• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

Would it be daunting to travel to Japan alone or should you try to bring someone? I'm trying to go sometime in 2020 or after, so I do have some time to find someone.
I did it on my own back in 2015, I was soo nervous the first day, walked out my hotel, took a few steps and then headed back to my room to psyche myself up XD

After 10 minutes decided, fuck it, here to have fun and walked out the door and had the time of my life.

I'm soo proud I did the trip on my own, a few times I felt lonely but if you're staying at a backpackers style Hotel place like I was you'll find people to talk to and not feel so alone, also gaming bars are great for that.

But yeah doing Japan on your own is fine, language can be an issue but they seem to be fine with it for the most part and will help you out if they can. Also super safe to be at on your own too.

Vhalyar

I'm planning a 14-16~ day trip to Japan in late November/Early December. Since that would coincide with one of the Final Fantasy concerts I was hoping to catch that, but I can't find any information at all about ticket availability. Don't suppose anyone here knows what's the status on that? (The CM for Distant Worlds just shrugged their shoulders when I asked them).

Gero

I did it on my own back in 2015, I was soo nervous the first day, walked out my hotel, took a few steps and then headed back to my room to psyche myself up XD

After 10 minutes decided, fuck it, here to have fun and walked out the door and had the time of my life.

I'm soo proud I did the trip on my own, a few times I felt lonely but if you're staying at a backpackers style Hotel place like I was you'll find people to talk to and not feel so alone, also gaming bars are great for that.

But yeah doing Japan on your own is fine, language can be an issue but they seem to be fine with it for the most part and will help you out if they can. Also super safe to be at on your own too.

Nice to know! Hopefully I find someone to go with either way but I am going by myself if I have to.

Mendrox

Can confirm everything so anyone thinking about traveling alone to Japan...just do it. There won't be any problems.

I will say, the worst I felt over there was going to Disney and Universal on my own, just cause you see soo many people in groups, families together and all that. I did feel like an outsider there and something it would have been better to do with other, but I got over that after abit, but yeah first few hours at Disney was kinda lonesome.

Denali

If you're into smaller bars and music, check out Ginza Music Bar. Stumbled across it tonight and god damn I didn't want to leave.

parasight

So I'm reconsidering the day trip in my itinerary. During the time we'll be staying in Osaka, I was going to do a day trip to Kyoto, but it would probably come at the sacrifice of seeing Nara Park. Do you guys think Kyoto is too big to fit into a small day trip and better left for another time? Nara seems like it would be fine to fit into a day.

Triteon

So I'm reconsidering the day trip in my itinerary. During the time we'll be staying in Osaka, I was going to do a day trip to Kyoto, but it would probably come at the sacrifice of seeing Nara Park. Do you guys think Kyoto is too big to fit into a small day trip and better left for another time? Nara seems like it would be fine to fit into a day.

I think Kyoto is too big for a day trip personally especially if you want to get up to Arashiyama as well.

Mairu

It's an incredible view though if you do get lucky! Highly recommend the Mt. Takao hike :D

PDdcxKaDYMocbjgrNYS5siFFAiEIO--2DW4eFJKEuet0207HJMu3YFty9bWnCtgPY6UGSWH7YvZRTs1LFKKAsSM6Q5wWlYAX2Q3Yxv-0TFMX7lkh5OFlk9ZojCrwuEr7nH1BhRkpN4nAYL0SnF34cZvzeNgYGz1xws-1WrMH6IZ4hTBLUZ04SIOWnm5jNEiWjoghEn9gwycARnSLki2q5BvkffaSWVByAPPOGp5HMKw0Xw9Dxf37rlPU7w6SV0GU7F5Pr5FMx4mlmXlcCvaIesznqcvvt1AlwEF2rbtP88m_p6YJAAAZJFsSt9EQKT9paPHQbt0bHOtqRB620r58FgiZUPiDIaNmZK7LffGarbRWgPBq9rDgl8cpJ5BLxMx-yD-ebN-hOVNFMvTHpG2j5Txgvkl0EWLyEamL33f0De0m22PKslqStA_aBgJL0LFItQ6aevZvpEHehkq8YdlNMo_7KC3uxKI23bqA-jprq1aXMFPp5a-dDuXc-DL7VBtKojt4wFNTjVGvvtJtftvignHOv7Euqz4Qral95HU1JfUhHNaLPDMLF6w9zpw0eKOHKdpf5G8Jrh_3HhpiKRGUrdMoqx-21POoWJ596tR8mz_l30DnxL-tWjcwG7hHmg8ieYN-4J7Dyyov2qbpT95f-cZ2wX80pZg0gWCN3VEueOdID-s=w1902-h1428-no

solarus

Going to japan for just over 3 weeks in september. A bit worried about taking my meds with me, could anyone help me out. I’d be bringing lexapro (antidepressant/ssri) and I’ve just started accutane. I believe you don’t need a Yakkan Shoumei if you are staying for under a month and I believe it is acceptable to bring lexapro into japan, however I can’t find any clarification on accutane. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Going to japan for just over 3 weeks in september. A bit worried about taking my meds with me, could anyone help me out. I’d be bringing lexapro (antidepressant/ssri) and I’ve just started accutane. I believe you don’t need a Yakkan Shoumei if you are staying for under a month and I believe it is acceptable to bring lexapro into japan, however I can’t find any clarification on accutane. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.

Better check with your doctor.

dani_dc

Better check with your doctor.

Get a doctor's note for the Lexapro.

Up to one month’s supply of allowable prescription medicine (by Japanese law) can be brought into Japan. Travelers should bring a copy of their doctor’s prescription as well as a letter stating the purpose of the drug. Travelers who must carry more than one month’s supply (except prohibited drugs and controlled drugs), or are carrying syringes (pumps) or a CPAP machine, are required to obtain a so-called “Yakkan Shoumei”, or an import certificate in advance, and show the “Yakkan Shoumei” certificate with your prescription medicines at the Customs.

Source: https://jp.usembassy.gov/u-s-citize...of-u-s-citizens/doctors/importing-medication/

Regarding Accutane, I'd advise contacting Japan's embassy in your country.

As a side note, accutane side effects include potential Psychiatric issues.

Denali

Takao was amazing. Couldn't see Fuji, but the view was still amazing. I'll post some pics when I get back.

I hiked it all the way from the bottom and it absolutely kicked my ass. I was laughing at myself because of the amount of 50+ year olds coming down with seemingly zero sweat, meanwhile I am absolutely drenched.

Takao was amazing. Couldn't see Fuji, but the view was still amazing. I'll post some pics when I get back.

I hiked it all the way from the bottom and it absolutely kicked my ass. I was laughing at myself because of the amount of 50+ year olds coming down with seemingly zero sweat, meanwhile I am absolutely drenched.

Did ya try different routes or did ya take the same route both up and down?

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
For people who've been to some of the high-end sushi restaurants in Japan (michelin star level), what kind of dress code should I expect? I'm trying to slim down what I'm bringing since I only travel with a backpack.

Do I need a blazer, or will chinos and a buttoned shirt be fine? Can I get away with sneakers if they're solid-colored and simple (something like Allbirds, Chuck Taylors, or Adidas Stan Smiths) or will I need to bring along some loafers or boat shoes to change into?

Repgnar

Going early October for our late honeymoon. Working on a rough itinerary and was hoping I could get some input from some people more familiar with the area than I am. I went like 5 years ago but it was less than a week and very much so on the budget/rushed side of things. Will be my wife's first time there. In a really good spot financially and going for quite a few more days so the plan is to have it more relaxed rather than rushing to get everything in but not opposed to having a few packed days. As of right now we're planning on spending the whole trip in Tokyo.

Day 1 – October 2nd, Monday - Arrival
-Arrive to Haneda in the afternoon
-Hotel located in Asakusa, check out Don Quijote/Matsuya/just walk around and find somewhere close to eat

Day 2 – October 3rd, Tuesday – Asakusa/Skytree Tower
-Explore Senso-ji temple/NakaMise-dori vendors
-Walk to Skytree Tower area

Day 3 – October 4th, Wednesday – Disney Sea Tokyo
-The website that predicts how busy said this would be least busy

Day 4 – October 5th, Thursday – Akihabara
-Shopping and arcades

Day 5 – October 6th, Friday - Ikebukuro/Nakano Broadway
-SunShine City Mall/Aquarium
-Mutekiya Ramen
-Zoshigaya Temple

Day 6 – October 7th, Saturday – Odaiba
-Tokyo Cruise from Asakusa there or back
-Aqua City/Diver City
-Miraiken Museum/Toyota Megaweb/Joypolis
-Venusfort
-Maybe MariCar? Reddit always makes it sound like the worst thing ever to do

Day 7 – October 8th, Sunday – Harajuku then Shibuya
-Takashita-dori(Crepes)
-Yoyogi Park/Meiji Shrine
-Hachi Statue/Shibuya Crossing
-Mint-Shibuya store

Day 8 – October 9th, Monday – Ueno
-Definitely the zoo and park, still need to decide temples/museum if time

Day 9 – October 10th, Tuesday - ???
-Not sure just yet, could leave it open to hit something up we didn't have time to the first time or maybe a day trip

Day 10 – October 11th, Wednesday – Flight out in the evening so probably leave it up to rehit an area we liked/last minute souvenirs

I guess the big things are if we have stuff too far away from each other to do in a day. Another is whether or not we have enough things to do or there's way too much to accomplish in a day.Planning on picking up wifi at the airport and just sticking to PASMO/SUICA if we're just staying inside of Tokyo. Also, if there's anything big that we're missing that you feel like are must visits feel free to throw out suggestions. Still thinking about Studio Ghibli since we have a little bit of time before tickets go on sale.

Denali

Did ya try different routes or did ya take the same route both up and down?

I took the main route (1) up from the bottom, stopped at the monkey playground, and went down a side trail (4) a bit before turning around and continuing on the main trail to the top. Came down the same way, but I hopped on the cable car.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
What routes would you guys recommend for Mt. Takao? I'm thinking about going up on 6 and down on 3 or 4 and then 1. Is the other way around a better idea? I feel like going down on an unpaved wood track would be harder than up, but I don't really know. Is the temple a must see?

Another question, apparently Tokyo Tower second observation deck is currently under construction. Should I even bother going there in this case? Is Tokyo Sky Tree a better idea? I hate waiting in line so if I go to Sky Tree I guess I should go first thing in the morning on a weekday. I also plan on going up Toyko Met Government building when I'm in Shinjuku. From what I've read that's a similar view (tall buildings close by) to Tokyo Tower?

What routes would you guys recommend for Mt. Takao? I'm thinking about going up on 6 and down on 3 or 4 and then 1. Is the other way around a better idea? I feel like going down on an unpaved wood track would be harder than up, but I don't really know. Is the temple a must see?

Another question, apparently Tokyo Tower second observation deck is currently under construction. Should I even bother going there in this case? Is Tokyo Sky Tree a better idea? I hate waiting in line so if I go to Sky Tree I guess I should go first thing in the morning on a weekday. I also plan on going up Toyko Met Government building when I'm in Shinjuku. From what I've read that's a similar view (tall buildings close by) to Tokyo Tower?

I went up 1 and down 6. Going down 6 wasn't that hard. There were some places without proper steps and the 'hardest' part were by the streams. There's tengu stuff that's interesting to see at the temple, and you'll pass by it anyway, so no reason not to stop. :p

As always, I'd rather recommend going to the Mori Tower open air Sky Deck than Tokyo Skytree if you're planning on going to one of the paid ones.

Day 6 – October 7th, Saturday – Odaiba
-Tokyo Cruise from Asakusa there or back
-Aqua City/Diver City
-Miraiken Museum/Toyota Megaweb/Joypolis
-Venusfort
-Maybe MariCar? Reddit always makes it sound like the worst thing ever to do

I did MariCar with some friends on the 3 hour long Shinagawa course and it was an absolute blast, they can be a bit freaky sometimes, especially if you get cut off by a bus or something. But I would do them again in a heartbeat, I recommend the night course.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I went up 1 and down 6. Going down 6 wasn't that hard. There were some places without proper steps and the 'hardest' part were by the streams. There's tengu stuff that's interesting to see at the temple, and you'll pass by it anyway, so no reason not to stop. :p

As always, I'd rather recommend going to the Mori Tower open air Sky Deck than Tokyo Skytree if you're planning on going to one of the paid ones.

Okay, I'll also go up 1 and down 6 then. From the Takao route maps it wasn't clear to me if the temple is before or after the split into the 3 different paths on the way up, that's why I asked if it is worth it.

Thanks for the tip with Mori Tower, I'll go there then. I'll do that in the evening on the day I visit Odaiba, since it's in the same area.

I've more or less finished my list of what to do each day in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Anyone want to take a look if there's something that I've obviously misplanned? I plan on mostly doing self-guided walking tours around the areas I listed, which cover the most interesting sights. The walking tours are based on info from some official guides, japan-guide.com and the suggestions in this thread.

Osaka day 1: Kaiyukan, Nipponbashi, Dotonbori
Osaka day 2: Osaka castle and surroundings, backup for day 1 stuff if necessary [any other suggestions?]

Kyoto day 1: Shugakuin, Kurama+Kibune, Nijo+Imperial palace (if time permits)
Kyoto day 2: Higashiyama area, Gion, Nishiki Market
Kyoto day 3: Fushimi, Arashiyama, backup for day 1 and 2 stuff if necessary

Tokyo day 1: Shibuya, Harajuku, Meiji
Tokyo day 2: Asakusa, Ueno (Tokyo National Museum if time permits), Yanaka [too much planned?]
Tokyo day 3: Rikugien, Edo Tokyo Museum, Akihabara
Tokyo day 4: Ghibli museum, Shinjuku, Kabukicho
Tokyo day 5: Odaiba, Hamarikyu, Roppongi/Mori Tower

Thanks!

Dartastic

Okay, I'll also go up 1 and down 6 then. From the Takao route maps it wasn't clear to me if the temple is before or after the split into the 3 different paths on the way up, that's why I asked if it is worth it.

Thanks for the tip with Mori Tower, I'll go there then. I'll do that in the evening on the day I visit Odaiba, since it's in the same area.

I've more or less finished my list of what to do each day in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Anyone want to take a look if there's something that I've obviously misplanned? I plan on mostly doing self-guided walking tours around the areas I listed, which cover the most interesting sights. The walking tours are based on info from some official guides, japan-guide.com and the suggestions in this thread.

Osaka day 1: Kaiyukan, Nipponbashi, Dotonbori
Osaka day 2: Osaka castle and surroundings, backup for day 1 stuff if necessary [any other suggestions?]

Kyoto day 1: Shugakuin, Kurama+Kibune, Nijo+Imperial palace (if time permits)
Kyoto day 2: Higashiyama area, Gion, Nishiki Market
Kyoto day 3: Fushimi, Arashiyama, backup for day 1 and 2 stuff if necessary

Tokyo day 1: Shibuya, Harajuku, Meiji
Tokyo day 2: Asakusa, Ueno (Tokyo National Museum if time permits), Yanaka [too much planned?]
Tokyo day 3: Rikugien, Edo Tokyo Museum, Akihabara
Tokyo day 4: Ghibli museum, Shinjuku, Kabukicho
Tokyo day 5: Odaiba, Hamarikyu, Roppongi/Mori Tower

Thanks!
Your travel itinerary is almost exactly what mine is re: days. So, this is very useful for me to steal, hahaha. Also, my girlfriend put the Disney Sea park on the itinerary. Is it worth doing?

I've more or less finished my list of what to do each day in Osaka, Kyoto, and Tokyo. Anyone want to take a look if there's something that I've obviously misplanned?

Thanks!

Oh, I meant if you take route 1, you'll pass the temple anyway. If you take route 4 or something then you won't, but it's not that far to get to the temple from the split part though. And don't forget to check out Biwa waterfall when taking route 6!

You've booked tickets for Shugakuin?

Maybe better to slightly change your Kyoto schedule?

Kyoto day 1: Shugakuin, Kurama and Kibune (+ Nijo and Imperial palace if time permits)
Kyoto day 2: Fushimi (if you go early), Higashiyama area and Gion (+ Nishiki Market if time permits)
Kyoto day 3: Arashiyama, (Nijo and Imperial palace and Nishiki Market if missed the first 2 days)

And you should try to add Nakano Broadway for a few hours to the same day as the Ghibli Museum if you're finished with the museum before hm... like 13:00 or so. Unless you got lots of stuff planned for Shinjuku.

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, I meant if you take route 1, you'll pass the temple anyway. If you take route 4 or something then you won't, but it's not that far to get to the temple from the split part though. And don't forget to check out Biwa waterfall when taking route 6!

You've booked tickets for Shugakuin?

Maybe better to slightly change your Kyoto schedule?

Kyoto day 1: Shugakuin, Kurama and Kibune (+ Nijo and Imperial palace if time permits)
Kyoto day 2: Fushimi (if you go early), Higashiyama area and Gion (+ Nishiki Market if time permits)
Kyoto day 3: Arashiyama, (Nijo and Imperial palace and Nishiki Market if missed the first 2 days)

And you should try to add Nakano Broadway for a few hours to the same day as the Ghibli Museum if you're finished with the museum before hm... like 13:00 or so. Unless you got lots of stuff planned for Shinjuku.

I'll check out Biwa waterfall for sure!

Yeah, I applied for Shugakuin tickets using their website when there were 9 free spots for that date and time. I got an email which said there will be a draw in a few days or so, I'm not 100% sure on the procedure. If I don't get tickets then I'll just go straight to Kurama I guess. *edit* Just got the confirmation.

How much time do I roughly need to schedule for Fushimi? The walking tours I plan to do in Higashiyama will probably take up a good part of the day from what the guides suggest. I could go from Fushimi to Kiyomizu-dera (southernmost part of the walking tours), but the bus/train connection doesn't seem that great. I put Fushimi on the last day because I have the JR pass on that day already, so my plan was to go from Osaka to Fushimi and then from there directly to Arashiyama by train. It's not that the ticket cost really matters though.

Thanks for the tip with Nakano Broadway, I'll add that to the list for that day. I've got the 10:00 slot for Ghibli museum so that should fit well.

Repgnar

I did MariCar with some friends on the 3 hour long Shinagawa course and it was an absolute blast, they can be a bit freaky sometimes, especially if you get cut off by a bus or something. But I would do them again in a heartbeat, I recommend the night course.

That's what I've heard from some friends and coworkers. Awesome time and they definitely recommend it. Whenever people post that they want to do it on Japan Travel reddit there's always comments about how it's a nuisance for traffic and it's way too dangerous. Leaning towards doing the night tour if we do it for sure.

For people who've been to some of the high-end sushi restaurants in Japan (michelin star level), what kind of dress code should I expect? I'm trying to slim down what I'm bringing since I only travel with a backpack.

Do I need a blazer, or will chinos and a buttoned shirt be fine? Can I get away with sneakers if they're solid-colored and simple (something like Allbirds, Chuck Taylors, or Adidas Stan Smiths) or will I need to bring along some loafers or boat shoes to change into?

I think buttoned shirt should be fine. Not sure about sneakers though.

I hope you like getting on the Yamanote in Shinjuku on a Friday night.

:O

How much time do I roughly need to schedule for Fushimi? The walking tours I plan to do in Higashiyama will probably take up a good part of the day from what the guides suggest. I could go from Fushimi to Kiyomizu-dera (southernmost part of the walking tours), but the bus/train connection doesn't seem that great. I put Fushimi on the last day because I have the JR pass on that day already, so my plan was to go from Osaka to Fushimi and then from there directly to Arashiyama by train. It's not that the ticket cost really matters though.

Depends on whether you want to climb all the way to the top or just half-way up. There's not that much interesting sights on the second half of the climb. If you only climb half-way up then it would take 1-2 hours, and the whole climb would take 2.5-3.5 hours or such.

It's pretty easy getting to Kiyomizu-dera from Fushimi Inari. Just take the Keihan train (not JR) from Fushimi-Inari Station to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station.

Whenever people post that they want to do it on Japan Travel reddit there's always comments about how it's a nuisance for traffic and it's way too dangerous.

Well, they're not wrong, but you're gonna be a nuisance anyway if you visit any kind of temple or shrine where people go to pray, or if you go to the inner fish market at Tsukiji where people work.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ike-price-one-day-bus-pass-ease-overcrowding/

Aiming to mitigate the passenger congestion due to a surge in inbound tourists, the city of Kyoto proposed Monday a price hike for the one-day pass for public and private bus services.

The proposal, which was made at a meeting of experts, looks to increase the price of the ¥500 pass to ¥600 from next March. The city will officially decide to raise the price in August.

local residents have complained because they sometimes can't board buses that are packed with international travelers toting large amounts of luggage.

In the meantime, the city also proposed cutting the price of one-day passes for joint use of both buses and the subway from ¥1,200 to ¥900 to encourage tourists to use more underground trains.

The price cut on the joint pass sound good.

Reserved my boat trip to Hashima Island while I'm in Nagasaki ^_^
More I look into Nagasaki the more awesome things I see to do there, place looks awesome

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
Depends on whether you want to climb all the way to the top or just half-way up. There's not that much interesting sights on the second half of the climb. If you only climb half-way up then it would take 1-2 hours, and the whole climb would take 2.5-3.5 hours or such.

It's pretty easy getting to Kiyomizu-dera from Fushimi Inari. Just take the Keihan train (not JR) from Fushimi-Inari Station to Kiyomizu-Gojo Station.

Okay, I'll go only half way up then. You're right, it's actually not that far of a walk from Kiyomizu-Gojo station. Google Maps seemed to freak out and tried to use some weird bus line when I checked the route yesterday. I'll follow your advice and go to Fushimi on day 2 then. Thanks for all the help.

strang

Neo Member
Can anyone help me sort out some indecision with my trip planning?

We're going for two weeks from Oct. 12 to 26. First five nights are already booked in Tokyo. After that we've got two options we're trying to decide between:

1) Kansai area with a 7-day JR Pass, then back to Tokyo for three nights:

3 nights in Kyoto
2 nights in Osaka
1 night somewhere else (looking for smaller towns with good nature/hiking/scenery if anyone has suggestions)

2) Get a 14-day JR Pass and use the extra two/three nights worth of train travel to go somewhere further like Hiroshima.

Getting the 14-day JR Pass adds a decent expense to the trip, but my understanding is that even if we're only using it for a few extra days, if we're taking a couple longer trips the extra cost still saves us money compared to say, buying tickets to go Osaka - Hiroshima - Tokyo.

Any thoughts on if getting out to Hiroshima vs. spending a few extra days in Tokyo is worth it? Or are there any other places we could spend a few nights that would justify the extra cost of the 14-day JR Pass?

Any thoughts on if getting out to Hiroshima vs. spending a few extra days in Tokyo is worth it? Or are there any other places we could spend a few nights that would justify the extra cost of the 14-day JR Pass?

Why not just take a day trip to Hiroshima while in Osaka or Kyoto within the 7-day JR Pass period?

strang

Neo Member
Why not just take a day trip to Hiroshima while in Osaka or Kyoto within the 7-day JR Pass period?

Thanks. That's definitely a possibility, though it seems a little tight for time. Google Maps tells me its about a five-hour round trip.

I guess really it's more about deciding between spending three extra nights in Tokyo or three nights going to visit one/more other destinations, and if those other destinations are worth another 400 CAD for two 14-day JR Passes.

Thanks. That's definitely a possibility, though it seems a little tight for time. Google Maps tells me its about a five-hour round trip.

The fastest shinkansen trains between Shin-Osaka and Hiroshima you can take with the JR Pass is 1.5 hours one way.

There's plenty of people here who's done day trips to Hiroshima.

OK so toying with my plan a teeny tiny bit, is it worth spending more than one day in Nagasaki? Currently the plan is as follows
22nd of October - Head for Nagasaki from Osaka leaving a 6am to get there by 11:30. Leave my overnight luggage in a coin locker, get lunch and then head over to the Boat Tour office for trip to Hashima Island at 13:00 be back on Mainland around 17:00. Then head to hotel, drop bags off, get dinner head to Mount Inasa.
23rd of October - Breakfast and checking out of Hotel, check out Demji, Spectacle Bridge, Chinatown and whatever else I can squeeze in before heading back to Osaka at 17:00 arrive back at my AirBnB around 22:30ish.

So question is to anyone who has done Nagasaki, is this kinda unrealistic, is there anything else I'm missing there? I guess I should do the peace memorial but I "should" be able to squeeze that in before I head back to Osaka. If I add an extra day will get there on the 21st, however that will be at the expense of doing more stuff in Osaka :/

Aurelius

Is Takao stroller friendly? Thinking of going there this fall. The map on their website make it look like some paths are paved and not too steep.

dani_dc

The first third of route 1 is extremely boring and with nothing to see, just a steep cement, so let me offer an alternative.

Start on route 6 and go up to the Biwa waterfall, next to the waterfall there's some stairs up, take these stairs and follow the path for 20-30 minutes, and you'll reach Path 2, follow it upwards for about a couple minutes and you'll be infront of the monkey Park, from here on just follow Path 1. You're just a few minutes away from the temple.

9gs9RKi.jpg

I marked the path in yellow.

Is Takao stroller friendly? Thinking of going there this fall. The map on their website make it look like some paths are paved and not too steep.
Path 1 is paved, but it's quite steep if you're not used to hiking mountains. It's not dangerous but it can be very tiring if you don't have the right muscles.

Alternatively, if you take the cable cart up, nearly everything from there until the top is quite strollable, just keep in mind you'll have quite a few stairs to walk up.

kubus

Think I'll just have to hike up Mt. Takao next week when my dad comes to visit Tokyo. I've been living pretty close to Takao for 1,5 years now but never went up there for some reason.

Hope I won't die in the summer heat. I tire myself out just from walking 3 stairs so this will be a challenge :p. Never seen a waterfall in my entire life or been on a mountain (that wasn't a ski piste) so it's pretty exciting!

Top Bottom