• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Boxing Discussion

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
PBF's picking and choosing of opponents has really gotten f'n annoying... it shouldn't be a question of money anymore, as he's said, he's made more than enough. Fine then cut a friggin deal and start fighting these other people your fans want to see you fight.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Miguel Cotto moved to the 1 spot on their welterweight list, displacing Antonio Margarito. Zab Judah stayed at #5.

Cotto also debuted on their pound-for-pound chart at #10, bumping Jermain Taylor.

The Ring's Welterweight Ratings for period ending June 11

C. Floyd Mayweather USA 38-0
1. Miguel Cotto PUR 30-0
2. Antonio Margarito MEX 34-4
3. Shane Mosley USA 44-4
4. Carlos Baldomir ARG 43-10-6
5. Zab Judah USA 34-5
6. Luis Collazo USA 27-3
7. Kermit Cintron PUR 27-1
8. Joshua Clottey GHA 31-2
9. Oktay Urkal GER 38-4
10. Paul Williams USA 32-0

The Ring's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending June 11

1. Floyd Mayweather USA, welterweight/jr. middleweight
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
3. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight
4. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
5. Ronald Wright USA, middleweight
6. Bernard Hopkins USA, light heavyweight
7. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middleweight
8. Marco Antonio Barrera MEX, jr. lightweight
9. Ricky Hatton GBR, jr. welterweight
10. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight

cthoaa

http://www.mercurynews.com/othersports/ci_6131730

Boxer Toney tests positive for steroids

LOS ANGELES—Three-time champion James Toney tested positive for steroids and could face a one-year suspension from boxing.

Armando Garcia, the California State Athletic Commission's executive officer, said Toney and Danny Batchelder, his opponent in a heavyweight bout May 24 in San Jose, tested positive for two types of steroids. They were suspended indefinitely.

Toney tested positive for boldenone and stanazolol, and Batchelder tested positive for stanazolol and oxandolone, Garcia said. If they don't appeal, the boxers would be suspended one year from the date of their fight.

Steroids, again! Toney's been a favorite of mine for a long time, but a year off is likely gonna lead to his retirement, or at least a split between he and Freddie Roach. Roach said he'd only continue training Toney if he could get down to 215 -- after a year away, Toney will be closer to 315.

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2902353

Corrales' blood-alcohol level was three times the legal limit

LAS VEGAS -- Boxer Diego "Chico" Corrales was driving drunk at more than three times the legal limit when he crashed his motorcycle and died, police said Tuesday.

"It's quite possible that had he not been impaired, he could have prevented his accident," Las Vegas police Sgt. Tracy McDonald said after toxicology tests showed Corrales' blood-alcohol content was 0.25 percent. The legal limit for drivers in Nevada is 0.08 percent.

"Bottom line, no one else did anything wrong," McDonald said of an investigation that found speed was a factor and no drugs were in Corrales' system when he died May 7 at age 29. "He basically killed himself."

Corrales had a history of drunken driving and was riding without a valid license, court officials and the state Department of Motor Vehicles have said.

Crazy stuff. At the least, no one else was hurt in the crash.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Saw this on ESPN: Mayweather says he's ready to hurt Hatton
Ricky Hatton wants a shot at Floyd Mayweather Jr., considered by many to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in boxing. It looks like he might get his wish.

Mayweather said Tuesday he will come out of retirement to put Hatton in his place.

"I was retired but I'll sign to fight Hatton right now. I've tried to let the things he said about me slide by, but now he's 'dissing' me on national TV and I want to shut him up. I've never wanted to hurt an opponent like I do Hatton.

"Ricky Hatton cannot fight. He throws one punch at a time and then holds. Hatton is the most overrated fighter of the last 25 years."

DarienA

Yeah I saw an article on Eastside Boxing... man I hope this fight happens....

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
That would be a great fight. Even though I think Pretty Boy will take it Hatton has a punchers chance. His style also could give Floyd some problems. Hatton looked pretty damn strong against Castillo. Hopefully this fight happens.

Kingpen

This fight will happen for sure. It will be a big payday as well. All race cards aside, there has not been a fight of this caliber for a long time.

Battle of undefeated records as well. I just hope that hatton gets a nice payday, cause he certainly deserves it.

cthoaa

The Ring updated their ratings for the week.

Ricky Hatton retained Ring's Jr. Welterweight Championship by beating Jose Luis Castillo. Previously the #1 contender, Castillo was dropped to fifth following the loss.

On their pound-for-pound chart, Hatton was moved to eighth, displacing Marco Antonio Barrera.

The Ring's Junior Welterweight Ratings for period ending June 25

C. Ricky Hatton GBR 43-0 (31)
1. Junior Witter GBR 35-1-2 (20)
2. Vivian Harris GUY 28-2-1 (18)
3. Paul Malignaggi USA 23-1 (5)
4. Souleymane M'baye FRA 35-1-1 (20)
5. Jose Luis Castillo MEX 55-8-1 (47)
6. Lovemore Ndou AUS 45-9-1 (30)
7. Juan Lazcano MEX 37-4-1 (27)
8. Demetrius Hopkins USA 26-0-1 (10)
9. Kendall Holt USA 22-1 (12)
10. Andreas Kotelnik UKR 28-2-1 (12)

The Ring's Pound for Pound Ratings for period ending June 25

1. Floyd Mayweather USA, welterweight/jr. middleweight
2. Manny Pacquiao PHI, jr. lightweight
3. Rafael Marquez MEX, jr. featherweight
4. Juan Manuel Marquez MEX, jr. lightweight
5. Ronald Wright USA, middleweight
6. Bernard Hopkins USA, light heavyweight
7. Joe Calzaghe GBR, super middleweight
8. Ricky Hatton GBR, jr. welterweight
9. Marco Antonio Barrera MEX, jr. lightweight
10. Miguel Cotto PUR, welterweight

Aisenherz

Banned
cthoaa said:
1. Sugar Ray Robinson
2. Muhammad Ali
3. Henry Armstrong
4. Joe Louis
5. Willie Pep
6. Roberto Duran
7. Benny Leonard
8. Jack Johnson
9. Jack Dempsey
10. Sam Langford
11. Joe Gans
12. Sugar Ray Leonard
13. Harry Greb
14. Rocky Marciano
15. Jimmy Wilde
16. Gene Tunney
17. Mickey Walker
18. Archie Moore
19. Stanley Ketchel
20. George Foreman
21. Tony Canzoneri
22. Barney Ross
23. Jimmy McLarnin
24. Julio Cesar Chavez
25. Marcel Cerdan
26. Joe Frazier
27. Ezzard Charles
28. Jake LaMotta
29. Sandy Saddler
30. Terry McGovern
31. Billy Conn
32. Jose Napoles
33. Ruben Olivares
34. Emile Griffith
35. Marvin Hagler
36. Eder Jofre
37. Thomas Hearns
38. Larry Holmes
39. Oscar De La Hoya
40. Evander Holyfield
41. Ted "Kid" Lewis
42. Alexis Arguello
43. Marco Antonio Barrera
44. Pernell Whitaker
45. Carlos Monzon
46. Roy Jones Jr.
47. Bernard Hopkins
48. Floyd Mayweather Jr.
49. Erik Morales
50. Mike Tyson
Are you KIDDING me???? And Evander above Tyson? Naaaaah!

karasu said:
OMG this guy is AWESOME!

cthoaa

KO of the Year candidate -- from last week's Friday Night Fights, Emmanuel Nwodo vs. Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson for the USBA Cruiserweight Championship.

Link (YouTube)

DarienA

cthoaa said:
KO of the Year candidate -- from last week's Friday Night Fights, Emmanuel Nwodo vs. Darnell "Ding-A-Ling Man" Wilson for the USBA Cruiserweight Championship.

Link (YouTube)

Yeah I Watched that fight last night. Darnell did absolutely squat a majority of that fight. But he's got such power that all it takes it one shot... what is comedy is the first short that hurts Nwodo, and the subsequent chase around the ring that leads up to the knockout shot. The sound of that hit actually made my other half cringe, and she loves boxing. It really is a vicious hit.

Oh and Emmanuel Augustus is the f'n man, I love watching him fight on ESPN. ESPN loves him too.

cthoaa

nonito-donaire_vic-darchinyan.gif

Big knockout/upset in the lower weights this weekend.

Nonito Donaire won the IBO and IBF Flyweight Championships from previous unbeaten Vic Darchinyan.

The finish reminded me of the Tszyu-Judah fight, with Darchinyan staggering while trying to beat the count.

Link to KO (YouTube)

Yeah I Watched that fight last night. Darnell did absolutely squat a majority of that fight. But he's got such power that all it takes it one shot... what is comedy is the first short that hurts Nwodo, and the subsequent chase around the ring that leads up to the knockout shot. The sound of that hit actually made my other half cringe, and she loves boxing. It really is a vicious hit.

Cool. I didn't see it, and didn't have any context of the fight prior the end. From just this clip and Nwodo's shaky legs, I had thought it might have been a more prolonged beating over several rounds.

DarienA

cthoaa said:
Cool. I didn't see it, and didn't have any context of the fight prior the end. From just this clip and Nwodo's shaky legs, I had thought it might have been a more prolonged beating over several rounds.

Nyah the first shot the started the chase really hurt him, and then it was off to the races til the KO blow.

Nice KO by Nate Campbell as well... he better get his much deserved title shot soon.

DarienA

Kermit Cintron... holy shit now that was destruction. That's what happens when you put Manny in your corner.

Alfonso Gomez... Rhonda and I always make fun of how he looks like a little kid, and he doesn't have much KO power, but he just dominated Gatti. Gatti definitely looked old and tired in there and I'm not surprised he announced his retirement after that butt whuppin... Gomez jab and straight right just couldn't miss. Thanks for the memories Gatti.

Paul Williams... Sorry Margarito, you might have been landing the harder shots, but Williams was busy landing a much higher volume of combinations. Smiling because the shot doesn't hurt you doesn't change the fact that the shots were landing... in volume. For a majority of the early rounds Williams just out produced Margarito. Margarito couldn't get close to land anything and Williams was landing at will from all angles. Williams definitely tired around the 8th 9th round which allowed Margarito to close and land more shots, but he never hurt Williams.... Finally Williams sucked it up after losing a few rounds near the end to once again totally control the 12th. While I think Williams deserves the win, I question how long he'll be able to hold on to the belt...

Man the Welterweight division is smokin right now... all that and the current rumor that De La Hoya might return to that division as well....

Ash_69

Anyone see the Khan-Limond fight. That was unreal. One of the most exciting fights i've seen in ages, shame it was followed by the borefest that was Sprott-Skelton.
Khan showed he's got the heart. That the first time I can remember him taking some good shots and he still came back and broke Limonds jaw. The new Prince Naseem?

cthoaa

Yahoo's Kevin Iole said:
CARSON, Calif. - The media covering the Paul Williams-Antonio Margarito WBO welterweight title fight had a varied opinion on the outcome:

Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports: Margarito, 116-112

Tim Smith, New York Daily News: Draw, 114-114

Steve Springer, Los Angeles Times: Draw, 114-114

Bill Dwyre, Los Angeles Times: Margarito, 115-113

Steve Kim, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Doug Fischer, MaxBoxing.com: Margarito, 115-113

Jerry Magee, San Diego Union-Tribune: Williams,
116-112

Robert Morales, Los Angeles Daily News: Williams,
115-113

Carlos Arias, Orange County Register: Williams,
115-113

David Avila, Riverside Press Enterprise: Draw, 114-114

Francisco Salazar, Fightnews.com: Draw, 114-114

I thought this was a comfortable win for Williams. Not that it was easy and definitely not that he didn't take a few lumps, but I felt that he had built such a big lead early -- in the end, I had it something like a four-point win.

When they read the scores, I couldn't believe that Williams needed a round (most likely the twelfth) on two cards to avoid a majority draw. And reading the above where people posted draws or had Margarito winning... I don't know how that could be.

DarienA said:
Smiling because the shot doesn't hurt you doesn't change the fact that the shots were landing... in volume.

Yah, that was really annoying me! Especially as he did this in rounds that were lopsided (or so I thought).

cthoaa

Ash_69 said:
Anyone see the Khan-Limond fight. That was unreal. One of the most exciting fights i've seen in ages, shame it was followed by the borefest that was Sprott-Skelton.
Khan showed he's got the heart. That the first time I can remember him taking some good shots and he still came back and broke Limonds jaw. The new Prince Naseem?

The final four rounds are (were?) on YouTube. The crowd was definitely into it from the sounds of it, but the quality was kinda poor and I couldn't make out all the action. I might try to get this on a comp.

Does Khan have any other notable, must-watch pro fights? All I've seen of him have been Olympic/amateur stuff, which were good.

cthoaa

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2944031

LAS VEGAS -- Their light heavyweight championship match is titled "Coming to Fight," and champion Bernard Hopkins and Winky Wright got a head start on the action at Friday's weigh in at Mandalay Bay after Hopkins instigated a scuffle.

There were some punches exchanged between camps and a lot of pushing and shoving before order was restored. Hopkins stormed off the stage, along with promoter Oscar De La Hoya.

Keith Kizer, executive director of the Nevada Athletic Commission, and two members of the commission who were also present -- Joe Brown and Dr. Tony Alamo Jr. -- reviewed ESPN's video footage of the incident and determined that Hopkins threw the first blow.

Kizer said that 10 percent of Hopkins' $3 million purse ($300,000) would be held by the commission and that a complaint would be filed against him Monday.

Weigh-in + scuffle (YouTube)

I thought the Bernard's missing picture on a milk carton was a really lame promotion. This is a bit more aggressive, albeit dangerous. (And expensive!)

20070518_inq_hopkins18-b.JPG

hopkins18_400.jpg

capt.6ea3d6fd1f714b869417e2c81707d894.hopkins_wright_boxing_nvjh105.jpg

HBO's Countdown to Hopkins-Wright, really well done
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

cthoaa

The flyweights are dropping like ...flies.

First, Jorge Arce dropped a lopsided decision to Cristian Mijares earlier this year. Then Vic Darchinyan got KOed by Nonito Donaire. Now, WBC Flyweight Champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (63-3) of Thailand drops a decision to Japan's Daiskue Naito (31-2-2), his first loss in over ten years.

Though well-protected by his promoters and his record quite padded by fodder, Wongjangkam still had gone unbeaten in 56 fights, including 2 wins over Naito.

Collectively, Arce, Darchinyan, and Wongjongkam went undefeated for 25+ years and 110 fights. All three have posted losses in their latest outings and potential fights between them are far less lucrative. The Arce-Darchinyan fight in particular has lost lots of luster, and while the match still happen, it's not nearly the big, million-dollar megafight it would have been last year.

Boxing in Asia Blog
Video Link - Wongjankam-Naito (Stage6)

And Japan's controversial boxing superstar, unbeaten flyweight Koki Kameda (15-0) fights this coming weekend...

Ash_69

cthoaa said:
The final four rounds are (were?) on YouTube. The crowd was definitely into it from the sounds of it, but the quality was kinda poor and I couldn't make out all the action. I might try to get this on a comp.

Does Khan have any other notable, must-watch pro fights? All I've seen of him have been Olympic/amateur stuff, which were good.

All of his pro fights are highly watchable.:D Though I wouldn't call them competitive. Most of them have been ko annihilations within 3 rounds. Seriously, look up any of his pro fights, I cant remember him having a poor fight.

DarienA

cthoaa said:
The flyweights are dropping like ...flies.

First, Jorge Arce dropped a lopsided decision to Cristian Mijares earlier this year. Then Vic Darchinyan got KOed by Nonito Donaire. Now, WBC Flyweight Champion Pongsaklek Wonjongkam (63-3) of Thailand drops a decision to Japan's Daiskue Naito (31-2-2), his first loss in over ten years.

Though well-protected by his promoters and his record quite padded by fodder, Wongjangkam still had gone unbeaten in 56 fights, including 2 wins over Naito.

Collectively, Arce, Darchinyan, and Wongjongkam went undefeated for 25+ years and 110 fights. All three have posted losses in their latest outings and potential fights between them are far less lucrative. The Arce-Darchinyan fight in particular has lost lots of luster, and while the match still happen, it's not nearly the big, million-dollar megafight it would have been last year.

Boxing in Asia Blog
Video Link - Wongjankam-Naito (Stage6)

And Japan's controversial boxing superstar, unbeaten flyweight Koki Kameda (15-0) fights this coming weekend...

My fiance and I have watchd Vic D for awhile now, and it was pretty obvious that he was going to have trouble with someone who was quick and had power. VERY few fights can survive constantly having their hands down like he does, and it was just a matter of time.

cthoaa

A marketing kit for last weekend's Bernard Hopkins-Winky Wright PPV reveals the event's targeted demographics and the cost to sponsor. Some highlights:

2). Market Reach

d). Boxing Fan Base:

Boxing fans are enthusiastic, devoted and often “fanatical” about the sport.
Age and ethnicity demographics shift with each weight division and how a
boxing match is delivered (such as live event, cable programming or
pay-per-view). Talented boxers on the rise often have a cult-like following.
Unlike years past where the heavyweight division led the charge in fan-base,
now many of the middle and lower divisions are the hottest tickets with the
most exciting and entertaining fighters. Winky Wright and Bernard Hopkins
fall into that category.

The fans of boxing have traditionally represented a 35-64 year old white
male at home watching a boxing match on a major broadcast network, but due
to the influx of music industry celebrities into the boxing world and the
MTV generation becoming adults who grew up watching cable television, boxing
fans are beginning to become younger (18-34) and the age demographic has
become more widespread (18-54). With the popularity of fighters like Oscar
De La Hoya, women now have more interest in the sport than ever before.

e). Target Demographics:

i). GENDER:

86% Male
14% Female

ii). *RACE:

82.5% White
12.5% Hispanic
4% Black
1% Other

iii). AGE:

29% A18-34
48% A35-49
23% A50+

iv). EDUCATION:

34% HS Graduates
11% College Graduates
6.5% Post-Grad Degree holders
48.5% Other

v). MARITAL STATUS:

26% Single
53% Married
03% Separated
11% Divorced
07% Widowed

vi). EMPLOYMENT STATUS:

55% Full Time Employees
12% Part Time Employees
06% Not Employed
14% Retired
13% Other (Students, Homemakers, Disabled)

vii). HOUSEHOLD INCOME LEVELS:

6% HH Income less than $25,000
15% HH Income $25,000 - $49,999
43% HH Income $50,000 - $59,999
22% HH Income $60,000 - $74,999
8% HH Income $75,000 - $99,999
4% HH Income $100,000 - $149,999
2% HH Income $150,000 or more

4). Additional Items Available

b). Roster of Additional Fighters from Winky and Round One Endorsements

Ronald “Winky” Wright (Middleweight)
Felix “Tito” Trinidad (Middleweight)
Marcus Johnson (Light Heavyweight)
Laila Ali (WBC Women’s Light Heavyweight)
Jose Rodriguez (Jr. Middleweight)
Jeff Lacy (Super Middleweight)
Andre Berto (Olympian) (Welterweight.)
Darrell Madison (Heavyweight)
Juan Domingez (Featherweight)
Deferson Legrand (Middleweight)
A 10,000 USD sponsorship of Winky Wright would have bought use of the Round One logo, discounted admission to the event, and two tickets to the after-party.

Center ring signage (Rockstar Energy Drink) is part of a sponsor's package costing a minimum of 350000 USD. Turnbuckle branding (Tecate Beer) is part of a minimum 225000 package.

cthoaa

I rewatched Khan-Limond off of YouTube, courtesy of FrankWarren.tv. (Awesome; US promoters need to so something similar. Improve their net presence.)

Khan-Limond (YouTube)

The first few rounds were pretty measured; somewhat pedestrian. The drama of the last three was just awesome.

Khan's combination overhand rights are cool -- he looks like Erik Morales when he was younger and lighter.

However, I understand Limond informally complained about procedures following Khan's knockdown and I can't really blame him.

4m02eww.jpg

First, Khan hits the canvas (2:04).

6blf7f5.jpg

He gets up, receiving the mandatory eight-count (1:56). And then he...

6cctdmt.jpg

Takes a knee (1:54)! A young fighter panicking, or a crafty professional bending the rules to buy himself some time? I think some refs (Nady, for sure! :D ) would have waved him down. Limond's complaint was regarding time given (13 seconds according to him), so maybe BBBoC has a different regulation?

In the end, it didn't really factor as he obviously had his bearings despite being hurt. His uppercut shortly after was a strong statement, as was the knockdown and eventual stoppage.

cthoaa

DarienA said:
My fiance and I have watchd Vic D for awhile now, and it was pretty obvious that he was going to have trouble with someone who was quick and had power. VERY few fights can survive constantly having their hands down like he does, and it was just a matter of time.
The first time I saw Darchinyan fight was against Victor Burgos where he looked so strong and imposing doing what he did. My impression of him was definitely colored.

In the first round vs. Donaire, he was eating counter after counter and getting outmanuevered. Then, I could have seen him getting outboxed to an eventual loss on points, but the severity of his knockout was a shock.

I apologize in advance if this diverts the topic.

But one fight I've always wanted to see (Pretty much my whole life) is an Ewok vs an Oompah Loompa.

Not only traditional Boxing, but potentially UFC style.

Quazar

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
I apologize in advance if this diverts the topic.

But one fight I've always wanted to see (Pretty much my whole life) is an Ewok vs an Oompah Loompa.

Not only traditional Boxing, but potentially UFC style.

I'll be the EWOK and you can be the Oompah Loompa. And we'll go boxing.

Anyways I'm going for Hatton, I remember the first time I seen him fight I knew he had potential to get a big fight one day. And I'm glad he's getting one, just didn't expect Mayweather would do it. This should be awesome, cant wait.

Ash_69

cthoaa said:
I rewatched Khan-Limond off of YouTube, courtesy of FrankWarren.tv. (Awesome; US promoters need to so something similar. Improve their net presence.)

Khan-Limond (YouTube)

The first few rounds were pretty measured; somewhat pedestrian. The drama of the last three was just awesome.

Khan's combination overhand rights are cool -- he looks like Erik Morales when he was younger and lighter.

However, I understand Limond informally complained about procedures following Khan's knockdown and I can't really blame him.

4m02eww.jpg

First, Khan hits the canvas (2:04).

6blf7f5.jpg

He gets up, receiving the mandatory eight-count (1:56). And then he...

6cctdmt.jpg

Takes a knee (1:54)! A young fighter panicking, or a crafty professional bending the rules to buy himself some time? I think some refs (Nady, for sure! :D ) would have waved him down. Limond's complaint was regarding time given (13 seconds according to him), so maybe BBBoC has a different regulation?

In the end, it didn't really factor as he obviously had his bearings despite being hurt. His uppercut shortly after was a strong statement, as was the knockdown and eventual stoppage.

Wow, I missed that. Didn't realise, however I dont think Khan was trying to buy extra time, he just trying to make a statement that it wasn't knock down even though it clearly was. I think that punch to the head scrambled his thoughts.

Boogie

Quazar said:
Impressive fight.
Forrest looking good.
On a sidenote GAF disapoints with boxing fans. Damn nerds. :p

I've sucked up all the potential fight fans. Mwahahahahaha :D

Bog

Junior Ace
Quazar said:
On a sidenote GAF disapoints with boxing fans. Damn nerds. :p

No shit. The girlfriend just got us tickets for the Pavlik/Taylor fight in AC in September. Should be great.

Quazar

Bog said:
No shit. The girlfriend just got us tickets for the Pavlik/Taylor fight in AC in September. Should be great.

Nice man. Should be great, for sure. I'm a big boxing fan but still havent got chance to see a fight live.

DarienA

Catching up on some recent boxing stuff.. let's see I think I mentioned that Hopkins/Wright was a joke... last night I watched Forrest/Baldomir and I see my boy Larry Merchant agreed with me.

Vernon Forrest looked damn good... he frustrated Baldomir and was just quicker. Baldomir looked quicker than he did against Floyd and still had that rock solid chin, but except for occasionally just could not do damage to Vernon.... except for... yeah you know. Old veteran move there... not exactly cool though.

Let's see.. Berto looked nervous, but pretty good... beautifully executed uppercut dropped him but he shook it off(hell he won every round except for that round).

Mike Oliver and Cruz C. Mike looked pretty good during that fight. Cruz really never pressed him for an extended amt of time, just kinda followed him around the ring.

Check out this schedule:

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?page=boxing/schedule/index

Man this is going to be a great fall for boxing. Boxing is dying? Riiiiight.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Saturday nights fight was pretty entertaining. Baldomir was out-classed but Forrest took some risk trying to knock him out. Baldomir has some kind of chin.

Man I got to say my favorite KO of the year has to be the Vic D one. He was such a cocky punk and glad to see him exposed.

Next week we got the Vasquez-Marquez rematch that should be a war. In the first fight they both took some heavy shots. Vasquez dropped Marquez once but in the end Marquez's pin-point punching busted up Vasquez's nose and couldnt continue.

Here are some good match-ups and talked about match-ups coming up

Vasquez-Marquez II
Barrera-Pac II
Taylor-Pavlik
Hatton-Mayweather
Cotto-Mosley
Juan Diaz-Julio Diaz
Calzaghe-Kessler

mrmrec2

Banned
SSGMUN10000 said:
Saturday nights fight was pretty entertaining. Baldomir was out-classed but Forrest took some risk trying to knock him out. Baldomir has some kind of chin.

Man I got to say my favorite KO of the year has to be the Vic D one. He was such a cocky punk and glad to see him exposed.

Vasquez-Marquez II
Barrera-Pac II
Taylor-Pavlik
Hatton-Mayweather
Cotto-Mosley
Juan Diaz-Julio Diaz
Calzaghe-Kessler

I just youtube'd that knockdown (Vic Darchinyan) Man the THUMP of that punch was brutal. You can hear the pain.

cthoaa

Ash_69 said:
Wow, I missed that. Didn't realise, however I dont think Khan was trying to buy extra time, he just trying to make a statement that it wasn't knock down even though it clearly was. I think that punch to the head scrambled his thoughts.
Yeah, it was just a very odd-looking sequence. But as said, he came through fine.

Some news:

http://www.lutontoday.co.uk/lut-sport?articleid=3069304

Luton lightweight boxing champion Graham Earl should finally meet Amir Khan on Saturday, December 8.

That's the date promoters Sports Network have lined up for a mouth-watering clash between the stablemates with the venue likely to be London's ExCeL exhibition centre.

Speculation has been mounting over a possible meeting between WBU world champion Earl, 28, and new Commonwealth king Khan, 20.

It was originally intended for the clash to be staged in Nottingham on October 6. But Khan's wobble, when he had to rise off the canvas before beating Willie Limond earlier this month, has prompted the bout to
be put back.

Both fighters will now take on other opponents in Nottingham before squaring up to each other for what is sure to be a Christmas cracker of a contest later in the year.

cthoaa

SSGMUN10000 said:

I've come to like Baldomir quite a bit and am really indifferent towards Forrest so reading about the result sucked. 154 is kinda weak and Forrest is relatively fresh for his age, so if his shoulder holds up, things could line up for him.

SSGMUN10000 said:
Next week we got the Vasquez-Marquez rematch that should be a war. In the first fight they both took some heavy shots. Vasquez dropped Marquez once but in the end Marquez's pin-point punching busted up Vasquez's nose and couldnt continue.

Here are some good match-ups and talked about match-ups coming up

Vasquez-Marquez II
Barrera-Pac II
Taylor-Pavlik
Hatton-Mayweather
Cotto-Mosley
Juan Diaz-Julio Diaz
Calzaghe-Kessler

The first half of 2007 was really good, and the second looks even better. Also on the horizon:

Chagaev-Ibragimov (first HW unification w/o an American, first HW unification out of US)
IBF heavyweight tournament (winner of Brock, Byrd, Chambers, Povetkin to face Klitschko)
Golden Boy World Cup (MEX vs. PHI)
Soto-Guzman
last fights for Vargas, Morales? (Mayorga and D.Diaz)
possible Dawson-Tarver
possible Cintron-Margarito

kIdMuScLe

Yes! I hope Hatton beats the shit out of mayweather. God i hate mayweather and his runaway tactics. Next year will be great if the Hatton vs. De La Hoya fight happens

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
Cool so its official now for Hatton-Mayweather and Pavlik-Taylor. Interesting to note that Golden Boy promotions will be handling Hatton-Mayweather.

Tom_Cody

The rest of the year is looking fantastic. This is why I was continually annoyed during the build up to DLH-Mayweather. Everyone who said that was the only fight worth caring about can go F themselves.

Pavlik-Taylor, Kessler-Calzaghe, Hatton-Mayweather, and Cotto-Mosley. Simply amazing.

I am personally most excited about Cotto-Mosley. I will be there live for sure. I can't wait for Mosley to knock him out, then go onto fight Mayweather-Hatton winner in the spring.

DarienA

SSGMUN10000 said:
Cool so its official now for Hatton-Mayweather and Pavlik-Taylor. Interesting to note that Golden Boy promotions will be handling Hatton-Mayweather.

That was apparently part of the terms of the Mayweather/De La Hoya contract. That if Oscar lost his company got promotions for Mayweather's next fight.

SSGMUN10000

Connoisseur Of Tedium
DarienA said:
That was apparently part of the terms of the Mayweather/De La Hoya contract. That if Oscar lost his company got promotions for Mayweather's next fight.

Wow smart move by DLH.

cthoaa

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2958364
Holyfield steps in to fight Ibragimov in Moscow

The heavyweight division's first unification title fight since 1999? So much for that. But the October card in Moscow will go on -- thanks to Evander Holyfield.

WBA champion Ruslan Chagaev, who was scheduled to meet WBO titleholder Sultan Ibragimov on Oct. 13 in Moscow, withdrew from the fight Thursday because of an undisclosed stomach ailment, a source involved in the fight said.

Following Chagaev's decision to not fight, Ibragimov's promoters announced that Holyfield would fill the card in a quest to win the the heavyweight title for a fifth time. Holyfield will be fighting in Russia for the first time.

Is this division just cursed or something?

Disappointment aside, Holyfield will not be the favorite here, but he won't be a heavy underdog either. This is a very winnable fight for him, and a fifth reign as champion is a real possibility. However, he is going to take a lot of punches in this fight and coupled w/ damage already sustained and his very visible impairments... it could be argued that taking this fight (or even the last 5) wasn't a good decision.

EDIT: Meanwhile, Riddick Bowe is promoting his next comeback fight: 10 rounds with 24-14 Rocky Phillips, which will be fought on August 19 in a parking lot on Kentucky. Oh, man! :(

Top Bottom