• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TCL P607 P Series ( the new mid range/budget 4k/HDR recommendation)

phanphare

Banned
Sweet, I have been following since CES and the combo is too good to be true but it is true! Will buy since OLED is still too much for my blood.

BTW, your name reminds of Funcoland videogame store.

oh god I loved funcoland

rows and rows of SNES games most of them were like $4

phanphare

Banned

yep that's the one

it's the same TV but it has a different remote. it's something that Best Buy will sometimes do so they don't have to price match.

"The variant found at Bestbuy (55P605) is the same TV, but it has a simpler remote that lacks the private listening feature."

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/tcl/p607

RedAssedApe

Banned
according to the cnet review input lag is still relatively low when you have fald/local dimming on

15ms to 35ms (although he didn't mention if there was more lag in hdr modes)

that's pretty nice so i'll probably leave game mode off unless i'm playing something online like a competitive FPS or fighting game. most sets struggle to get to that higher number.

RedAssedApe

Banned
ok i lied. the gray uniformity on this 2nd set is bugging me. gonna try one more time. hopefully third time will be a charm. :(

not super hopeful as the cnet and rtings reviews both mentioned this as one of the negatives in their review panels. at least their shipping is quick so if this doesn't work out i still have time to do a return.

i am worried about the people posting horror stories about best buy/tre randomly blacklisting them for a year on future returns though lol

Bgamer90

Banned
ok i lied. the gray uniformity on this 2nd set is bugging me. gonna try one more time. hopefully third time will be a charm. :(

not super hopeful as the cnet and rtings reviews both mentioned this as one of the negatives in their review panels. at least their shipping is quick so if this doesn't work out i still have time to do a return.

i am worried about the people posting horror stories about best buy/tre randomly blacklisting them for a year on future returns though lol

The only live/"watch as it airs for the first time" content that I watch is sports so gray uniformity is a big thing for me too. Hearing that this TV isn't good at it is the only thing that's holding me back and making me think of just spending the money on a Sony X900E.

funcojoe

Got my set in yesterday, spent all day adjusting settings to get the picture where I like.

Impressions - hdr gaming looked really f ing good. Played infamous and ratchet and clank and both looked great.
YouTube demo reels - blacks looks amazing, very very impressive.
Netflix within the roku app DOLBY VISION content looked absolutely horrendous . Tried multiple titles and everything was so dark I couldn't stand another second.
Amazon hdr content within the roku app, same thing as netflix, completely dark, could not fix this what so ever.

Questions in case anyone knows, how am I supposed to use the calibration settings from the roku phone app? It's a bunch of input values but I have nothing to go off of?

Norse

Questions in case anyone knows, how am I supposed to use the calibration settings from the roku phone app? It's a bunch of input values but I have nothing to go off of?

I think then cnet review gives settings from the Roku app. Rtings.com may as well but I'm not sure at the moment.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Got my set in yesterday, spent all day adjusting settings to get the picture where I like.

Impressions - hdr gaming looked really f ing good. Played infamous and ratchet and clank and both looked great.
YouTube demo reels - blacks looks amazing, very very impressive.
Netflix within the roku app DOLBY VISION content looked absolutely horrendous . Tried multiple titles and everything was so dark I couldn't stand another second.
Amazon hdr content within the roku app, same thing as netflix, completely dark, could not fix this what so ever.

Odd. I though Amazon hdr looked fine. What specifically were you watching? I dont subscribe to Netflix 4k plan so can't comment there.

What picture mode were you using? Movie for sdr and hdr dark for hdr content looked the most accurate out of the box. Everything else was just the standard settings for me. Local dimming high.

Both cnet and rtings post settings in their reviews.

funcojoe

Yea I went with their settings, same settings as you mentioned. I tried am amazon , the man in the high castle, and on Netflix all the marvel shows.

It just seemed extremely dark, actually looked better playing in standard 4k on my non hdr Samsung 4k.

GreekWolf

Yea I went with their settings, same settings as you mentioned. I tried am amazon , the man in the high castle, and on Netflix all the marvel shows.

It just seemed extremely dark, actually looked better playing in standard 4k on my non hdr Samsung 4k.

On the TCL P series, the Dolby settings are reversed between Netflix and Youtube.

You need to set the Roku picture mode to Dolby BRIGHT when watching Netlfix Dolby HDR. Set it to Dolby DARK when watching Youtube Dolby HDR. I'm not sure about Amazon but it's probably Dolby dark as well.

Makes a world of difference, and Daredevil looks freaking amazing during night scenes.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Was going to try and pick this up at best buy but it's not available until the 7th or 8th in my area. =/

I thought it was 120hz, no?

Nevermind saw it's 60hz on rtings site. Hmmm not sure if I want it now.

Don't think any stores have it right now for whatever reason. They are basically all sitting at bestbuy warehouses. You should be able to get one quicker if you do home delivery instead of store pickup. It only took three days to get mine.

funcojoe

On the TCL P series, the Dolby settings are reversed between Netflix and Youtube.

You need to set the Roku picture mode to Dolby LIGHT when watching Netlfix Dolby HDR. Set it to Dolby DARK when watching Youtube Dolby HDR. I'm not sure about Amazon but it's probably Dolby dark as well.

Makes a world of difference, and Daredevil looks freaking amazing during night scenes.

O? Awesome! Gonna try this, why is it like that though?

funcojoe

W9TWdi

Infamous.

GreekWolf

O? Awesome! Gonna try this, why is it like that though?

No idea, seems like a software glitch that needs a firmware update. I think TCL knew they had a winner on their hands and shipped the P series out to the U.S. market as quickly as possible. Picture quality is superb but the software probably needed more testing.

Hope those settings work for you. DV looks great once it's all set up properly.

KageMaru

Don't think any stores have it right now for whatever reason. They are basically all sitting at bestbuy warehouses. You should be able to get one quicker if you do home delivery instead of store pickup. It only took three days to get mine.

Cool thanks. I'm still unsure on picking it up at all since it's only 60hz. Looking into it, it looks like the only draw back to this is the lack of interpolation. Any other draw backs that I'm missing?

funcojoe

Well I guess it's up to me being anoob to hdr. I still feel netflix and amazon look too dark even with changing that setting. It made them watchable but I'm so used to my curved Samsung from 2014 that can still shoot out a very vibrant picture.

So it's weird.

YouTube 4k hdr from the roku app looks phenomenal, bright as I like it with the deepest blacks.
Ps4pro games look just as good, so far I have tried ratchet and clank as well as infamous. With infamous just hands down being the better hdr title out of those two.
I'm downloading uncharted as I type this.

Now netflix from the pro from what I read doesn't support dolbyvision yet, but I tried a few shows and everything looked great in regular 4k.
So why do the netflix and amazon apps when launched from roku look perfectly fine until you launch a hdr or Dolby vision show and it literally just kills any sort of vivid picture, just kills it.

I'm seeing what looks like a very low backlight setting even though it's set to max with perfect blacks and the occasional bright spot from a window or sun in the show. I would have to ask if this is an industry problem.

I did done research and I see owners of the lg oled sets complaining of the same thing.

GreekWolf

Well I guess it's up to me being anoob to hdr. I still feel netflix and amazon look too dark even with changing that setting. It made them watchable but I'm so used to my curved Samsung from 2014 that can still shoot out a very vibrant picture.

So it's weird.

YouTube 4k hdr from the roku app looks phenomenal, bright as I like it with the deepest blacks.
Ps4pro games look just as good, so far I have tried ratchet and clank as well as infamous. With infamous just hands down being the better hdr title out of those two.

Now netflix from the pro from what I read doesn't support dolbyvision yet, but I tried a few shows and everything looked great in regular 4k.
So why do the netflix and amazon apps when launched from roku look perfectly fine until you launch a hdr or Dolby vision show and it literally just kills any sort of vivid picture, just kills it.

I'm seeing what looks like a very low backlight setting even though it's set to max with perfect blacks and the occasional bright spot from a window or sun in the show. I would have to ask if this is an industry problem.

I did done research and I see owners of the lg oled sets complaining of the same thing.

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that even optimal settings with DV are still going to look several shades darker than non-HDR content. There's definitely an adjustment period with your eyes growing accustomed to the different image. The peaks of brightness in DV, like a sunrise peaking through the clouds, looks brilliant... but the accompanying surroundings will always look dimmer in comparison.

The good news is that we should see TV's coming down the pipeline within a few years featuring thousands of nits brightness, which will make all the difference in the world to HDR content.

RedAssedApe

Banned

So it's weird.

i think the only show on Amazon Prime that supports dolby vision is Bosch? (not 100% sure on that) The rest are HDR10. I watched both Man in the High Castle and Mozart and I didn't feel like the shows were too dark. Was using Dark HDR with Fald on. Brightness setting i'd toggle between normal or brighter depending on the light in the room.

LowSignal

So it's weird.

I noticed a big positive difference in Horizon Zero Dawn with HDR on playing on a LG OLED

Stiler

With FALD on how do you guys think the blacks look? It doesn't crush the dark areas does it? So detail that should be viewable is still viewable.

With my KS8000 I had that issue where with dimming on it crushed the blacks and made the areas that should be seen too dark and detail was lost.

funcojoe

With FALD on how do you guys think the blacks look? It doesn't crush the dark areas does it? So detail that should be viewable is still viewable.

With my KS8000 I had that issue where with dimming on it crushed the blacks and made the areas that should be seen too dark and detail was lost.

Well so far in all the YouTube demos I've seen the blacks are perfect, going by the settings rtngs posted. No crushed blacks. I'm a photographer so I know all about crushing blacks.

Again though netflix and amazon in the roku app are very dark pictures but I'm starting to think certain movies or shows just don't lend themselves well to hdr.

Gaming so far has been really good, infamous can get a little absurdly black but if it bothers you too much I've seen just brightening the picture can help or just bringing up the brightness a few notches.

Cool thanks. I'm still unsure on picking it up at all since it's only 60hz. Looking into it, it looks like the only draw back to this is the lack of interpolation. Any other draw backs that I'm missing?

120hrz mode on TVs is awful anyway, always the furst thing I take off along wuth noise reduction.

KageMaru

120hrz mode on TVs is awful anyway, always the furst thing I take off along wuth noise reduction.

Only thing I'd turn off is interpolation but that isn't supported in this TV, so that's a win in my book. Not sure on the other features since the last TV I've gotten was a hand me down 1080p DLP. That burned out, so I game entirely on my PC monitor and am waiting on a good enough 4K HDR TV to hold me over until the LG OLEDs come down to a decent price.

Well the reason I always rule out a 60hz panel is that it usually can't handle proper 24p playback. So what's confusing here is this TV is a 60hz panel, but it supports judder free 24p playback. How does that work? In the past you needed a 120hz panel for it to be judder free.

Siphorus

Thought I'd give an update on my experiences with HDR from my PC, I was able to get HDR playback working on the Windows 10 Creators update with nvidia 384.76 drivers.

SaintR

Quick question here. I've read conflicting things online saying that this TV doesn't have the option to turn off "motion smoothing" or whatever it'd be called on this tv.

I really dislike that Soap Opera Effect look and it's one of the first things I try and turn off when I see it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Quick question here. I've read conflicting things online saying that this TV doesn't have the option to turn off "motion smoothing" or whatever it'd be called on this tv.

I really dislike that Soap Opera Effect look and it's one of the first things I try and turn off when I see it.

see rtings review here. no motion smoothing options.

For those who have the P607 or Best Buy model P605, which video output settings did you set your PS4 Pro to? I calibrated my TV using rting.com's recommended settings, but the HDR mode appears to look a bit washed out, loses its brightness in comparison to the TV's picture mode being set to Movie or Vivid mode while the color temperature is set to warm. This is especially evident in Mass Effect Andromeda as the loading screen before the title screen gains a layer of grayness and the TV screen dimmers making the stars and planets lose their vividness. My PS4 settings were all set to Automatic and I tried changing the RGB range to limited to see if that would make a difference. I didn't experiencing any crushed blacks on full RGB, so surely the RGB range was correct. Very confused by it.

EDIT: It seems my p605 also cranks up the sharpness automatically to an unsightly level when HDR is turned on if the sharpness for the HDR mode is set at O. I fixed it by setting the sharpness to 1 which retains the sharpness setting back to O. WTF. Can anyone else please confirm if this occurs on their TV as well?

SaintR

see rtings review here. no motion smoothing options.

Thanks for the help. Gonna wait till they finally release the 65inch version of this hopefully not too long from now. Was looking at the Oled but can't justify that 3K price tag. This will have to be my happy medium.

funcojoe

For those who have the P607 or Best Buy model P605, which video output settings did you set your PS4 Pro to? I calibrated my TV using rting.com's recommended settings, but the HDR mode appears to look a bit washed out, loses its brightness in comparison to the TV's picture mode being set to Movie or Vivid mode while the color temperature is set to warm. This is especially evident in Mass Effect Andromeda as the loading screen before the title screen gains a layer of grayness and the TV screen dimmers making the stars and planets lose their vividness. My PS4 settings were all set to Automatic and I tried changing the RGB range to limited to see if that would make a difference. I didn't experiencing any crushed blacks on full RGB, so surely the RGB range was correct. Very confused by it.

EDIT: It seems my p605 also cranks up the sharpness automatically to an unsightly level when HDR is turned on if the sharpness for the HDR mode is set at O. I fixed it by setting the sharpness to 1 which retains the sharpness setting back to O. WTF. Can anyone else please confirm if this occurs on their TV as well?
Same here with the sharpness thing.

funcojoe

I just got mine yesterday and notice a diagonal line on the upper left side of the TV. Only visible with dark/black images. I am guessing this is not normal:

Can you only see it when looking at the tv when it's on with the cell light?
I mean I would assume it's not normal and if it bothers you to just exchange for another one. Thing is though I've learned over the years to never shine a bright light source on a tv panel, monitor, or the glass in my camera lenses because all it does is begin an endless loop of cleaning and obsessing. Seriously, don't shine cell phone lights at your panels.

Top Bottom