• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOR: Last Story, Xenoblade already localized for NA

JaseMath

Operation Rainfall, a group dedicated to the seemingly impossible task of giving the Wii more than four games this year, has declared potential victory. According to a "source" at Nintendo, both Xenoblade and The Last Story are already prepared for a North American release.

"According to our source, The NSTC version of Xenoblade was completed just over a month ago, while testing for the PAL and NSTC versions of The Last Story could begin in a month," claims the Operation Rainfall frontpage. "There is currently no word on localization for an NSTC version of Pandora’s Tower."

An interesting rumor, although I won't buy it until Nintendo of America comes out and says it. It'd be quite interesting if true, however, that a publisher would sacrifice good grace with its community just to keep an announcement secret until some arbitrary later date. Either that, or the backlash NoA got was of an unexpectedly torrential nature and it's changed its mind.

Anyway, we'll just have to keep holding out. I'm still skeptical that Nintendo of America has a working brain anywhere in its offices, but you never know!
http://www.destructoid.com/rumor-last-story-xenoblade-already-localized-for-na-205577.phtml

Good news! I've been excited about Last Story since it was announced. Don't know much about Xenoblade, but it fleshes out the Wii lineup and that's a good thing.

Sorry if old or already posted.

Futureman

MikeE21286 said:
Hmm....I wonder why Nintendo would squash it if it's already localized and ready to go?

because they could still lose money on it. But at this point, that shouldn't matter. It should be about the good will of the customer.

Shiggy said:
I can absolutely confirm that the NoA Product Testing group has just finished testing Xenoblade Chronicles a few weeks ago. Maybe that's what their informer was talking about.
Shiggy said:
There's a catch: They tested the European version.
Shiggy said:
The Operation Rainfall source said that NoA has finished testing/localisation of the NTSC Xenoblade version. Now I just wonder whether their source got something mixed up: While the NoA Product testing group is done with Xenoblade, it does not necessarily mean that it was the US version.

Already busted.

Futureman said:
because they could still lose money on it. But at this point, that shouldn't matter. It should be about the good will of the customer.

They've already lost money on the localization though if they don't release it.

I guess they're saying the cost of distributing it would be more than what they could receive back? That seems unlikely if they would just run a few small print runs IMO.

Cactus

Banned
CruxisMana said:
Already busted.
Even so, they have to be testing it for a reason. They can easily just release the European localization as it is if they deem it acceptable.

Vamphuntr

Cactus said:
Even so, they have to be testing it for a reason. They can easily just release the European localization as it is if they deem it acceptable.

They also tested Disaster, Another Code R and other EU only titles.

Cactus said:

You don't know how many pussies and cunts may slip by ;)

EU localizations doesn't easily transfer to the US.

dallow_bg said:
Ash and Earthbound also ready to go!
They have their ESRB ratings and everything!
Came to post this.

Guess I was just
tooslow.jpg

Anyone care to speculate on how large the "fully translated but never released" vault that NoA is sitting on? You would hope digital distribution would solve this (at least for first party games) but the current e-shop certainly isn't speeding that along.

It's painfully obvious that Americans will never receive this game.

Come over to Australia where you can enjoy excellent weather, beautiful women and expensive, late electronic products. Including Xenoblade.

Kusagari

Watch a Xenoblade/Monada ESRB rating pop up in 2-3 weeks. Everyone cancels their European pre-orders...and then the game never comes out here.

Cactus

Banned
There was no pressure to localize Disaster, ASH or Another Code. Xenoblade has a disruptive fan campaign behind it.

I'm not saying this means anything concrete, but for NoA to be testing that game at this time is pretty interesting.

EDIT: Is it true that NoA do testing for NoE only titles?? If so, disregard everything I just said.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Aeana said:
Yeah, ASH was totally done. Never came out.

To clarify, when she says totally done, she means it. It was translated. It was ESRB rated. It was product tested by Nintendo of America in English. Done. Good to go.

Frost_Ace

Stumpokapow said:
To clarify, when she says totally done, she means it. It was translated. It was ESRB rated. It was product tested by Nintendo of America in English. Done. Good to go.
...what the fuck...why wasting money on localization then? NOA/NOE are puzzling sometimes...

Frost_Ace said:
...what the fuck...why wasting money on localization then? NOA/NOE are puzzling sometimes...
Presumably because printing and distributing cartridges only to have it mega-bomb would be more expensive than just not releasing it.

I'm sure another company could find a way to make that possible, but you would HOPE they'd have run a sales projection before making the decision to sit on it forever.

These are all the same arguments already expressed long ago in the Xenoblade thread though.

AniHawk

Frost_Ace said:

a long time ago, i was in burma. my friends and i were working for the local government. they were trying to buy the loyalty of tribal leaders by bribing them with precious stones. but their caravans were being raided in a forest north of rangoon by a bandit. so we went looking for the stones. but in six months, we never found anyone who traded with him. one day i saw a child playing with a ruby the size of a tangerine. the bandit had been throwing them away, because he thought it was good sport. because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. they can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. some men just want to watch the world burn.

Stumpokapow said:

Basically. This was the case for Disaster, too. This is standard procedure. Ultimately people have gotta understand that the really expensive bit comes in the investment of producing and distributing the game. If they don't think it's going to fly they won't put it out here even if they think it is done.

Honestly, this is where the Wii has been damaged in my eyes more than any other area for its lack of an online infrastructure. If this was Sony or Microsoft, they'd have the option of putting these out as a download, eliminating those costs almost entirely. Shame. Hopefully the Wii U has a more robust download system.

It would be funny if NoA was hoping to come out with a big announcement and then this operation comes about that spoils their "surprise" plans. They still want to keep it a surprise so they deny the games are coming out which ends up sending lots of fans hatred towards them.

Aeana

ASH was one of the first 2 gigabit games, which likely meant it was pretty expensive to manufacture at the time.

They might have wanted to announce it on their own terms.

It could be their big surprise at their fall conference, or they could port them to Wii to boost up the new system.

They probably weren't at E3 because they were focusing on Zelda, 3DS, and the new console and these games would have gotten as much attention as Sin and Punishment 2 or the new Kirby DS game. NoA could be waiting to really showcase the games to give them enough spotlight individually so that they can sell.

That or Nintendo hates America and is dangling a completed game in front of us at a cost to them just to spite us. After all, a hugely successful company is run by nothing but complete morons/evil geniuses.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
APZonerunner said:
Basically. This was the case for Disaster, too. This is standard procedure.

Was it the case for Disaster, as well? In the case of ASH I only mention it because I personally confirmed it with one of the product testers who worked on the game. Disaster wasn't ESRB rated. If you are or know a product tester who worked on Disaster for US release, I'd love to hear about it.

daffy

Banned
APZonerunner said:
Honestly, this is where the Wii has been damaged in my eyes more than any other area for its lack of an online infrastructure. If this was Sony or Microsoft, they'd have the option of putting these out as a download, eliminating those costs almost entirely. Shame. Hopefully the Wii U has a more robust download system.
Yeah, truth. I actually hadn't thought about this potential.

Lopson

Neo Member
Brazil said:
What the fuck is NSTC?

NTSC is the type of signal displayed by American televisions. Signal gets displayed at 60Hz, in contrast to the PAL (European) signal (clocked at 50Hz). The frequency of the signal limits the maximum frame rate of the game, amongst other things.

Check Wikipedia, man.

Top Bottom