• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey 2 details (no MP, MEdge/Riddick/KZ/ME/AC2/Vanquish inspired) [Updated Again]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manager

Update:
First screenshot at #144:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26968352&postcount=144
Speedymanic said:
First screen

SG4ID.jpg

And some concept art

mlA7T.jpg

HQ
http://images.vg247.com/current//2011/04/Prey-2-City-Concept.jpg
/End edit

gamereactor83_239491.jpg

Checked the two Prey 2 threads and didn't see any of it except for the image posted, but I have that magazine in my hand. There are six screenshots and 4 pages of text.

- Main character is Killian Samuels, sheriff and prison guard.
- Been in development for 3 years
- X360 main platform, PC and PS3 versions in development (as announced)
- Pretty nice graphics overall (not jaw-dropping but good), graphics style a mix of Bioshock and Mass Effect
- "Heavily inspired by Mirror's Edge, but also Mass Effect, Riddick and Blade Runner" - Producer
- Use the surroundings, big areas where you can sneak up on enemies using the shadows
- No multiplayer, 3D, Kinect or Move
- As said in the PR, 2012 release date

Screenshot 1: Gameplay capture, showing gun (no HUD), and some kind of human gekko alien.
Screenshot 2: Some Krugan Mass Effect alien in some Halo Reach esque bubble shield.
Screenshot 3: More aliens beating another alien in a back alley
Screenshot 4: Mass Effect esque bars confirmed
Screenshot 5: Weird 8-eyed looking aliens confirmed
Screenshot 6: Hot alien chick confirmed

I'll read through the text and update the OP in 15 minutes or so.

Update:
- Tommy/Intro spoiler:
First level is basically the beginning of Prey, but instead of controlling Tommy you control Killian.
- Human head: "If the first Prey was the Luke Sywalker version of the story, Prey 2 is Bobba Fett's story".
- The project has been restarted several times
- Open game structure. "Go wherever you want, talk to whoever you want, do the missions you want".
- GR: "Killian as flexible and limber as Faith of ME, leaping over hights, hanging by arms from pipes, balancing on thin boards and jumping like a cat upwards structures"
- GR: "An enhanced Killzone esque cover system, battles looks so flexible, brings your thoughts back to Vanquish"
- Parkour moments when being chased by enemies
- Money can be used to upgrade your armor, weapons, but also abilities, example to make enemies hover in the air
- Human Head: "Every area is comparable to Assassin's Creed 2", whatever that means. Planet is Exodus. Desert levels, big cities, "in the wilds", cave areas
- GR: "It has the moving scheme from Mirror's Edge, the freedom of Mass Effect and the fire fights of Killzone 2" (writer loved Prey 1)
- Different kinds of ammo, weapons can be customized/rebuilt
- Producer: "Who would pick the MP mode of Prey 2 ahead of the one in for example Halo Reach? We'd rather to a really good SP adventure"
- There will be DLC
- There will be vag portals, but fewer of them and "with different looks"
- GR: Loot system "similar to the one of Boarderlands"
- All the aliens look very human like, except for some of their limbs and obviously faces. Very similar to the Mass Effect aliens in both looks and armor/clothes, nothing like the Prey aliens.

Muzzy said:
Received the french magazine Joystick, and it pretty much says the same as Game Reactor, but there's more:

- Chris Rhinehart compares the side quests of the game to Red Dead Redemption (i.e: cold-blooded murder or bringing back alive the wanted guy) meaning that there's the core storyline but the way you settle the optional missions draws the character.

- Missions feature infiltration, shadowing, murder contract...

- Since you're a bounty hunter, one can ask you to kill a prey, but that prey could ask you to kill instead the one behind that contract, in return for money.

- James Sumwalt (creative director) says the size of the area is at least as big as Rome in AC:B.

- Finishing off a victim or killing his attackers will influence your reputation meter (Red Dead again).

During a mission, after asking a tip about his target to a hot female alien in a strip club, Killian grab a slope before jumping towards a structure.
The magazine says: "it wasn't scripted, it was live and smooth, and there's no glow/highlighting bumping in your face to tell you where you can hang from".

Also, they confirm Human Head is using an updated version of id Tech 4.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Heavily inspired by Mirror's Edge? What the hell is that suppose to mean? I don't believe that judging by the cover.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
So nothing like the first game? Lol. Sounds cool though. Single player (proper, not botmatch) Brink with Riddick stealth then.

Nekrono

Manager said:
- Use the surroundings, big areas where you can sneak up on enemies using the shadows

Will they be highlighted too?

No but really, im still skeptical about all of this, need to see more of the game to tell if I like it or not.

Muzzy

Nekrono said:
Will they be highlighted too?

No but really, im still skeptical about all of this, need to see more of the game to tell if I like it or not.
LOL.

Thanks for the summary Manager.
Also happy there's no MP/3D/Kinect-Move. Hope we'll see soon some gameplay footage.

Manager

WonkersTHEWatilla said:
Inspired by Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay? In what way then, eye shine? First-person fisticuffs?

Producer: "Exodus doesn't rotate. It means that there is constantly a light and a dark side. The inspiraiton of that solution came from Chronicles of Riddick, but since it's constantly light you don't have to be hunted and be in the risk of melting in the light areas". It doesn't make sense to me but I didn't play Riddick much.

Saty

lol? Just how many games are name-dropped in that preview? Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Killzone, Assassin Creed, Riddick, Vanquish, Bioshock. Hoping something will stick. No wonder the game has been restarted couple of times.

The only game they didn't mention was Prey 1. What about the portals?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saty said:
lol? Just how many games are name-dropped in that preview? Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Killzone, Assassin Creed, Riddick, Vanquish, Bioshock. Hoping something will stick. No wonder the game has been restarted couple of times.

Yeah, that kind of concerns me.

I'd love to see it come out great though since it sounds like an interesting concept.

No_Style

Nirolak said:
So they say the combat is like Killzone 2 and Vanquish.

...These aren't exactly compatible.

First person sliding + shooting aka Crysis 2.

I did get a Riddick vibe from that cover tho.

- J - D -

Manager said:
Producer: "Exodus doesn't rotate. It means that there is constantly a light and a dark side. The inspiraiton of that solution came from Chronicles of Riddick, but since it's constantly light you don't have to be hunted and be in the risk of melting in the light areas". It doesn't make sense to me but I didn't play Riddick much.

Sounds good, man.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That's a lot of namedropped franchises; Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect, Riddick, Killzone, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Vanquish, and a protagonist who looks like he's been ripped off of Blops. Talk about rushing to cover all the bases. Honestly, this doesn't dispel any of my worries as it kinda sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Edit: haha beaten.

I_D

The description reminds me of Hitman in space.

Sounds good to me. I was only a mild fan of the first, but it had lots of potential.

EDIT: Nothing wrong with name dropping. It just shows he sees how good other games are and deserve to be incorporated.

Bring on Prey 2: ME/TCoR/KZ/ME/AC2/Vanquish/Borderlands inspired gameplay.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
As a huge fan of Mirrors Edge's gameplay, a shooter with an agile character like Faith sounds swell. Game as a whole sounds potentially awesome as well.

Sign me up.

Draft

The description sounds great.

Still don't know why this game is called Prey 2, but I guess that's why I'm not a VP of marketing.

Manager

Saty said:

From the update:
- There will be vag portals, but fewer on them and "with different looks"

The only mention of portals.

Pretty funny. HH mentioned inspirations from Mass Effect 2, Mirror's Edge, Riddick and Blade Runner, while comparing it partly to Assassin's Creed and Halo Reach.

Forgot to add, the writer said the loot system was very similar to Boarderlands.

An-Det

It sounds incredible, but I'm skeptical since it is nothing like Prey 1. If they can pull it off though, even if it is flawed it sounds amazing.

Saty

Manager said:
-Forgot to add, the writer said the loot system was very similar to Boarderlands.
Add another to the topic!

It sounds the portals will be just doors like the first game; not expanding over the concept.

Zeliard

Nirolak said:
Yeah, that kind of concerns me.

I'd love to see it come out great though since it sounds like an interesting concept.

Yeah, I'm generally interested in open world games so it'll be curious to see where they go with it.

That list of games they name-dropped is pretty amusing, though. They should have just consolidated and said "Bulletstorm meets Brink in an open world."

Nekrono

So far it sounds nothing like the original, which may or may not be a good thing, however judging by how 'design shifts' in games have been recently im expecting a total wreck, I hope im wrong.

sohois

Manager said:

Sounds like he's talking about Pitch Black, the film that first featured the Riddick character.

Alucrid

Banned
So we're gonna have parkour, hiding in shadows, bro-dude soldiers, planet exploring, borgia tower explodin, concentrated awesomeness?

Manager

Xater said:
So which engine are they using? I remember there being some confusion.

Not sure, but apparently not id Tech 5:
Instead, Prey 2 will be developed on an older id Tech engine, most probably id Tech 4 - which was used for Doom 3.

'[Prey 2] has been in development for quite a while and id Tech 5 is still in progress (until Rage ships, and probably even after). So it really wasn't an option,' Bethesda's Pete Hines told IGN.
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/15/prey-2-announced-doesn-t-use-id-tech-5/1

ID Tech 4 is just speculation.

Manager

So... this magazine is free. Given out in stores etc (cover says "Free"), in Sweden. Would it be ok to post pictures? They upload PDF:s of it themselves on their site but this issue hasn't been uploaded yet.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Prey to me was what Doom 3 should have been in many ways. That engine is pretty cool really, it doesn't have to be just restricted to corridors like Doom 3. Look at what Splash Damage did with Quake Wars, large open maps with vehicles etc and still good quality. It can probably be modifed and expanded even further after all this time.

kuYuri

Xater said:
Well which other older ID Tech would they use? 4 is basically the only option if they not using 5. That's disappointing already. I don't think any console game performed great with that engine.

Wasn't Wolfenstein on 360 and PS3 just fine? It used a modified Id Tech 4.

Nekrono

Xater said:
Well which other older ID Tech would they use? 4 is basically the only option if they not using 5. That's disappointing already. I don't think any console game performed great with that engine.

I doubt that will be the case, especially since the 360 is the main platform... now that's depressing!

Spwn

I'm also baffled by the decision to stick with the Prey franchise. Does it even have such a value as a brand? Does the mass market recognize it when they see it? But anyways, the namedropping surprisingly got me intrested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom