• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dana White: Floyd vs McGregor deal closing in coming days. Floyd $100 mil , Conor $75

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acorn

Be honest, would you take a boxing match you're essentially guaranteed to lose for $75M if you were Connor? At what dollar amount would it be worth it? No fighter likes to lose.
Yes.

Easily. After he's retired and the loss is forgotten he'll still have a swole bank account.

Chumley

Banned
When did I ever say Floyd gave a fuck about Black people? Please specifically point that out. I think you're being naive about the popularity of MMA not having something to do with the visibility of White MMA stars and why it does well in the 18 to 35 White male demographic. You're forgetting that Boxing was an all White sport before it became a Black and Hispanic/Latino dominated sport.

SMH I'm talking about the pride of a Black fighter and historically not wanting to lose to a White figher. You best believe Floyd and his father/trainer has that pride. Floyd is old school, he's 40 years old and grew up in a different time.

So Floyd didn't say this in 2009 in a CBS interview in relation to boxing and MMA
http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Benz/J_Benz0721b09.htm

A sentiment a lot of African American fighters felt at that time.

LOL @ adding OJ. See that's why I hate even bringing real shit up because hall of the time ya'll try to argue me down without absolutely no context with what you're saying.

The historical argument about black people being used by white people in the sport is totally true, I'm not disagreeing there, but you're attributing a level of racial awareness to Floyd that isn't there. That historical precedent isn't relevant to him unless it's something he can say on TV to get more PPV numbers. He might have some quotes here and there but at the end of the day he's the guy who cozies up to Trump and Kadyrov, and beats women. His father might genuinely care about it, but Floyd doesn't care about anything other than money.

The historical argument about black people being used by white people in the sport is totally true, I'm not disagreeing there, but you're attributing a level of racial awareness to Floyd that isn't there. He might have some quotes here and there but at the end of the day he's the guy who cozies up to Trump and beats women. His father might genuinely care about it, but Floyd doesn't care about anything other than money.

It's not about just being used, if you're not African American then you don't know what I'm talking about. How about trying to learn something new about African American athletes and that history particularly in the context of Boxing. I've kept up with Mayweather his whole career. Black fighters don't want to lose to White fighters, especially a MMA fighter with no boxing experience but yet is being hyped up to be his equivalent; an all time great, #1 P4P, future hall of famer, undefeated, 5 division world champion PPV king.

You're doing a horrible job simply reducing somebody to only the things you want him to be and not considering the bigger picture.

Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and it's frustrating because you act like you do. LOL

highrider

Banned
When did I ever say Floyd gave a fuck about Black people? Please specifically point that out. I think you're being naive about the popularity of MMA not having something to do with the visibility of White MMA stars and why it does well in the 18 to 35 White male demographic. You're forgetting that Boxing was an all White sport before it became a Black and Hispanic/Latino dominated sport.

John Jones would be the biggest star in the MMA if not for the substance issues. Every sport was all white at the turn of last century, my point is that maybe it's less of an issue now. So fighting is popular with young white men? Shocker. To me if you suggest a racial pride being diminished by losing to a white fighter, it kind of implies that you care about black people, or in Floyd's case, want to sell tickets I guess. But you cape up for Floyd, I'm just saying.

Chumley

Banned
You're doing a horrible job simply reducing somebody to only the things you want him to be and not considering the bigger picture.

Honestly, you have no idea what you're talking about, and it's frustrating because you act like you do. LOL

The things I want him to be? So it's just in my imagination that he's a Trump supporting, vicious dictator supporting domestic abuser?

Sure. I'm the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

John Jones would be the biggest star in the MMA if not for the substance issues. Every sport was all white at the turn of last century, my point is that maybe it's less of an issue now. So fighting is popular with young white men? Shocker. To me if you suggest a racial pride being diminished by losing to a white fighter, it kind of implies that you care about black people, or in Floyd's case, want to sell tickets I guess. But you cape up for Floyd, I'm just saying.

Once again I never said there was anything wrong with it. Quit framing what I'm saying to be something else. Combat Sports is built off of tribalism typically from a regional to national to racial/ethnic standpoint. It just so happens there was a nasty sense of White Supremacy/Racism/and Anti Blackness that Boxing started with which reflected everything else about the country. It's why the Great White Hope exists. It's why Rhonda does less to be just as big as Mayweather. Same with Connor. Same with Rock and Roll, same with Boy Bands and the list goes on. There's an audience ready to eat that shit up. You see historical context has a lot to do with History repeating itself.

The things I want him to be? So it's just in my imagination that he's a Trump supporting, vicious dictator supporting domestic abuser?

Sure. I'm the one who doesn't know what they're talking about.

No, I'm saying he's MORE than just that. He's an African American fighter that grew up with an African American experience, and in African American gyms, around other African American fighters.

I just want to know how much UFC/Dana gonna get out of this?

Dana doing a lot of talking and organizing.

A lot. Its something I've been thinking about a lot lately, but actually Dana White is the most powerful person involved with all of this. I would wager (an educated guess) WME / IMG (the current owners of the UFC) plan on making at minimum $150 million.

This will be the first co-promotion in UFC history, and WME-IMG the owners of the UFC are by several orders of magnitude the strongest players involved. (Far larger than either Floyd or Conor)

Chumley

Banned
No, I'm saying he's MORE than just that. He's an African American fighter that grew up with an African American experience, and in African American gyms, around other African American fighters.

"More"? What exactly is that supposed to mean, that I'm not allowed to dismiss him as a complete and utter piece of shit for his domestic abuse record? I appreciate the fact that he's black and grew up poor, but that doesn't even begin to let him off the hook for what he's done to women without apologizing for it. My Dad was a domestic abuser too. Is he "more" than that? Sure, he's done things in his life and had a hard upbringing, but verbally and physically abusing my mother and not being man enough to apologize for it ended anything I could have felt for him.

Mayweather being black and poor yet accomplishing great things doesn't make him a great man, or even a good man.

highrider

Banned
Once again I never said there was anything wrong with it. Quit framing what I'm saying to be something else. Combat Sports is built off of tribalism typically from a regional to national to racial/ethnic standpoint. It just so happens there was a nasty sense of White Supremacy/Racism/and Anti Blackness that Boxing started with which reflected everything else about the country. It's why the Great White Hope exists. It's why Rhonda does less to be just as big as Mayweather. Same with Connor. Same with Rock and Roll, same with Boy Bands and the list goes on. There's an audience ready to eat that shit up. You see historical context has a lot to do with History repeating itself.

You've broadened the racial discussion to a point where as a white dude it's a no win for me. No matter how I respond I look like an unrepentant dick lol.

"More"? What exactly is that supposed to mean, that I'm not allowed to dismiss him as a complete and utter piece of shit for his domestic abuse record? I appreciate the fact that he's black and grew up poor, but that doesn't even begin to let him off the hook for what he's done to women without apologizing for it. My Dad was a domestic abuser too. Is he "more" than that? Sure, he's done things in his life and had a hard upbringing, but verbally and physically abusing my mother and not being man enough to apologize for it ended anything I could have felt for him.

Mayweather being black and poor yet accomplishing great things doesn't make him a great man, or even a good man.

Nobody's letting him off the hook. Do you know what you're even arguing about? I said race plays a motivating factor in this fight especially for Floyd. You went on some rant about him not giving a fuck about Black people, being a Trump supporter, and being a domestic abuser as a rebuttal. Which I never disagreed with but still doesn't address anything I've been saying. All of your posts have been strawman arguments.

You've broadened the racial discussion to a point where as a white dude it's a no win for me. No matter how I respond I look like an unrepentant dick lol.

LOL My bad, highrider. Say what you gotta say. I promise I won't take offense and perhaps it'll add something I hadn't considered.

Chumley

Banned
Nobody's letting him off the hook. Do you know what you're even arguing about? I said race plays a motivating factor in this fight especially for Floyd. You went on some rant about him not giving a fuck about Black people, being a Trump supporter, and being a domestic abuser. Which I never disagreed with but still doesn't address anything I've been saying. All of your posts have been strawman arguments.

You're the one who has no clue what they're arguing about, you just keep saying that no one who isn't black can say that Floyd doesn't care about black people and pulled up one quote as a receipt. I'm saying that a guy who poses for photos with Trump and Kadyrov and beats women with a smile doesn't care about that shit, he doesn't care about anything other than himself. I don't need to black to be downright completely offended that you'd attribute a conscience for this guy. You're giving him credit he's never done anything to deserve. Do I need to bring up a list of black fighters who grew up poor who have actually demonstrably cared about race relations and the black experience in America?

You're the one who has no clue what they're arguing about, you just keep saying that no one who isn't black can say that Floyd doesn't care about black people and pulled up one quote as a receipt. I'm saying that a guy who poses for photos with Trump and Kadyrov and beats women with a smile doesn't care about that shit, he doesn't care about anything other than himself. I don't need to black to be downright completely offended that you'd attribute anything of a conscience for anything to this guy. You're giving him credit he's never done anything to deserve.

See, this is what I'm talking about. I never said Floyd cared about Black people. You did. Can you please point out any post where I've said this? You can't, because I didn't say it.

I pulled up a quote to show how he thinks racially as a lot of fighters do, which you tried to deny by saying he only thinks about money.

With all due respect, you don't know what the fuck you'e talking about. Black fighters CARE about not losing to White fighters. #FACTS There's a history to it.

Floyd CARES about not losing and maintaining his undefeated record enough that it motivates him to be disciplined, stay in shape, and consistently put that work in the gym.

How about you actually listen for once from somebody who knows more about this than you.

I feel like Roger Mayweather and hate talking to people who don't know shit about Boxing. LOL

https://instagram.com/p/BTHVjKRgIkM/

I don't need glasses I just like how they look on my face even tho they tilt on me cos of my banged up nose and ears I still feel like I look good happy Thursday everyone how's that 75milli make your stomach feel? It's actually 100+ milli if we go by the non conservative numbers the fight will actually do and that's not including my endorsements and business ventures. 28 years of age. Fresh cunt. Doubt me now ??

BSsBrolly

Banned
I understand it. But I also understand not every aspect of everything is about race. I think you are a good person lightskin but I think you are somewhat overplaying how much of an impact it has to the masses in this particular fight. Conor's last 3 fights have all done over 1.5 million buys, vs other white dudes. I mean he's a draw regardless. Its not just about race.

Huh?

Jose Aldo
Nate Diaz
Eddie Alvarez

White? I guess Nate and Eddie are light skinned but I don't think either are white.. I'm fairly certain Jose Aldo is half black.

It amuses me that people still try to downplay the Great White hope factor in matches like this. It also amuses me because Conor is Irish and back in the day many Whites looked upon Irishmen just as poorly as Blacks.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Conor got finished by Nate Diaz, and then had to go to the scorecards for the rematch.

Does anyone here think Diaz can beat Mayweather?

Dude Abides

Banned
Who would pay to see Floyd Mayweather dance around and occasionally give McGregor a love tap?

Floyd couldn't even knock out all those women he hit.

skyfinch

This isn't a fight. It's a bunch of smart business men planning their retirement. Their "meetings" are them in closed off rooms, having drinks together. All this feud between them seems like bullshit.

Bandini

I feel like there needs to be some kind of stipulation. Maybe Conor gets to use MMA gloves? A straight boxing match is gonna be boring as fuck for the average viewer.

Who would pay to see Floyd Mayweather dance around and occasionally give McGregor a love tap?

Floyd couldn't even knock out all those women he hit.

Conor is essentially a heavy bag with legs in there against Mayweather, he will get hit at will.

Fight will end in a TKO as a bloody and hurt Conor covers up and looks to the ref to save him.

Artdayne

Safe Money Mayweather will almost certainly win vs Conor but let's be real here, Conor is taking a bigger risk fighting Mayweather in his own sport than the summation of all the risks Mayweather has taken in his career. Boxing is a very specialized sport one that Conor doesn't have the experience to handle, certainly not against one of the greatest boxers of all-time. Wtih that said, Conor would obliterate him in an MMA fight or a real fight.

PixlNinja

Banned
This is the most pointless "Fight" ever if it happens. Floyd will embarrass Conor under Boxing rules but in a real fight Conor would destroy Floyd, so what exactly does this "fight" prove? That two guys can game the system and get paid for some carny bullshit that does neither sport any good?

I refuse to get invested in this. Let Conor use his legs and now you have my interest.

RootCause

This would be the greatest pre-fight hype ever. Can you imagine all the trash talk leading up to the fight?

Should be all kinds of entertaining. 😂

Reg

Banned
This is the most pointless "Fight" ever if it happens. Floyd will embarrass Conor under Boxing rules but in a real fight Conor would destroy Floyd, so what exactly does this "fight" prove? That two guys can game the system and get paid for some carny bullshit that does neither sport any good?

I refuse to get invested in this. Let Conor use his legs and now you have my interest.

MMA has rules too.

At this point it will get immensely difficult to persuade Conor to continure fighting in MMA for a "normal" payday. I believe that Dana really fucked himself here and that Conor priced himself out of MMA never to return.

ironcreed

Banned
This isn't a fight. It's a bunch of smart business men planning their retirement. Their "meetings" are them in closed off rooms, having drinks together. All this feud between them seems like bullshit.

Seems more like WWE, to be honest. But yeah, it's all about that big pay day. I would fight them both at the same time for just a taste of what they are making and would gladly get knocked the fuck out with a big smile on my face.

studyguy

Everyone waiting to see some epic fight and instead you're going to watch Money run a clinic on McGregor for however many rounds they agree to while everyone gets pissed off and says they were cheated.

Love it. Get paid.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Huh?

Jose Aldo
Nate Diaz
Eddie Alvarez

White? I guess Nate and Eddie are light skinned but I don't think either are white.. I'm fairly certain Jose Aldo is half black.

Black/White/Whatever really isn't as defined as all that in most places outside the US

BSsBrolly

Banned
Black/White/Whatever really isn't as defined as all that in most places outside the US

Yeah, it's just some of the comments in this thread make me smh. Boxing fans have no clue what MMA is. They talk as if it's just a bunch of white guys that can't compete in boxing. This thought process still bugs me. The sport is very diverse and is the closest thing to real fighting we have in a combat sport.

BadAss2961

No, as somebody that's a student of American history, African American history, and American sports; it's absolutely part of the narrative. It's the reason Golovkin is so overrated right now.

Just like it's the reason Rhonda Rousey was put on a pedestal.
I agree completely about Floyd and Conor being a fight that will inevitably spark huge racial tension. Especially with Floyd being the perceived villain, and fair to him or not, Conor being the great white hype. Whether or not Floyd is thinking about race in this fight yet, he will; and Floyd Sr certainly will. It will motivate their attitude for this fight in a way that probably only black people can fully understand.

However, I don't see race playing a factor with GGG. Dude is from Kazakhstan. Part Russian, part Asian. People love him so much because he viciously knocks people out. He's also got a charm about him. Distinct look and speech, plus that classic stoic Russian demeanor towards his opponents.

Camwi

Let's just all agree that we want to see this fight happen and it ends up being an epic.

I'd much rather see Conor defend his belt in the UFC. I'm salivating at the thought of him versus Tony Ferguson or (if he ever stays healthy) Khabib Nurmagomedov.

ironcreed

Banned
I'd much rather see Conor defend his belt in the UFC. I'm salivating at the thought of him versus Tony Ferguson or (if he ever stays healthy) Khabib Nurmagomedov.

He would rather be a circus act and do stunts like this for bigger money. I honestly see him moving on from UFC before too long.

Falchion

I want this to happen even though I know it'll just be 12 rounds of superior defensive fighting from Floyd resulting in a unanimous decision in his favor.

Takuan

I'm in it for the spectacle alone. The press conferences are gonna be brilliant. Then I get to watch Conor get picked apart by one of the best.

I can see Conor applying some mma fuckery just to piss Mayweather off enough to make a mistake.

commedieu

Banned
I want this to happen even though I know it'll just be 12 rounds of superior defensive fighting from Floyd resulting in a unanimous decision in his favor.

exactly.

I don't see why everyone is forgetting this bit. Floyds a good fighter, when he fights. Hes Old too. If this is a boxing match, Floyds likely going to come out on top. There is little to no way a unprofessional boxer is going to beat a professional belt winning boxer.

Edit:

Thats what this is going to be right, a boxing match?

Good for Conor if it gets done. I just hope he still does a couple of real fights in the ufc after this.

I think 3/4 for McGregor is fair, feels like he is the bigger draw outside of the US. I never heard of Floyd before the Manny fight fwiw.

Dana is gonna end up working for Connor.

Connor should just retire after this. Nowhere to go from here. Just sit back, relax and focus on health. Get out while you can.

PixlNinja

Banned
MMA has rules too.

But the fact that kicking is allowed in MMA pretty much seals Floyd's fate. He would take a couple leg kicks and the fight would be over. MMA still has rules, sure, but it's still MUCH closer to a real fight than a boxing match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom