• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grim Dawn |OT| It's always grimmest at dawn.

Played 'til about level 9 last night as a Nightblade. Definitely getting flashbacks of Titan quest with the skill point system. They start with a nice AoE skill I can throw on left click and then hope for the "scissor" passive to proc when it's on cooldown.

How does respec work in the game? I'm putting points into these early skills but I'm not sure if I should be doing this D2-style where you very carefully look at what you want to use then scrape by with the minimum skill points until you can get to it.

Another thing I don't really understand is where I should be putting my stat points. If I'm doing mostly nightblade stuff I'm going to guess mostly "cunning"? Nightblade gear is probably going to need cunning the most I hope. (Putting points into the profession gives mostly cunning, so it's probably an important stat for the class right?)

Also is there just 0 character customization outside of gear? I made a dude and basically got to choose male/female and that was it, haha. Not really a big deal but usually there's a little bit of customization.

Respec is done by paying an NPC to reclaim points you've invested into skills. Note that this is only for skills, not point used to raise a mastery, which are permanent.

As for attribute points, I personally never invest any of them until late game unless I find a build making piece of gear that needs them. Then I generally gauge my build to determine where I need points. Nine times out of ten that will be in physique as damage and mana are usually fine, and more HP always helps.

And yeah, there's noway to change how your character looks outside gear/gender. They probably figure you won't see it most the time so why bother, but I also would like a little more choice. Someone will probably make a mod of it someday.

I agree. The beam should have pierce.

I just tried to it and no way i can play a character like that.

Pierce or making the beam fork/explode into an AoE (with lesser damage than initial hit) would make it much more neat.

drotahorror

Didn't know they added controller support. I played for dozens of hours in december and made a thread on the steam community forums and was laughed at for suggesting a controller. It's mainly because of wrist issues that I get from playing ARPG's. Maybe I'll reinstall, the pain wasn't worth it to play.

Karak

Didn't know they added controller support. I played for dozens of hours in december and made a thread on the steam community forums and was laughed at for suggesting a controller. It's mainly because of wrist issues that I get from playing ARPG's. Maybe I'll reinstall, the pain wasn't worth it to play.

You should. And dude its Steam Forums. Its like the one place where stupid is asked to collect and discuss things.

Nymerio

So, I just said fuck it and got all the points I could get back and put everything into the Demolishionist mastery. I've maxed it out and got the splinter skill and the one that upgrades the grenados. I only have one active skill beside my default attack but those to actually pack a decent punch now.

Dreavus

Respec is done by paying an NPC to reclaim points you've invested into skills. Note that this is only for skills, not point used to raise a mastery, which are permanent.

As for attribute points, I personally never invest any of them until late game unless I find a build making piece of gear that needs them. Then I generally gauge my build to determine where I need points. Nine times out of ten that will be in physique as damage and mana are usually fine, and more HP always helps.

And yeah, there's noway to change how your character looks outside gear/gender. They probably figure you won't see it most the time so why bother, but I also would like a little more choice. Someone will probably make a mod of it someday.

Pierce or making the beam fork/explode into an AoE (with lesser damage than initial hit) would make it much more neat.

Thanks. I might be a little more stingy with those character attribute points going forward.

Nordicus

Picked this game up yesterday and Veteran mode so far is just the right amount of challenge to me. Most hero unit pairs keep me on my toes even in the first few hours of the game.

Chris R

I like how easy it is to change the devotion stuff... there are just way to many possible ways to build things, and I like it.

Cracklox

Just got through a Normal run last night. I guess the real game begins now in Elite. Very cool little game!

Finished at 45 with a Witch Hunter. Basically just running the 2 pets from Occultist with a few buffs, and the rest in Nightblade. Like others above, I've spread points a little too thinly though so need to do a respec, I just couldn't work out how. Per above there's an NPC I guess, which I'll hit up later.

Witchhunters a fun way to do things but not sure how viable it'll be on the hardest difficulty. From what I hear you really need to have an Arcanist or Soldier in your build to not get destroyed. Also I'm not sure I'm going to have enough points to do everything I want. By my maths you have 255 skill points to spend, with 100 more or less required to max the 2 classes. That leaves 155 points for skills, which seems like a lot as you should be able to max around 10-12 skills with that. Only problem is across 2 classes with active, passive, and buffs to your actives there's a lot to go around. I haven't sat down for full min-max calculations, but I'm pretty certain I'll need to drop a few things once I get to 85.

Anyway, fun, addictive game that I can see myself playing for a while. Got to get to 85 first and still need to have a look at Demo and Shamans mostly, though I'm not sure how well they'll work together. Was thinking Demo/Arcanist for my next run. THEN there's also hardcore (which scares me - I died a fair bit on my first run)

Also, I'm excited to see what Crate have planned going forward with future updates and content

Stevey

Going from what people are posting here, I seem to be taking my sweet time with my normal run.
Only at Homestead, just hit level 35, been playing for 24 or so hours.
Just unlocked the way north out of Homestead, actually died a few times, feel like I need to grind a bit as most of the enemies are level 39.

This game is amazing. I love how cheap it is to respec, encouraging experimentation and allowing you to adjust to any new gear drops.

Having done Act 1 on both Normal and Veteran, I can say I definitely prefer Vet for the increased difficulty, mob density, and droprate on good gear!

NIN90

Game keeps crashing to black screen (with a message of my NVidia drivers recovering) after about 30 minutes. This did not happen with the Early Access builds.

sigh

Nordicus

Fighting mobs that are 3-7 levels above you feels so rewarding. After a big fight you look at your XP bar and see a giant block of yellow that's gonna fill up

Been playing the game a long time so I have quite the assortment of gear to help make the early and mid game negligible. So I think I'm going to start a new build and only use gear found on that character until the end-game. Thinking about doing Druid (arcanist/shaman) since I haven't done much with that yet.

Nordicus

Putting Guardian's Gaze constellation skill on an Aoe is so good. Guaranteed floating eye smacking dudes around you

koji

Really enjoying this, the classes are doing my head in though, such variety, dayum. Also, what's with the 0 buzz surrounding this game? 3 years in early access really killed it or what?

Bought it in 2010 myself but decided to wait for the final release, glad I waited :)

edit: It's playing pretty smooth with the gamepad btw, 360/xbone controller or the steam controller both work fine.

Really enjoying this, the classes are doing my head in though, such variety, dayum. Also, what's with the 0 buzz surrounding this game? 3 years in early access really killed it or what?

Bought it in 2010 myself but decided to wait for the final release, glad I waited :)

Long development time and it released after Diablo 3 and Path of Exile which satiated a lot of people for these style of games. Plus the game feels like it's already been out for over a year because its early access builds were really well done.

Nordicus

Long development time and it released after Diablo 3 and Path of Exile which satiated a lot of people for these style of games. Plus the game feels like it's already been out for over a year because its early access builds were really well done.
Yeah, Path of Exile especially. It filled the niche where you might have a bit of jank but at the same time get incredible character build depth

Though personally, I did not like how micromanagey Path of Exile got with the skill socketing. If you built the perfect skill combo once with your sockets, then you potentially skipped a lot of statwise superior gear after that because you simply must have the similar socket setup on your next piece of equipment

Yeah, Path of Exile especially. It filled the niche where you might have a bit of jank but at the same time get incredible character build depth

Though personally, I did not like how micromanagey Path of Exile got with the skill socketing. If you built the perfect skill combo once with your sockets, then you potentially skipped a lot of statwise superior gear after that because you simply must have the similar socket setup on your next piece of equipment

I couldn't get into Path of Exile's endgame. The currency shenanigans are nonsense to me, and the game becomes a 'throw quarters into a slot machine' simulator. Grimdawn does have a crafting lotto in it, but I can still acquire gear without needing that 5/6-linked nonsense to make my characters excel.

Nordicus

I couldn't get into Path of Exile's endgame. The currency shenanigans are nonsense to me, and the game becomes a 'throw quarters into a slot machine' simulator. Grimdawn does have a crafting lotto in it, but I can still acquire gear without needing that 5/6-linked nonsense to make my characters excel.
Also, generally skills as loot. Was not a massive fan of that, especially in the early game

Need some help. In the arkovian undercity I had a quest to defeat 3 ghost bosses and meet up with Kalderos outside the steps of torment. Where is that? I finished the dungeon and killed a level 29 boss but the gate at the end bugged and wouldn't open.

What do I do 😔

Need some help. In the arkovian undercity I had a quest to defeat 3 ghost bosses and meet up with Kalderos outside the steps of torment. Where is that? I finished the dungeon and killed a level 29 boss but the gate at the end bugged and wouldn't open.

What do I do 😔

Are you talking about the quest 'Old Scars'? The three ghost bosses will be on the first 2 levels of the Undercity (1 on level 1, 2 on level 2). Afterwards you talk to the NPC outside the Steps of Torment, in the south-eastern part of Broken Hills.

Are you talking about the quest 'Old Scars'? The three ghost bosses will be on the first 2 levels of the Undercity (1 on level 1, 2 on level 2). Afterwards you talk to the NPC outside the Steps of Torment, in the south-eastern part of Broken Hills.

exactly that

so this happened: http://imgur.com/KICFcJO

I beat a level 29 there and couldnt pass through the gate, there seems to be an exit beyond it. I back tracked through the under city and went back through a different exit into the broken hills. am I good or am i missing something beyond that gate? :<

exactly that

I beat a level 29 there and couldnt pass through the gate, there seems to be an exit beyond it. I back tracked through the under city and went back through a different exit into the broken hills. am I good or am i missing something beyond that gate? :<

If I'm recalling correctly I think that path just exits out onto the first floor of the undercity so you can get out more quickly. It sounds like it glitched out and the boss didn't trigger it to open. You can reload the game and run through it again if you're concerned, but I think you should be okay.

Yup. I just had to backtrack. Thanks. I think it had something to do with cheesing the boss by pulling him to the front gate and fighting him from behind it. Whoops. :D

Purkake4

Banned

edit: It's playing pretty smooth with the gamepad btw, 360/xbone controller or the steam controller both work fine.
I think it's another case of people actually playing the game instead of talking about it. The official forums are pretty active and the Steamspy stats look pretty good:

Owners: 310,551 ± 13,123
Players in the last 2 weeks: 113,073 ± 7,921 (36.41%)

Nordicus

The level 35 faction gear is actually pretty good, I'm surprised

Also, only recently I noticed that there's both standard armor and heavy armor. Ever since realizing that I've let my Physique stat drop a bit because I was previously constantly trying to keep up with current heavy armor requirements. My character is not really meant to tank. Mostly just hit&run with massive amounts of poison.
Is there a list of the names of all the dual classes?
Here ya go
0AwRJBL.jpg

Picked this up last night. Forgot what it's like to not be spoon fed how to play a game.

Enjoying myself so far. Think I ended up like level 18 or something. Should probably be reading into the end-game systems, crafting, etc. to figure out what I'm doing, but so far slaying monsters and finding blues has been fun.

Nordicus

Picked this up last night. Forgot what it's like to not be spoon fed how to play a game.
Were you as paralyzed as I was when you first really saw the Devotion system?

After some time of not putting my single worthless first point into anything, I took a quick look at all the highest tier constellations (require 20+ devotion) at the edges of the picture, and went "aight, gonna work on getting that one"

Nymerio

exactly that

You're good, you'd just get back to the first floor near the exit. I just did that quest today.

I really really like this game. It's been a long time since a game managed to get me to invest that many hours into it.

KIRAKIRA

Banned
I've been wanting to get this, just waiting for a sale!

does this game have seasons like D3/Poe? What about hc mode, do I need to stay connected to a server?

Mulgrok

Were you as paralyzed as I was when you first really saw the Devotion system?

After some time of not putting my single worthless first point into anything, I took a quick look at all the highest tier constellations (require 20+ devotion) at the edges of the picture, and went "aight, gonna work on getting that one"

After playing Path of Exile a long time the devotion menu is not so bad :p

does this game have seasons like D3/Poe? What about hc mode, do I need to stay connected to a server?

you can play offline, singleplayer. That is what I do.

Nymerio

No seasons and no online requirement that I'm aware of. I've been playing solo so far.

Nordicus

After playing Path of Exile a long time the devotion menu is not so bad :p
Aah, but with the Devotion system, you don't move along a board one dot at a time, making certain progress with each one. Some constellations give a lot of bonus devotion but somewhat lacking power, others vice versa, some give different types of devotion from what their requirements are, etc.

It is lot more fluid in its structure, which make visualizing your progress and plans harder

Devotion tip in case people are like me and didn't realize this for awhile. Upon finishing a constellation which gives you affinity, you may reclaim points in previous stars/constellations (so long as it doesn't drop you below the requirement)...

So for an example. Say you bought the star that gives 1 point into chaos, and then bought all of the Jackal constellation. You end up with 4 chaos, allowing you to reclaim that initial 1 point to be redistributed while lowering your chaos affinity by 1.

Dreavus

So does anyone know if Cadence (Soldier skill) works with the passive Nightblade and Soldier "chance to proc off a regular attack" skills like Belgothian's Shears? I am sort of tailoring my build towards this but I can't tell if they are stacking or not.

EDIT: It doesn't stack on the third hit of cadence according to the internet. Too bad.

Dark_castle

Started at Veteran mode. Wish there was a higher difficulty mode than that because it's still a little too easy when I stacked around 90% lightning damage and pumped Storm Totem to 17/16, cruised through everything so far.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Now that they've added voice work for the main story it feels so weird when an NPC doesn't speak, it's a shame full voice acting wasn't within their budget.

Top Bottom