• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN:Russians believed they would be able to use Michael Flynn to influence Trump

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/865731628034912256

Just announced on CNN as well.

Article posted.

http://us.cnn.com/2017/05/19/politics/michael-flynn-donald-trump-russia-influence/index.html

Russian officials bragged in conversations during the presidential campaign that they had cultivated a strong relationship with former Trump adviser retired Gen. Michael Flynn and believed they could use him to influence Donald Trump and his team, sources told CNN.
The conversations picked up by US intelligence officials indicated the Russians regarded Flynn as an ally, sources said. That relationship developed throughout 2016, months before Flynn was caught on an intercepted call in December speaking with Russia's ambassador in Washington, Sergey Kislyak. That call, and Flynn's changing story about it, ultimately led to his firing as Trump's first national security adviser.
One major concern for Obama administration officials was the subject of conversations between Flynn and Kislyak that took place shortly after Obama slapped new sanctions on Russia for meddling in the election. Sources tell CNN that Flynn told Kislyak that the Trump administration would look favorably on a decision by Russia to hold off on retaliating with its own sanctions. The next day, Putin said he wouldn't retaliate.
Sources say Flynn also told Kislyak that the incoming Trump administration would revisit US sanctions on Russia once in office. The US has applied sanctions on Russia since 2014 for its actions in Ukraine.

giphy.gif

CHC

Man, this week.

I mean, with regards to the headline itself: no shit. But it's just more on the pile.

CHC

oh god I can't wait for Trump to get off the plane, what time is that expected to be?

He never will. He'll pull an Assange and just remain in the airplane until the end of his term, receive mid-air refuelings and food transfers.

Joeku

Doesn't this mean Trump didn't really know whats going on?

Honestly if everyone around him was working with the Russians and he was just sitting in his high chair eating Cheerios, unaware of all of it, that might even be worse. It would just solidify how stupid he appears.

Nowy

I don't think history books will be able to capture just how insane the past week and a half has been.

Well I guess now that the cat is out of the bg it's actually ok for Flynn to come back! Can't be blackmailed if everyone already knows the secret the blackmailer is holding over your head.

This sucks. We already know Flynn is gonna get the book. This just means Trump was unaware and "safe"

I want to see Trump in cuffs.

"We are confident that when these inquiries are complete there will be no evidence to support any collusion between the campaign and Russia," a White House official said in a statement. "...This matter is not going to distract the President or this administration from its work to bring back jobs and keep America safe."

Oh you, unnamed White House official!

WedgeX

Banned
Just last week some were chastising us, claiming the Russia connections and Comey's firing were being blown out of proportion.

Vindication so quickly is...something else.

Bulk_Rate

I don't think any American has potentially been in as much legal trouble as Michael Flynn in my lifetime. Anyone know whether he's still subject to UCMJ or if other Federal charges would override that?

This smells like trying to set up Flynn as a patsy. The fact that Trump so stridently defended him even with innumerable red flags staring him in the face remains suspicious.

Top Bottom