• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3DS has now surpassed PS2 sales in Japan (Media Create)

Busaiku

Also, forgot to point it out, but 3DS has now outsold the PS2 according to Media Create:

- Nintendo 3DS: 21 913 661
- PlayStation 2: 21 833 216
Quoting L~A, but it deserves its own thread.

It is now the 3rd best selling system in Japan, behind Gameboy and DS.
Of course both of those are over 32 million, so it's not gonna come close.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Holy crap :eek:

The 3DS has come such a long way from its failed launch. Nowadays it's probably the best platform available, considering the sheer breadth of its library (including DS and Virtual Console).

Chindogg

I know 3DS had a bit of a rough start, but this kind of turnaround is absolutely unprecedented and deserves all the praise that it (should) get.

Not too unprecedented. See: PS3.

PS3 went from wiping all of the profits out from PSX and PS2 to still trailing in 3rd by a hefty margin. I wouldn't exactly call that a success.

random25

Nice milestone to reach.

Taking the third seat after the lukewarm launch and the mobile gaming explosion is a really great achievement, even if it's so far off of its older brothers.

random25

What's the highest selling platform in the history of Japan? How do different platforms rank?

DS. I believe it's about 33 million there.

Second is Gameboy. Someone pointed out that it's the sales of combined Gameboy systems though.

18-Volt

Power of the big four: Pokémon, Monster Hunter, Yokai Watch and Dragon Quest.

It would have beaten PS2 in other regions too if PS2 didn't have big guns like GTA and Gran Turismo.

Celine

As expected.
3DS sales were very good in Japan but disappointing abroad which is the main reason why it's going to fall short of both PSP and GBA worldwide by roughly 10 million units.

The DS sales will probably never be touched ever again. I hope I'm wrong though.
Considering the current state of the japanese market, I'm more wondering if any future system can achieve 20M (I hope so otherwise the market is fucked).

MLH

But I just read an article that Nintendo is having a sad struggle to survive... Funnily enough it doesn't once mention the 3DS...

Instro

The DS sales will probably never be touched ever again. I hope I'm wrong though.

Its particularly crazy when you consider how much the PSP sold at the same time. Handheld market cratered pretty badly. Hopefully it doesnt get any worse.

Celine

What are the global PSP numbers? PSP sold a lot even after Vita released. Switch releasing isn't the end of 3DS, especially in Japan.
As for the last known official shipment figure (march 2012): 76.3M.
But I believe it shipped a few more millions afterwards.

Total software sold as March 2012: 330.2M.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
shame it sold 2/3rds of what the DS did there

still, great system.

DS was the better system with a bigger impact on the market - also pre-smartphone invasion. All things considered 3DS did really well...especially after its launch. Iwata was right to drop the price as soon as he did.

Scrawnton

I knew the 3DS was popular in Japan but not to that extent. Congrats Nintendo. Here's hoping that the Switch can achieve similar numbers.
Well it obviously won't because it's not portable enough

/s

Calling doom on this one. Won't get third party games, Nintendo alone can't carry a console and console games on the go isn't an appealing enough gimmick.

I could see 3DS having a long tale life if Nintendo stops caring about firmware and it gets fully open to pirates. Isn't that more or less what happened with PSP?

I know 3DS had a bit of a rough start, but this kind of turnaround is absolutely unprecedented and deserves all the praise that it (should) get.

PS3 went from wiping all of the profits out from PSX and PS2 to still trailing in 3rd by a hefty margin. I wouldn't exactly call that a success.

You do know the PS3 eventually took over (or at least tied) with the 360 in worldwide sales right? The PS3 was a success and it ultimately made Sony money. It had a terrible launch but the 180 it did by the end of its lifespan was extraordinary.

IIRC PS3 ended up passing the 360 by the time last gen ended. I'd consider that quite the comeback.

kswiston

What are the global PSP numbers? PSP sold a lot even after Vita released. Switch releasing isn't the end of 3DS, especially in Japan.

"Especially Japan" is actually the opposite of reality. Japan drops consoles quick. Look at DS post 3DS launch in Japan vs elsewhere.

Software will sell for awhile, but I expect 2017 to be way down from 2016.

It's also Japan only.

I know that...I am still surprised that anything that wasn't the regular DS could outsell PS2 in Japan. I was thinking that even though that gen was where the console downturn supposedly began, the PS2 still dominated all devices of any kind there.

Scrawnton

"Especially Japan" is actually the opposite of reality. Japan drops consoles quick. Look at DS post 3DS launch in Japan vs elsewhere.

Wasn't PSP outselling vita for months or years after vita was released?

Also, 3DS plays DS games. There's no reason wasting money on a product if the next gen version plays all the old games plus the new. Switch does not play 3DS games.

random25

Considering the current state of the japanese market, I'm more wondering if any future system can achieve 20M (I hope so otherwise the market is fucked).

20M on future systems is very much achievable, so long as the right games come to that system, and of course it should be portable. It's going to be tough, but I'm not eliminating that possibility even if the Japanese dedicated gaming market is in bad shape.

Oregano

People often forget this when talking about the 3DS.

The weird x factor in the West for 3DS is that it's having a weird mini revival.

Really impressive numbers. The only reason that it won't match PSP or GBA worldwide numbers are because it didn't thrive in NA or Europe. But Japan sure carried its weight and then some for sales.

random25

People often forget this when talking about the 3DS.

The weird x factor in the West for 3DS is that it's having a weird mini revival.

It won't really change much the fate of the 3DS on the West. But maybe that short surge of momentum carries over to the Switch.

LordRaptor

How Nintendo handled the 3DS is one of the reasons I'm fairly bullish on Switch doing quite well. Because they were fucking ruthless about it.

Scheduling their big guns specifically to fuck up the Vita launch.
Aggressive price cuts that put them into a loss for, what, the first time in decades?, and a token "heres some old ROMs" as a 'basically costs us nothing' early adopter apology.
Targetted acquisition of key franchises like Monster Hunter.

I mean, that's what Nintendo not fucking around to make sure fetch happens looks like.

Scrawnton

How Nintendo handled the 3DS is one of the reasons I'm fairly bullish on Switch doing quite well. Because they were fucking ruthless about it.

Scheduling their big guns specifically to fuck up the Vita launch.
Aggressive price cuts that put them into a loss for, what, the first time in decades?, and a token "heres some old ROMs" as a 'basically costs us nothing' early adopter apology.
Targetted acquisition of key franchises like Monster Hunter.

I mean, that's what Nintendo not fucking around to make sure fetch happens looks like.

I still think the high initial 3DS cost was a clever trick to get Sony to price Vita the way they did. When 3DS was still $250 and Sony announced at E3 the Vita would be $250 I thought 3DS was done for and Vita was gonna eat Nintendos lunch. Two months later Nintendo dropped the price by $70 and then proceeded to eat Sony's lunch. It was fascinating.

Hoping the switch can replicate the 3ds's success. I know western 3rd parties aren't comming back to Nintendo, but my hope is that japanese devs can flourish on the system, like they did with the 3ds.

Eolz

Congrats 3DS!
It's a shame how it did in the west, it's a great handheld with a fantastic library (+DS BC!).

LordRaptor

I still think the high initial 3DS cost was a clever trick to get Sony to price Vita the way they did.

I think it was more that they probably underpriced the Wii in retrospect (as scalpers across the planet will attest), and figured they could go higher with the 3DS markup after its fairly well received announcement.

I disagree. Maybe in the case of the ds/3ds but Japan doesn't let consoles die easily. PS2 was selling extremely well, well into the PS3 lifetime and the same thing is happening with the ps4. It's why so many japanese games are being released for both the PS3 and PS4 to this day.

Top Bottom