• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumours: Durango to be called "Xbox", MS to make X-Surface portable gaming system

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Microsoft took a look at the Vita floundering like a fish out of water with its 'console experiences' and thought, "hey, we need a piece of that action"? Right.

ThreeSixty

December 16, 2009. 4:00 AM. THE LIGHT FIELD is the force. The mind. That guides. Controls.
I really can't see MS going with the name "Xbox". That just doesn't seem like a plausible possibility. It's the same name of a machine that was already released. Like for example if Sony opted to call PS4 just "PlayStation". It would be confused with the 100-million unit selling PlayStation 1, or as it was called at the time the Sony PlayStation. Because it's the same name. Same confusion would happen here.

Xbox 8 or Xbox Infinity is more plausible. Even Xbox 720 to be honest.

X-Surface has absolutely no ring to it, hope that's a code name.

I really can't see MS going with the name "Xbox". That just doesn't seem like a plausible possibility. It's the same name of a machine that was already released. Like for example if Sony opted to call PS4 just "PlayStation". It would be confused with the 100-million unit selling PlayStation 1, or as it was called at the time the Sony PlayStation. Because it's the same name. Same confusion would happen here.

Xbox 8 or Xbox Infinity is more plausible. Even Xbox 720 to be honest.

It's not that hard to believe. After the re branding of the new 360 logo with W8 and the Windows Store, they've been calling apps "Xbox Smartglass" and "Xbox Music" with no "360" in the name.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Tablet with a true Call of Duty, Xbox Live and the 360 controller will sell like gangbusters.

Gang.

Busters.

Sounds like a wiiU gamepad. Maybe miracast when you're at home, and wifi when out and about? Might be a bit leggy but you'd cope I think.

Sony really needs to make remote play mandatory to both vita and tablets

So this x-surface thing is aimed at Japan right?

So Microsoft took a look at the Vita floundering like a fish out of water with its 'console experiences' and thought, "hey, we need a piece of that action"? Right.
Microsoft doesn't have shitty advertising like Sony. I have yet to meet someone outside my circle that knows vita exist. This will do Waaaayyyy better than vita IMHO.

Dabanton

So it was clickbait as suspected. The trolls really are having fun with sections of the enthusiast gaming press who are happy to run any rumour least they miss out on those clicks by being 'first'

Caturday is a banned meme around these parts though you might get lucky maybe

Yeah, it has been for a long, long time. But upon occasion in very special threads they have allowed it. I feel like this thread is pretty apt. But this is the last i'll speak of it before i get banned for caturday begging :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Xbox branding makes sense. They are already using it for music and video, and kinect voice control. And it's simpler

Alx

Xbox branding makes sense. They are already using it for music and video, and kinect voice control. And it's simpler

I was hoping that they wouldn't keep the "xbox" keyword for kinect voice commands, and allow us to choose our own. I would like to be able to say "Jarvis, read the DVD" or "Alfred, open the tray". :p

GavinGT

Banned
"Xbox" seems a likely option. But that doesn't really lend veracity to the rumor, as that name has already been heavily rumored. Hopefully they'll also come up with an alternate name for regions like Japan, though.

I am confused is the X-Surface meant to be a portable gaming platform or a way to play games off your Xbox if connected to wifi? And does the proprietary WiFi connection between it and the Xbox mean you have to be within range as well. This sounds like an expensive way of doing what the Wii U is doing, but just making it optional instead.

I mean I am not going to lie I hope the Vita has similar functionality with the PS4, but at least the Vita has and will have it's own games. This sounds like a tablet made exclusively for playing Xbox games remotely. Unless I am understanding it wrong.

goonergaz

I always thought MS went with 360 as they didn't want to sound behind Sony (ie PS3 vs XB2 would make it seem PS3 >>> XB2).

I also think calling it Xbox would beg the question "what will you call the next Xbox!?"

So IMHO it has to be Xbox 'insert cool name here' I like 'Infinity' but then I think what will you call the next one? So whilst I have no idea of the actual name I'm fairly certain it won't be just Xbox or Xbox Infinity.

Globox_82

Banned
i79estz0vsGEt.gif

You can use these...

Believe it or this is actually one of Vita's best selling games and top selling vita bundle. I imagine that Microsoft would be able to get a CoD that doesn't suck.

Oh im sure, i even bought one. But that being said, it was not the saving grace and the amazing game we hoped it to be. And as it shows that Activision doesn't even care. I doubt they would put any more effort into an Xbox-mobile version.

GavinGT

Banned
Microsoft can't support two new systems simultaneously, and it would be foolish to try to break into the portable market at this point.

Jinko

Many casuals refer to the 360 as xbox anyway, most weren't even playing games when the original was around, I don't see much confusion tbh.

What a stupid name, xbox already exists, and to top it off a lot of people I know already call the xbox 360 'my xbox' (so many years later).

3ds and wii u all over again. (and I detest armchair analysts, but this name is just so fucking stupid).

Commercially at least, Apple refer to the iPad as 'iPad' or 'the new 'iPad'.

I don't see an issue with the new Xbox being called exactly that.

GavinGT

Banned
What a stupid name, xbox already exists, and to top it off a lot of people I know already call the xbox 360 'my xbox' (so many years later).

3ds and wii u all over again. (and I detest armchair analysts, but this name is just so fucking stupid).

It didn't seem to hurt Apple.

surly

Banned
Any rumor that includes Microsoft building a portable game platform rings false to me.
Even though the Pocket Lint article is almost certainly complete bullshit, these rumours have been around for a while now, for example: -

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608432/xbox-surface-xbox-tablet-7-inch

I don't think that they would build a handheld like the Vita or 3DS, but a gaming tablet is certainly possible. Maybe it could have controls that detach from the device so it could be used like a regular tablet.

Oh im sure, i even bought one. But that being said, it was not the saving grace and the amazing game we hoped it to be. And as it shows that Activision doesn't even care. I doubt they would put any more effort into an Xbox-mobile version.
Dat Microsoft $$$$$$. Not to mention that Activision and Microsoft have a fantastic relationship.

Cartman86

Banned
Wait so is the X-Surface a local streaming device at launch? Story says it will be able to access the games, music and video hubs of the new Xbox, but will not have any apps of its own...rather be entirely focused on playing full console-quality games. Which means it's essentially a WiiU tablet (but probably better and more expensive). Which to me it seems dumb to not have it be some sort of Windows 8 tablet. If it's not going to have its own apps spending a bunch of money on a dumb terminal seems like a waste. I'm stupid so I would get it, but including it from the get go or making it more feature rich seem important for everyone else.

Also comparing Multitasking functionality to WiiU? LOL!

GavinGT

Banned
Even though the Pocket Lint article is almost certainly complete bullshit, these rumours have been around for a while now, for example: -

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/6/3608432/xbox-surface-xbox-tablet-7-inch

I don't think that they would build a handheld like the Vita or 3DS, but a gaming tablet is certainly possible. Maybe it could have controls that detach from the device so it could be used like a regular tablet.

I don't doubt they're doing something like that, but there's no way in hell they'd position it against Vita and 3DS.

Jb

I would have have liked a subtitle like "Infinity" better. I never liked the Xbox name, sounds cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom