• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THQ and South Park Studios battling over South Park: Stick of Truth's fate/ownership

sangreal

Starts at 3? Good I'll be home by then. This is going to be a nervous day. Hopefully south park's fate is decided right away so I can get it over with and move on with my day.

first they have to decide if south park can even be included in the sale (SPS says it can't and that they have a right to buy back the property; THQ says otherwise)

South Park Studio's Objection: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/sps_object.pdf
THQ's response: http://www.thesangreal.net/gafpics/thq_sps_response.pdf

Derrick01

Banned
So what would be best for the game right now considering it's probably done or very close to done and in the bug cleaning phase? Would it be better for them to get the game back from THQ and release it?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was hoping that stuff like this wouldn't happen to any of the games, especially ones coming in the next few months.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So what would be best for the game right now considering it's probably done or very close to done and in the bug cleaning phase? Would it be better for them to get the game back from THQ and release it?

In my opinion yeah, since THQ isn't developing it, so there's no reason that Viacom can't fund and launch the game.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If SPS get the license back this mean the Obsidian game is dead right?

No SPS was funding the game with Obsidian before it went to THQ.

They want this specific game back to publish on their own since THQ is bankrupt and presumably the rights to the game reverted at that point.

Simzyy

Can anyone explain what this means for the game? Delayed launch?
Long as the game isn't cancelled I'm happy

duckroll

Technically, there shouldn't be a difference for us as consumers, and for Obsidian as a developer. What THQ would want here is the right to include the title in the auction to see if they can get an attractive price for the publishing rights of a game which is pretty much complete and part of a popular mass market franchise. What South Park Studios would want is the right to buy the license back at a base price, and look for another publisher themselves.

Either way, I doubt there is any outcome where the game ends up in actual limbo, unless there is NO outcome.

Derrick01

Banned
In my opinion yeah, since THQ isn't developing it, so there's no reason that Viacom can't fund and launch the game.

I thought the reason why they went with a real publisher is because they wanted someone with more experience with funding and shipping a game? I wonder if they're confident they can handle the distribution.

Recall

C'mon THQ you can go out kicking and screaming but dont ruin the South Park game's chance of coming out in a timely manner :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
No SPS was funding the game with Obsidian before it went to THQ.

They want this specific game back to publish on their own since THQ is bankrupt and presumably the rights to the game reverted at that point.

oh,thanks for clearing that for me...well that's better.

duckroll

I thought the reason why they went with a real publisher is because they wanted someone with more experience with funding and shipping a game? I wonder if they're confident they can handle the distribution.

They won't distribute it themselves. What they probably want to avoid here is being locked in a deal with a publisher not of their own choosing. For example, if Warner buys THQ wholesale, and if South Park is part of it, there could be a conflict of interest since Warner and Viacom are competitors.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They won't distribute it themselves. What they probably want to avoid here is being locked in a deal with a publisher not of their own choosing. For example, if Warner buys THQ wholesale, and if South Park is part of it, there could be a conflict of interest since Warner and Viacom are competitors.

Wouldn't be the first time the two have clashed over South Park.

sangreal

Yeah, this is basically my reading of it. Their position is that they have to consent to any buyer and that if they don't consent they think the buyback clause should kick in.

Well that, and they want the $2.3M THQ owes them

Derrick01

Banned

Makes sense in that case. No one wants to lose control over their IP in any way.

I want to play this game so bad ;____; I hope everything goes smoothly.

Same. It's probably my most wanted game this year.

How badly would it hurt them to go digital only? I feel like that would solve most of the distribution issues.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I hope the game doesn't get end up getting delayed. It looks really awesome. Poor Obsidian getting stuck in this mess.

Sometimes it can take years for a game to emerge from the ashes of a publisher. I recal a game call The Red Star as a prime example.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Well, when they did Rock Band, they just used EA to distribute the games they funded.

You lose a relatively low amount of margin doing something like that and avoid the costs of setting up a distribution arm for one game.

After reading through the two documents briefly, I would say SPS has the advantage here, especially with the right to buyout clause. In short, SPS pays whatever THQ put into the game and gets to go find another publisher.

dionysus

Yaldog
Somehow, Obsidian will end up screwed. It always happens. Even when they ship a great game like New Vegas (didn't get the metacritic bonus.)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Quentyn noted in the other thread that this auction is being held at THQ's offices instead of a court, so we might not hear anything until 3 PM PST tomorrow at the court hearing.

Top Bottom