• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what is the hardest boss in any video game ever?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Velius from final fantasy tactics. Everytime I beat him, its by sheer blind luck.

DemiMatt

I'll suggest the core of the giant robot boss at the end of FF4 for DS. I never beat him despite all my guys being lvl 65 and casting shell/protect every chance I get.

Dodonpachi Daioujou Death Label's double Hibachi. Behold: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAqqR7ee1rs

Only one person in the world has beaten it, and it took him 7 years IIRC.

Futari 1.0 Ultra Larsa is also a candidate I suppose, since I'm pretty sure no one has beaten it. (The OP video is 1.5 Ultra Larsa, which has been beaten by several people.)

Ferrio

Banned
Forkball said:
Any boss where it's impossible to win for story reasons. So many wasted potions.

I hate those, even worse the ones where you THINK that's what they're doing so you die on purpose... and nope normal boss.

DangerStepp said:
I laughed.

Also, I'm surprised no one has named anything from Demon's Souls or Dark Souls yet.
The bosses in those games are punishing, but not "hard" per se.

A good candidate would be that one boss from Shin Megami Tensei, who'd use an instant kill skill on your party every few turns unless you completely cheesed a fringe strategy (and even then was still difficult).

I remember the final boss in Otogi being a considerable step up in difficulty from the rest of the game; took me more than a few attempts to beat him.

The final boss in Shinobi (PS2) was also the bane of my existence for a while...

.GqueB.

Banned
All of my most memorable rage inducing bosses are from devil may cry. I remember the Cerebus (first goddamn boss) being a pain in the ass. And the two brothers that I think were in three. I dont even remember.

Someone mentioned them in another thread a couple weeks ago and I had this rush of bad memories come over me. Its almost if I was blocking it out.

Rapstah

Ferrio said:
I hate those, even worse the ones where you THINK that's what they're doing so you die on purpose... and nope normal boss.
Or the ones where both are an option... like the Saturos fight in Golden Sun. I died in like four rounds on my first two playthroughs and the game continued so I obviously assumed you were supposed to lose. Turns out you can beat him too for some shitty reward. Makes sense since he was hardly one-shotting anyone.

For the topic, there is almost certainly some NES or arcade game boss that no one has beaten. Even if you don't count the ones that are broken because of a bug and unbeatable.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Marrshu said:
Your ship's actual hitbox is considerably smaller than the ship itself. A few pixels at best.
mushihihihimesama_futanari_hitboxes.JPG

4x4 Original mode
2x4 (up/down) Ultra/Maniac

Of the games I have played, its probably Killalon from Lost Odyssey: Seeker of the Deep.

To beat him:

(1) be level 99 and max out your characters through insane grinding.

(2) delve to the bottom of the deepest dungeon in the game, twenty-six floors of the toughest monsters in the game, no save points.

(3) walk into his chamber and discover a giant fuckoff robot in a fantasy game piloted by the LO equivalent of a Goomba.

(4) begin the fight. Every round, he auto-heals more damage than your team can actually dish out with the most powerful weapons in the game. By the second round he casts immunity to magic, and in the third round he summons an asteroid that kills everyone.

(5) sigh.

How to win:

The only remotely feasible way of defeating him is by going in with 1HP, and using a bizarre reverse spell that dishes out a HP damage value that is (YOUR MAXIMUM POSSIBLE HP) minus (YOUR CURRENT LEVEL OF HP).

If you can do this for the entire first round, and through pure luck get a MISS from his attacks with at least three party members, then he will summon the superasteroid that causes instant death. If you are VERY lucky, this may MISS one of your team who can then resurrect everyone with low health and if you can hold out another round and his magical immunity wears off, you can use the HP damage spell again to defeat him.

Even maxxed out, at a point where you can kill the real final boss in a single round, this strategy only has something like a one-in-sixty-four chance of ever succeeding as it depends on the boss's manouvers missing you successively. The strategy was only discovered months after the game came out, I believe.

I've maxxed Lost Odyssey and all its DLC, but for the life of me I couldn't defeat this monstrous boss.

JonCha

Tartarus at the end of Halo 2 on Legendary. Man, a friend and I used every weapon/grenade possible on co-op and he would not die. Literally the only boss I've never been able to do.

Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-1.jpg

Alma's first form. Ninja Gaiden. OG Xbox. I did manage to beat her (and the game), but it wasnt until 3am on a worknight back when the game first released. Toughest battle for me in gaming by far. Everything else has seemed pretty null and void since then. Coinidentally since then I have never touched another Ninja Gaiden game.

Jarmel

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
Of the games I have played, its probably Killalon from Lost Odyssey: Seeker of the Deep.

To beat him:

(2) delve to the bottom of the deepest dungeon in the game, twenty-six floors of the toughest monsters in the game, no save points.

(3) walk into his chamber and discover a giant fuckoff robot in a fantasy game piloted by the LO equivalent of a Goomba.

(4) begin the fight. Every round, he auto-heals more damage than your team can actually dish out with the most powerful weapons in the game. By the second round he casts immunity to magic, and in the third round he summons an asteroid that kills everyone.

(5) sigh.

How to win:

The only remotely feasible way of defeating him is by going in with 1HP, and using a bizarre reverse spell that dishes out a HP damage value that is (YOUR MAXIMUM POSSIBLE HP) minus (YOUR CURRENT LEVEL OF HP).

If you can do this for the entire first round, and through pure luck get a MISS from his attacks with at least three party members, then he will summon the superasteroid that causes instant death. If you are VERY lucky, this may MISS one of your team who can then resurrect everyone with low health and if you can hold out another round and his magical immunity wears off, you can use the HP damage spell again to defeat him.

Even maxxed out, at a point where you can kill the real final boss in a single round, this strategy only has something like a one-in-sixty-four chance of ever succeeding as it depends on the boss's manouvers missing you successively. The strategy was only discovered months after the game came out, I believe.

I've maxxed Lost Odyssey and all its DLC, but for the life of me I couldn't defeat this monstrous boss.

That's fucked up. Do developers even play their own games sometimes? I just imagine a guy going "trololololol".

B.K.

Original Weltall in Xenogears. You're not SUPPOSED to be able to beat it, but with the right planning from the beginning of the game, you have a chance, if you're lucky.

.GqueB.

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:

To beat him:

(5) sigh.

How to win:

Is he a required boss? I stopped playing in that silly castle where everything status attacks you and I was thinking of getting back to it at some point.

Seda

Mama Robotnik said:

To beat him:

(5) sigh.

How to win:

Cast reflect and the meteor spell can't hit you.

Top Bottom