thats like burnt out...and they want me to buy a whole new thing. Also, They are just gonna take my $80 and send me a refurbished one from someone else who had the same problem. Its probably a separate business for them. :/

http://digg.com/xbox/WTF_My_360_has_a_power_brick_red_light_of_Death

sionyboy said:
I think that was just one of the lies...sorry...excuses MS gave for why the 360 failed, hooking it up to a surge protector. AFAIK its not stated in the manual, its just something the PR department churned out once.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906101/en-us

If you look at this, MS has said repeatedly (here and in other knowledge base articles) that you SHOULD NOT plug the PSU into a power strip or a surge protector. The PSU has built in protection against power surges.

Solideliquid said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906101/en-us

If you look at this, MS has said repeatedly (here and in other knowledge base articles) that you SHOULD NOT plug the PSU into a power strip or a surge protector. The PSU has built in protection against power surges.

well if its so protected then why should i have to pay for it failing after a 3 month warrenty?

like wat is it that i could have done for this to happen? Otherwise, its a manufacturing defect.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
You don't normally keep the console and the PSU on the carpet, do you? If so, that's your problem right there - even the PSU needs ventilation...

And they did say from since the first Xbox that you shouldn't plug the console into a surge protector...

Firewire

Banned
Don't care about built in surge protectors, they tend to be on the cheap side if anything. I have two $200 surge protectors for all my electronics. If you are going to spend lots of money on electronics a good surge protector is the biggest investment you can make for a small dollar value.

Skilotonn said:
You don't normally keep the console and the PSU on the carpet, do you? If so, that's your problem right there - even the PSU needs ventilation...

And they did say from since the first Xbox that you shouldn't plug the console into a surge protector...

I already said that it was plugged straight into the wall. At the time that I first realized this was a problem, I had it downstairs in the den. ....on tile floors. .....cool tile floors.

Remember, The first time this happened, my 360 was completely off for half the day. I then tried to turn it on and nothin.

BakedPigeon said:
Are you saying its careless and prone to being fried if you have your X360 plugged into surge protector? That's straight up bullshit.

Dude, I'm not saying ANYTHING. I am referring you to OFFICIAL microsoft documentation on the subject.

To the OP - Yes, it would seem that this is a manufacture defect. However if you are out of warranty you will have to replace the part. Just the way things are. You don't expect a complicated piece of electronics to work well forever eh? I mean things are bound to break down sooner or later.

Laguna X said:
Putting a console on a carpet is a sure fire way to kill it.

The console was on tile when this all happened and this failure had nothing to do with overheating because the console was off for liek half the day before i tried to turn it on.

and the fact that u cant put a console on carpet is BS...

It's weird, after I got my RRoD, I called them up and learned about the whole "don't plug the PSU into a surge protector" thing. Never had heard about that before.

Pimpbaa

AlxRymnd914 said:
and the fact that u cant put a console on carpet is BS...

It is NOT BS! There is dust in the carpet that the console will easily suck up, plus there is static that can kill the console, not to mention it insulates the bottom of it make it get warmer than it should be. Anyone stupid enough to put their console on the carpet deserves to have their console die on them.

1-D_FTW

Does it have serial numbers on the power prick? Seriously, that's some BS and I would have no ethical problems buying a new 360, swapping power bricks, and giving them the POS back. **** em'. If they're not gonna do what's right, make them do it anyways.

neight

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
It is NOT BS! There is dust in the carpet that the console will easily suck up, plus there is static that can kill the console, not to mention it insulates the bottom of it make it get warmer than it should be. Anyone stupid enough to put their console on the carpet deserves to have their console die on them.
It's amazing it was okay to put your consoles on carpets where they worked just fine before the x360 came along. Seems to me if an x360 is going to die on you it's going to die on you no matter what.

FightyF

Banned
Firewire said:
Don't care about built in surge protectors, they tend to be on the cheap side if anything. I have two $200 surge protectors for all my electronics. If you are going to spend lots of money on electronics a good surge protector is the biggest investment you can make for a small dollar value.

You're paying extra $$$ for "clean" power, not necessarily for extra surge protection, IIRC.

truendo said:
Man, that really sucks. The only thing to do now is sell the 360 and buy a PS3 :D

But seriously, I heard you shouldn't keep the brick on the floor as it gets hot and has it's own internal fan. When I move mine to my PC room I usually keep it on the desk, and when it's in my basement on my HDTV I have it on a little tile.

That sucks dude.

Pimpbaa

neight said:
It's amazing it was okay to put your consoles on carpets where they worked just fine before the x360 came along. Seems to me if an x360 is going to die on you it's going to die on you no matter what.

Nice troll. It was never ok to put consoles on the carpet. I found out the hard way a long time ago when static from the carpet killed my colecovision. It's common sense people! Carpet equals death for consoles!

Boomba

My 360 has been living on the carpet since September. The power supply also rests on the carpet, and its plugged into a power strip.

Seems to be ok because my carpet is very very "thin". Dunno about static though.

Pimpbaa

Boomba said:
My 360 has been living on the carpet since September. The power supply also rests on the carpet, and its plugged into a power strip.

Seems to be ok because my carpet is very very "thin". Dunno about static though.

Get both the consoles and the power supply off the carpet if you want to keep your 360 working.

Bildi

If it really is out of warranty, I'd open it and see if there's a blown fuse you can replace. Just watch what you touch as capacitors can maintain voltage for a long time after it's unplugged (like a day or more).

For what it's worth, my power brick has been on carpet for a couple of years under an entertainment unit and has been OK. Although Microsoft did once try to make me send in the powerbrick when a refurb lasted only a few hours.

At that point I got (more) pissed off and they came to see my point of view and I sent in the console after all. Assholes.

Pimpbaa said:
Get both the consoles and the power supply off the carpet if you want to keep your 360 working.

When I got the 360 and learnt about the RROD, I treat my system like it's made of glass. You have to baby the shit out of this system and it can still choke and die on baby food.

ThirdEye

AlxRymnd914 said:
I called up microsoft a little while ago and the guy said that there is only a three month warranty on the powerbrick. So he says i have to pay $80 bcuks to get a new one.
Sorry I couldn't help laughing out at this point :lol

Pimpbaa

Super_Chicken said:
When I got the 360 and learnt about the RROD, I treat my system like it's made of glass. You have to baby the shit out of this system and it can still choke and die on baby food.

I baby all my systems. A ps3 would have an early demise too if used on the carpet.

neight

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
Nice troll. It was never ok to put consoles on the carpet. I found out the hard way a long time ago when static from the carpet killed my colecovision. It's common sense people! Carpet equals death for consoles!
troll? I'm sorry if my contention to your claims threatens you. How did that work exactly? You actually saw a static charge hit your console and the console stopped working instantaneously after that? All of my cousins have put their consoles on their carpets and they never broke down. I don't buy that it was static that killed your console. Yes static is dangerous to electrical components but not when they're encased in cases. That's what cases are for, to protect the components from the elements.

btw, static isn't something that happens just on carpets. It can happen anywhere. why not warn against touching consoles when you're wearing sweaters or petted cats or wearing socks without shoes?

Pimpbaa

neight said:
troll? I'm sorry if my contention to your claims threatens you. How did that work exactly? You actually saw a static charge hit your console and the console stopped working instantaneously after that? All of my cousins have put their consoles on their carpets and they never broke down. I don't buy that it was static that killed your console. Yes static is dangerous to electrical components but not when they're encased in cases. That's what cases are for, to protect the components from the elements.

btw, static isn't something that happens just on carpets. It can happen anywhere. why not warn against touching consoles when you're wearing sweaters or petted cats or wearing socks without shoes?

You don't have to see a charge for the system to get damaged. This is not rocket science, there are 3 dangers to consoles from carpet. You have dust (which would be the most common killer this and last gen) being sucked into the bottom vents, static, and insulation of the bottom of the console causing heat build up. Using your console on a carpet is stupid, just outright stupid.

neight

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
You don't have to see a charge for the system to get damaged. This is not rocket science, there are 3 dangers to consoles from carpet. You have dust (which would be the most common killer this and last gen) being sucked into the bottom vents, static, and insulation of the bottom of the console causing heat build up. Using your console on a carpet is stupid, just outright stupid.
I'm pretty sure static electricity discharge can be seen.

CZroe

Neo Member
That's what I was going to say. :) Static doesn't just build up on a carpet and jump... IT'S AN INSULATOR! Your console would have to be dragged across the carpet to attract stray electrons if it were to built up any charge... the carpet itself has none. Glass, rubber, they all work the same way against carpet in the generation (collection) of static electricity. Going INSIDE electronics requires you to be grounded because of YOUR static charge. That static charge can be built up by dragging your socks or rubber-soled shoes on carpet on a dry winter day, but it doesn't just some off of your carpet and zap electronics.

Electronics are some of the most sensitive and fragile consumer products available, so it is cruscial that they be engineered for worst-case scenarios, like being placed on carpet, plugged into bad power, or placed near a source of vibration. Regardless, people "in-the-know" shared knowledge that they could extend the life of their equipment by not subjecting it to those conditions, but as soon as one begins failing when you so much as breathe on it, everyone begins to act like this common knowledge was some sort of requirement. Living rooms have carpet. Outlets are close to the floor. The product MUST be designed to operate in this scenario. They are only stressing these extra care techniques to customers to limit their already staggering losses to poor reliability, but pretending that it's "stupid" to not follow them is to pretend that it is common knowledge to all, when it simply isn't.

Pimpbaa

neight said:
I'm pretty sure static electricity discharge can be seen.

Not all the time. Even the slightest charge can kill electronics (people building PCs need to be especially careful).

CZroe

Neo Member
So, I guess that just because dust is easier to see on a flat surface that it's more of a danger from carpet? Nonsense. My nephews Wii ate the dust from his bottom shelf and has trouble with DL discs. Dust covers surfaces without prejudice and will actually be harder to suck off of carpet (precisely why we don't have "carpet dusters"). If you wipe the dust off your component shelf but don't vacume the carpet, that's your own business, but it's not an inherant additional danger of carpet.

Pimpbaa

CZroe said:
That's what I was going to say. :) Static doesn't just build up on a carpet and jump... IT'S AN INSULATOR! Your console would have to be dragged across the carpet to attract stray electrons if it were to built up any charge... the carpet itself has none. Glass, rubber, they all work the same way against carpet in the generation (collection) of static electricity. Going INSIDE electronics requires you to be grounded because of YOUR static charge. That static charge can be built up by dragging your socks or rubber-soled shoes on carpet on a dry winter day, but it doesn't just some off of your carpet and zap electronics.

Electronics are some of the most sensitive and fragile consumer products available, so it is cruscial that they be engineered for worst-case scenarios, like being placed on carpet, plugged into bad power, or placed near a source of vibration. Regardless, people "in-the-know" shared knowledge that they could extend the life of their equipment by not subjecting it to those conditions, but as soon as one begins failing when you so much as breathe on it, everyone begins to act like this common knowledge was some sort of requirement. Living rooms have carpet. Outlets are close to the floor. The product MUST be designed to operate in this scenario. They are only stressing these extra care techniques to customers to limit their already staggering losses to poor reliability, but pretending that it's "stupid" to not follow them is to pretend that it is common knowledge to all, when it simply isn't.

What a load of bullshit. Look at the current consoles for fuck sakes. Look at the goddamn vents on bottom of them. You think air being sucked in from the carpet is safe? And lets not forget about heat build up on the bottom due to the carpet not allowing heat to escape. And yes static is still a problem, it doesn't have to be moved much to build up a charge.

neight

Banned
Pimpbaa said:
What a load of bullshit. Look at the current consoles for fuck sakes. Look at the goddamn vents on bottom of them. You think air being sucked in from the carpet is safe? And lets not forget about heat build up on the bottom due to the carpet not allowing heat to escape. And yes static is still a problem, it doesn't have to be moved much to build up a charge.
Heat moves upwards.

But sorry I don't mean to hound you keep believing what you want.

Pimpbaa said:
I baby all my systems. A ps3 would have an early demise too if used on the carpet.

Um no it wouldn't...My ps3 was about 2 feet away from my 360 and they were both on cool tile floor. Dude this is a manufacturing defect. My 360 is clean and has never overheated.

Edit: I also have left my ps3 on that same carpet for more than a week....and it was on for an entire week: FOLDING@HOME. The ps3's harware is a beast... but I am not mad that the 360 had this problem. I am mad that microsoft doesn't take the blame for it.

tino

Banned
If you keep calling Microsoft, they will eventually send you a power brick signed by Bill Gates.

edit: WTF that n4g entry has more replies than this thread?!

CZroe

Neo Member
Pimpbaa said:
Look at any well-engineered piece of equipment and you will find alternate venhilation. The licensed BD&A Wii stands block the fan. The licensed Pelican horizontal stand blocks the vents under the faceplate. The XBOX360 needs every bit of venthilation it can get because the manufacturing process did not account for the issues with ROHS lead-free solder manufacturing and excess heat.

If anything, carpet FILTERS dust (while impeeding airflow and building up heat). When people tell you not to put a device on carpet, they are talking about shaggy carpet, and certainly not what you see in the OP (may as well be wood).

For "fuck's" sake, look at the last generation of consoles. PS2's and their failed lasers had nothing to do with carpet. Gamecube put it's venthilation up high, knowing full well that the portable size and handle would lead to it being placed on carpet often. Did you hear of many original XBOXes dying from carpet? It's a "front and center" issue now because we have a console that is more fragile and vulnerable to heat (we both know it happen regardless, just less often with better venthilation off of shaggy carpet).

Heat rises and any designer worth his salt knows that you intake from the bottom, so heat build-up there should be a non-issue except for very shaggy carpet.

It's never a good idea to place it on carpet, but to demonize the practice and defend the fragile hardware and shoddy engineering causing it to be the issue that it is, is just flat-out wrong.

Top Bottom