• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CD Projekt Red's financial results and strategy

Cyberpunk 2077 is definitely one of my most anticipated games. I really hope they let me have some role in who I play... I'd love the option to at least choose the gender of my character, if not full character customization.

Ushay

Pie charts i know you love them :D

dw1s1Id.jpg

WeSJ7bE.jpg

F3R0d0Z.jpg

Wow look at the revenue split for digital/physical, now consider that digital represented a third of sales, just shows how much profit and revenue is canabilized by the used game market.

Makes me glad I bought from them digitally, I've always believed its the best way to support the studios you like.

Digital future indeed.

Floody

Congrats and well deserved.

Looking forward to the next Witcher DLC and seeing more of Cyberpunk 2077. Speaking of Cyberpunk 2077, do we know why they announced it so early? My guess would be they were just excited they got the I.P rights and wanted to announce it with a fancy trailer, but announcing something so far off just seems like a bad idea.

MadYarpen

Wow look at the revenue split for digital/physical, now consider that digital represented a third of sales, just shows how much profit and revenue is canabilized by the used game market.

Makes me glad I bought from them digitally, I've always believed its the best way to support the studios you like.

Digital future indeed.

Unless you are from Poland, in which case I think buying a retail copy is perfectly fine for them... I hope:) I like to have my witcher boxes.

Yopis

After playing W2 years ago, I wanted these guys, to get the credit they deserved. Glad it's finally happened.

ricki42

Did they mention anything about Linux? Would be nice to have some sort of official statement, even if it's 'not happening'. At least then we'd know.

Just shows that not everyone should chase the mmo rpg aspects like Ubisoft now seem to be doing . Amazing single player focussed games sell and win tons of awards

Revan

158 hours in Witcher III, all quests and current expansions done, still haven't won a game of Gwent -_- Maybe before Blood and Wine I'll do the damn Gwent side quests.

I'm doing NG+ DM with the sole focus of the following:

A) Platinum the game
B) Do all the side quests I either missed or weren't there due to choices the first time around
C) Gwent.

Now that I'm playing Gwent oh man is it a hell of a lot of fun.

I hope the new game on the platform they have never worked with is Gwent for mobile - It would be awesome to play every morning on my way to work.

Auctopus

Don't forget that digital sales can be incredibly cheap (GvG, Steam etc.) and incredibly expensive (PSN). It'd be interesting to see a breakdown by console to see if used games (even piracy) really had a huge impact.

erawsd

Digital future indeed.

Well its not really used games market thats the blame for that. Its that with the physical editions of the game they have publishers (WB/Namco), retailers, and 1st parties to cut in. They self published the digital version so they only had to cut in Sony/MS/Steam on their respective platforms, while on GOG they keep it all to themselves.

Success fully deserved. Top marks for a studio that delivered one of my favourite gaming experiences of all time with Witcher 3. Cyberpunk 2077 can't come soon enough.

This is so true. The Witcher 3, including its first DLC was a great experience. Hope they keep up the momentum of great games like this.

Congrats and well deserved.

Looking forward to the next Witcher DLC and seeing more of Cyberpunk 2077. Speaking of Cyberpunk 2077, do we know why they announced it so early? My guess would be they were just excited they got the I.P rights and wanted to announce it with a fancy trailer, but announcing something so far off just seems like a bad idea.

That teaser was kinda of a recruitment video. They needed staff to work on the game.

Adry9

Unless you are from Poland, in which case I think buying a retail copy is perfectly fine for them... I hope:) I like to have my witcher boxes.
Yup, they were distributing in Poland themselves, and if you bought the game directly from cdp.pl you got a limited edition steelbook, all for 30€. Based CDPR.

I'd love to see a breakdown between Steam and GoG digital sales but I guess that would be too behind the curtain? I seem to remember at the time they were offering some incentives to go for the GoG version (other than the obvious GoG benefits).

ChaosXVI

Definitely seems deserved. I haven't actually played any of their games (somehow just haven't gotten around to them), but I notice this thing happens with every AAA release where everyone on GAF hypes it to the moon and back, and then later on after it's out slowly people just start shitting on it endlessly. It happened with Fallout 4, MGSV, Arkham City...

But it definitely did NOT happen with The Witcher 3. I've never seen anyone talk shit about it, ever. I really need to get around to trying it out.

Also, whatever Cyberpunk 2077 ends up as, I definitely need it.

poodaddy

Gold Member
Man Cyberpunk is gonna be outstanding I know it, their success will only continue.

Do you think they'll ever get big enough to open a branch in the states? Probably wouldn't make sense but I can dream; I'd do terrible things to work for CD Projekt.

Exentryk

This studio deserves all the success in the world. It delivered my favourite RPG of all time in Witcher 3, and I want more of the same. Keep going, CDPR!

Makes me happy to see that Witcher 3 sold 20 million. That's incredible, considering it's the third game in a series that not that many people were into. A real good news gaming story. Sets CDPR up nicely for the future.

wildbite

Cyberpunk 2077 cannot come soon enough! After it releases it would make sense for them to have a third IP to rotate between. More time between each IP would prevent burnout for their designers. Both Bethesda and Bioware seem to be working toward a 3 IP rotation. If that means less time between releases, even better!

Trago

Well deserved! They are the best developers in the business right now.

Cyberpunk 2077 is my most anticipated game, and even I know that we won't be playing that game for a long time.

So good to hear about their success. One of the good guys, and one of the best games of last year!

Remember this when big studios complain about not making enough money or needing to sell dlc or free to play being the only viable model.

Create something great that resonates with people and they will buy it up. That was never easy at any point in the games business.

I love how the time frame that 2077 was put in is a 4 year one making it hard to gauge how far they are lol. So excited for the game but Jesus man that's playing it safe.

SugarDave

- Standalone multiplayer Gwent game
- Blood & Wine soon (looking forward to it more than any full game aside from maybe Deus Ex & Andromeda)
- Cyberpunk 2077 released in 2019 to coincide with "Dude, Blade Runner happens today lmao" boosting sales
- Expanded studios and ambition for more kick ass games

Let's fucking go CDPR!

Ratrat

Makes me happy to see that Witcher 3 sold 20 million. That's incredible, considering it's the third game in a series that not that many people were into. A real good news gaming story. Sets CDPR up nicely for the future.
Im pretty sure it was more 6-7 million. I mean 20 million is like Fallout numbers.

Huh, didn't know that GOG was owned by CD Projekt Red.
It's not.

GoG and CDPR are owned by CDP (CD-Projekt)

20 million is TW1,2,3 combined. Oh how I wish TW3 sells that well. They more than deserve it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
E3 gameplay trailer this year? Please let it be so!

I just hope CDPR doesn't repeat the mistake it made with The Witcher 3 -- showing off something that, ultimately, it couldn't deliver. Forgo the vertical slice and release a gameplay trailer when you've settled on a level of visual fidelity. There's nothing inherently wrong with using PC footage to demo a multiplatform game, but even the PC version of TW3 falls short of the earlier trailers.

Braag

I'm so excited for whatever they have planned next. Blood and Wine, Cyberpunk 2077 or something new.

Ultimadrago

I just hope CDPR doesn't repeat the mistake it made with The Witcher 3 -- showing off something that, ultimately, it couldn't deliver. Forgo the vertical slice and release a gameplay trailer when you've settled on a level of visual fidelity. There's nothing inherently wrong with using PC footage to demo a multiplatform game, but even the PC version of TW3 falls short of the earlier trailers.

While I never quite got the outrage from the "downgradeton" crowd present at the time. It is true that they should only show what they know can be delivered. It can mislead otherwise and in general is a nasty practice.

Lunar15

I don't think I'll be able to handle the hype/build up to Cyberpunk 2077. I kind of hope they don't show it off again until very near release, but we all know that's not going to happen.

These guys are my favorite RPG developers by a long shot. Bethesda and BioWare should take note.

Yeah, they've basically schooled all other RPG devs in terms of world building, lore and storytelling.
I especially hope Bethesda can take notes but FO4 sold 12m+ so ehhh.

Nice to know Guerilla hired some CD Projekt talent for Horizon, I'm hoping the quests there are even half as good/interesting as the most basic quests in TW3.

Oh, I read that wrong. I was thinking that's absolutely huge. 6-7m makes a bit more sense.

I hope Cyberpunk will break into Fallout level sales, because these guys totally deserve all the recognition.
Seems that game maybe more palatable for mainstream audiences in comparison to pure fantasy like TW3.

While I never quite got the outrage from the "downgradeton" crowd present at the time. It is true that they should only show what they know can be delivered. It can mislead otherwise and in general is a nasty practice.
I doubt it was their intention to mislead ppl. They probably bit off more than they can chew when the game grew bigger.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Cyberpunk 2077 is gonna be amazing but beyond that I can't wait to see where CDPR go. The Witcher 3 truly is an awesome game and they deserve all the success they get from it.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah, they've basically schooled all other RPG devs in terms of world building, lore and storytelling.
I especially hope Bethesda can take notes but FO4 sold 12m+ so ehhh.

Yeah, it sold well. But Fallout 4 is also the the game I like least by Bethesda. For the first time I am actually worried about TES VI.

Top Bottom