• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 grabs 95% of Consumer Votes after Amazon shuts poll down early

With nearly 95% of the vote (approximately 94.7% in favor of the PS4) Amazon has decided to end the user poll between the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 early. Back on June 13th the marketplace giant ran a Facebook poll to see which one consumers were more interested in between Microsoft and Sony's consoles and it appears that gamers have spoken quite loudly with their Facebook voting.

For now, the final numbers read 38984 votes in favor of the PlayStation 4 with only 2162 votes in favor of the Xbox One. Does anyone know how many employees work at Microsoft?

Originally, the poll was supposed to run for a week and end on June 20th, giving gamers plenty of time to cast a vote and comment in favor of the console they were most looking forward to. Unfortunately, Amazon cut the poll short after there was a massive and clearly lopsided showing of favoritism for one product over the other. This could also be an easy indicator for companies to use as a gauge for the potential purchasing habits of gamers and casual consumers alike for this fall.

Thinking about this logically, there's no real reason as to why Amazon would have wanted to end the poll early given all the free publicity and traffic they were receiving from the unbiased and very public escapade. That is, unless things were cut short, potentially, under coercion from upper management?

In reality, the poll was definitely generating a lot of media buzz, especially from gaming outlets who covered the lopsided-as-a-poorly-done-boob-job poll, with an obvious reporting slant given in favor of Sony's upcoming PlayStation 4. It's not unlikely that the whole event could have incurred the intervention of reputation management agents, perhaps?

Personally, I really wanted to see what the voting habits were going to be like at the end of the official session between both consoles, but I guess we'll have to settle for what they ended up with.

Maybe the good folks at Forbes or Polygon can ping Amazon and find out what really happened? If I were a betting man I'd say a very nonsensical and boilerplate PR response is what we'll all end up with. Such is the fate of these kind of events during the propaganda-fueled warfare of corporate giants.
xbox_one_56766.jpg

Wow. If that poll holds up even HALF as well, Sony is primed for fucking domination. MS may get utterly massacred.

Source: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4-Grabs-95-Consumer-Votes-Amazon-Ends-Poll-Early-56766.html

nizerifin

Banned
I'm a bit skeptical about the sample collected in this poll, but clearly the demand for PS4 outweighs the Xbox One. I just hope I can get one at launch.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Im trying to think about this mess objectively...and i think MS jumped the gun 10 years early and also doesnt have the consumer trust needed for it. Ideally in the future everything is in the cloud, but internet has to be super fast and reliable with no caps, and the company has to be trustworthy enough to do something about our digital content if their company falls apart or moves on. Either way MS has neither. They are running a gamble that getting in early will offset the blow done to their users...or something like that.

:lol

Can't wait for sales numbers.

Launch will be sold out. If it isnt, then id say thats a disaster.

Maybe MS gave Amazon a fat wad of cash to stop the poll early.

I know I would if my product bombed this hard on a poll in front of every Amazon customer.

Shauni

40,000 people, at the end of the day, isn't a huge amount when you consider that the units based for these consoles are in the tens of millions, but I still enjoy laughing at this.

Ultimatum

Banned
spoiler: gamers are shallow

iedTSzsFBeC3c.jpg

will be interesting to see how this data translates into sales, but I really doubt it means anything

Ishmae1

Amazon's own preferences may be clear as well -- the banner imagery was all 3rd party games or Sony exclusives.

This is not looking good at all for Microsoft. I also wonder if those polls and forum posts will have a self-fulfilling prophecy effect/virtuous circle in favour of the PS4.

Online polls held this way are not very good indicators. Similar to specific ones that said Romney had 75% of the vote or Obama had 83%.

Majmun

Could you post the source, buddy?

Forbes also reported on this

Amazon is currently running a Facebook FB -0.34% poll asking consumers which console they’ll purchase, PS4 or Xbox One. With only six hours left in the poll, 95% of the over 40,000 gamers who replied said they’d be purchasing a PS4.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngau...-4-launch-edition-already-sold-out-at-amazon/

I usually buy and support all of the consoles, but MS' Xbox One is making it hard to do so. I'm glad other people are feeling the same.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Never could have imagined things would be like this for Microsoft. 6 weeks ago things were so different...

Too bad the PS4 isn't coming out this summer. Man, if Sony had found a way to even beat November 2013 and grab all the attention and good will while things are fresh in people's mind after E3 ...GAME OVER.

This Christmas season is going to be fun to see. I wonder how this all works out in the real world. Will people that can't find PS4s just go ahead and get an Xbox One? Or vice versa?

Diablos

I hope within several years, the Xbox division goes kerplunk and MS just focuses on making Windows great again. That's my dream, at least.

turnbuckle

Look, I'm solidly in the PS4 camp this upcoming gen, but something doesn't smell right with that poll and its subsequent closure. I would want to believe gamers are showing such lopsided support to the PS4 because of what Microsoft is trying to do, but judging from my own anecdotes (which admittedly mean nil) I don't think Sony has a 19-1 advantage.

I suspect the poll was shut down due to some vote rigging.

What if I'm right, but the rigging was inflating Microsoft's vote total? :p

LCfiner

Im trying to think about this mess objectively...and i think MS jumped the gun 10 years early and also doesnt have the consumer trust needed for it. Ideally in the future everything is in the cloud, but internet has to be super fast and reliable with no caps, and the company has to be trustworthy enough to do something about our digital content if their company falls apart or moves on. Either way MS has neither. They are running a gamble that getting in early will offset the blow done to their users...or something like that.

Launch will be sold out. If it isnt, then id say thats a disaster.

what I'm thinking. Polls are one thing but I suspect that there's plenty of interest to sell out the XBone for Xmas.

But, man, imagine if it doesn't? Will MS finally get the message that they fucked up if they have unsold units sitting on shelves in January?

It will be so interesting to watch all this unfold. We're gonna need those leaked NPD numbers more than ever. :)

Syf

Banned
Hopefully the sales numbers reflect the strong preference for PS4, because a weak bottom line is apparently all that's going to get Microsoft's attention.

Top Bottom