• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Yes, really. Rough crowd. 49ers fans screaming all manner of horrible things at Packer fans, knocking their Cheese Hats off as they're going to their seats, calling them "fudgepackers," punching the seats when the 49ers fucked up. I really didn't feel safe in that stadium in packers gear. Maybe because it was the playoffs or maybe because I'm not used to NFL games (only ever been to one previously Broncos-Eagles in Denver where I was in Bronco gear), since most of the games I ever go to college games and they seem to just generally more polite and I'm used to them. To be fair there were a good handful of very polite 49ers fans that would at most give you a little friendly ribbing, but man they were not the majority.

And yes, FUCK getting out of Candlestick. So bad.

Try a Raiders game next time.

harSon

Banned
I still work there; driving 17 everyday sucks.

Yeah man, fuck the 17 haha. I get car sick easily too, so those windy roads fuck me up proper. Where are you commuting from? I knew a couple people who commuted to SC from SJ for school, don't think I could have ever done that...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
when attending raider games, it's best just to wear all black, cover your face, wear a bulletproof vest (maybe one of those dragon scale ones to prevent stabbings) and carry high grade pepper spray. Shit that could take down an elephant and has a huge ass tank of the stuff.

Yeah man, fuck the 17 haha. I get car sick easily too, so those windy roads fuck me up proper. Where are you commuting from? I knew a couple people who commuted to SC from SJ for school, don't think I could have ever done that...

Morgan Hill to SC. I'm one of the few people who work in SC and live over the hill. I never thought I'd miss living there, but I do. Morgan Hill is boring.

I keep telling myself to make it out there, but i'll end up at some fried chicken and waffle place instead.

Humphry Slocombe aint so bad either, but I've only had their Vietnamese Iced Coffee flavor and banana flavor.

Humphry Slocombe secret breakfast is my fav.

My friend and the owner throw a pop-up at Truck in the mission every few weeks, yummy comfort food and killer coke & bourbon floats with fresh baked cookies. Typically the featured item is based off the last meal of someone who was executed.

Man, camera crews everywhere on my block in the Haight Ashbury today. Guess they're digging in the backyard of one of the houses here hoping to find the body of Kevin Collins, a young boy who went missing about a hundred feet from here in 1984.

Crazy. Helicopters, news trucks, taped off areas and and a mobile police command center.

My GF mentioned she heard helicopters all day and somehow I didn't hear any of it even though I live a few blocks away. Pretty crazy.

harSon

Banned
Morgan Hill to SC. I'm one of the few people who work in SC and live over the hill. I never thought I'd miss living there, but I do. Morgan Hill is boring.

Yeah man, only reason to live out there is cost, fewer crimes and if you prefer the small town feel. That's about a 50-60 minute commute too, maybe more depending on traffic.

Egnirys

I know a guy in some of my classes who commutes from SJ to SC for school. He tries to have his classes on MWF or TTH exclusively and doesn't go to any sections. I have no idea how he does it, but he wants to graduate fast and get a job. When it rains he just doesn't go to class at all. I'd rather pay rent than spend money on gas + car maintenance.

harSon

Banned
Saaaaaaaaan Jooooooseeeeeeee

PS Oak Grove >>>>> Santa Teresa

I was expelled from Oak Grove my Freshman year :p

Dude I graduated from Santa Teresa HS in 2011. Small world.

Nice haha. I was class of 2006 though. A few of my friends/ex-teammates coach the football team now.

I was an absolute dick in High School though, so pretty much every teacher hated me. Off the top of my head, does Mr. Wilson (Not the black one. I know he still teaches actually, saw him at a football game), Mrs. Durnin, Mr. Rudasill, Mr Caldie, Mrs Meyers, Mrs Wilson (aka the Wedgie), Mr. Burnett, Mrs/Mr Mead, Mr Howard, Mr Rasmussen, Mrs Flores, etc. still teach at the school?

I know a guy in some of my classes who commutes from SJ to SC for school. He tries to have his classes on MWF or TTH exclusively and doesn't go to any sections. I have no idea how he does it, but he wants to graduate fast and get a job. When it rains he just doesn't go to class at all. I'd rather pay rent than spend money on gas + car maintenance.

You go to UCSC? What College are you? I was Oakes of course...

Some foodie tips, all my opinion of course:

Best Ramen - Sawaii Ramen, 2240 Irving SF. Around $10-13 for a bowl/person. Seriously this shit is the bomb. Best ramen i have ever had, hands down. Get the tonkatsu ramen with extra porkbelly and egg. You will thank me. Also, go lunch time, food seems to taste better haha.

Best Beef - House of Prime Rib, 1906 Van Ness SF. Be ready to spend $40-65 a person, upper limit with inclusion of alchohol. I've had pretty freaking good steak and prime rib at lots of restaurants and this place right here is my favorite. Its really my favorite restaurant now that i think about it. Very simple menu(only prime rib and "catch of the day" which tends to be salmon) with good sides. If you go here get the creamed spinach. Moderate wine selection. Good for those on keto/primal diet, just order two servings of the spinach.

Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.

Now I'm hungry.

I was Crown. I think I've eaten at every college eatery on campus while I was there. Love & miss Kresge co-op now that I don't go there anymore.

Also, I love driving 17 when it's shitty outside for some reason. Also, fastest time I've crossed it was 15 minutes, was like a Tuesday night I think - was heading to SJ to see a movie at Century 22 (friend was dry running a movie).

Kabuto

Nice haha. I was class of 2006 though. A few of my friends/ex-teammates coach the football team now.

I was an absolute dick in High School though, so pretty much every teacher hated me. Off the top of my head, does Mr. Wilson (Not the black one. I know he still teaches actually, saw him at a football game), Mrs. Durnin, Mr. Rudasill, Mr Caldie, Mrs Meyers, Mrs Wilson (aka the Wedgie), Mr. Burnett, Mrs/Mr Mead, Mr Howard, Mr Rasmussen, Mrs Flores, etc. still teach at the school?

I only went to ST my senior year so I didn't know as many teachers, but yeah Caldie and Mead are still teaching from what I know. Caldie was awesome; loved his snack bar he had haha

Egnirys

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Yes, really. Rough crowd. 49ers fans screaming all manner of horrible things at Packer fans, knocking their Cheese Hats off as they're going to their seats, calling them "fudgepackers," punching the seats when the 49ers fucked up. I really didn't feel safe in that stadium in packers gear. Maybe because it was the playoffs or maybe because I'm not used to NFL games (only ever been to one previously Broncos-Eagles in Denver where I was in Bronco gear), since most of the games I ever go to college games and they seem to just generally more polite and I'm used to them. To be fair there were a good handful of very polite 49ers fans that would at most give you a little friendly ribbing, but man they were not the majority.

And yes, FUCK getting out of Candlestick. So bad.

Sounds like the complete opposite of my experience. I would imagine the playoffs had a lot to do with it. I'm generally of the opinion that you can go to sports games as an away fan, and if you don't make a jackass of yourself there will always be someone else acting obnoxious to draw any negative attention elsewhere (not suggesting you were acting up). If you can laugh off a little ribbing from people passing by you'll generally be fine.

And yes, I've gone to a Raiders game fully decked out in Dolphins gear as well. Didn't have any particular problems or hostility thrown my way except for one guy who seemed to seriously dislike my hat but was content to only yell at me from ten rows away. For reference, the hat was one of those crazy looking zubas hats from the 80s; I do enjoy wearing it to live events because I know the look of it annoys people.

You cannot. Walking the barb wire ridden path from Bart to the stadium is another....interesting aspect of the Oakland Raider experience. Oh, and stabbings.

I always thought that crossing felt like you were getting herded into a concentration camp. Not exactly a pleasant or welcoming area.

hyp

small world, I'm a slug too. haha

Where at? I live in South San Jo, right behind Santa Teresa High School. Went to High School there too.

Hi neighbor. My niece goes to Santa Teresa now. I graduated from Oak Grove a while back. Andre Carter (49ers, Redskins, Raiders) was in my PE class and yes he was fucking huge. Gibril Wilson (NY Giants) was also in my PE class.

harSon

Banned
Hi neighbor. My niece goes to Santa Teresa now. I graduated from Oak Grove a while back. Andre Carter (49ers, Redskins, Raiders) was in my PE class and yes he was fucking huge. Gibril Wilson (NY Giants) was also in my PE class.

Did you know someone named Joseph Thompson by any chance? My brother went to Oak Grove around the time those guys were going to OG.

SJ raised as well. Living in Morgan Hill now, but I'm usually in the east side since the GF lives there + school.

East Side is where all the fun is at, although it's getting a bit more dangerous with the cutbacks in the SJPD :p Despite living in South San Jose, I always find myself on the East Side. South San Jose is boring, although Oakridge isn't too bad of a mall. Eastridge, Valley Fair, Great Mall and Santana Row are still better though.

nice! went to Indy, which is also where I spent the majority of my life. lived right by the flea market.

Berryessa Fleamarket? Haven't been there in years. Used to love going there when I was younger. The place is ridiculously big.

And what College were you at UCSC?

Porter, though I didn't live on campus for long. I was 24 at the time and everyone around me was young and getting drunk or high all the time. I've been living off campus with grad students since then. How was it at Oakes? I hate it when I have classes there because it's way out of the way.

Well yeah, it's Porter :p Oakes was alright. The dorms were pretty shitty compared to some of the other ones, so I couldn't wait to get the hell off of campus, but I met a lot of great people along the way. It's classification as the Minority college is definitely appropriate though haha

I only went to ST my senior year so I didn't know as many teachers, but yeah Caldie and Mead are still teaching from what I know. Caldie was awesome; loved his snack bar he had haha

Yeah man, Caldie was awesome. He still teaches Economics right? Does he still make students do the video project? That shit was fun as a hell. My group did a spin on Saw (maybe he showed it in class?)

I was Crown. I think I've eaten at every college eatery on campus while I was there. Love & miss Kresge co-op now that I don't go there anymore.

Also, I love driving 17 when it's shitty outside for some reason. Also, fastest time I've crossed it was 15 minutes, was like a Tuesday night I think - was heading to SJ to see a movie at Century 22 (friend was dry running a movie).

Yeah man, Kresge was pretty awesome. So damn peaceful and such gorgeous scenery. The campus in general is gorgeous, except Oakes which looks like it's minutes away from succumbing to a wild fire :p

That was always the thing about Oakes that would spook me during wildfire season whenever I had class in that area. Considering how many people were often smoking out there, all I would think was like 'damn, just one flicker and all this will go up in a blaze'.

Kresge is such a chill area but man those classrooms suck balls when it was either raining or hot outside... Ventilation wat?

Overall, I really love the UCSC campus just because of how much the environment changes within the college itself. Sure the trees cover most of the campus but I'll be damned if I don't love the view from the Cowell lawn on a clear day when you can see practically all the way to Watsonville.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Best Sushi - Sushiholic, 112 Vintage Way Novato. $15-40 a person. Really fresh fish combined with awesome awesome rolls at a good price. The piece of fish they give you, be it sashimi or sushi is just massive. I recommend the hawaiin butterfish, toro, and salmon belly.

Is it really that good? I pass that place all the time.

My favorite sushi joint is this little place in San Bruno called Hiro's. Once the staff know you as a regular, they usually hook you up with extra stuff.

Speaking of food, gonna try Atelier Crenn with some coworkers in a few months. Also going to hit Morimoto's up in Napa with some friends in a couple weeks. Next trip to French Laundry is November.

/foodie

harSon

Banned
That was always the thing about Oakes that would spook me during wildfire season whenever I had class in that area. Considering how many people were often smoking out there, all I would think was like 'damn, just one flicker and all this will go up in a blaze'.

Kresge is such a chill area but man those classrooms suck balls when it was either raining or hot outside... Ventilation wat?

Overall, I really love the UCSC campus just because of how much the environment changes within the college itself. Sure the trees cover most of the campus but I'll be damned if I don't love the view from the Cowell lawn on a clear day when you can see practically all the way to Watsonville.

The lack of air conditioning at a lot of the colleges was downright dreadful at times. I remember there was a heat wave during the first week of school in 2010, and temperatures in SC reached like 106-108 degrees. I had a class in Classroom Unit 1 (Buildings near the Book Store) at the peak of the day, and with no air conditioning and 1-2 doors of ventilation for that entire room (and it's a pretty damn large room), the class was beyond hot. The professor ended up literally saying "Fuck this," and canceled class for the day haha.

And yeah, the Campus is crazy. It's amazing how different the climate can be between Downtown SC and on Campus. Hell, different sides of the campus seem to have their own climates.

I really love that campus. Miss it so much.

DoubleTap

I keep telling myself to make it out there, but i'll end up at some fried chicken and waffle place instead

.Humphry Slocombe aint so bad either, but I've only had their Vietnamese Iced Coffee flavor and banana flavor.

Is there a place you can recommend? I've always wanted to try it.

The lack of air conditioning at a lot of the colleges was downright dreadful at times. I remember there was a heat wave during the first week of school in 2010, and temperatures in SC reached like 106-108 degrees. I had a class in Classroom Unit 1 (Buildings near the Book Store) at the peak of the day, and with no air conditioning and 1-2 doors of ventilation for that entire room (and it's a pretty damn large room), the class was beyond hot. The professor ended up literally saying "Fuck this," and canceled class for the day haha.

And yeah, the Campus is crazy. It's amazing how different the climate can be between Downtown SC and on Campus. Hell, different sides of the campus seem to have their own climates.

Oh man... Indian Summer heatwaves were the worst in any classroom not in Colleges 8, 9, 10 or in the science buildings... Because leaving the doors open for a big-ass space during that time is really going to help.

And yeah, the climate changes were always crazy, both on campus and in town. There were times when I wish I brought like a hoody for one class and then was whining about being too hot in another class.

Damn I miss UCSC lol.

Is there a place you can recommend? I've always wanted to try it.

Well you've got House of Chicken and Waffles in Jack London square. It's as closest as you're going to get to Roscoes from Socal. Actually at one point I think it used to be called Roscoes, but changed the name for some reason. I like 900 Grayson and Brown Sugar Kitchen better though. 900 Grayson is a little more modern i guess, Brown Sugar Kitchen is a little bit homier.

EDIT: forgot to say that 900 Grayson is actually in Berkeley, but close enough.

Did you know someone named Joseph Thompson by any chance? My brother went to Oak Grove around the time those guys were going to OG.

Hmmmm, sounds familiar. I was always with the skater/stoner crowds. Speaking of which, I do think ST had way better skaters than OG ones :p I remember seeing a bunch of fights behind that Nob Hill there too, haha.

SJ raised as well. Living in Morgan Hill now, but I'm usually in the east side since the GF lives there + school.

I didn't think anyone lived in Morgan Hill but me.

Also, what did the UCSC colleges actually do? I was in Cowell, but I was already a junior.

God, I hated UCSC so much.

Linkhero1

Well you've got House of Chicken and Waffles in Jack London square. It's as closest as you're going to get to Roscoes from Socal. Actually at one point I think it used to be called Roscoes, but changed the name for some reason. I like 900 Grayson and Brown Sugar Kitchen better though. 900 Grayson is a little more modern i guess, Brown Sugar Kitchen is a little bit homier.

I'm surprised by the lack of chicken and waffle spots here. Probably some of the best food I've eaten while visiting SoCal.

I wish we had a Bruxies here :(

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

House of Chicken and Waffles is fucking terrible. The chicken is shitty and the service is bad too.

Seriously, KFC is better.

House of Chicken and Waffles is fucking terrible. The chicken is shitty and the service is bad too.

Yea I don't go there anymore, but it's the closest you'll get to Roscoes in terms of atmosphere and dishes they serve. Shitty service is expected from a place like that :p

If anyone ever goes/lives in Oakland, Beer Revolution is an awesome place for beer and hangout spot.

Egnirys

Well yeah, it's Porter :p Oakes was alright. The dorms were pretty shitty compared to some of the other ones, so I couldn't wait to get the hell off of campus, but I met a lot of great people along the way. It's classification as the Minority college is definitely appropriate though haha
I know, I'm a transfer and the school made it sound like we had to live on campus at the transfer community at Porter. I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad but I think it was worse. I had to get off campus. Also I wasn't fond of eating on campus. I like cooking and really missed home cooked meals. I also really like where I live, I'm a mile from the base so it's easy to walk to campus or drive off to downtown or seabright. But I love the 2 unit classes Porter has. I have an AA in graphic design so Porter courses keep me sane when I'm not in econ lectures.

I had a section at Oakes at night and it would freak me out because the classroom had huge sliding glass doors facing the woods. One night this student emerged from the darkness and knocked on the glass door. Freaked everyone including the TA out!

As much as I will sometimes complain about UCSC, nothing beats getting out of class and smelling redwoods.

I didn't think anyone lived in Morgan Hill but me.

Also, what did the UCSC colleges actually do? I was in Cowell, but I was already a junior.

God, I hated UCSC so much.

I have no idea what the colleges do. They were formed to give the campus a smaller feel. It was inspired by the way the ancient Greeks taught I think.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Has anyone been to the Vegan Soul Food place right down the road from House of Chicken and Waffles? It is at 3rd and Broadway, right next door to Beer Revolution. I heard ok things about that, and I think they have fried okra, which is the best food ever invented.

I don't know how the hell you make greens without ham hocks though.

DoubleTap

EDIT: forgot to say that 900 Grayson is actually in Berkeley, but close enough.

Thank you!

I had a section at Oakes at night and it would freak me out because the classroom had huge sliding glass doors facing the woods. One night this student emerged from the darkness and knocked on the glass door. Freaked everyone including the TA out!

As much as I will sometimes complain about UCSC, nothing beats getting out of class and smelling redwoods.

Oh jeez... That probably would've spooked me even more since there are no lights in the areas that actually need lights lol.

But yeah... the smell of clean air and redwoods when it rains was usually why I opted to walk to most of my classes versus taking a shuttle.

Has anyone been to the Vegan Soul Food place right down the road from House of Chicken and Waffles? It is at 3rd and Broadway, right next door to Beer Revolution. I heard ok things about that, and I think they have fried okra, which is the best food ever invented.

I don't know how the hell you make greens without ham hocks though.

My friend works at Souley Vegan. I'm not a big vegan food fan, but i did try their fried okra and liked it. Souley Vegan often serves food at Beer Revolution at night.

Top Bottom