• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GOG News and Updates 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazoo

They will release a first batch these two weeks, then more later in the year.

I still hope this is not the publisher they were talking about :(

Real shame that [...] Alien Breed 3D 2 was never released on PC. :(

Yeah, it's not. :p

Anyway, I'm psyched to see Team 17 on GOG.com. Gonna nab Alien Breed Tower Assault (the best one!) and Superfrog, though iirc the PC version of Superfrog is - literally - impossible to complete legitimately.

You can pick up the digital version of Civ4 complete from amazon this week for $8.99 ($3.99 if you have one of the $5 best selling game credit codes or can find someone who will let you have one of theirs) I'm pretty sure it's DRM free too:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00475AYUA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Thanks! $8.99 is a bit steep for me to re-buy for convenience but I'll consider it!

I personally liked Worms 1 more than their later sequels. It's a bit simpler of a game. I remember playing hours of the shareware/demo version - and it only had 2 maps!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
9OTu.jpg

A man can dream, right?

oh my god. Is that the one game where you can have dragons as units and build walls around your base and stuff? I've seen it once in my entire life and always thought it looked cool.

mclem

Yeah, it's not. :p

Anyway, I'm psyched to see Team 17 on GOG.com. Gonna nab Alien Breed Tower Assault (the best one!) and Superfrog, though iirc the PC version of Superfrog is - literally - impossible to complete legitimately.

GoG are explicitly assuring us that whatever that was is fixed:

NOTE: This is the MS-DOS version of the game, but our QA team has confirmed that you can indeed finish it. If you're wondering if you can beat the GOG.com version of the game, worry no more. ;)

wazoo

I wouldn't mind trying those out either.

they are pretty much lost in hell.

LucasArts will be for their E3 conference. No way, the games comes out of nowhere.

Interesting, they told they have 150 games more or less in sight, that is 1-2 years of release at most at the current pace. By end 2013, they could have a catalog of 500+ games.

mclem

Big news next week?

LucasArts or bust!

Only in my sad little dreams.

From their twitter:

gogcom said:
Big news! One of our most requested classic games is coming to @GOGcom on the 19th. Hint: its name starts with S

I can think of five. All would be awesome. All of them have a reason to doubt them.

Secret of Monkey Island
Secret of Monkey Island II
- No deal yet signed with Lucasarts.

Syndicate (Plus?)
- Would probably not want to release with the new title on the cards.

System Shock
System Shock II
- In licensing hell.

I think the *least* negative reason there is the one for Syndicate; I could see them arguing their way around that. And Syndicate would be a *huge* title for GoG to get.

Ledsen

From their twitter:

I can think of five. All would be awesome. All of them have a reason to doubt them.

Secret of Monkey Island
Secret of Monkey Island II
- No deal yet signed with Lucasarts.

Syndicate (Plus?)
- Would probably not want to release with the new title on the cards.

System Shock
System Shock II
- In licensing hell.

I think the *least* negative reason there is the one for Syndicate; I could see them arguing their way around that. And Syndicate would be a *huge* title for GoG to get.

Wouldn't the imminent release of the new Syndicate be a very good reason to release the old one on GOG?

Minsc

Gold Member
Here's a list of game updates I noticed while running through the titles:
Arma: Cold War Assault: Patched to v1.99 (campaign/sp/mp fixes)
King's Bounty: The Legend: New build with quite a few bigger bugs fixed
Little Big Adventure: New build almost immediately after release, with CD quality audio​

These are games that have been re-compiled in to a newer .exe accessible from your account page (so re-download them if you got them around release). Not too many this time around.

Then we have a summary of newly added games with MODs / games with changes:
Advent Rising: added game, unofficial patch (restores cut movies, etc)
ArmA: Cold War Assault: Added game, link to downloading user created missions
Call To Power 2: Newer version of Apolyton unofficial patch released
Descent 1 & 2: added link to DXX-Rebirth simple installer
Die by the Sword: DBTS Extended updated (bug fixes)
Dungeon Keeper 2: Added game and link to unofficial patch
Fallout: FIXT (all-in-one patch) & High Resolution patch updated
Fallout 2: sfall & High Resolution patch updated
Freespace 1 & 2: Cleaned up section a little more, updated links
Gothic 3: Added game and link to the Community Patch, highly recommended, improves everything
Heroes of Might & Magic II: Free Heroes 2 updated
Heroes of Might & Magic III: Added all-in-one installer for Wake of Gods
IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946: Added link to newest patch
Independence War Deluxe: Added link to nGlide, alternative wrapper for higher res
Jagged Alliance 2: Added additional mod summary link
Knights and Merchants: The Peasants Rebellion: Added game with link to fan made mode with new engine
Little Big Adventure: Added game with link to music offset fix and modding community
Master of Magic: Added link to modding community
MegaRace 3: Added game and link to patch for fixing 1920x1080 resolution support
Might & Magic 6: updated to GrayFace MM6 Patch v1.11 (minor bug fixes)
Might & Magic 7: updated to GrayFace MM7 Patch v1.6.1 (minor bug fixes)
Might & Magic 8: updated to GrayFace MM8 Patch v1.5 (major release, greatly improved mouse look, bug fixes)
Original War: added link to patch 1.12.2, various bug fixes
Planescape: Torment: added link to DDraw Fix, fixes artifacts / stuttering / poor framerates
POD: added game with link on how to setup with dgVoodoo
Psychonauts: Added game, link to patch v1.05 which includes all changes from new steam version minus cheevos (including all the bugs/crashes 1.05/06 brings :(... v1.07 should fix this)
Realms of the Haunting: Added link to suggested DOSBox keybindings
Rise Of The Triad: Dark War: Added link to Return to the Triad, fan-made sequel
Septerra Core: Added game and link to Timeslip's unofficial patch (fixes windowed mode / videos / cpu usage)
Temple Of Elemental Evil, The: Circle of Eight modpack updated to v7.0
UFO: Aftermath: Added game and link to mod site.
UFO: Afterlight: Added game and link to mod site.
UFO: Aftershock: Updated links to additional mods
Ultima Series (I-VII): Added games with link to Pix's all-in-one auto-patcher

Finally, a special notice for the MS Application Compatibility Toolkit, another working solution for getting rid of the slowdown in older DirectDraw games (like Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, etc), this one not needing additional software to launch with, and working in fullscreen and windowed modes. For help creating profiles, see here (1:45-3:00).

Here are the links to the listings again (also easily accessible in the OP):

MOD INFO A-M
MOD INFO N-Z

Nice being more up to date again!

ctrayne

Watching this thread closely...Syndicate would be great (and very likely) but System Shock 2 would be truly glorious.

mclem

I've never played american revolt. Was it any good?

My overwhelming memory of it is that it's hard. Utterly balls-to-the-wall hard. I completed the entirety of vanilla Syndicate, including Atlantic Accelerator. American Revolt? I completed *one level*.

So nice to see an EA title coming with a data disc!

Edit: Or is it? I got a bit distracted by the URL, and thought it said "Syndicate Plus", when in fact it was "Syndicate plus a contest". We'll have to wait and see...

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I've never played american revolt. Was it any good?

It's *insanely* difficult. Makes legendarily hard games like Battletoads look like a stroll through the park.

Honestly that's one expansion I won't be heartbroken over if they don't include it.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Awesome news about Syndicate. Say what you will about the upcoming fps, but it probably made someone out there jockey for the original to come out to capitalize.

epmode

I hear that Syndicate is one of those Little Big Adventure-type games that are heavy on nostalgia but are almost unplayable when you take modern controls and UI design into account. Confirm or deny pls!

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I hear that Syndicate is one of those Little Big Adventure-type games that are heavy on nostalgia but are almost unplayable when you take modern controls and UI design into account. Confirm or deny pls!

It's almost entirely mouse driven, controls much like an RTS game, so no that's not true.

It's almost entirely mouse driven, controls much like an RTS game, so no that's not true.
I'd hazard that certain RTS actions that a current player would expect (until they realize they are playing an advanced Cannon Fodder) are not easily doable due to certain elements of the interface and viewing angle. Catwalk-heavy levels were certainly more problematic than they would be in a current 3D interface. It's not nearly at the level of LBA, though.

Also, the persuedertron is not as important as the flame thrower, which is the most powerful weapon in the game once you learn the advanced tactic of standing around corners and shooting a stream of fire.

I'd hazard that certain RTS actions that a current player would expect (until they realize they are playing an advanced Cannon Fodder) are not easily doable due to certain elements of the interface and viewing angle. Catwalk-heavy levels were certainly more problematic than they would be in a current 3D interface. It's not nearly at the level of LBA, though.

Also, the persuedertron is not as important as the flame thrower, which is the most powerful weapon in the game once you learn the advanced tactic of standing around corners and shooting a stream of fire.

Ah, so it won't be any different from how I play Pyro in TF2.

mclem

I thought the endorphin bars never quite worked as a concept, given my standard approach was to go massively *negative* at the start of the mission while doing recon, meaning that the centre bar would move down - so when the shit would hit the fan, I could just crank everything up to full for a bit and annihilate everything.

Minsc

Gold Member
I never played the original, so I'm looking forward to it all the same. The comments about the expansion being not that important (over-the-top impossible + basically just a mission pack, nothing more - not at all comparable to say Diablo 2:LoD or anything) quell my fears.

Dynoro

Is it true that Syndicate requires Origin (as the GoG commenters are saying)? If so; that is deeply disappointing.

epmode

I'm amazed that GOG still hasn't worked out the legalities around the expansion packs. I guess it doesn't really matter in this case since American Revolt sucks but oh god I need my Wing Commander expansions.
Good to hear - I thought it would have been totally against GoG's ideals but the EULA on the Syndicate page threw me off.
That EULA is on all of GOG's EA games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom