• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Preview Thread (9/20) Three kingdoms highlighted and MORE

JJH

This is going to be my daughter's first 3D Mario game. She loves the SMB titles on our NES classic. She's going to be in for a real treat.

sleepnaught

Just noticed all the water on the seaside kingdom is carbonated and it fizzes as you swim through it lol, nice touch

edit: seeing these new previews is definitely easing my mind about the world design. seaside definitely looks like it has a ton of layers once you look below the water, looks really neat.

I think people should keep their expectations in check though, I think at best it'll be Peach's Castle and that's it, we shouldn't be expecting any SM64 worlds or anything.

I'm assuming this is the one with
Unagi the terrifying eel
that showed up in a screenshot I saw on Twitter.

edit: never mind, I guess that's a separate thing

edit2: media blackout time!

AdanVC

Too much shit going on on the world rn but at least we have this amazing, pure and fun videogame coming soon to make us smile. Previews looks and sounds amazing. This game is going to be something else.

CaVaYeRo

Here's my 5 gameplay clips, just highlights or "best moments":

Seaside Kingdom 1:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/337503/Super+Mario+Odyssey+-+Gameplay+del+Reino+Ribereno+-+Parte+1/
(Explorer Mario, cool moves at the beach, pirate goombas, cheep-cheep capturing)

Seaside Kingdom 2:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/337493/Super+Mario+Odyssey+-+Gameplay+del+Reino+Ribereno+-+Parte+2/
(2D underwater retro platforming puzzle, octopus capturing, boulder dodging, creepy Super Mario 64 eel cave)

Luncheon Kingdom 1:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/337...+Gameplay+del+Reino+de+los+Fogones+-+Parte+1/
(goomba capture, lava bubble capture, swimsuit, golden ingredient cooking)

Luncheon Kingdom 2:
https://www.gamereactor.es/grtv/337...+Gameplay+del+Reino+de+los+Fogones+-+Parte+2/
(Famicom baseball cap, Pan Bros vs cheese walls, lava bubble puzzle)

Trrzs

From the Metro preview. oh shit

Not really a spoiler, but I'm gonna' tag it anyway.

"For each demo we had a Nintendo rep hovering over us, telling us when to stop and what we absolutely could not do or talk about. For example, portraits in each stage seem to work as quick portals between kingdoms, and one of them let us get a sneak peek at one that’s not yet announced. We can’t say what it is but it looks amazing, and will blow the minds of Super Mario 64 fans."

Give me this game.

It's clearly the
Mushroom Kingdom
. But I want to point something interesting I found in the footage of the last Nintendo Direct. They actually show that kingdom in the map, but in the in-game map, we can see the "geography" of the kingdoms, Tostarena is a big desert, Shiveria is a big Ice land, the cap kingdom es black like the grass found there. But what about the
Mushroom Kingdom
? Well, it has green and brown land masses simulating the classic Mario's
mushrooms
, the interesting part here is that there's a big brown square land in the middle of the island simulating the
middle dot in Mario's mushrooms
but why is a square instead a circle mass?
Because there's is the Peach's Castle! And is obviously full explorable. And I'm pretty confident they will "remake" a lot of the worlds found in Mario 64.

Here's the pic for a better reference https://i.imgur.com/yUW6GNl.jpg

It's clearly the
Mushroom Kingdom
. But I want to point something interesting I found in the footage of the last Nintendo Direct. They actually show that kingdom in the map, but in the in-game map, we can see the "geography" of the kingdoms, Tostarena is a big desert, Shiveria is a big Ice land, the cap kingdom es black like the grass found there. But what about the
Mushroom Kingdom
mushrooms
, the interesting part here is that there's a big brown square land in the middle of the island simulating the
Because there's is the Peach's Castle! And is obviously full explorable. And I'm pretty confident they will "remake" a lot of the worlds found in Mario 64.

Yeah, I think you're right and here's the proof. THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A PRETTY BIG SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

https://i.imgur.com/ISaDX8c.png

Red Devil

It's clearly the
Mushroom Kingdom
Mushroom Kingdom
mushrooms

GameXplain took a closer look to the world map on their Top 5 details video.

Sort of going on a blackout. I'm only reading parts of articles and taking a look at footage of things we've already seen and news updates that don't contain spoilers. Hopefully I can keep it up... This is actually the first game I'm sort of doing a blackout on. Odyssey is looking like the potential GOAT, no hyperbole.

I was one of those individuals who was skeptical when I first saw the E3 footage. But man, everything since then has me more and more excited. Now I'm almost regretting watching this latest footage because I want to be surprised when playing it for the first time...like that same sort of awe I had when I first played Super Mario World.

Yeah, I think you're right and here's the proof. THIS IS WHAT I CONSIDER TO BE A PRETTY BIG SPOILER. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

https://i.imgur.com/ISaDX8c.png

gandalf-beautiful-gif.gif

To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the
stack of goombas to save/impress the lady goomba
thing.

Hopefully there aren't too many repeats.

To try and drag the hype down a bit to mortal levels, it seems like some of the moon puzzles are repeated throughout the game. Specifically, I've seen at least 3 instances of the
thing.

This is nothing new. Galaxy had repeat missions with the robot to get stars. You can say the same with 3D World and Captain Toad.

thing.

tbh my #1 concern about this game is that the mission-based structure is going to be incredibly tired on replays

thing.

I don't have a problem with it, because those are side objectives and each one appears to be handled a bit differently, simply based on level design. My guess is there's one of those in each kingdom.

tbh my #1 concern about this game is that the mission-based structure is going to be incredibly tired on replays

Seems to be set up very similarly to Sunshine in that way.

Kinsei

Banned
thing.

To be fair those missions will all be varied thanks to the terrain greatly affecting them. It's kinda like the red coins from 64.

This is nothing new. Galaxy had repeat missions with the robot to get stars. You can say the same with 3D World and Captain Toad.

Those were different missions with the same core theme, rather than these which seem to be framed as a puzzle, but once you've done it once you know the solution. Maybe they will throw in some hiccups, like
making it hard to find the correct number of Goombas or whatever

The fact that we've seen so little repetition so far makes me think that won't be a big problem. From all of the BotW E3 footage we saw a lot of different Korok seed puzzles which looked extremely similar, here we basically just have a lot of hidden moons and a few that require different tasks to unveil.

The fact that it's taken until now that we've seen this kinda repetition even with all of the footage that's out there makes me think it'll be a very rare thing in the game.

I don't have a problem with it, because those are side objectives and each one appears to be handled a bit differently, simply based on level design. My guess is there's one of those in each kingdom.

To be fair those missions will all be varied thanks to the terrain greatly affecting them. It's kinda like the red coins from 64.

Yup, good points too.

jaypah

Not sure I've ever done this for a game but, fuck that, black out time. This game has way too much going on and I want it to be crescent fresh when I play it. These threads are going to be calling me like Pookie though.

Top Bottom