• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Truly Weird Stuff Showing Up in Steam Database (Halo, KOF13, other unlikely stuff)

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Is Fez coming to Steam really that weird? I thought it was pretty much guaranteed.

A lot of it has to do it previous commentary from Phil Fish and the spite that it induces in many gamers who simply want to rub his nose in it. They would rather agitate the issue to feel highly of themselves due to the slightly controversial nature of its development history and external factors surrounding it, rather than swallow a pill and play the game.

zychi

Banned
any chance, since xbox is basically a closed down version of windows, that the next xbox is more open, and something like steam or origin may be allowed on it? with backwards compatibility and a more open(but still super closed) structure occurring?

shaowebb

I really hope KoF XIII , 02UM, and 98UM all get good netcode via steam. Good God 13 with good netcode would be insanely hype for me. I only have 2 people I can play with and its only when one of us has a day off which means its far and in between. Thing is all of us are definitely hooked and in the lab when we are apart though as we are all seeing improvements with our cast each time we meet up.

If we could just play online it'd be soooooooo much better for us all. We could play more than just lab warrior most of the time.

I'd immediately buy all three of those KoF games if they came out. 98um, 02um and XIII on Steam with good netcode would be the greatest. Love those games.

well fable 3 was approved for steam. and alan wake.

Alan Wake was self-published on PC.

Halo 1 isn't odd at all to be showing up on steam, really.

Halo 2 is a little weird because they just killed the servers.

Halo 3 is pretty weird because it actually requires some effort.

It was.

Microsoft published XBLA titles actually have pretty good policies. Short timed exclusive, then can be ported.

Fez and Dust are coming very soon.

Is there actually a source on Dust? I did some googling the other day for info about a PC release and found nothing.

Huh? Halo 2 was only Vista exclusive at the time because of DX10, you can play it on W7.

Halo 2 was Vista exclusive because MS intentionally made a single map load in a way that Win XP wouldn't be able to handle. IIRC Win XP could handle loading in 64 bit chunks so they made 1 of the chunks from the Gravemind level 65 bits big. Just 1 single piece just to be able to say it wouldn't run on XP.

I may be misspeaking on the exact technical details, but that is pretty much what they did. It was hacked to work in XP in a day though.

DocSeuss

And yet no classic Age of Empires. :( Rise of Rome itself even works just fine* on Win7 x64!

* Well, you have to kill explorer.exe to remove the "confetti" which is otherwise peppered throughout the water tiles. But other than that, it's perfect.

I thought this was an Age of Empires 2 issue, not an Age of Empires: Rise of Rome issue.

Age of Empires (original) is running just fine for me. Been playing it more than anything else the past week.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I hope that if they are porting Halo 3 that they also crack open the code for Halo 1 and code proper widescreen hud elements in and throw in online co-op.

I will pay good money for these ports and I would be shocked if they didn't jet to the topsellers immediately.

HoosTrax

What Dust game are people talking about? Googling "dust game" is...unhelpful...note to devs, pick a Google-able subtitle please. Assume we're not talking about From Dust. The EVE Online spinoff Dust 514?

edit: nvm, just checked the link above :s

IIRC, Halo 2 used a DX9 renderer.
Halo 2 was Vista exclusive because MS intentionally made a single map load in a way that Win XP wouldn't be able to handle. IIRC Win XP could handle loading in 64 bit chunks so they made 1 of the chunks from the Gravemind level 65 bits big. Just 1 single piece just to be able to say it wouldn't run on XP.

I may be misspeaking on the exact technical details, but that is pretty much what they did. It was hacked to work in XP in a day though.
Ah, interesting. I remember some fiddling being done to get it on XP, but I don't think it allowed for multiplayer. Knowing that's the entire extent they went to make it not work on XP now makes the exclusivity seem even dumber. To think they thought it had that much pull.

Sentenza

"Frankenstein" is the code name of their community tester group. It's also been leaked a week ago a new Civ5 expansion pack is in the works.
So, another confirmation about how most of the stuff in that list could be legit.
Excellent.

alstein

I really hope KoF XIII , 02UM, and 98UM all get good netcode via steam. Good God 13 with good netcode would be insanely hype for me. I only have 2 people I can play with and its only when one of us has a day off which means its far and in between. Thing is all of us are definitely hooked and in the lab when we are apart though as we are all seeing improvements with our cast each time we meet up.

I think we'd get the best netcode if SNKP provides none and the community does it instead.

iavi

I think its all real. Every mention. There's nothing on there that's wack to the point of being impossible, just a lot of stuff that we never thought probable, already confirmed, or hinted at.

I'll buy so much of that list when it comes to fruition.

InPlosion

I wish valve or microsoft would just come out and say something, just to put our restless souls at ease, for the good or the worse.

Omega

Banned
I don't think I'm being foolish when I say that there is no point in porting such an old game on PC.

You're saying there would be no point in porting the second best playable Halo game online? What's the alternatives? Halo 1 PC, Halo Reach or Halo 4?

LOL

Halo 1 PC is the only one worth playing. You couldn't pay me to play Reach or 4.

There are still non-xbox gamers that have an interest in Halo. It's stupid that it would take them 6 years to port it, but not pointless.

"The King of Fighters games all run on Windows XP-based arcade hardware as it is, so cleaning them up to make barebones PC versions wouldn't be that difficult."

This is the case for almost all current fighting games except namco ones (that run on modified PS3s) and VF which runs on PC hardware, but runs something like a Linux-based embedded OS.

Tain

"The King of Fighters games all run on Windows XP-based arcade hardware as it is, so cleaning them up to make barebones PC versions wouldn't be that difficult."

This is the case for almost all current fighting games except namco ones (that run on modified PS3s) and VF which runs on PC hardware, but runs something like a Linux-based embedded OS.

Actually, wonderfully, as of Final Showdown VF runs on the Windows-based RINGEDGE hardware.

Omega

Banned
I don't get why you are so against games coming to other platforms. Literally every game should be on PC.

what makes it worse is that he wants Gears 2 ported instead.

the worst game of a trilogy that's 5 years old is somehow a good thing.

Gears 2 makes Reach look like [insert what you think the best FPS ever is] for those who haven't played it and Reach is worse than MW2. Nothing is good about this game, even the menu sucks.

Sentenza

Gears 2 makes Reach look like [insert what you think the best FPS ever is] for those who haven't played it and Reach is worse than MW2. Nothing is good about this game, even the menu sucks.
Never bothered trying it, but considering the fierce dislike I had for the first one, I don't have a hard time believing you.
GoW as a saga is *completely* unappealing to me, while I enjoyed Halo to a reasonable extent.

"Actually, wonderfully, as of Final Showdown VF runs on the Windows-based RINGEDGE hardware."

Sega's done really well recently with PC gaming, I hope they port, but they won't even port Border Break.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
I thought Gears 3 was the one that everyone agreed sucked.

I didn't like it at least. Bullet sponges were no fun to shoot after playing Binary Domain.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I thought this was an Age of Empires 2 issue, not an Age of Empires: Rise of Rome issue.

Age of Empires (original) is running just fine for me. Been playing it more than anything else the past week.

Well, the two share the same engine, so it should come as no surprise that the issue affects both.

Sentenza

On a side note, spotting The Witness on that list made me go to check the development blog and... Damn, looks like the game is shaping up quite finely:

shot_2013.01.03__time_17_05_n01.png

World_Map_Edited.jpg

"Current puzzle count: 505." - Jonathan Blow

Omega

Banned
I thought Gears 3 was the one that everyone agreed sucked.

I didn't like it at least. Bullet sponges were no fun to shoot after playing Binary Domain.

I don't know how to explain that one. Gears 2 was atrocious and no one liked it. Epic tried to change the gameplay to what they wanted Gears to be and didn't like the fast-paced, close quarters oriented style the multiplayer was in the first game.

The game was a mess and games would last ridiculously long. It would end up being long range stalemates because the Hammerburst was ridiculously OP and would 3 shot anyone. The game had a terrible netcode so host had an even bigger advantage than in 1.

I don't see how anyone can like Gears 2. While it does some things better than 3, it's not even close. 2 also had the worst maps of the trio.

Krabboss

Those KOF games are basically on PC already, as I'm sure some people have pointed out already. Their arcade versions run on Taito Type X hardware that is just a PC running a modified Win XP or something. Porting them would be trivial.

Robot Pants

I don't know how to explain that one. Gears 2 was atrocious and no one liked it. Epic tried to change the gameplay to what they wanted Gears to be and didn't like the fast-paced, close quarters oriented style the multiplayer was in the first game.

The game was a mess and games would last ridiculously long. It would end up being long range stalemates because the Hammerburst was ridiculously OP and would 3 shot anyone. The game had a terrible netcode so host had an even bigger advantage than in 1.

I don't see how anyone can like Gears 2. While it does some things better than 3, it's not even close. 2 also had the worst maps of the trio.
I like you.

Sentenza

Those KOF games are basically on PC already, as I'm sure some people have pointed out already. Their arcade versions run on Taito Type X hardware that is just a PC running a modified Win XP or something. Porting them would be trivial.
I never bothered trying it myself, but I actually read you can already play these games on PC with some sort of Taito front-end/emulator.
So yeah, porting them properly on Steam would be mostly a matter of tweaking menus, netcode and so on.

Top Bottom