• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Right, but it's the scale of this. I never imagined that all the worlds within the same system would rotate their planets and use the same main light source as the largest key light.

I expected it would be like Horizon with just a lightsource in the skybox and that would be it.

But.. how the hell can this light source travel all the way to the planet. I guess that's what I don't understand. If they turn the sun off in a solar system, all planet would be darkened like they would if our sun evaporated in the real world?

I assumed that you'd go to a planet and each planet would have its own unique skybox with its own unique sun.

I don't know why this is hard to believe, other space games already do it.

https://youtu.be/7CBVqqRAwXs

Yeah this one is curious as to how they will handle it. There was one part of the most recent AtV where they showed this situation off, I think it was done primarily by probe capture and not a large area light like the sun (check out the moonlight glow from Crusader here on the planetoid surface).
vlcsnap-2017-05-23-11jvxjl.png

The thing about moonlight glow though is it is stark enough at times to cause visible shadowing... I am curious how they could manage that... if at all. The picture above iwth the bounced light glow from Crusader (unless I am mistaking it for some other bounce light in the atmsophere) does not have any at all.

It already looks super fantastic.
https://fat.gfycat.com/ContentExcellentCommabutterfly.webm
That makes me wonder a bit if the PlanetEd TOD settings change the planets orbit and tilt when you adjust sun settings - the inverse of what normal level editors do.

That picture of Crusader is beautiful. Dumb question, is rotation and orbiting confirmed for 3.0?

Zabojnik

That picture of Crusader is beautiful. Dumb question, is rotation and orbiting confirmed for 3.0?

I seem to remember one of the Twitch / YT Star Citizen in-the-know lads saying rotation is unlikely to be in 3.0, but I might be remembering wrong. Or plans might've changed.

KKRT00

I seem to remember one of the Twitch / YT Star Citizen in-the-know lads saying rotation is unlikely to be in 3.0, but I might be remembering wrong. Or plans might've changed.

Its orbiting more unlikely, because they need rotation for day night cycle.

Zalusithix

If you check the schedule, planet rotation is most likely not going to be in 3.0.

Unless I'm wrong, it's one of the things holding back planets.

Not sure what you're referencing?
ALREADY COMPLETE IN THE 3.0.0 BRANCH:
Set random rotation and offset caps on planet editor
Unless they've only completed a way to set a planet's rotation without any way to actually get visual feedback in game, I assume the support for the rotation itself is there.

Not sure what you're referencing?

Unless they've only completed a way to set a planet's rotation without any way to actually get visual feedback in game, I assume the support for the rotation itself is there.

Not only that

Already complete in the 3.0.0 branch:
Planetary Physics Grid to support orbiting and rotating planets
Solar System Editor

A tool that will layout entire solar system with their astral objects (sun, planets moons) as well as space stations, etc.

I'm so ready for 3.0. I've not jumped back on in a long time and despite being occasionally tempted to just to see the new ships, I feel like the payoff is going to be bigger to wait it out and run into the new ships myself.

Are they planning anything for around E3 or is Gamescom the more likely candidate?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I'm so ready for 3.0. I've not jumped back on in a long time and despite being occasionally tempted to just to see the new ships, I feel like the payoff is going to be bigger to wait it out and run into the new ships myself.

Are they planning anything for around E3 or is Gamescom the more likely candidate?

Gamescom is more likely. They've announced nothing for E3, and they typically don't do anything for E3, but they always do something big for Gamescom.

3.0 should be out before Gamescom, though.

Gamescom is more likely. They've announced nothing for E3, and they typically don't do anything for E3, but they always do something big for Gamescom.

3.0 should be out before Gamescom, though.

Really? Hopefully get a summer release or something then. That would be really cool actually since it means the stream will either be the next steps for the PU or S42.

Hopefully both.

Man, I get so sad after the Frankfurt updates because we have to wait another month to hear from them again. Brian Chambers is one of the few people on the project that keeps me believing

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That video broadcasting system is a cool sounding thing. The stuff they're doing to shed a little light while on the dark side of a planet or moon is really interesting, too; I wouldn't have thought of that being a problem.

The Frankfurt team really is making this game special.

iHaunter

Its still a waste of Sneak Peak.
And there is somebody in CIG in community department that likes shots like this...

---

I know, complaint was targeted ad CIG, not at you :)
I do not shoot messengers :p

I think they just don't want to give much away.

It's been delayed so long, they want it to be fresher when it comes out, I can only assume.

iHaunter

x-post from /r/starcitizen

Why doesn't Neogaf support video gif links yet? :)

*Bad Quality* New Nebula:

hqX0Xnn.gif

New Melee Take-Downs:

RadiantClearcutFairybluebird.gif

Hull C:

BowedDisguisedBadger.gif

Levski:

CarelessTanConey.gif

New Mobias in 3.0:

tt1arEL.jpg

New Ship Weapon - Max Ox Repeater:
hkieKLg.png

Zabojnik

I know instancing in online games is nothing new, but is there a game that uses it in a complex and nuanced way that's comparable to what CIG are planning? Because it sounds great in theory, but when you think of all the variables ... it could end up being quite the proverbial wrench in the works as far as the scale of gameplay is concerned.

iHaunter

I know instancing in online games is nothing new, but is there a game that uses it in a complex and nuanced way that's comparable to what CIG are planning? Because it sounds great in theory, but when you think of all the variables ... it could end up being quite the proverbial wrench in the works as far as the scale of gameplay is concerned.

The crux of this entire game is the advanced network they're setting up.

It'll make or break SC.

Broken Caterpillar on Daymar:

OldEagerAsianelephant.gif

Retro Terminal:

BoringShoddyBactrian.gif

Zabojnik

Someone make a gif from the bit with the sound guy, ship firing guns at planet surface.

Man, the possibilities of ground to air combat. I wonder if they're already working on portable anti-ship weapons. Let's do this, CIG.

maxresdefault.jpg

Zalusithix

I still chuckle at the "4400mA" labels. Assuming that's not supposed to be mAh (which is even more silly - slightly more energy than your average smartphone's battery), at 4.4 amps you'd need so much voltage to get any power that the gun would be shorting / arcing without the armature.

The damaging power of man-pads wouldn't make sense in the game IMO. You'd have carry-able weapons that could bring down a space ship in 1 hit, then why wouldn't every ship just be a collection of man-pads strapped to the hull.

I still chuckle at the "4400mA" labels. Assuming that's not supposed to be mAh (which is even more silly - slightly more energy than your average smartphone's battery), at 4.4 amps you'd need so much voltage to get any power that the gun would be shorting / arcing without the armature.

I think they are talking about 4.4 amps when ever you shot the weapon. It is a portable rail weapon.

Zalusithix

I think they are talking about 4.4 amps when ever you shot the weapon. It is a portable rail weapon.

Hence my comment. 4.4 amps is so low that it wouldn't accomplish anything without voltage so high that the thing would ionize the air between the rails and short itself out without regards to the armature - damaging itself and wasting energy in the process. The goal is a rail gun, not a shoulder mounted Jacob's ladder to dazzle the enemy with a light show. I mean it could theoretically work in the vacuum of space without arcing, but I doubt CIG is going to limit it to such a role.

Daedardus

It's best not to overthink it, because it's hard to find a plausible explanation for such low current. Maybe it's the charging current of the battery? It would take days to charge though. My only other possible bet is that they are using a new SI-system and redefined the ampere.

It is cool how to see the graphics team in the UK is also focusing on subtle physical correctness. CryEngine since the move to PBS has had a problem with long grazing angle specularity on diffuse surfaces (iirc, though it was only applicable to the terrain rendering?), and it is nice to see they corrected that. It was always pretty easy to see how overly specular / monotonal such surfaces looked planetside.

Also, how about them GPU particles?

Particle volumes?

KKRT00

I'm pretty sure that Chris after watching Anthem will delay S42 due to wanting to match its fidelity... I would not even blame him.
How the fuck that game looks that good, unbelievable.
I would love if SC/S42 ever approached this fidelity.

Zabojnik

I'm pretty sure that Chris after watching Anthem will delay S42 due to wanting to match its fidelity... I would not even blame him.
How the fuck that game looks that good, unbelievable.
I would love if SC/S42 would ever approach this fidelity.

tenor.gif

Both are Fall 2018 titles and likely to get delayed, so I guess we shall see.

Top Bottom