• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Secret World - Information And Update Thread [New dev diary]

derFeef

For whatever reason, the skill wheel is already "testable" on this site and you can get an idea of the skills.

xKU1U.png

http://tsw.mmoz.pl/tsw-skillwheel.html

Also this seems interesting:
Clothes will be available from vendors, shops and marketplaces, but many items will also be reward based. One thing I’m particularly excited about is the template deck outfits. Template decks are a set of powers that enable the player to fulfill a certain role, and this is comparable to Magic the Gathering’s starter decks. On completion of any of these templates the player is given an outfit that reflects what that deck is. So for instance, if a player completes the Ninja deck, he or she is given a Ninja costume. All of the templates are faction specific, meaning that there will be different outfits for Templars, Illuminati or Dragon!
http://crygaia.net/journal/cry-gaia-journal-january-2012/

edit:

Game is heavily voiced - http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?p=657337#post657337
There are three mission types:

Story Missions - Fully Voiced (of course)
Main Missions - Always given by NPCs and fully voiced.
Item Missions - No NPC involved, no voice involved (except in rare circumstances)

All the missions with NPCs are given via cutscenes and are fully voiced. If you don't care for such things, the ESC button skips the entire cutscene (and Ragnar dies a little inside).

The Secret World will be launching June 19th, 2012!

Independent developer and publisher of online games, Funcom, today announced that the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online role-playing game ‘The Secret World’ will launch on June 19th, 2012. Originally slated for an April launch, Funcom has decided to invest more development time into the title in order to apply even more polish before launch.

Feedback from hands-on press events and beta testing has proven very positive, and Funcom intends to spend the additional development time focusing on polish and tweaking to maximize the potential of the game. The beta feedback so far is showing very positive reactions to core game features such as the role-playing systems, combat, missions, dungeons, story and immersion. Among the beta testers surveyed, almost 9 out of 10 say they will play the game at launch.

More than 750,000 gamers are now registered as beta testers, which is significantly higher than Funcom’s previous MMO ‘Age of Conan’ had at the same point in development. Funcom expects the number of beta registrations to grow significantly in the coming months, as the company ramps up its major PR and marketing initiatives towards launch.

“Allowing for even more time to polish the game really shows just how much faith Funcom as a company has in ‘The Secret World’and how committed we are to making it the best it can be,” says Creative Director and Senior Producer Ragnar Tørnquist. “The additional time will also allow us to carry out even more quality beta testing, and soon we will also be announcing several public beta events where hundreds of thousands of gamers will get to test the game prior to launch.”

‘The Secret World’ is consistently mentioned as one of the most anticipated MMO’s in development. Mainstream publications such as Forbes and The Guardian have both listed‘The Secret World’ as a game to watch out for in 2012, and the game has also been singled out as one of the most anticipated games of 2012 by gaming sites such as G4TV, VideoGamer, and RockPaperShotgun. Leading technology website VentureBeat highlighted ‘The Secret World’ as one of the top new game brands of 2012, and over at MMORPG.com the game was given the ‘Rising Star’ in the site’s Reader’s Choice Awards.

Following the first hands-on press event last year, ‘The Secret World’ was heralded as “one of the most distinctive MMO’s of the last 10 years” (Videogamer) and MMORPG.com went on to predict that “The Secret World is going to take the world by storm and set new standards in excellence in gameplay.” This month, Funcom is doing another extensive round of hands-on sessions with select press, showcasing all new content and mechanics. New press previews are expected to hit later this week following the hands-on events held throughout February where journalists from over 50 outlets worldwide attended.

http://secretworld.com/news/the_secret_world_to_launch_june_19_2012

derFeef

A little bit bummed it's not April, but the more polish the better.
Some new previews should be up on friday, together with a video.

derFeef

YES! Sadly :(

Gameplay and interface / skill wheel seen in this preview video also:
http://www.gamesradar.com/secret-world-video-preview-illuminati-cults-talking-mummies/

The Mummy in a suit sounds hilarious ;)

Thats sweet:
The user interface is much improved since my last visit though and it’s now possible to build a deck of skills for a specific situation, and even to drag and drop that build on a team mate, allowing them to peruse it, learn from it and then use it if they have the requisite abilities.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/02/24/hands-on-the-secret-world-2/

FGMPR

Banned
A ton of hands-on previews were posted today:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/new_hands_on_previews_are_here

Impressions seem to be really positive. This game is soooo underrated right now. :/

I think you can blame Funcom's past failures for that. Their attitude in regards to post launch AoC left much to be desired to the degree that I think that many MMO gamers are wary with any product with their name on the box. I'm hoping that they've put those past mishaps behind them and have a solid launch along with a successful game, but I have my doubts.

edit: beaten

derFeef

I think you can blame Funcom's past failures for that. Their attitude in regards to post launch AoC left much to be desired to the degree that I think that many MMO gamers are wary with any product with their name on the box. I'm hoping that they've put those past mishaps behind them and have a solid launch along with a successful game, but I have my doubts.

edit: beaten

Wut, AoC is one of the best supported / changed MMO's now. I am still having fun playing it.
I am glad Funcom exists, as I am tired of copycat MMO's and fantasy settings. They do something different and enjoyable.

"The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - Only everything is hardcore"
Heh.

Einbroch

Banned
Wut, AoC is one of the best supported / changed MMO's now. I am still having fun playing it.
I am glad Funcom exists, as I am tired of copycat MMO's and fantasy settings. They do something different and enjoyable.

Then maybe I'll check it out a year after launch. Until then, though, a lot of MMO players will probably steer clear.

FGMPR

Banned

I'm not talking about post Gaute Godager, I'm talking about the first few months after release and all the bullshit that came with his direction. He got fired for a reason.

I probably should have made that more clear, to be fair.

derFeef

Then maybe I'll check it out a year after launch. Until then, though, a lot of MMO players will probably steer clear.
fair enough, it's up to Funcom to show us the goods.

I'm not talking about post Gaute Godager, I'm talking about the first few months after release and all the bullshit that came with his direction. He got fired for a reason.

I probably should have made that more clear, to be fair.

Well yeah, the company changed a lot with their new studios and all.

elcranky

Banned
It's a funcom MMO. People got burned by Anarchy and then again with Conan. It's no surprise that people are dismissing it.

Umm, AO was by far the best of the first wave MMOs even with the issues. Conan added lots of innovation to the genre. It just suffered from lack of content after the first 20 levels.

Ricker

I applied for the beta of this in August 2011 but have received no info,news or anything of the sort since then...maybe the overall interest for this will pick up when an actual beta starts but for now,they are not doing a good job promoting this MMO in my opinion.

derFeef

I applied for the beta of this in August 2011 but have received no info,news or anything of the sort since then...maybe the overall interest for this will pick up when an actual beta starts but for now,they are not doing a good job promoting this MMO in my opinion.

Beta has started, there were a few phases ... supposedly.

Agkel

I am glad funcom exists, as I am tired of copycat MMO's and fantasy settings. They do something different and enjoyable.

"The Illuminati are very achievement focused. It's like Xbox - Only everything is hardcore"
Heh.

WHAT?!?!
You have to be shitting me. If launch AoC was bad, post Craig AoC has been a nightmare. Ive been subbed to AoC since launch and just now my prem sub ended( I had bought all the year bonus offer until the white tiger one) Funcom has an incredible ability of creating amazingly beautiful and detailed, engaging worlds but thwir support us shit utter shit! They deserve the bad rep they have and it wont be a surprise when this game flops regardless of it is good or not.

Edit: phone typing ftw :/

Effect

A ton of hands-on previews were posted today:

http://www.thesecretworld.com/news/new_hands_on_previews_are_here

Impressions seem to be really positive. This game is soooo underrated right now. :/

As it should be I think. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed both Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. AO is one of the few MMOs I've played for a significant length of time (the others being EQ1, EQ2, DAoC, and WoW) but I was there for AO's launch and well it ended up being possible to return the game to stores because it was simply unplayable. It eventually ended being a great game but like Dark Age of Camelot after it they caused it's own downward spiral with decisions they made and not updating when they should have. Age of Conan was rough as well I remember once you left Tortage. However that is still one of the best opening areas in a MMO I've ever played. It also had it's own issues that were eventually worked out. This is the third time now and it could go either way.

The Secret World looks very interesting and unique compared to other MMOs out but not sure if I wanted to be burned by Funcom again by getting in early on another one of their MMOs. Also EA is in the picture now. A pure skill based system however is something I really want out of a MMO at this point. So it's starting to be hard not to preorder at this point since I've been rebitten by the mmo bug lately (something I'm sort of sad about to be honest).

Edit:

Funcom has uploaded their GDC 2012 presentation of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSUgKbKaWs

It's 35 minutes long.

derFeef

Aw man, that damn facebook game is so stupid, glad I did not enter it. I mean I have already aquired a lifetime sub but this was really poorly made. Facebook asked them to take it down and make some changes because of high demand.

The Secret World looks very interesting and unique compared to other MMOs out but not sure if I wanted to be burned by Funcom again by getting in early on another one of their MMOs.

As long as it doesn't have a bug that reformats your hdd, they'll have launched better than AO.

Effect

I am still impressed though that they were able to fix and recover from the situation Anarchy Online's launch left them in.

If I can get into the beta it might help me make my decision. Put in the pre-order at Amazon. Can always cancel in the end.

elcranky

Banned
As it should be I think. Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed both Anarchy Online and Age of Conan. AO is one of the few MMOs I've played for a significant length of time (the others being EQ1, EQ2, DAoC, and WoW) but I was there for AO's launch and well it ended up being possible to return the game to stores because it was simply unplayable. It eventually ended being a great game but like Dark Age of Camelot after it they caused it's own downward spiral with decisions they made and not updating when they should have. Age of Conan was rough as well I remember once you left Tortage. However that is still one of the best opening areas in a MMO I've ever played. It also had it's own issues that were eventually worked out. This is the third time now and it could go either way.

The Secret World looks very interesting and unique compared to other MMOs out but not sure if I wanted to be burned by Funcom again by getting in early on another one of their MMOs. Also EA is in the picture now. A pure skill based system however is something I really want out of a MMO at this point. So it's starting to be hard not to preorder at this point since I've been rebitten by the mmo bug lately (something I'm sort of sad about to be honest).

Edit:

Funcom has uploaded their GDC 2012 presentation of the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBSUgKbKaWs

It's 35 minutes long.

People are overly negative about AO launch. I played it at launch and it was tolerable. Tons of problems, but still playable and more fun than EQ at the time.

Effect

AO was fantastic, still my favourite MMO. Looking forward to the new engine, I will def. give it another shot.

I do hope that comes out at some point. Only reason I'm not playing that anymore. I couldn't take the outdated engine after a while when I tried to get back into it. They've been talking about a new engine for years though.

Zen

Banned
I'm kind of dissapointed that it seems to have reverted to more traditional WoW esque combat. Wasn't it originally suppose to be much more active with a reticule for guns and the like?

derFeef

I'm kind of dissapointed that it seems to have reverted to more traditional WoW esque combat. Wasn't it originally suppose to be much more active with a reticule for guns and the like?

Nope. The combat feels pretty different though if you play more. Kung-fu style magic, shotgun damages in a cone and so on. You can move during every cast/shot/slash though so you can be very active during combat.

edit: you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Ye-IyX656Qk#t=280s

Effect

Lol. Home now and this Funcom talk has actually got me updating AO. Still have it installed on my machine. Doubt I'll log back in but why not. Reinstalling AoC also. I picked up the Rise of the Godslayer expansion last year when I found it for about $5 on Amazon. Didn't want to download it at the time so was willing to pay for the disc. Was new so I did get a free month out of it when I made a new account. Curious as to how things are now that it is free to play.

As far as I know this was never anything other than target + ability combat, which is why I originally took no interest. Seeing it at PAX made me interested enough to check it out more, and it looks like it should be decent. They did steal the best part of Guild Wars (ok, they did change it enough that "steal" is probably too harsh), so there's that.

syko de4d

some1 plays this small browsergame "The Secret War" ? Every1 can get a Beta Invite with this game and many really nice items.
One Problem, u need a Facebook Account and many Friends, which play this Browser Game too.
I use a Fake Acc. and join a extra FB Group where thousend of players Add each other on the Friend list and get super easy access to the Items an the Beta Weekends ^^

Mr. Hyde

some1 plays this small browsergame "The Secret War" ? Every1 can get a Beta Invite with this game and many really nice items.
One Problem, u need a Facebook Account and many Friends, which play this Browser Game too.
I use a Fake Acc. and join a extra FB Group where thousend of players Add each other on the Friend list and get super easy access to the Items an the Beta Weekends ^^

How'd you do that?

syko de4d

How'd you do that?

register here (choose Templer):

http://secretwar.thesecretworld.com/

Link the "The secret War" account with ur Secret WOrld account (or make a new one) edit: U must have get an Email with a link to Link ur Accounts

Join this Facebook Group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/437983769551544/

Add 50++ people in some Minutes

Now u have 50++ Agents in the secret War, every Agent gives u 1 point per hour (if u send him to a country) and u only need 600 points for the Beta Access and u get on mass style Items (16 + exp Trank)

Easy Access to the Beta

Effect

Got my launcher and I'm downloading now. Still not sure if I'll get the Initiate Pack. Will see how things go this weekend. Which unfortunately I won't be able to get much playing in on Saturday as it's my sisters graduate school graduation. :) So latest I'll be able to get in will be that night. Though might be to tired. Leaving just that Sunday to play.

The M.O.B

Got my Invite.

Still undecided about this game, I hate subscriptions but it looks so good and different from most mmo's.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I really want to log in too. :\

I'll probably be playing mostly with goons (since they've all decided to play Illuminati). I look forward to seeing where GAF congregates.

u get access if u pre order or play the facebook game, how to get a easy beta access with the Facebookgame is discribe in my post above.

For pre order is Amazon a good way because u can cancel the pre order without costs.

Or you could have submitted your email a long time ago, as I did.

Midou

I am incredibly curious about impressions for this game, it seems to have come at an awkward time inbetween a lot of other MMOs, but I like the idea and the team.

Top Bottom