• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 digital copies not working on Xbox one.

So today when I went to go open the digital copy of the witcher 3 I have on Xbox one, I was greeted by the white start screen with Geralt on it, then a crash back to the dashboard, I tried starting it multiple times and same thing. Then I restarted my Xbox, same issue. My last ditch attempt was to uninstall it and reinstall it, but uninstalling wouldn't allow me to re install it, only telling me that installation had stopped the several times I attempted to do it. I called Microsoft support where the support agent informed me that it was an ongoing issue and I was not the first caller in regards to it, she gave me a time frame of it being back up in 24 to 48 hours and a reference number that was it, just wanted to warn fellow witcher players on the Xbox one who went digital, and find out if I was the only one here with the issue. Apparently it's on CDPR's side but I don't get that when the game was downloaded on Xbox live and worked fine up until today. All I want to do is hunt some monsters.

Update: the issue is listed on the Microsoft support page now.

gossi

Working here. Can't find any other reference online.

Edit: update - it's listed on the dashboard now. "Are you unable to launch or install The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? We’re working to address this ASAP! "

Dat DRM.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Something like this happened for a few hours with Far Cry 4 and Lords of the Fallen. A glitch probably removed it from the store. They fixed it pretty quickly with the other two games. I wonder why it's happening again. Weird.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Something like this happened for a few hours with Far Cry 4 and Lords of the Fallen. A glitch probably removed it from the store. They fixed it pretty quickly with the other two games. I wonder why it's happening again. Weird.
Far Cry 4 also affected physical copies.

Noobcraft

Yeah it's a digital problem. My physical copy works just fine. The same thing has happened before with other games as mentioned above.

gossi

ZNl4Afb.jpg

What a week for CDPR (if this is on them and not MS).

It's on MS. Same error code I received with ODST earlier this week, when it came out. Probably something that went awry with their authentication/privilege checking. Could also be location-based, that ODST error sure was. Probably will be fixed soon.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Edit: update - it's listed on the dashboard now. "Are you unable to launch or install The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt? We’re working to address this ASAP! "
Cool feature. That's like the Battle.Net launcher.

Do you have a screenshot?

Noobcraft

nah. this is not a "whoops" situation. I'd love to know why you can't launch an item you paid for. how does such a glitch even exist? can you even launch digital copies on xbone when offline?
Yes. The issue here is the license was revoked for digital copies by some error.

gossi

nah. this is not a "whoops" situation. I'd love to know why you can't launch an item you paid for. how does such a glitch even exist? can you even launch digital copies on xbone when offline?

The same thing happened with ODST earlier this week, and Far Cry 4 on release. If MS accidentally revoke your license or the license server messes up, you cannot launch the game until they fix it.

Doukou

I've had this error before and now.
This happened with Watchdogs which started working after 6 or so hours.
Very annoying.

MaulerX

Yep, can't play my digital copy. It's been a few hours now actually. Total BS for this shit to happen on my day off. Come on Microsoft this shit shouldn't be happening. SMH...

Of course you can, but somehow, some back-end fuck ups can still affect your digital copy from launching. Which is total bullshit. Not sure how that is even possible.

Yes, you can launch digital titles when offline if your Xbox One is set as Home Xbox (and that gamertag is the one that purchased the title). But this is related to a licensing issue.

Lothars

Don't worry I am sure CDPR is glad to do this, maybe they don't agree with anyone selling their game but ideally the situation will be fixed asap. It's definitely not acceptable to happen.

Yes, you can launch digital titles when offline if your Xbox One is set as Home Xbox (and that gamertag is the one that purchased the title). But this is related to a licensing issue.

does anything like this happen ever on steam or psn? borderline unacceptable if you ask me

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
There are a few on there that wrote that it crashed in the middle of playing it and afterwards they were unable to start it again.

Of course that could also be coincidence as there have been regular crashes related to TW3.
Mine crashed mid game and threw me out. I get that errors happen and understand nothing in this world is perfect, but kicking me out right at the end of a quest is kind of annoying to say the least!

MaulerX

No. If you were online when the error occurred on XBL it doesn't work offline either, as you lack the license to launch the title.

Do we know for a fact it's a licensing issue? The error message doesn't mention anything about not having a license. It says:

Try again later

Sorry, we can't launch this right now. Thanks for your patience. (0x87de2726)

Weird, I played twice today, each time for a few hours, no issues. X1 digital copy here, so it's definitely not affecting everyone. Wonder what it could be. Maybe I was playing before this became an issue, I last was on about 4 hours ago.

Teletraan1

Banned
The same thing happened with ODST earlier this week, and Far Cry 4 on release. If MS accidentally revoke your license or the license server messes up, you cannot launch the game until they fix it.

So what happens when that server is taken down in 20 years?

MaulerX

Weird, I played twice today, each time for a few hours, no issues. X1 digital copy here, so it's definitely not affecting everyone. Wonder what it could be. Maybe I was playing before this became an issue, I last was on about 4 hours ago.

You probably played before it became an issue. I too played earlier in the day with no issues. Went out to do a few errands, came back and boom, can't launch. It's been about two hours now.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Been playing all day and still online with it now. Probably go offline with the console until its sorted though.

malcher

Out of curiosity I booted my digital W3 and it loaded fine just a couple minutes ago. Maybe it's solved or does not affect all stores (mine was bought from Polish marketplace)?

Top Bottom