• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UN report: South Sudan allowed soldiers to rape civilians in civil war

Status
Not open for further replies.

Walpurgis

Banned
UN report: South Sudan allowed soldiers to rape civilians in civil war

[URL="http://d34elvfuwuckt2.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2014/04/Bentiu.jpg"]Here's a gruesome photo of bodies being collected by a bulldozer. It's not very bloody/detailed though.

[/URL]
The Guardian said:
The South Sudanese government has conducted a “scorched earth policy” against civilians caught up in the country’s civil war, allowing its soldiers and allied militias to rape women in lieu of wages, torture and murder suspected opponents and deliberately displace as many people as possible, according to a United Nations report.

The blunt and harrowing document, published on Friday by the Office of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR), comes six months after accounts emerged revealing the systematic abduction and abuse of thousands of women and girls during the conflict.

The report laid bare the scale of the atrocities committed by both sides since the war broke out in December 2013 and warned that many of those may amount to war crimes or crimes against humanity. Most of the civilian casualties, it added, had been the result of deliberately targeted attacks rather than combat operations.

While the report found that all sides had committed “serious violations and abuses”, it was unequivocal in asserting that “the government appears to be responsible for the gross and systematic human rights violations”.

From April to September last year, the UN recorded more than 1,300 reports of rape in Unity state alone, an oil-rich area in the north of the country that has seen some of the worst violence of the conflict. In 2014, opposition forces harried towns in the area, turning churches, mosques and hospitals into “veritable traps for civilians”, the UN report said.

Although those forces scattered in 2015 in the face of an offensive waged by government troops in the Sudan People’s Liberation Army (SPLA), civilians were once again deliberately targeted.

The report chronicled how those suspected of supporting the opposition – including children and disabled people – were murdered by being burned alive, suffocated in shipping containers, shot, cut to pieces or hanged from trees.

One woman recounted being raped by five soldiers in front of her children; another was tied to a tree and forced to watch 10 soldiers rape her 15-year-old daughter.

“If you looked young or good-looking, about 10 men would rape the woman; the older women were raped by about seven to nine men,” one witness explained.

The report noted that the prevalence of rape suggested that its use had become “an acceptable practice by SPLA soldiers and affiliated armed militias”. Its assessment team was told that youth militias who carry out attacks with the SPLA had an agreement – “do what you can and take what you can”.

The report added: “Most of the youth therefore also raided cattle, stole personal property, raped and abducted women and girls as a form of payment.”

The UN high commissioner for human rights, Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, said that while South Sudan was “one of the most horrendous human rights situations in the world”, the situation was struggling to attract international attention.

“The scale and types of sexual violence – primarily by government SPLA forces and affiliated militia – are described in searing, devastating detail, as is the almost casual, yet calculated, attitude of those slaughtering civilians and destroying property and livelihoods,” said Zeid. “However, the quantity of rapes and gang-rapes described in the report must only be a snapshot of the real total.”

The Guardian said:
South Sudan, the world’s youngest country, has been consumed by conflict since December 2013, when President Salva Kiir accused his former vice-president, Riek Machar, of plotting a coup. The fighting quickly tore the country apart along sectarian lines, pitting supporters of Kiir, an ethnic Dinka, against those backing Machar, an ethnic Nuer.
Two years of war are estimated to have killed at least 50,000 people, displaced a further 2.2 million, as well as pushing parts of South Sudan to the brink of famine and decimating an already weak economy.

This is absolutely horrifying. I can't believe I've never heard of this. According to Wikipedia, 100,000 people have already been killed. I think it's died down now but it's hard to find up to date info. I guess there's not much to talk about but I just thought I'd share it.

There could be actually close to 300 000 people killed in that conflict. I was waiting to see when it would pop here on Gaf.

Valhelm

contribute something
This is not the way to resist oppression. I'm deeply disappointed in the South Sudanese government, especially given how it has tried so hard to appear more moral than its counterpart in the North.

Walpurgis

Banned
There's also another story of government soldiers dragging 60 men and boys into shipping containers to suffocate them. This wasn't too long ago (October) and took place inside a freaking church.

The Guardian said:
“Witnesses described hearing the detainees crying and screaming in distress and banging on the walls of the shipping container, which they said had no windows or other form of ventilation,” the report said.
[...] Amnesty said one witness saw troops open the container, remove four corpses and then, “close the container again on the remaining detainees who were still alive inside”.

The earlier JMEC report said that those found alive were then killed, and that the only survivor was an eight-year-old boy.
A stark reminder of what we are capable of doing to each other.

Walpurgis

Banned
Here is the current military situation from Wikipedia.
800px-Southern_Sudan_Civil_War.svg.png

Pink is the government of South Sudan (Dinka ethnicity)
Green are the rebels (Nuere ethnicity)
Blue is Sudan (the country to the north)

If one of these sides wins, I'm afraid a systematic genocide may be carried out. Dinka outnumber Nuere 5 to 1 and they have the government so...

This is not the way to resist oppression. I'm deeply disappointed in the South Sudanese government, especially given how it has tried so hard to appear more moral than its counterpart in the North.

Well, this is ultimately the end result of the world doing nothing to stop the North's genocide against Christians in the south in the first place. It was inevitable the dog was going to bite back no holds barred.

Mesousa

Banned
I remember when people were going on and on about how the North was the cause of all the issues, and how everybody was happy when the south became their own country.

This is vindication for Khartoum.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Well, this is ultimately the end result of the world doing nothing to stop the North's genocide against Christians in the south in the first place. It was inevitable the dog was going to bite back no holds barred.

But the South isn't fighting the North though, they're fighting themselves.

Nope. In that case every single major act of barbarity is pretty much justified, including virtually every single act of terrorism. I don't accept this rationalization, certainly not for these barbaric acts. I would hope no one would justify such actions.

UN has now said multiple times the South, displays the most barbarism of all in Africa. Forced cannibalism of parents.

Interesting the media has ignored this murderous raping monster they have created. I guess as long as the side they like is committing all violence, its all good.

Mesousa

Banned

This is the result of the south acting like savages. The countries are split you can't blame this on the North.

Valhelm

contribute something
But the South isn't fighting the North though, they're fighting themselves.

You're right, my mistake. I thought the civil war was referring to the North/South conflict that led to the creation of South Sudan, not the more recent ethnic conflict.

Walpurgis

Banned
You're right, my mistake. I thought the civil war was referring to the North/South conflict that led to the creation of South Sudan, not the more recent ethnic conflict.

That appears to be ongoing as well. Here is a map of Sudan.
684px-Sudanese_Internal_Conflict.svg.png

Pink is government of Sudan
Grey is the group that committed genocide in Darfur (their leader was actually appointed a high position in government but defected to form his own state 2 years ago...).
Yellow are rebels that want secular government and equality

With so many different ethnic groups and religions, I suppose this outcome shouldn't be too surprising. It will have to stop eventually though I don't know what will do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom