• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XENOGEARS |OT| of Standing Tall and Shaking the Heavens

Edgeward

B.K. said:
Babel Tower wasn't built. It's a huge piece of the Eldridge that landed like that when the ship was destroyed.

Eeer, my bad. I never actually remembered much on the details of Babel other it being a dungeon.

tearsofash said:
I hope everyone remembers to
check Citan's garden

FFFFFFFFFFF, I never knew this. D=

Max said:
how well do ps1 games look on 55" hdtv's?
Well my tv is a 55inch Sharp tv. I think they look ok. I mean about as much as you think they would. A bit muddy and not very sharp. I honestly would play them on an old crt if available.

One of my fav RPGs. I started playing it last night on psn I am about 2hours in now. I just like the music in this game so much.

Spwn

Starting my playthrough today. I have the original copy of Xenogears at my childhood home, but haven't played it in many years. It was one of the three games I bought when I went for a two week vacation to US in 2001 and I was a big Square fanboy back then. The other two games were Chrono Cross and Threads of Fate. Great memories.

I never actually finished Xenogears. The main reason was that my big brother, who was about 32 years old at the time, spent most of his time playing Resident Evil 2 on my Playstation when he visited during Christmases. One time he decided he needed more space for his RE2 saves so he, without asking, deleted my 40+h Xenogears saves.

Hesemonni

Banned
Giving up FF:CC to finally finish Xenogears. I think I made it until the final dungeon when I played the last time on PSX. This time I'll do better.

Ok, this might be a bit of a stretch, but let's see if I can make myself clear in one sentence:

Is Xenogears story and world similiar to something like Evangelion? With all the religious stuff around it?

Been looking for something Evangelion-esque for a while now, this might just be it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Rahxephon91 said:
These aren't really good pictures, but I tried.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0499.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0534.jpg[IMG]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0500.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0504.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0506.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0511.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0518.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0524.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0526.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0531.jpg[/url]
[url]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y93/Rahxephon91/IMG_0529.jpg[/url][/QUOTE]

The anime seems to look fantastic. The gameplay still holds up nicely kinda like Grandia.

Kind of have a dilemma. I'd love to play it again but there's this huge backlog but more significantly I played Xenogears a long time ago and I only peripherally remember it. It was one of my favorite games and I don't know if I want to mess with my memory of it and end up thinking less of it this time through than I did the first time. What to do? what to do?

why isn't this in the op banner?

chuchufix.jpg

jiggles

Banned
Started this last night. Never played it before, and know absolutely nothing about it except that it's from Square's golden age of RPGs. And I mean nothing. I didn't even know there were robots in it until they showed up.

I just can't decide whether to play it on the PS3 or on the PSP. The TV with a controller is as it's meant to be played, but PSP's glorious 1:1 pixel mapping option is as it's meant to look.

Or maybe I should dig out an old portable CRT and use that?

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Someone should make a banner using crucified Chuchu.

Rahxephon91 said:

mh, either your HDTV or your camera over-saturates the colors. ^^

I bought Xenogears yesterday, never played it nor do I know much about it (was never released here).
I buckled in and now play it on my PSP on the way to/from work. I realized that I would never play&finish this game if I only play it at home on the big screen (not with all the new games, movies, backlog and so on).

I hope playing it on a handheld won't take too much away from the experience... At least on the PSP it looks sharper due to the smaller SD screen. ^^

btw. I hate that the PS3 emulator does not have the same options like the PSP one.
e.g. adjusting the screen size (there are black borders below&top of PS1 games. Well actually I could swear that wasn't always the case?) and enable faster loading speed.

Crazetex

I really like the Xenosaga series, even if the third game is the only one really worth playing in my opinion. I really, really should get into Xenogears, but I've been resisting.

Ichabod

Banned
ChackanKun said:
Ok, this might be a bit of a stretch, but let's see if I can make myself clear in one sentence:

Is Xenogears story and world similiar to something like Evangelion? With all the religious stuff around it?

Been looking for something Evangelion-esque for a while now, this might just be it.

Speaking as a fellow Eva-fan, if your looking for something Eva-esque, this game will be right up your alley. It has:

+Mecha galore
+Religious overtones/iconography
+Psychological Exploration
+Beserker Mode
+Mindf*ck moments
+Apotheosis
+Incredible moments of tension and drama

Hope that helps, but seriously, if you have any love at all for the RPG genre, you MUST play this game :)

Meier

Can anyone tell me if I buy the PSN version, will my memory card with a save from the disc version be readable?

Xena

This game is so deep. I played way back when it was originally released, and replayed it about four more time since. Just got my download from PSN and will probably start a fifth run of this game this weekend.

Since English isn't my native language, every time I play this game, I seem to grasp more of the storyline and things I didn't understand, so to speak, before. When I first played this game, I did it mostly for the cool gear combat. The other playthorughs were more focused on actually reading and comprehending the plot.

I also have Perfect Works and that book is amazing as well.

Crazetex said:
I really like the Xenosaga series, even if the third game is the only one really worth playing in my opinion. I really, really should get into Xenogears, but I've been resisting.
Is this the general feel? I tried to get into the first Xenosaga game, being a fan of Xenogears, and it didn't grab me. I wouldn't mind trying the third game if it's really that good.

2San

Loved the first disk, but I simply can't replay the game. The 2nd disk is so terrible to play through(still worth completing if it's your first time it's nice to see the ending). I don't rate the game either since it's so incomplete. :\

DoctorWho said:
Is this the general feel? I tried to get into the first Xenosaga game, being a fan of Xenogears, and it didn't grab me. I wouldn't mind trying the third game if it's really that good.

XS3 is one of the best jRPGs on the PS2. If you're going to play only one game in the XS series, play 3.
But...I'd at least play through XS1, skip 2, then move onto 3. That way the story and its twists will have more of an impact on you.
XS1 isn't THAT bad anyway, it just has a SLOW ASS first few hours.

mattp

flyover said:
Only if you believe she eventually becomes Deus.

Great OP!
i got bored and never finished xenosaga. didnt bother with the next 2 games. didnt even come CLOSE to xenogears for me, but i watched the anime of saga ep1
and man, that spoiler just made me go "oh shit"

Kozmo

Still proud owner of the original discs. And now even prouder owner of the digital copy :)

I'm trying hard to come up with a list of people I'd be unwilling to murder for a full HD remake, with all 6 episodes...::drool::

george_us

If they could nix or at least have an option to turn off random battles, I'd be all over this. I don't have the patience for that anymore.

...ah who am I kidding, I'll still get this.

Bebpo

Banned
The Praiseworthy said:
Ahhh the memories :(

If only they could make just one... only one more game like Xenogears in these days the gaming world would be so much more better .

Xenoblade :p

The story scale isn't quite as grand as XG, and the cast and music aren't as good, but it's closer to XG than anything else this gen. Xenosaga probably would have been too if Namco hadn't fucked Takahashi over and made ep2 on their own.

Hopefully XB sees an English release this year.

webrunner

Question:

Does the PS3 version have better load times?

If so, does this solve the stupid battle preload jumping bug that made the Tower so infuriating?

SolidusDave said:
mh, either your HDTV or your camera over-saturates the colors. ^^
Well it is an iphone camera so maybe it's that. But it dosen't sound like you have played Xenogears, that's kind of what the game actually looks like.

Crazetex

DoctorWho said:

Xenosaga 3 is amazing, but like mentioned above, you need to at least know a few things. I'd highly suggest, after playing through the prologue dungeon, sitting down and browsing the codex/Xenobible (in-game) for interesting bits. Especially read about characters as the codex is updated!

Here is the absolute bare minimum of what you need to know, and some suggestions on XS1/2 scenes to watch on Youtube. (HUGE XENOSAGA 1/2 SPOILERS BELOW!) Other Xenonerds, feel free to correct me.

-Shion is a scientist who is in love with her dead boyfriend Kevin and was almost crystallized by a Gnosis but survived and thus is a little wacky/distant. She is addicted to curry. She makes the best curry. She would have made a great housewife if she wasn't a necrophiliac
-Allen has the most sincere hots for Shion ever but is shy about it. He would give up his life for Shion
-chaos is an enigma, but works for good. He is fairly angelic
-chaos and KOS-MOS have a deep, almost lovers-esque relationship; Shion and KOS-MOS have a somewhat detached but still protective/sisterly relationship. KOS-MOS herself is an android and an extremely powerful anti-Gnosis weapon because she can use the Hilbert Effect
-MOMO can use a weaker version of the Hilbert Effect and is a special scout-type Realian. She was created by some Joachim guy to store the Y-Data in (the Y-Data is basically the secrets of the universe. EVERYBODY WANTS THE Y-DATA). She is modeled after Joachim's daughter, Sakura, and always wanted to "replace" her. She gets more badass as the series goes along (from magical girl to Nazi archer to magical Nazi archer)
-Jr. is part of the Kukai Foundation, a neutral space colony/metropolitan ship, and is an URTV. He and Albedo do not really get along, even though Jr. would love to be friends again (you see, Albedo's job is to screw up everything Jr. loves, from MOMO to weird DBZ OVER 9,000!!!!!! stuff). He is my favorite character because he is such a little punk
-Jin was a military man but now he is a sissy with a katana. He is Shion's brother. He likes curry
-Ziggy is a cyborg who wants to forget his depressing past. He and "Voyager" don't get along. He can kick meteors
-Canaan is an advanced Realian and expert E.S. pilot. He has a BIG SECRET and is tied to Ziggy's past (iirc?)
-Margulis and Peligri are awesome villains that believe in a god that speaks to them. Jin used to have the hots for Peligri but then bad stuff happened (REMEMBER THAT THEY TALK TO GOD)
-Mizuki or whatever her name is used to work for Shion directly, but now she is her sort of freelance weapons manufacturer. She was playable for a short time in the earlier games as one of the rare minor character battle participants (the only other ones were Canaan as a pilot in XS2's E.S. battles, and Virgil during the second dungeon of XS1)
-Virgil died early on in XS1 and was a soldier protecting Shion and KOS-MOS. He has a skin condition because he eats Realian skin as a narcotic

TERMS:
Vector - Huge network of scientists headed by Wilhelm. Allen and Mizuki(?) still work for Vector, but Shion quit in order to look into their true purpose and Kevin died when KOS-MOS went insane. They, headed by Shion and Kevin, built KOS-MOS (remember: KEVIN BUILT KOS-MOS, and KOS-MOS KILLED KEVIN)
Durandal - Jr.'s behemoth of a ship; it likes to be used as a dungeon a lot. Used as a second HQ for Shion and company
Elsa - One of the Durandal's contracted exploration/trade ships; your primary HQ and where you go between missions. Includes a bunch of somewhat annoying shipmates that you can usually safely ignore
Gnosis - Aliens that crystallize you if you come in contact with them
Hilbert Effect - Big flashy WMD that eradicates Gnosis and disables machinery; can be focused into small blasts
Android - Machine with human parts
Realian - Android with realistic skin; Xenosaga world's equivalent to black people in terms of mistreatment/slavery, except worse because people eat them. They all went crazy during the Miltian Conflict
Cyborg - Human with machine parts
URTV - U-DO Retro Virus units; human weapons "birthed" (he used egg donors' embryos) by Dimitri Yuriev to cancel out U-DO. Four Variants - purposefully genetically mutated URTVs - exist: Albedo, Rubedo (Jr.), Negredo and some chick
U-DO - Creepy energy
A.G.W.S - Warrior robots without the souls of biblical folks or something
E.S. - Warrior robots with the souls of biblical folks or something (they are pseduo-sentient)
Zohar - One of the twelve disciples - I mean, giant crucifixes - I mean, things that Gnosis are horny for
Miltian Conflict - Second Miltia (or First or... the one you don't live on) got destroyed because the Song of Nephilim was mysteriously activated
Song of Nephilim - Don't activate it. It'll destroy your planet
Merkabah - Borg cube/great way to activate the Song of Nephilim (iirc) besides necrophilia

Scenes to watch:
-The Hilbert Effect (shut up MOMO) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-m57rflJVok)
-Elsa gets Gnosis'd (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0Gdj1GmIs)
-Albedo torturing MOMO (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95mwIi8lVHQ)
-Xenosaga II introduction (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOt9b1QgKA)
-Jin/Margulis fight (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLxe2knWI8Q)

Everything else can probably be intuited or looked up as you please.

Fun fact: Xenosaga is a three-part space opera. Somehow, there is a forest dungeon in every game!

B.K.

DoctorWho said:

Don't get Episode III without playing the other two. You HAVE to play them to understand what's going on in Episode III.

ronito

Crazymoogle said:
Yeah, you'd have to re-buy the game to have a PSN version. The discs you have will work just fine on the PS3 but without CFW you'd have to rebuy for PSP play. (Your PS1 saves can be manually transfered over from the PS3, though...)
Sorry I was talking about PS3 only. If I want to play it on my HDTV is there anything gained having it PSN vs. just using the old discs?

ronito said:
Sorry I was talking about PS3 only. If I want to play it on my HDTV is there anything gained having it PSN vs. just using the old discs?

Nope, they're direct rips and nothing is different.

Top Bottom