• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 |OT| Yes, you can start with this one!

IrishNinja

26xBBi5IgnYzy3LO0.gif

inIPjU6.png

Yakuza 0
Japanese Title龍が如く0 誓いの場所, "Ryū ga Gotoku Zero: Chikai no Basho"
Release Date: 3/12/2015 (Japan), 1/24/17 (Worldwide)
Genre: Kazuma Kiryu Simulator / Action/Beat-em-up RPG
Platform: PlayStation 3 (JP only), Playstation 4
Publisher: SEGA
Developer: Amusement Vision / CS1 Team
Official Websites: SOA
Wiki Page i jacked a lot of this from wholesale: EN
Price: $59.95 USD, it's like 40 something with prime/BB GC
Rating: M
Boxarts: on point
bruh are you still just reusing this section's formatting from himuro's yakuza 3 OT: yes, stop snitching

NLpVogg.png

In December, 1988, two unlikely figures from the Yakuza world, Kazuma Kiryu of the Kantō region and Goro Majima of the Kansai Region, have suddenly found themselves getting involved in the terrible events of the so-called "Vacant Lot" dispute, which is the centrepiece of power struggle for all the dark organizations across Japan. In order to find out the truth behind such a power struggle, as well as maintain their own innocence and safety, they set out to investigate all the events surrounding the "Vacant Lot" incident.
In Kamurocho, Kiryu is suspected of murder after the man that he has collected money from winds up dead in a piece of real estate that is hotly contested. Kiryu's boss, Sohei Dojima, offers a promotion to second-in-command of the Dojima Family to whomever can find the deed to the land and thus the most ruthless members go after Kiryu. On the run, Kiryu must prove his innocence thus keeping his foster father from facing retribution for introducing him into the clan.

In Osaka, Goro Majima runs a cabaret club after being exiled from the Tojo Clan due to the Ueno-Seiwa hit years earlier. Despite his club being highly successful, he realizes it's nothing more than cage as he's under constant surveillance. One day, he's offered the chance to redeem himself by assassinating a target. He takes the job, but can't go through with it when he realizes his target is in fact a defenseless blind girl. He decides to protect her instead and find out why she's being targeted.

NvDC4MS.png

y03.gif

2F0Wrqp.png

y01.gif

YTWSyZg.png

y02.gif

Reviews!

pretty much everyone loved it (currently 85 on metacritic, if you're into that sort of thing!) except EGM, which post 1up is a shell anyway and let's be honest, GameFan ran the better mag

x0LktCK.png

Kiryu trailer
Majima trailer
E3 2016
Nightlife trailer
Battle systems

tg3uSOV.png

- What's New In Yakuza 0's Combat? - by Son of Sparda

Well the basics that we explained above almost all apply here as well but there are some big changes in this game that we'll try to go over them now. By far the biggest change in Yakuza 0 is the Style system that has been introduced for the first time (and probably the last, going by Yakuza 6) in the main series.

By now you must know that Yakuza 0 has two playable characters. Kazuma Kiryu the main protagonist of the series, and the Mad Dog Goro Majima, the long time badass support character of the series that everyone wanted to play as for years.

In Yakuza 0 each of these characters have three different play styles which you can switch in between them, real time in midst of battle using D-Pad. Now, let's go over each style and tell a little bit about them.

We'll start with Kiryu since he has been series protag for a long time. Kiryu has three styles which are called Brawler, Rush and Beast.

Brawler (Blue): This is the blue colored style in which Kiryu's fighting is most similar to his earlier iterations in past titles. While it plays very good the actual moves and animations make you feel like you are actually playing as a lot less refined Kiryu in his 20s. Most of your heat moves are available in this style and it has a balance between quickness and strength. Also, you can pick up and use weapons in this style.

Rush (Pink): This is by far the quickest style in the game. Kiryu's attacks are a lot faster but don't really pack a punch. Guard in this style has been replaced by a quick instill dodge that lets you avoid the incoming attacks and immediately go back to landing hits. A very cool feature in this style is that as your heat bar goes up your speed actually increases with it. So the fights in this style could become really fast and fluid.

Beast (Yellow): Well, it's in the name. Your attacks and general movements are a lot slower this time but they pack a hell of a punch. You can imagine Kiryu to be like a grizzly bear in this style. You won't even have a guard option in this style and instead the guard button lets Kiryu just takes in the hits (and stand still like they are nothing) and get heat from them. Also a very cool feature of this style is that Kiryu just naturally picks up on things and use them when you are beating up the fools who have dared to fight you. It really feels natural and both enjoyable to see and play.

Now, let's go over to Majima and his three styles which are called Thug, Slugger and Breaker. The names alone should tell how much crazier this character is.

Thug (Blue): This is basically the equivalent of Kiryu's Brawler style, though the actual moves and combos are completely different. Also, if we are comparing them, then I gotta say that the way Majima attacks, his animations, his quickness and overall feel of combat really makes you feel like you are playing as professional who knows his way around battles compared to the inexperienced Kiryu.

Breaker (Pink): Now this is absolutely crazy. Majima dances away in this style doing spins and hitting enemies with his fast leg attacks while making poses in midst of battle. Actually keeping your pose will make it so you get more heat so the goal is to be fast, look sick as hell and taunt your enemies while you beat them to the inch of their lives. Like Kiryu's Rush style, the moves don't hit that hard but the quickness and crowd control moves more than make up for it.

Slugger (Yellow): This style is one of the most amazing things that we've ever seen in the series. Majima just loves Baseball and carries a Baseball Bat with him at all times. This style completely focuses on that side of the character and I gotta say the things that he does with the Bat are absolutely amazing. This is a Bat but Majima will use it like Nunchuks, Katana, some sort of Gymnastic instrument... The team was so imaginative with this particular style and it really shows.

So, these were the changes that Yakuza 0 brings to the traditional formula of Yakuza series. Fingers crossed that I didn't put any of you guys to sleep. Also, not to spoil anything but if you want to get even more out of combat then I strongly recommend you to finish each character's Sphere Grid. *Wink Wink*

Pre-orders!

Amazon & most anyone carrying release-day copies will have Business Day Editions, which bring these cool goodies!

LrSbBul.jpg

Gamestop also has this exclusive poster:

Qh6W2oz.jpg

BOHpL9f.png

Q: So, is it really okay to start with this one? cause i hurrd Kiwamis might
A: BOY IF YOU DON'T PUT SOME RESPECT ON THAT THREAD TITLE
for real though, Kiwami (a reimagning of part 1) is due this summer, so yes, this is the perfect entry point for series newcomers!

Q: I've always been interested, but what's the series all about?
A: We've an excellent thread on that very question, but basically: do you dig beat-em-ups with occasional RPG like tendencies (River City Ransom, Scott Pilgrim, or uh, just plain Streets of Rage 2)? then you're gonna love this!
it's gritty mafia/yakuza storytelling with cheesey fist-to-the-sky, manly-tears manga melodrama in between you smacking dudes up with bicycles and mailboxes because oh so you must not know who kazzy-chan is yet huh, come get this work

Q: How long/difficult is this one?
A: Veteran players often start on hard mode, so normal should be fairly enjoyable - it's said to be about 25+ hours but there's obviously tons more time if you explore Kamurocho run with the mini-games! Also, if you're crazy enough to go for a platinum here, well, be prepared.

Q: So what arcade games are in this one?
A: All the classic Yu Suzuki greats! Space Harrier, OutRun (the GOAT), Hang-On and Fantasy Zone!
Part 6 is gonna have Virrtua Fighter 2, so hold onto your butts

Q: What about PS4 Pro support?
A:
v2QKOnI.gif

*edit! per lucebuce12
the new beta firmware has added Boost mode and it's apparently locked the game to a stable 60 fps and removed all screen tearing (or what little there was)

Q: Is there any DLC?
A: Yes - as of the writing of this post, 4 free DLC packs! So far it's mostly been outfits, crafting items & useful in-game stuff, Sega really is fantastic about this. also, if you want more freebies? load a save from Yakuza; Ishin!

Q: Is there a demo?
A: Sadly, only on PSN in japan, for now! but i see you may still need some convincing, so here's this

Links!

Yakuza Community Thread - FEEL THE HEAT!
Series Starter Guide - Welcome to Kamurocho
1 Month to go hype thread!
JP release OT

9NHJtuGha.gif

courtesy of ZombiePlatypus!

thread will be a work in progress, please bear with us! much love to cj_iwakura for imaging work & character section, Son of Sparda for combat section & so much more, and parakeetman for being great about me completely ripping those images/banners from his awesome OT

I'm ready as soon as it's up on UK store. Not my first Yakuza game (played 4) but the first one I'm buying and not grabbing on PS+. Really excited.

And yes the title is perfect.

I need the OT title to be fixed. It should be:

Otherwise, seeing that formatted differently than everything else on the forum is going to bother me :p

Megauap

There's a little mistake in the Japanese release date for the game, it says "20115" when it should be "2015".
Great OT! Thanks for creating it!

Cess007

I know someone would suggest that OT title at some point. It was obvious :p

Also, I envy you all who are playing this tomorrow :( Have fun!

Gong

Great OT OP

All pre-loaded and ready to go tomorrow with my first Yakuza game, really looking forward to it.

IrishNinja

I need the OT title to be fixed. It should be:

Otherwise, seeing that formatted differently than everything else on the forum is going to bother me :p

There's a little mistake in the Japanese release date for the game, it says "20115" when it should be "2015".
Great OT! Thanks for creating it!

good catches, thanks gents

Which Yakuza games contain these amazing times?

tiger action is 2, bear is 5! leaping dudes also 5

Which Yakuza games contain these amazing times?

Tiger punching is from 2. The bear and double team attacks are from 5.

*edit* Awesome OT, glad to see so much interest in the series after its gone under the radar outside of Japan for the longest time. I've already finished my import copy but am looking forward to 100%ing it again. In short its probably the best game in the series, well its a toss up between 2 and 0...

cj & Irish, great work on OT!

Pre-loaded and ready! 7 hours and 15 minutes to go! I'll probably go get some sleep so that I can devote tons of time to this when it finally unlocks :)

S1kkZ

played for over 12 hours already and just finished chapter 4. truly amazing game.
i know its a weird comparison but: to me, it feels like a classic jrpg from the ps1 era, with realtime combat and 80s japan setting.

DJMicLuv

Waiting for it to appear on UK PSN at the moment. Will buy as soon as it hits and start downloading. Really looking forward to it.

Menitta

I don't think the Japanese PSN demo is still up. I tried redownloading it a few days ago and it wouldn't let me. I also couldn't find it on the store.

Rymuth

f118219a5f792eb2053c22a578079487.jpg

Oh yeah, we in there. Fantastic OT.

- Loving the side stories so far
- The seamless transition into fights have caused me to spend endless hours just smacking dudes

Spoilers

-
Tachibana is a super worthy addition to the franchise

So far, this is a strong contender for my favorite Yakuza.

Top Bottom