• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-Hop |OTXVII| I don't really care if /mu/ cry

It's just an intriguing question. Both are arguably products of the YouTube generation, Post coming from one massive viral hit and Paul through his social media fandom, and both have a significant presence in the YouTube market i.e. Post and his association with H3H3 and Jake Paul's entire celebrity.

One could also say that both adopt the stereotypes of hip-hop to legitimize their image as real rappers/artists. And, with Jake Paul getting features by Gucci Mane and Quavo, both have gained acceptance into the larger fold of hip-hop. So, I guess my point is, does Post's ability to make a catchy song legitimize him as a hip-hop artist & differentiate him from Jake Paul's "culture vulture" status?

On another note, one half of Drexciya, Gerald Donald, has a really nice minimal techno alter-ego, Arpanet. He has an album, "Quantum Transposition", that is really nice and spacey. At times it reminds me of a more pared-down Aphex Twin, which is fitting since it was released 12 years ago on Rephlex. Check it out if you want something new.

Koozek

It's just an intriguing question. Both are arguably products of the YouTube generation, Post coming from one massive viral hit and Paul through his social media fandom, and both have a significant presence in the YouTube market i.e. Post and his association with H3H3 and Jake Paul's entire celebrity.

One could also say that both adopt the stereotypes of hip-hop to legitimize their image as real rappers/artists. And, with Jake Paul getting features by Gucci Mane and Quavo, both have gained acceptance into the larger fold of hip-hop. So, I guess my point is, does Post's ability to make a catchy song legitimize him as a hip-hop artist & differentiate him from Jake Paul's "culture vulture" status?

On another note, one half of Drexciya, Gerald Donald, has a really nice minimal techno alter-ego, Arpanet. He has an album, "Quantum Transposition", that is really nice and spacey. At times it reminds me of a more pared-down Aphex Twin, which is fitting since it was released 12 years ago on Rephlex. Check it out if you want something new.
Wait, wait, wait, what? Wtf.

Look, it's simple: Jake Paul = fuego basura, Post Malone = dope artist.

Wait, wait, wait, what? Wtf.

Look, it's simple: Jake Paul = fuego basura, Post Malone = dope artist.
Oh, woops, Cash Me Outside girl has the Quavo feature. Paul just has the Gucci feature.

And I can agree with the distinction, but I just want to explore the differences. Poster, articulate thyself.

its more post malone is actually a good artist who seems like he genuinely enjoys making music and isnt just using rap as the next viral thing since vine died like jake paul.

jake-paul-11-gif.gif

yeaa this dude way too white and corny to ever be taken seriously in hip hop bro lol. MAYBE in a lil dicky sorta way. Im sure Gucci just did his verse for a check but its still lame af to see cause white kids will eat that shit up.
--
also rockstar bangs

Koozek

its more post malone is actually a good artist who seems like he genuinely enjoys making music and isnt just using rap as the next viral thing since vine died like jake paul.
Exactly. I don't see how they could even be compared besides being white and having Youtube friends. I guess Torre was coming more from the "culture vulture" angle, but oof, that's a complex topic. Where's the line between appreciation and exploitation?

Exactly. I don't see how they could even be compared besides being white and having Youtube friends. I guess Torre was coming more from the "culture vulture" angle, but oof, that's a complex topic. Where's the line between appreciation and exploitation?
Going back to the article you posted,
He's protective of tradition while acutely aware of a losing grip on ownership—a fear that's manifested itself through Iggy.

”When she went through the controversy with Q-Tip, she could've handled it differently, instead of getting into a public debate. From that point on, I tuned out," says Sway. ”I also think people gon' have to get a grip with the fact that rap isn't just ours no more. There are people all over the world expressing themselves through this art form that don't know the basic fundamentals. People who have nothing to do with the culture can walk in, take full advantage of it, then walk away and get away with it."
I guess in many ways, what happened with jazz and blues is currently happening to hip-hop and we as a society are becoming more and more cognizant about it.

EDIT: In all this craze about OTs and "Graduation", we forgot about the 5 year anniversary of "Cruel Summer."

Celebrate with Yeezy's best banger.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Post Malone's an interesting case for me. I like his music, and the vibe he aims for, but I can't help but feel his image is exploitative of hip-hop culture. In all fairness, he seems like a guy that honestly enjoys hip-hop culture, but it just feels..off. The fact he was just a suburban white kid who liked singing who then transitioned into a hip-hop lifestyle, complete with gold grills, chains, and tattoo sleeves doesn't seem real.

His songs are nice, but I'm not entirely at ease with how he's gotten to the position he is at in the span of 2 years.
He sounds like a dipshit. Gold grills and chains are like epitome of dumbassery. I do like that Rockstar song though.

And why is that Cardi B song a thing. Have we really sunk so low? At least Nicki Minaji had fun raps.

Koozek

He sounds like a dipshit. Gold grills and chains are like epitome of dumbassery. I do like that Rockstar song though.
That makes it sound like he's on some Riff Raff shit, but he's not. You can't really hate on him, he's such a likeable dude. Besides, his style is all over the place anyway, not sure if he even wears grills anymore.

2VpXqmm.png

HiResDes

And why is that Cardi B song a thing. Have we really sunk so low? At least Nicki Minaji had fun raps.
Cardi B is more fun and secure with herself than Nicki ever was...

Dumbassery sounds like something an old suburban white male might say after complaining about the rap cars on his street

WaffleTaco

That makes it sound like he's on some Riff Raff shit, but he's not. You can't really hate on him, he's such a likeable dude. Besides, his style is all over the place anyway, not sure if he even wears grills anymore.

2VpXqmm.png
He needs a haircut and to get rid of that beard, he looks like a douche. And if he is likeable it doesn’t come across in his music. (I’ve only heard Congratulations and Rockstar).

WaffleTaco

Dumbassery sounds like something an old suburban white male might say after complaining about the rap cars on his street
If she is more fun, she needs to make it apparent in her music. Her song is just obnoxious and cringy.

And lol I’ve been watching That 70’s Show recently and in case you haven’t seen it, the Dad in it tends to use the dumbass a lot. (He’s also old, white and I guess suburban). Either way, the term fits.

Catvoca

Banned

2VpXqmm.png

He looks like he has a gaf account

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Post Malone doesn't come off as trying to co-opt an aggressive or stereotypical hip-hop image or look or sound really.

On the (theoretical) cultural appropriation scale, he's really low, and that's kind of why he's been embraced. Dude does himself for the most part, has always been way more crossover or genre blending than he was squarely hip-hop, and puts out. When I think about it, he's probably a good litmus test for if people think hip-hop is exclusively for and by black people or not.

NAV, Jake Paul, Mac Miller, whoever are more ambiguous or at least more closely tied to rap.

HiResDes

Love anything Drexciya, I'm on it. Did you like the new Mount Kimbie?

Koozek

Yeah, I mean, I don't listen to her and don't see what's so catchy about Bodak Yellow in particular, but you can't hate on Cardi's (public) person. She's really likeable and goofy from interviews and vlogs, jokes about herself too a lot.

He looks like he has a gaf account
image.php

Post Malone doesn't come off as trying to co-opt an aggressive or stereotypical hip-hop image or look or sound really.

On the (theoretical) cultural appropriation scale, he's really low, and that's kind of why he's been embraced. Dude does himself for the most part, has always been way more crossover or genre blending than he was squarely hip-hop, and puts out. When I think about it, he's probably a good litmus test for if people think hip-hop is exclusively for and by black people or not.

NAV, Jake Paul, Mac Miller, whoever are more ambiguous or at least more closely tied to rap.
Wat, I wouldn't put Mac Miller in there with Jake Paul.

Wait, is that Post? I was certain he looked like Sean Paul or something.
Different hair than before.
Code:
[IMG]https://isthmus.com/downloads/41391/download/Picks-Post-Malone-10202016.jpg?cb=dc49ddeca60a5b99f3edca0f3d276a2e[/IMG] 
[IMG]https://sslb.ulximg.com/image/405x405/artist/1464812509_ea2a6884ff1967e1238ef2e8fb13fa31.jpg/723e10a00233e0aea346495a5dd3b7ea/1464812509_1aff200a1b7362580224a2f688883d71.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ab/bd/63/abbd634fb5234db66b918061ef012ad9--post-malone-braid-styles.jpg[/IMG]

WaffleTaco

Do people really watch videos and interviews of artists?

Those Post Malone pics look like cultural appropriation to me tbh

Koozek

I honestly watch more interviews of many artists than I actually listen to their music (if I do at all), lol. Like, German Rap I don't listen to outside of a few loosies here and there, but I've still been following interviews almost on a daily basis for the last 10 years. Well, German Rap is much more entertaining outside of the music than US Rap anyway tbh and interviews have gotten something like special events that people hype up and become viral. Ridiculous beefs all the time, some rappers being protected by criminal Arab clans whose bosses are celebs in the scene themselves and do interviews too (recently one livestreamed with knife wounds after they're been in a shooting with another rap crew's clan), rappers hiring their rival's ex-girlfriends for fucked up pranks on their rivals (making them drink piss without them knowing etc.), a rapper's little brother visiting his brother's rivals all on his own to apologize on camera for his 20 years older brother while 100 scary goons stand around him and then had to be bodyguarded on his way out because people wanted to beat him up... crazy shit here at times 😂

Love anything Drexciya, I'm on it. Did you like the new Mount Kimbie?
I listened to it, not really expecting much, but it kinda surprised me. I don't feel ready to give an official verdict yet on it, but I liked what I heard.

In other news, found the perfect image for all y'all Nav fanboys to spam.
nav-mf.png

Post Malone is believable. I don't listen to his music heavy, but when I do peep him it appears genuine... basically he's not offensive.

MORE PEOPLE SHOULD WATCH ARTIST INTERVIEWS.
I don't care for Lil Uzi Vert, but via youtube auto-play I stumbled across one of his interviews and I opened up to listening to his music. On the opposite end I watched interviews of Vic Vensa and Dave East and did care to listen to their music afterward.

Numb

Post Malone looks like a rich hobo
Every time i see him he has even more tattoos
He shames all with beards. Cut your damn neckbeard ever heard of a trim you bum!

Dereck

Good job to torre on the new OT.

I made my first Hip Hop beat on my laptop a year and a half ago.

Yesterday I released my first Instrumental Hip Hop beat tape which consists of 17 tracks made from Jul 2016 - Sep 2017.

I'm proud to share it with you guys if you're interested, much appreciated.

Koozek

Good job to torre on the new OT.

I made my first Hip Hop beat on my laptop a year and a half ago.

Yesterday I released my first Instrumental Hip Hop beat tape which consists of 17 tracks made from Jul 2016 - Sep 2017.

I'm proud to share it with you guys if you're interested, much appreciated.

With harder drums some of these loops could be the base for some disgusting-ass beats on some Alc shit. "Gameofthrones with black people" is grimy, whew. "Loogie" and "hyrool" are nice. Outro too. Loving the overall mood of this whole thing. What stuff have you sampled?

Catvoca

Banned
I know it's been said before but Be is such a fucking masterpiece of a song. I think I've got a half dozen people who don't listen to rap to listen to the album because the song is so undeniably great.

Top Bottom