• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS launches June 16

Dynomutt

min-min-arms-switch-730x411.jpg

Fanart is starting to pop-up, I might make a thread about it.

Also I think this game will heavily benefit from a testfire (Warm-Up Match?), this is one of those games that you need to feel to truly appreciate.

Use the following format:

_______________ has developed quite the art following!

Exile20

they should've showcased many characters and maybe kept 1 or 2 for a trailer before release, as well as the different modes and stages in the game. The spent so much time on the fight (to showcase the depth, which I think they failed to do) and saved the interesting stuffs (2v2, stages) for the last 10 seconds.

Minmin design is 10/10 though
Wait what? They failed? Wow, guess we were looking at a different video.

I was hoping Nintendo would use this direct to show why this game is full price. I hope they actually have something big to show and its not just more character reveals.

JoeInky

Nice Catches, so maybe 4 more characters?

Luchadora

Robot with googles

the green Robot

and the white robot

The white one isn't a robot, it has the 'normal' swirl eyes.

I was hoping Nintendo would use this direct to show why this game is full price. I hope they actually have something big to show and its not just more character reveals.

Yeah, fighting games definitely aren't worth full price.

TZchassis

Wait what? They failed? Wow, guess we were looking at a different video.
I mean they did show the different elements and some of the glove types but for some reason I still feel that gameplay lacks depth. Maybe it's just hard to show in a video rather than actually playing it.

SalvaPot

Well, so far they have confirmed:

VS Mode
2 vs 2 Mode
Training Mode
Break the Targets.
6 confirmed characters, 4 "teased" characters.
Costumizable fighters with hidden depth
Mentions of "Single Player modes"

For a fighting game it already looks as robust as SFV was at launch.

jonno394

Is that blue robot maybe not just a new glove? Looks like it could be the girl's.

I thought this at first but decided nope, if you look closely at the video you can see each character has the same size portrait going across the bottom. If that's her glove then it means her portrait is twice the size of the others.

JoeInky

I mean they did show the different elements and some of the glove types but for some reason I still feel that gameplay lacks depth. Maybe it's just hard to show in a video rather than actually playing it.

Don't know why it looks like it lacks depth:

-The attack < block < grab triangle is in the game
-You can mix and match arm loadouts
-Each arm has different effects and elemental properties
-Arms have individual health which can be depleted and leave you without that arm for a while
-Each character has unique abilities
-You can attack with each arm individually as well as curve your shots
-You can charge up your punches which gives each arm/elemental type a second ability

All it's really missing in terms of traditional fighting game mechanics is the high/low mixup.

RRockman

Banned
So are most of the characters in this game cyborgs or clone things then?

c9ba9b3184.jpg

They all have swirl eyes except for mechanica, who's in a mech. Plus there's that one lab level that looks like it has blank arms characters in the test tubes.

Asking the real questions I see! This makes me wonder though, who is building them? And why is Mechanica allowed in the ring?

Well, so far they have confirmed:

VS Mode
2 vs 2 Mode
Training Mode
Break the Targets.
6 confirmed characters, 4 "teased" characters.
Costumizable fighters with hidden depth
Mentions of "Single Player modes"

For a fighting game it already looks as robust as SFV was at launch.

I wanna see what those single player modes. I want something substantial like the content netherrealm puts into their fighting games.

DKL

I thought I was seeing some cool things like the attack arcs and the now introduced glove affinities that are probably setups for combos and/or wakeup/recovery pressure.

Zoning in the game already looks pretty interesting to me.

As long as it's not a hassle to setup, it'll probably at least be side tournament status at Smash tournies or something to that effect.

(which is probably more players than a KOF tournament outside of Asia Kappa)

SalvaPot

So are most of the characters in this game cyborgs or clone things then?

c9ba9b3184.jpg

They all have swirl eyes except for mechanica, who's in a mech. Plus there's that one lab level that looks like it has blank arms characters in the test tubes.

#DeepestLore.

jdstorm

Banned
Come on Nintendo, please make a Just Dance style Rythm Single player mode that teaches players how to fight. It would be perfect for Arms (and the regular release of tracks/levels would be a great way to incorporate paid DLC without affecting game balance)

I wanna see what those single player modes. I want something substantial like the content netherrealm puts into their fighting games.
I'd keep your expectations low if you want this to rival the content of a Netherrealm fighter. Even Splatoon had light single player content outside of the story.

I'd keep your expectations low if you want this to rival the content of a Netherrealm fighter. Even Splatoon had light single player content outside of the story.

It doesn't have to match them, some kind of story/adventure mode plus robust arcade. I don't think that's too much to ask for a full price game.

Deku89

I think there's more time between Zelda and Mario Kart than Mario Kart and ARMS.

Anyway, I'll probably end up getting it. Nice catch on the new characters.

Yukinari

Would be nice if a new Nintendo IP would launch with tons of content to give it a strong launch. Splatoon 1 failed to do that.

Harpoon

Or different outfits for the existing characters.

I have a really hard time seeing that bottom of the screen as moving through alt costumes rather than the character roster, especially when none of them look like alt costumes for any of the other characters. The woman certainly isn't a costume for Ribbon Girl or any of the other female characters when she has a completely different skin tone.

Minmin is cool. Back when I was imagining new characters for this game, I totally thought of noodle arms. Glad to see they did that! Dragon arm is cool too.

I have a really hard time seeing that bottom of the screen as moving through alt costumes rather than the character roster, especially when none of them look like alt costumes for any of the other characters. The woman certainly isn't a costume for Ribbon Girl or any of the other female characters when she has a completely different skin tone.
Maybe these outfits dramatically change the character's appearance.

Majukun

probably the game will die on how much deep it really is..much like splatoon

wait,does t have online multiplayer?

Top Bottom