• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oddboxx on Steam -- warning, read thread before purchasing

Cels

John said:
for ati guys, have you been able to force prettifiers of any kind?

yea i turned on 16x MSAA and 8x AF...running smoothly at 120fps, 1920x1200

no, not really. i hope JAW fixes performance problems, but don't expect much anything beyond that at this point...

lupinko

Tendo said:
Refunds from steam appear to be a no go. They claim it works as intended.

Wait, you can refund on Steam? How does one do this? I'd like to get a refund on Oddboxx (I already have both Abe games PSone versions off PSN).

Teknoman

wwm0nkey said:
So is the ATI fix still working?

So far, it works great, but havent tried the second one in order to fix the T positioned enemies. Everything else works alot better than launch.

I've got a Radeon 5770 and I just tried the fix.

The games runs smoothly now, but the enemies so far are all doing the "Jesus pose" arms outstretched thing and there is a weird red flicker that comes and goes.

Is there something I can do about this?

wwm0nkey

Rodney McKay said:

The games runs smoothly now, but the enemies so far are all doing the "Jesus pose" arms outstretched thing and there is a weird red flicker that comes and goes.

did you delete the Strangers Wrath folder and validate it on steam, redownload it and apply the fix?

wwm0nkey said:
did you delete the Strangers Wrath folder and validate it on steam, redownload it and apply the fix?

I did not, I will try it now. Do I delete it through Steam or just delete the folder directly?

wwm0nkey

Rodney McKay said:
I did not, I will try it now. Do I delete it through Steam or just delete the folder directly?
Folder, then go to properties in steam and validate the files, it will re-download everything and then apply the fix

Anyone feel like posting a step by step to applying for a refund and perhaps what you threw in the comment box? I couldnt muster up more than its a pile of shit to play currently lol..

MNC

People asking for a refund: Is it just based on the PC port of strangers wrath? What about the two Abe games? Are they playable? I never played an oddworld game.

Dascu

MNC said:
People asking for a refund: Is it just based on the PC port of strangers wrath? What about the two Abe games? Are they playable? I never played an oddworld game.
Yes, but they're fullscreen at their native resolution. No way to make them windowed apparently. Looks a bit ugly.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Dascu said:
Yes, but they're fullscreen at their native resolution. No way to make them windowed apparently. Looks a bit ugly.
That's how they've always been though. I wonder if GOG's versions had any fixes, but they're probably the same.

Kraut

Rodney McKay said:

I'm away from my PC, but I'm glad to hear other people with my card have the game in a somewhat stable state. Hopefully by the time I can actually play it I can get it all going without a hitch.

Maffis

stuminus3 said:
Hmm, in my attempt to play further into the game to see how the performance is, I discovered that it's not just the performance that has issues. My "taken alive" counter stayed at 6 for ages, then suddenly jumped up to 30-something. I don't think that's right.

Isn't that just the counter that shows you much the bounty was worth? Not how many you have taken?

Easy_D

never left the stone age
The fix works okay I guess. Get a solid 30 fps with reverse-dips into the middle 40s.
It's just about good enough I guess. But after seeing it run at 40+ in the lowest resolution I sort of want my 60fps :lol. Gah.

JADS

wwm0nkey said:
So is the ATI fix still working?

So far so good. Thanks for linking this. I am trying to force Anti Aliasing but that sadly doesn't seem to work, neither does MLAA.

Edit:
stranger2010-12-2313-2mbif.jpg

:lol

Still getting black dots/corruption and T-posed enemies (accessories like hats etc animate which is pretty funny). I'm going to ask for a refund.

An apology...

Gentlemen, and Ladies ...

My departure the other day was immature and in poor taste.

I've spoken to Holepunch privately, and out of that conversation I now understand a lot more what I said, and how it came across in the COMPLETELY wrong way.

I'm not going to go into specifics, but as I said I'd like to apologise for any offence it may have indirectly caused, it certainly wasn't my intention.

To be fair I probably deserve a lot of your comments, but ultimately I was just here to talk to you guys and to understand what PC gamers want.

As has been said here and on the Steam forums, by others, the whole PC gaming market today isn't what I'm used to. The last PC game I worked on was in 2001.

Prior to that I had worked on a LOT of PC titles between 1992 and 2001, including launch titles for Win95 (I had to use the beta :-/).

It is extremely clear to me now that times in this market have changed, and things we provided 10 years ago are NOT what is expected today, so we're going to be addressing some of that once we get Stranger "fixed" and out there.

This morning we have been talking to ATI directly, namely their driver guys, who have said that inlight of the findings reported on the Steam Forums and here they can see that changes in their drivers have caused us and other developers issues.

Whilst I'm not going to quote the entire email here, here is a snapshot of it ...

"We’ll try to get a fix into the pipeline ASAP.

Did you test with any other version of the Catalyst driver? It would probably be helpful for us to know which driver build broke it (i.e. it works with 10.5 but breaks with 106 onwards, something like that)."

Now obviously this doesn't fix everyone, but it actually helps us with the OpenGL implementation in general.

As has been said here we have submitted a fix for the crash's in Munch to Valve, this was simply an un-initialised variable that the original PC developers missed, which strangely was initialised once you'd either left the first level, OR loaded a save game.

So to confirm ...

1) I completely and utter apologise for sending the wrong message to you guys, it sincerely wasn't intended, and I'm personally sorry to those who took offence, it was NOT intended.

2) We are making headway with Stranger's performance issues, but some of it at least does seem to be down to drivers, which has been backed up by the different OpenGL drivers mentioned previously here.

3) Munch has had the crash bug fixed (touch wood) and is waiting deployment by Valve.

In the New Year we are planning a whole bunch of updates to both titles, I don't want to go into that now, as we've still not finalised the list, but so far they cover ...

1. Better "display" options (Both games)
2. Better control options (Both games)

If you guys want to suggest some things you'd like to see in both games, suggest away, but we can't do things like specific rendering changes, IE switching shadows on/off. In both games these are tidied deep in to the game engines and were never intended to be switchable.

Anyway, thanks for your time.

All the best

Stewart

JADS

@GoldenHelmet First off all, thanks for coming back to us and communicating :D Any chances you guys can get some anti aliasing implemented? I can force Super Sampling through the AMD drivers in Munch's Oddysee but Stranger's Wrath doesn't want to play nice. Looking forward to the patches!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Thanks for posting. And yeah...some sort of Anti-Aliasing would be great.

stuminus3

Well then. That's a bit more like it. The proof, though, is in the pudding. I understand the Munch situation, but I really do have to see something significant happen with Stranger's Wrath before bridges get rebuilt.

Having to deal with the ATI guys though, good luck with that. :lol

stuminus3 said:
Well then. That's a bit more like it. The proof, though, is in the pudding. I understand the Munch situation, but I really do have to see something significant happen with Stranger's Wrath before bridges get rebuilt.

Having to deal with the ATI guys though, good luck with that. :lol

What's weird is I know the main guy there and have since he worked at 3D Labs, THEN nVidia, and now ATI, so we go back 12+ years :)

We'll see, it was actually him that suggested we use OpenGL for the renderer in the first place :)

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Stewart, appreciate your apology and your company's commitment to resolving the issues raised.

I've been playing on a low resolution just so that I can enjoy the game (and I have!) and I sincerely look forward to any of the fixes that will let me enjoy Stranger more than I am currently.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
GoldenHelmet said:
We are already going to be adding MLAA in the PS3 version, so that will likely fall back into the PC update Q2 next year.

internethi5.jpg

Glad to see the method is trickling down from Sony's first-party stable.

Geoff9920

Yeah, AA/AF support along with 16:9 / 16:10 resolutions would be nice. Plus, actually stating what resolution we're selecting. Your post does make it sound like this is coming. Which is good.

Stewart, the fact you manned up and came back here and apologised means a lot to me. genuinely.

once these initial issues are smoothed over i will keep my word and buy this collection.

Geoff9920 said:
actually stating what resolution we're selecting. :p

heh that's just text in the Launcher, so yeah piece of cake!

The reason we did this goes back to the "old" days.

Because PC games weren't as hardcore as they are today you had to appeal to the lowest common denominator IE parents!

If you guys think back 10-15 years ago gaming on the PC wasn't as easy (in some respects) as it is now. You could say to someone "What resolution do you run at?" they'd said "I have a 17" monitor" they didn't get it, so 10 years ago Low/Medium/High was good for the masses.

However NOW, especially with digital distribution the users are a LOT more tech savvy that those parents back in the day, so as I said, I apologise for trying to make it easier, it wasn't meant to imply that I meant you guys were kids OR childish, just that times HAVE changed.

3rdman

GoldenHelmet said:
We are already going to be adding MLAA in the PS3 version, so that will likely fall back into the PC update Q2 next year.
Can you please confirm (or deny) that the PC version will be getting the updated graphics of the PS3 version? The only mention we've had is that it was "highly likely" which (to my cynical ears) is the same as simply saying "maybe".

I'd much rather own this on the PC but I won't bother if I can get the superior version on the PS3. Thanks and welcome back into the lion's den. :p

3rdman said:
Can you please confirm (or deny) that the PC version will be getting the updated graphics of the PS3 version? The only mention we've had is that it was "highly likely" which (to my cynical ears) is the same as simply saying "maybe".

I'd much rather own this on the PC but I won't bother if I can get the superior version on the PS3. Thanks.

As I sit here RIGHT NOW, it will come to the PC, but I can't give a date when that'll happen.

StuBurns said:
You're implementing in a 360 build? You'd be the first to ship with it I believe.

Whilst I cannot go into specifics, Microsoft have currently denied us permission to create Stranger for 360.

We are still talking to them about it, in hope that it will come out.

Top Bottom