• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
don't even get me started why am i even awake right now

chunk3rvd

My boss is picking up a 16GB iPad and asked me if he has any options for external storage. I looked around but all I could find was some overpriced flash drive solution (32GB for $200) or the Kingston Wi-Drive. Are either of these options any good and if not, are there any decent alternatives out there?

MasLegio

Banned
I really do not understand why Apple has not implemented the ability to split screen between two apps as well as the option to view two tabs split on one screen in Safari on the new iPad. It would improve productivity for lots of people.

Any third party app that allows this? Webbrowser for split tab viewing or word processing app that allows me to write on one part of the screen and view a pdf or web-browser on the other part of the screen?

So I've started using my laptop in addition to my iPad. For the first few weeks I fooled myself into believing it could replace my laptop. While a great device and an improvement to my internet habits over all the iPad just can't be a primary device. Which saddens me.
The the iPad has a long way to go to replace my MacBook pro

MasLegio

Banned
My boss is picking up a 16GB iPad and asked me if he has any options for external storage. I looked around but all I could find was some overpriced flash drive solution (32GB for $200) or the Kingston Wi-Drive. Are either of these options any good and if not, are there any decent alternatives out there?
He could always use cloud storage but that demands connectivity which might not always be available if he travels. There was something about an external wireless hard drive on an episode of This week in ipad (TWIT network) but I do not remember what it was called.
He should go for the 64 gb iPad if he needs storage, although it might feel expensive the options are not much cheaper and will drain battery more and be more of a hassle to use. As usual with Apple products you pay more for the comfort of use than for the technology.

Cheebo

Banned

GoFlex makes wireless external hard-drives for iPads. I have a 500 GB one that I got for about $180. Works great. Just like any external hard drive for a computer. I have it filled with movies.

LevelNth

Banned
I'm kinda worried about my iPad, last night it kept dropping my wifi connection and wouldn't automatically reconnect to it after about 20 minutes, multiple times. I would have to manually reconnect to it myself, but then bam, 20 or so later it would drop again.

Read online this is a common problem so I'm not expecting problems if I have to exchange it, but I'm not sure when I'd be able to with how constrained supplies are.

I'm at work now so I'll have to see how it is tonight. I checked it this morning and while it had dropped again overnight, it auto reconnected and didn't drop for the 45 minutes I was at home.

Only other difference I can think of is my battery was between 9-11% last night, but then I charged it to full overnight.

Anyone else experience this?

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I'm kinda worried about my iPad, last night it kept dropping my wifi connection and wouldn't automatically reconnect to it after about 20 minutes, multiple times. I would have to manually reconnect to it myself, but then bam, 20 or so later it would drop again.

Read online this is a common problem so I'm not expecting problems if I have to exchange it, but I'm not sure when I'd be able to with how constrained supplies are.

I'm at work now so I'll have to see how it is tonight. I checked it this morning and while it had dropped again overnight, it auto reconnected and didn't drop for the 45 minutes I was at home.

Only other difference I can think of is my battery was between 9-11% last night, but then I charged it to full overnight.

Anyone else experience this?

I'd exchange it. Exchange stock is normally outside of regular stock so you shouldn't have much trouble getting a replacement unit.

Got a bigger tax return than I was expecting and am considering an iPad. GAF please push me over the fence. I would use it a leisure way and for travel purposes. Email, ereader, games, web.. Etc.

Solid app recommendations for regular stuff like news banking finance fitness cooking etc would help in this purchase.

Got a bigger tax return than I was expecting and am considering an iPad. GAF please push me over the fence. I would use it a leisure way and for travel purposes. Email, ereader, games, web.. Etc.

Solid app recommendations for regular stuff like news banking finance fitness cooking etc would help in this purchase.

You can find some cool stuff on the Best of iOS thread. Biggest advice I can give is to look at the Newsstand offerings; magazine subscriptions > apps IMO. Empire magazine is fantastic

SickBoy

So I've started using my laptop in addition to my iPad. For the first few weeks I fooled myself into believing it could replace my laptop. While a great device and an improvement to my internet habits over all the iPad just can't be a primary device. Which saddens me.

For me, the iPad will eventually become my new portable. Which is fine... the amount of "real" computing I do on the go is very limited. So long as I have access to webmail and a program I can write in, that pretty much covers my needs.

My current laptop is a first-gen MacBook and it's served me well all over the place, but I think when I've got the budget to upgrade, Priority 1 will be to get a new desktop machine.

I doubt there are a lot of people who could be satisfied with an iPad as their only "computer."

Enco

Books are glorious. The Kindle app is sexy as fuck (although the page turn animation is pretty much unusable).

Lots of great games and it's a brilliant way to read some news and do some light browsing.

LCfiner

regarding the trailers app. you can stream the trailers but I don't think you can download them, which might make a difference.

also, it's not available in every country, I don't think.

It absolutely cannot be your only computer. But as a second computer it's great and better than a laptop IMO.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've started the maddening process of moving my blog from blogger to tumblr. How is the iPad app (is there an iPad app) I know I can check it out, but I've never even used tumblr before so I dont really have much to judge it on.

So I've started the maddening process of moving my blog from blogger to tumblr. How is the iPad app (is there an iPad app) I know I can check it out, but I've never even used tumblr before so I dont really have much to judge it on.

Tumblr has no iPad app. The site renders find on the iPad. Hipster gifs and all

japtor

I really do not understand why Apple has not implemented the ability to split screen between two apps as well as the option to view two tabs split on one screen in Safari on the new iPad. It would improve productivity for lots of people.

Any third party app that allows this? Webbrowser for split tab viewing or word processing app that allows me to write on one part of the screen and view a pdf or web-browser on the other part of the screen?
Yeah that's something I've wanted (among many things) since using it early on when it first came out. The issues I could see are just requiring devs to design for another resolution* basically and just testing UI interactions so there's nothing funky/confusing/buggy for end users.

*Half the iPad res would also work for an iPad if they ever want to go that route, kill two birds with one stone!

I think there's jailbreak apps that allow multiple iPhone size apps on screen, no clue on multiple iPad apps though.

rezuth

I have heard good things about Tumblita.

SteveWD40

So, I am tossing about the idea of an iPad as a laptop replacement (I have a main latop / desktop that I will still use of course).

What I want to be able to do:

Browse the web (easily the strength of the iPad)

Game (boom, headshot, ipad can do with it's eyes shut)

Do some work...

That last one is where it falls down a little, see I run a small company and I ideally wanted a portable device to be a suitable backup should my main system die. All my data / CRM is hosted online so it's not really an issue on that front, but I am very familiar with Office and used to being able to store files and send multiple attachments in an email, that's the killer.

On the laptop front it seems netbooks have died a death and now the ultra-portables with good battery life are all over £800, a macbook air is exorbitantly expensive.

I am one of the heathens who lusts after a keyboard case as well, but I would probably just use the Apple Blutooth one with one of those Origami docks.

So, I am tossing about the idea of an iPad as a laptop replacement (I have a main latop / desktop that I will still use of course).

Do some work...

That last one is where it falls down a little, see I run a small company and I ideally wanted a portable device to be a suitable backup should my main system die. All my data / CRM is hosted online so it's not really an issue on that front, but I am very familiar with Office and used to being able to store files and send multiple attachments in an email, that's the killer.

On the laptop front it seems netbooks have died a death and now the ultra-portables with good battery life are all over £800, a macbook air is exorbitantly expensive.

I am one of the heathens who lusts after a keyboard case as well, but I would probably just use the Apple Blutooth one with one of those Origami docks.

Assuming the document is compatible with the apps on the iPad, the device is perfect for editing work but not creating [large] documents; not even Apple store reps will endorse that; the iPad is a primarily consumption device.

If you know a student who attends University, take them with you to an Apple store and you can get an Air for £760 or a Macbook Pro for a hundred pounds more.

dream

My experience is different from Meus'. I've written 3500 word pieces and created presentations from scratch using Pages, Keynote, and a keyboard, and it was generally pretty painless to do so.

Red

Just received an iPad 3 as a gift two days ago. It is fucking phenomenal, and I already like using it more than my laptop or PC for most general use. The screen is just awe-inspiring, and so easy on the eyes.

That said, I am looking to get either a dedicated Bluetooth keyboard or case with a built-in keyboard. I have big hands, but I can deal with small keyboards as long as there is some space between the keys. The Logitech ultra thin case looks great, but the warnings about a weak magnetic attachment are off-putting. The Brydge case looks interesting, but it's pretty damn expensive and I don't have much expendable cash right now. Any opinions from you guys? Cheaper alternatives that you are happy with?

I'm wondering if it might not be worth getting a cheaper case and a separate keyboard, but that sacrifices convenience (maybe even slaughters it).

I would also like to use the iPad as a digital portfolio. I was thinking something like the iLuv CEOFolio would be good, since I could carry business cards and physical copies of my resume right along with the iPad. But then, no physical keyboard. I'm going back and forth between which is more important to me. I hadn't even considered a keyboard case at first, but it didn't take long for me to realize how user friendly and enjoyable using an iPad is. I am really impressed by the whole experience. I think it's probably my favorite Apple product so far.

I guess I'm kind of rambling on at this point, but I'd like to hear opinions if anyone would be so kind as to share.

Also: any good word processing apps out there? Is is the wrong thread to ask? I'm using iA Writer right now, but love Ommwriter on OS X.

dream

I'm almost positive there's a version of OmmWriter for iPad that hasn't been updated in forever.

I use iA Writer and ByWord, personally.

edit: This might help you, Crunched.

MasLegio

Banned

Do some work...

A PC is more effective than an iPad on browsing the web with
games, pc still better but as with web browsing two completely different experiences and use scenarios between PC and iPad. Where iPad is the casual alternative, with focus on casual.

You should be able to use the iPad as an backup but only for a short time without going mental due to the iPads "simplicity" (i.e. lack of proper functionality). Storage would be no problem if you have connectivity to cloud services but the mail program is shit for handling attachements. It is cumbersome and you cannot add attachements from the mail app.

Vyer

Do some work...

Agree with all your points, web browsing is great and gaming - though that depends on what you want to play.

Wish that Office would hurry up and get released, though as dream said maybe Pages would get the job done.

dream

Really, I think Pages is good enough to make me think twice about buying Word for iOS. You can save your docs as PDFs or .docx and iCloud makes it easy enough to import and export documents -- just log on to icloud.com and upload/download whatever you need.

Enco

Really, I think Pages is good enough to make me think twice about buying Word for iOS. You can save your docs as PDFs or .docx and iCloud makes it easy enough to import and export documents -- just log on to icloud.com and upload/download whatever you need.
If it got Dropbox syncing it would be brilliant. I wish.

dream

If it got Dropbox syncing it would be brilliant. I wish.

Yeah, I agree and it sucks that it will never happen.

That said, you can kind of sync via Dropbox in a really kludgey way. I export my docs on my PC and save them to my Dropbox folder, then pull them back into Pages using the iOS Dropbox app. It sucks having to do it this way, but it works.

Balb

Is there any way to change the keyboard settings on the iPad to make it work like the iPhone keyboard? With the iPhone you can slide your finger and hit any key whereas on the iPad once you touch a key you pretty much have to press it.

Don't know if I'm explaining it well but yeah.

plc268

Just curious... To those that hate typing on the iPad, you do know you can split the on screen keyboard, right?

iEKfW.jpg

Just take your thumbs, put them in the middl of the keyboard and slide out. Makes the on screen keyboard much easier to use when holding the iPad.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Now that I'm rocking the iPad as my only computer that I personally own and will be using, I ran out and picked up the official Apple Wireless Keyboard.

I love how the random keys on here actually work like brightness and volume and playback controls. Little side benefit. Keyboard is portable enough to fit in my iPad bag as well which is a plus.

While I'm actually pretty boss at typing on the software keyboard, it just can't hold a torch to a proper keyboard and unfortunately I have a bad habit of being long-winded with my posts. Also it's a lot more natural to have a keyboard on my lap instead of the ipad and trying to get it in some good position while I type.

May investigate one of those Logitech Ultrathin case things, but I don't think I like the idea of having a "smaller than normal" keyboard as my main input.

Liking the wireless keyboard thus far, will need to see reasonable it is to use on the go, plan on packing it in my bag daily and bringing it to work.

Just curious... To those that hate typing on the iPad, you do know you can split the on screen keyboard, right?

Just take your thumbs, put them in the middl of the keyboard and slide out. Makes the on screen keyboard much easier to use when holding the iPad.
I swear, there's probably a shitton of things the iPad and apps can do that I'll never learn about.

DarkMehm

I want to buy the new iPad, but have a question. What happens when a manga page of roughly 1200*800 pixels gets on the much higher resolution screen of the new iPad? Does it look bad because it scales up? An iPad 2 would suffice too if it does look better on it.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
That's very interesting, rubyx. Sort of want.
"Sort of want" is probably the right level of enthusiasm :p

I don't think this is earth shattering or anything, but I do think SOME kind of keyboard is a necessity if the iPad is literaly the only computing device you plan to use day to day. Not because you can't use the software keyboard...but because I can't type long posts on GAF as quickly as I'd like without one.

This is basically a "type on GAF more" tool.

Pretty sure this was given spotlight at the reveal of the second iPad.

JaseMath

Got my Switcheasy Canvas case in today but the sleep/wake function is surprise: not working.

I just contacted them and they're sending me a new one. Gotta love that customer service of theirs.

It's really nice though. And the canvas itself feels wax-coated.

9ef04aa2.jpg
Can anyone on GAF vouch for this case? It looks great and I've read some great things, but some not so great as well and my personal experience with Switch Easy has been lukewarm. Any user feedback would be great. :)

The screen and the colors on the new iPad look clear and crisp, and it really is quite amazing. If I was in the market for one, I would probably get one without hesitation granted if I had the money.

I sold my laptop to get the iPad gen3 and I have no regrets. I still use my main desktop computer the most, but for the things that I used my laptop for the iPad works fine and there are some things such as eBooks that are about 100 times better on an iPad.

So far the only thing I really miss about the laptop was the ease of streaming media from another computer, I have tried airplay and streamtome and neither one seem to be able to be able to play HD content without having to buffer every couple minutes even on my own internal network where speed shouldn't be an issue.

Overall I'm happy with my decision though

ckohler

I just got the new iPad today and I've been playing with it. This is my first real mobile computer ever (I have never needed a laptop and still don't). It's essentially a big gadget for me to play with. So far I'm really enjoying it. The dictation really makes posting on NeoGAF a breeze! I don't really see myself carrying it around places, though. It's not quite as convenient as my iPhone which easily fits in my pocket. Still, it's great for browsing NeoGAF and for viewing YouTube videos while sitting on my couch. I find myself watching a lot of streaming video on it especially. Anyway, I'm going to give it a couple of weeks to see if I feel it's really worth owning. Don't get me wrong, it's amazing. I'm just not sure if it's $500 amazing. So far, I think it may be.

Top Bottom