• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Protect Me Knight (sequel) announced for 3DS (Sept./Japan)

All details via @AncientGames_JP.

This is a full sequel to the Xbox Indie Game (and my personal favorite local multiplayer game ever). Designed by Ancient with Yuzo Koshiro music.

Trailer for 360 version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTgGBimNHSM

The game will be released on 3DS eShop in Japan in September and will have four-player local co-op. The price will be "about twice" the Xbox 360 version (my guess is ~¥800) but there is "about ten times" as much content.

So far, two new characters are shown, an older knight on a toy horse and an archer (see thier Twitter header).

They don't know about an international release yet, but please tweet them to let you know you want it!!

DEFEAT F$%KIN' GOBLINS!

UDPATE #1

They are hoping to release overseas once they overcome some hurdles (most likely localization and publishing related).

Here's their new Twitter header image, with an illustration of all the characters.

oTEIVtG.jpg

gogogow

First time I heard about this game. It's made by Ancient, which was founded by Yuzo Koshiro's mother in 1990. Yuzo's sister works there too as a designer. How cool is that?

Protect Me Knight will be a perfect handheld game!
For single-player, yeah, it will be. I'm taking a wild guess that the expanded content will be focused on providing a bigger single-player experience, given the platform.

On the other hand, I think the multiplayer would work better on the TV, although I have enough friends with 3DSes to give the new version the rounds, so maybe my opinion on that will change.

As I was typing that, I was thinking of a Wii U version that is five players and one player controls some of the monster output on the Game Pad.

That Ninja is amazing.
Amazon is the true star. <3

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Of all the systems, why the 3D~ *ahem* 10x the content sounds quite interesting, lol. But I enjoyed the game as a local couch-co-op experience, and I don't currently have the means to do that with 3DS :(

Can't wait to see more of it anyway, however. I really loved the game, and even got to take it to a friends for use on his 360 just by travelling with my account on a memory stick. The only Indie on the system I can clearly say I beat 4+ times, because it was so fun to go through with new characters and builds.

Game was just too good to totally be forgotten, and I really like that oldschool-style Twitter Header they have up there. Not many games get the entire retro aesthetic as right as this game. (Loved the old boxart for the Indies release, too.)

That ninja will have a major wardrobe malfunction pretty soon I think.

Anyways, have the first game on XBLIG, will buy if it has wireless/internet multiplayer on 3DS. Also if they decide to localize it I guess.

I got a reply from Ancient on their international release plans.

They are hoping to release overseas, but there are some hurdles to overcome (which I'm guessing would be finding a partner to publish, support, etc.).

It definitely sounds like it's in their plans though, so I think it's just a matter of time.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Of all the systems, why the 3D~ *ahem* 10x the content sounds quite interesting, lol. But I enjoyed the game as a local couch-co-op experience, and I don't currently have the means to do that with 3DS :(

Can't wait to see more of it anyway, however. I really loved the game, and even got to take it to a friends for use on his 360 just by travelling with my account on a memory stick. The only Indie on the system I can clearly say I beat 4+ times, because it was so fun to go through with new characters and builds.

Game was just too good to totally be forgotten, and I really like that oldschool-style Twitter Header they have up there. Not many games get the entire retro aesthetic as right as this game. (Loved the old boxart for the Indies release, too.)

It's the only indie game on the 360 I ever liked. If you want I can move in with my 3 3DS. Will be four if they make a Super Smash Bros limited edition.

takoyaki

Great that the existence of the game and the platform are finally confirmed. Ancient's twitter account has been a real tease for the last month or so ;)

I'm shocked Ancient even still exists!

They made Sonic 1 8-bit and Amazing Island on GC with Hitmaker (game is vastly underrated, don't believe the poor reviews).

Great that the existence of the game and the platform are finally confirmed. Ancient's twitter account has been a real tease for the last month or so ;)
Thanks again for the your help in the first thread.

Their "to everyone" tweets are still rather vague (only discussed release date and rating), most of the details in the OP I actually pulled from their replies to people.

hoggert

HOLY SHIT WHAT One of the two reasons I regret selling my 360. The other was Cave games, but HOLY SHIT WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

sörine;124150790 said:
Welp Shovel Knight, you had a good run as my GOTY.

So hyped for this.
Haha, I'm in the same boat.

And they're both designed after NES games. I'm such a mark. :-\

That ninja will have a major wardrobe malfunction pretty soon I think.

Anyways, have the first game on XBLIG, will buy if it has wireless/internet multiplayer on 3DS. Also if they decide to localize it I guess.
Wireless multiplayer is in, internet is most likely not (educated guess on that point).

I will send a tweet their direction asking if it has "Download Play," that would be something.

takoyaki

Thanks again for the your help in the first thread.

Their "to everyone" tweets are still rather vague (only discussed release date and rating), most of the details in the OP I actually pulled from their replies to people.

Thank you for making both threads, I never would have found out about the game without them. Between the vague tweets and the confirmation via an unreleased book, you've done a great job of making sense of it all.

No major updates today, but one reply (in English!) on their Twitter says that one of the hurdles for an overseas release is that they need a translator and, get this, they apparently got some flak (was "laughed out" in their words) because of the "Engrish" translations of the original game, which I always though was intentional and oozing of perfection for the type of game they made.

bon

No major updates today, but one reply (in English!) on their Twitter says that one of the hurdles for an overseas release is that they need a translator and, get this, they apparently got some flak (was "laughed out" in their words) because of the "Engrish" translations of the original game, which I always though was intentional and oozing of perfection for the type of game they made.

Yeah, I always thought the awkward translation suited the retro style.

Wireless multiplayer is in, internet is most likely not (educated guess on that point).

I will send a tweet their direction asking if it has "Download Play," that would be something.

Download play would probably murder their sales lol...but I'll buy if either wireless or internet play is in for sure.

But that was part of the charm...I thought they really nailed it. It's not like there was all that much english text in the game either.

Ancient hasn't provided any new details in the last few days, however it looks as if one of translators for Hyrule Historia reached out to them in regards to needing a translator and they responded with interest and directed to continue communication via eMail (they also noted that no work has been started on an overseas version, so their communication may be slow).

Maybe not completely worthy of a bump, but I'm fiending for info on this game, so even little drips are nice.

Top Bottom