• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Netflix |OT| Where Binge Watching is Encouraged

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Almost Adults (Indie, Comedy, LGBT)
Come What May (Drama, Foreign)
El fin de ETA (Doc, Political, Foreign)
Incomplete (Romantic, Drama, Foreign)
Kubo and the Two Strings (Family)

Newtown has been on the UK Netflix for a while now and I have to ask, after having watched it - Sandy Hook denial is a real conspiracy theory with actual supporters in the US?

Sadly and disgustingly, it's definitely a 'thing'

Yeah. There are videos on YouTube of Sandy Hook deniers calling the parents of the victims liars right to their faces. Absolutely gross and heartless.

It's usually your extreme gun nut types.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

Documentary Now Season 2 (TV, Comedy)
Frat Star (Comedy)
My Secret Diary Season 1 (TV, Drama, Foreign)

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Added today:

DC's Legends of Tomorrow Season 2 (TV, Action)
Kevin Hart: What Now?
Macho (Comedy, LGBT, Foreign)
Radical: the Controversial Saga of Dada Figueiredo (Doc, Sports, Foreign)
Stagecoach: The Texas Jack Story (Action)

I want to prepare for the Netflix Death Note premiere. I've never watched the original. Googling it I can't figure out whether I should watch the show or the movie. Help me out anime-gaf!

I want to prepare for the Netflix Death Note premiere. I've never watched the original. Googling it I can't figure out whether I should watch the show or the movie. Help me out anime-gaf!

I haven't seen either but you should just watch both. Strengths and weaknesses, etc..

Or watch neither and go in blind so that you don't have a the bias of it having to conform to a previous iteration.

Read the Manga. I feel you can do that and not watch any of the adaptations. And then when the netflix DN comes out, you can compare it to the manga without having been tainted by the anime/Japanese movies

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
this Kevin Hart special is pretty bad. Its like, super produced, fake hollywood style stand up with screens behind him with footage about his jokes (like he jokes about a shark and there will be shark footage in the background...whut)

He also seems more hyperactive than usual, but then again I've only seen one of his stand ups and it was ages ago.

Kaladin

AVAILABLE MAY 1

American Experience: The Big Burn (2014)
American Experience: The Boys of ’36 (2017)
Anvil! The Story of Anvil (2008)
Blood on the Mountain (2016)
Chaahat (1996)
Chocolat (2000)
Decanted (2016)
Don’t Think Twice (2016)
Drifter (2017)
Forrest Gump (1994)
Happy Feet (2006)
In the Shadow of Iris—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM
Love (2015)
Losing Sight of Shore (2017)
Malibu’s Most Wanted (2003)
Nerdland (2016)
Raja Hindustani (1996)
Richard Pryor: Icon (2014)
Under Arrest: Season 5 (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 2

Bodyguards: Secret Lives from the Watchtower (2016)
Hija De La Laguna (2015)
Maria Bamford: Old Baby—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Two Lovers and a Bear (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 5

Chelsea: Season 2 (streaming every Friday)—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Handsome: A Netflix Mystery Movie—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM
Kazoops!: Season 3—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Sense8: Season 2—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Simplemente Manu NNa—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Spirit: Riding Free: Season 1—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Last Kingdom: Season 2—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Mars Generation—NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE MAY 6

Cold War 2 (2016)
When the Bough Breaks (2017)

AVAILABLE MAY 7

LoveTrue (2016)
Stake Land II (2016)
The Host (2013)

AVAILABLE MAY 8

Beyond the Gates (2016)
Hunter Gatherer (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 9

Norm Macdonald: Hitler’s Dog, Gossip & Trickery—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Queen of the South: Season 1 (2016)
All We Had (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 10

El apóstata (2015)
The Adventure Club (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 11

Switched at Birth: Season 5 (2017)
The Fosters: Season 4 (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 12

All Hail King Julien: Exiled: Season 1—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Anne with an E: Season 1—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Get Me Roger Stone—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Master of None: Season 2—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Mindhorn—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM
Sahara—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM

AVAILABLE MAY 15

Command and Control (2016)
Cave (2016)
Lovesong (2016)
Sherlock: Series 4 (2016)
The Intent (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 16

Tracy Morgan: Staying Alive—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Break-Up (2006)
The Place Beyond the Pines (2012)

AVAILABLE MAY 18

Royal Pains: Season 8 (2016)
Riverdale: Season 1 (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 19

BLAME!—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM
Laerte-se—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
The Keepers: Season 1—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: Season 3—NETFLIX ORIGINAL

AVAILABLE MAY 21

What’s With Wheat (2017)

AVAILABLE MAY 22

Inglourious Basterds (2009)
They Call Us Monsters (2017)

AVAILABLE MAY 23

Hasan Minhaj: Homecoming King—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Dig Two Graves (2014)

AVAILABLE MAY 24

Southpaw (2015)

AVAILABLE MAY 26

Believe (2016)
Bloodline: Season 3—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
I am Jane Doe (2017)
Joshua: Teenager vs. Superpower—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
War Machine—NETFLIX ORIGINAL FILM

AVAILABLE MAY 28

Bunk’d: Season 2 (2016)

AVAILABLE MAY 29

Forever Pure (2016)
A New High (2015)

AVAILABLE MAY 30

F is for Family: Season 2—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
House of Cards: Season 5—NETFLIX ORIGINAL
Marvel’s Doctor Strange (2016)
Masterminds
Sarah Silverman A Speck of Dust—NETFLIX ORIGINAL

COMING SOON

Supergirl: Season 2 (2016)
Supernatural: Season 12 (2016)
The Flash: Season 3 (2016)

I'm watching Bill Nye Saves the World, up to episode 2. It's cool to see such a good skeptical show, hitting the right notes (moreso in episode 2 on alternative medicine than episode 1 on climate change).

Though it was a waste of time to have that guy with little relevant connection to reality on the panel in episode 2. There wasn't enough time to address what he said. Hopefully they keep to reasonable disagreements in the upcoming episodes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm watching Bill Nye Saves the World, up to episode 2. It's cool to see such a good skeptical show, hitting the right notes (moreso in episode 2 on alternative medicine than episode 1 on climate change).

Though it was a waste of time to have that guy with little relevant connection to reality on the panel in episode 2. There wasn't enough time to address what he said. Hopefully they keep to reasonable disagreements in the upcoming episodes.

How long are the episodes?

Kaladin

My University sent out an e-mail today about "13 Reasons Why" and how "Students admitted that “binge watching” the series has contributed to a change in mood, depression, and/or anxiety."

They go on to add a quote from a University psychologist explaining all the things wrong with the show:

“The show itself contains some pretty dangerous messaging about suicide, especially for teens. The entire premise of the series is that a young woman recorded audio tapes outlining 13 reasons why she killed herself and throughout the series she has "control" over her peers even after death (a very dangerous message to send) as they listen to the tapes outlining their own mis-doings and pass them along to peers.

The show focuses mainly on bullying, which we know contributes to teen suicide, but it does not address mental illness AT ALL. We know that 9/10 people who die by suicide have a diagnosable mental illness and the show did not even touch the topic.

The show has explicit scenes detailing multiple sexual assaults and it shows, in its entirety, the main character killing herself by cutting both wrists vertically in a bathtub.

Netflix NEVER mentioned the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or the National Sexual Assault Hotline. In my opinion, there should have been a short PSA after every episode sharing these resources and encouraging people to reach out. Essentially they bring up a lot of hard issues but don't address them in a productive way.

-Betsy

Elizabeth R. Aspinwall, Psy.D., HSP-P
Clinical Director/Psychologist

I haven't watch this, but I don't think I want to after reading that.

b3b0p

My University sent out an e-mail today about "13 Reasons Why" and how "Students admitted that ”binge watching" the series has contributed to a change in mood, depression, and/or anxiety."

They go on to add a quote from a University psychologist explaining all the things wrong with the show:

What university?

My University sent out an e-mail today about "13 Reasons Why" and how "Students admitted that ”binge watching" the series has contributed to a change in mood, depression, and/or anxiety."

To be fair, this show mainly deals about one persons experience who kills herself. The mental illness, if any, of the character has no bearing on the story told, since the reasons of why this character killed herself, are outlined by her. The show didn't need to touch on the topic of mental illness, because that is not the topic the show was trying to portray..

Susurrus

Watched iBOY yesterday. Was a decently entertaining movie and a good way to chill for an hour and a half. Some of the British English was hard for me to understand, though, but I was still doped up a bit from mouth/throat surgery that I got a few hours prior, so that might have had something to do with it.

Vuze

Yeah I also enjoyed iBoy quite a bit. Get well soon!

Also, I've just seen a product placement notice on Netflix for the first time. Kinda wish I could turn these off, leaves a bad taste in my mouth for no real reason and it's not like I could afford anything that's likely to be advertised in a professional photographer documentary anyway lol

chadskin

Girlboss features the characters watching the season 3 finale of The OC and a funny spoof of that finale. Best show ever.

Really though, it's not that bad of a show, if only for the charming cast.

Sandy Wexler would be a great movie if it wasn't for Sandlers fucking voice. Like, it's a likable movie. Except for the voice.

Maybe that's the joke.

Susurrus

Yeah I also enjoyed iBoy quite a bit. Get well soon!

Also, I've just seen a product placement notice on Netflix for the first time. Kinda wish I could turn these off, leaves a bad taste in my mouth for no real reason and it's not like I could afford anything that's likely to be advertised in a professional photographer documentary anyway lol

Thanks.

What do you mean by a Product Placement Notice? Like you just saw product placement or it actually had a popup/ad or something?

Vuze

Thanks.

What do you mean by a Product Placement Notice? Like you just saw product placement or it actually had a popup/ad or something?
Yeah, a pop up at the beginning. Perhaps it's some regulatory thing in Germany that they enforced on netflix

Susurrus

Yeah, a pop up at the beginning. Perhaps it's some regulatory thing in Germany that they enforced on netflix

Weird. I'm in Germany as well and have never seen it. Was it like a video or something you have to acknowledge or something? What are you using to watch it? I primarily use PS4, Android, XBone, and Roku, though I also used the Win 10 app today. I never watch in a browser if it matters though?

Top Bottom