• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amazon lists Wii U games for $49.99

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
CN0YF.png

And those are third party titles. That would be huge if it's true. But I have no idea how Nintendo could convince third party devs to cut $10 off the prices of the same games that they're charging $60 for on the PS3 and 360.

And those are third party titles. That would be huge if it's true. But I have no idea how Nintendo could convince third party devs to cut $10 off the prices of the same games that they're charging $60 for on the PS3 and 360.

Sacrifice more of their cut? Drop manufacturing/licensing costs? There are things they could (but may well not) do to make a lower retail price feasible.

LiK

Amazon listed Vita prices for like $30 before Sony announced the specific prices and Amazon raised them accordingly. So I wouldn't say it's concrete but $50 seems like the price Nintendo would go with for first party at least.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Competition? If Nintendo is sticking with $50 games third parties will look pretty stupid trying to sell $60 ones, especially considering they already complain about struggling to compete with Nintendo's games.

Edit: No, that kind of makes sense. Third parties will charge $60-$70 (whatever next-gen games cost) and complain when they can't sell alongside Nintendo's $50 games. Then they'll use that to justify not developing for the platform.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Amazon listed Vita prices for like $30 before Sony announced the specific prices and Amazon raised them accordingly. So I wouldn't say it's concrete but $50 seems like the price Nintendo would go with for first party at least.

Was about to post this.

Amazon has no clue on the pricing of WiiU games yet.

I could see Nintendo pulling a Sony and Vita. Digital release is 10% off of retail or something of that nature but I have a difficult time believing Nintendo will price the games at $50 which would basically require third parties to follow. Especially with how so many big pubs claim to be burning money left and right, $60 is what I am expecting.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't believe it will turn out like that when things get more definitive. If it somehow does then it probably confirms that it's not a very strong or capable system. I don't believe third parties will shave $10 off because they're feeling generous all of a sudden.

SykoTech

Yeah, my first thoughts as well.

Would be nice if Nintendo did like Sony and made their 1st party games cheaper, at least digitally. The 1st party lineup will likely be the only reason to get a Wii U anyway.

Izick

I know ten bucks isn't much for a lot of people, but I'd be excited for the standard to go back to 50$ for new releases.

Competition? If Nintendo is sticking with $50 games third parties will look pretty stupid trying to sell $60 ones, especially considering they already complain about struggling to compete with Nintendo's games.

Edit: No, that kind of makes sense. Third parties will charge $60-$70 (whatever next-gen games cost) and complain when they can't sell alongside Nintendo's $50 games. Then they'll use that to justify not developing for the platform.

^this man knows what hes talking about^

First party games for the Xbox 360 were $50 in the first year of the systems life even though third party games were $60. MS only started $60 when Gears of War 1 launched.

If it was, surely it would be $60 as even the most pessimistic here aren't pegging the WiiU at less than the 360?

Then whoever does market research or whatever it is at Amazon needs to do some more researching.

Do they think Wii U games will be exactly like Wii games (in regards to budget, production values, etc) to be priced at $50? They have to know they won't, given ports of 360/PS3 games will be on the Wii U. So why would they price them at $50?

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Unbelievable, 7 year-old 'oracles' should not be able to post on amazon, it's bad enough they let us rate products before the release date.
I'll be getting a Wii-U, for Zeruda, Megaman PET (my concept).

KillGore

Didn't Microsoft sell their first party titles for $50, in Xbox 360's early life cycle? I bet we will see some at $50, others at $60 and when the console gets popular, everything will bump up to $60

Pociask

High retail prices have been a huge disaster for the industry. They just push consumers to either a) wait for price drops or b) buy it used. Meanwhile, they make consumers much more selective, eliminating middle tier games. None of these things are healthy. 50 dollars is much, much better for the industry. Forty would be even better. Thirty is I think where it needs to get before video games can break through to a truly mass audience.

Sacrifice more of their cut? Drop manufacturing/licensing costs? There are things they could (but may well not) do to make a lower retail price feasible.

That's certainly possible. It would certainly be one way to try to lure over some PS3 and 360 owners. Potentially superior versions of multiplatform games at a cheaper price? Sounds good to me!

gogogow

Amazon is fucked up, why do they allow reviews to be written? Shouldn't they only allow people who have a ordernumber to write reviews when the product is actually released?

mclem

High retail prices have been a huge disaster for the industry. They just push consumers to either a) wait for price drops or b) buy it used. Meanwhile, they make consumers much more selective, eliminating middle tier games. None of these things are healthy. 50 dollars is much, much better for the industry. Forty would be even better. Thirty is I think where it needs to get before video games can break through to a truly mass audience.

I agree in principle, but I don't see games making a profit at $30 at their current budgets. Something's gotta give.

WillyFive

I agree in principle, but I don't see games making a profit at $30 at their current budgets. Something's gotta give.

They will have to expand through other mediums. Movies make revenue from box office, soundtracks, home video, and licenses to streaming services. Games should expand to get more money outside of retail.

yeah, it's how some people got Uncharted Vita for $40, or Tales of Graces F. Amazon honored its price estimates. Similarly 3DS prices were ~$30.

It would certainly be nice. I'm interested in what Activision and EA do. Both shittily raised PC game prices by $10 just 'cause.

Pociask

You are right on that. The kicker is, most games are not making a profit at $60, either - studios are failing left and right, and publishers are losing tons of money.

We keep hearing about middleware tools lowering the costs of development, and maybe that could work, but we also have folks like the good people at Epic who want everything to be bleeding edge ultra high tech all the time (and oh hey, we have an engine that can make it work for you!).

Chasing the bleeding high edge is leading the industry over a cliff. And it's a vicious cycle, too - a smaller pool of buyers means higher prices, which means a smaller pool of buyers, which means higher prices, etc., etc.

I think in the end people need to realize that the reason people play games is not to look at pretty graphics. People play games to have fun, learn things, have social interaction, etc. The graphics are just a coat of paint. And some people really like a nice coat of paint! But chess has been around for hundreds of years, and it's carved wooden blocks. Checkers, ditto, with red and black discs. Video games need to take advantage of the benefits of their medium, not be devoured by them.

Top Bottom