• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animal Crossing: Wild World crosses 5 million in Japan (Media-Create)

donny2112

http://www.m-create.com/ranking/

Media-Create said:
『おいでよ どうぶつの森』が累計販売本数500万本を突破

旧作市場においては、『おいでよ どうぶつの森』が累計販売本数で500万本を突破した。DSソフトとしては『New スーパーマリオブラザーズ』に次いで2タイトル目の快挙となる。発売から3年以上経った現在でも1万本近く販売しており、定番として息の長いセールスが続いている。

Google-donny2112 translated said:
Animal Crossing: Wild World Exceeds 5 Million in Total Sales

A long-time presence in the market, Animal Crossing: Wild World has surpassed 5 million in total sales. In DS software, it follows New Super Mario Bros. as the second title to reach this achievement. Despite being on sale for more than 3 years, even now it is selling almost 10,000 weekly, and its longtime sales look to continue.

Media-Create does not combine the Pokemon games, which is why Animal Crossing is only the second DS game to surpass that milestone in Media-Create numbers. New Super Mario Bros. passed 5 million about 19 months from launch, and Animal Crossing has been on sale for 38 months. Based on Famitsu data since 1996 and shipped numbers from prior to that via Captain Smoker, these two are the first non-bundled, non-combined SKU games to cross the 5 million mark in Japan ever.

6153DKPMZ4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Edit:
February 8: Animal Crossing: Wild Word crosses 5 million in Dengeki.
June 7: Animal Crossing: Wild World crosses 5 million in Famitsu.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
donny2112 said:
Based on Famitsu data since 1996 and shipped numbers from prior to that via Captain Smoker, these two are the first non-bundled, non-combined SKU games to cross the 5 million mark in Japan ever.

Animal Crossing is now officially bigger than Dragon Quest.

ampere

Bravo.
People can say what they want about the Wii Animal Crossing (which I have yet to play), but Wild World was fantastic.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
ciaossu said:
Bravo.
People can say what they want about the Wii Animal Crossing (which I have yet to play), but Wild World was fantastic.

Well, it'd be hard not to find City Folk fantastic too :lol

Bananakin

That's pretty crazy. Brain Age 2 should be passing 5 million pretty soon too, right? And then there's DQIX, which certainly has a shot at 5 million. Man, the DS is a monster.

On that note, what are people's expectations for DQIX, anyway?

Bananakin said:
That's pretty crazy. Brain Age 2 should be passing 5 million pretty soon too, right? And then there's DQIX, which certainly has a shot at 5 million. Man, the DS is a monster.

5 million week one

Bananakin said:

Yes, it managed 4.967.131 units till end of 2008.

32.869 left. :D

*Famitsu

Hive

Banned
this game was the reason I bought a DS, and now it's my only gaming system (due to funds, mostly....).

Animal Crossing: Wild World is one of my favorite games to relax with and play~

PSGames

donny2112 said:
Media-Create does not combine the Pokemon games, which is why Animal Crossing is only the second DS game to surpass that milestone in Media-Create numbers.

what would the total sales of pokemon be?

I too wonder what DQ9 will sell, didn't the president say he expected 10 million or something?

Rocksteady33

donny2112 said:
Diamond/Pearl are almost up to 5.6 million in Famitsu. The original games had the highest Famitsu total with over 10 million for Red/Green/Blue/Yellow combined.

And including Platinum (considering Yellow is its equivalency) Diamond/Pearl/Platnium total 7.9 million units, besting all other Pokemon generations (I believe it passed Gold/Silver/Crystal last month.)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's funny to compare the sales of this game to the sales of the N64 original and Gamecube ports/rehashes.

Combined.

Multiple times over.

Over five million in Japan alone? That's a pretty exclusive group. Thus far, the only games that have reached that milestone have been Super Mario Bros, Pokemon Red/Green, Pokemon Gold/Silver, Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire, Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, and New Super Mario Bros. Is Animal Crossing really at the same level of Mario and Pokemon? That's pretty remarkable.

jibblypop

Banned
I love this game and I love City Folk. I'm glad to hear the series is going strong because they are among my most played games.

Christine

Doc Evils said:
What exactly do you do in Animal Crossing?

Catch fish
Keep things tidy
Collect furniture
Catch fish
Write letters
Catch fish
Dig up fossils
Chop down trees
Catch bugs
Catch fish
Catch fish
Plant trees
Catch fish

Neomoto

That is indeed remarkable and damn impressive. Especially when you consider that these are copies sold, who do not count used copies nor family members that play the game aside from the one that actually bought it in stores. Wild World is a fantastic handheld game though, it is perfect for the system including it's target audience.

AppleBlade

Pancakes R Us said:
Well, WW is. City Folk...bleh. I'm as big a AC fanatic as you can get, but barely played CF :(
How can Wild World be any better then City Folk when it's the same friggin' game. Honestly, review scores on this game are very misleading because if you've never played an animal crossing game before then the first one you play, whichever version it is will be great.

Cipherr

I just makes a good handheld game. It really does. Its not my kind of game though, but its easy to see why it would sell like that on a handheld.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Pancakes R Us said:
Well, WW is. City Folk...bleh. I'm as big a AC fanatic as you can get, but barely played CF :(

Same.

I even made the damn official thread. :lol Hopefully will start playing it soon, as my memories of WW are almost gone...

Alex

Doc Evils said:
What exactly do you do in Animal Crossing?

Not much, honestly. I so looked forward to the original, but ultimately there's just no fucking game there. There's no interactivity or communication or growth or consequences whatsoever. You collect and buy furniture and fill out goals through a series of small fetch quests and collection tasks like fishing.

It's got a neat aesthetic, and it would be charming if the characters weren't just pre-set "personalities" randomized across different models.

I keep hoping they'll up the actual gameplay elements, you know, to at least like Harvest Moon level, but they just keep remaking the same exact damn game!

It's probably at least slightly interesting to chill out around in real multiplayer if you're a collectathon nut. Back in the day me and some friends did the whole town visiting thing but it was tedious and cumbersome to last for long.

But yes, it was a great Brawl stage. My favorite.

donny2112

soldat7 said:
So should I get the Gamecube version or the Wii version?

Do you 1) want to have access to NES games, 2) plan on connecting a GBA to the game to access Animal Island, and 3) not care about online? If the answer is yes to all three, then get the GameCube version. Otherwise, the Wii or DS version is probably the way to go.

DuckRacer

I erased my WW town a while back and tried to start all over again (things get boring when you've maxed out your store and home and have an obscenely high HRA score). It hasn't really aged well at all. :/ Framerate, 3D graphics, d-pad control, etc...

I wish they would make another Animal Crossing for DS and try to improve upon the series. (And make it run at a smooth 30fps.)
soldat7 said:
So should I get the Gamecube version or the Wii version?
Wii version

soldat7

donny2112 said:
Do you 1) want to have access to NES games, 2) plan on connecting a GBA to the game to access Animal Island, and 3) not care about online? If the answer is yes to all three, then get the GameCube version. Otherwise, the Wii or DS version is probably the way to go.

Hm...I don't have a GBA, just a DS. I don't care about online or the NES games. Sounds like I should go for the Wii version...

Are there really parts of the Gamecube game that I can't access without a GBA?

donny2112

soldat7 said:
Are there really parts of the Gamecube game that I can't access without a GBA?

• Animal Island (requires GBA to be hooked up to access)
    Kapp'n takes you there on a boat. It's the only place to get
    Coconuts and two of the NES games
    . It's also another place for you to store stuff. After leaving the island, you can download a copy of the Island to your GBA. It then becomes a game to get you islander to dig up stuff/leave money and use items, so you can go back to the island to collect it later.
  • e-Reader functions (requires GBA and e-Reader)
    With an e-Reader and cards, you can upload patterns and items to your Animal Crossing character. The items were pretty much all standard fare, but the patterns could be quite nice like the Zelda outfit. Nothing you couldn't make yourself with the in-game design tool, though.
  • Portable design tool
    You could download a copy of the in-game design tool to your GBA to work on a design away from the GameCube game.
  • Download most NES games to play on the GBA
    Each NES game (except Wario's Woods?) let you download it to the GBA to play on the go.

I think that was all the stuff you could do with a GBA and Animal Crossing.

Firestorm said:
How much is it if you combine all SKUs (WW, CF, 64, +)?
About 7.4 million.

soldat7 said:
Hm...I don't have a GBA, just a DS. I don't care about online or the NES games. Sounds like I should go for the Wii version...
I'd give some consideration to the DS version. Things are definitely bigger and cleaner on the Wii, but it doesn't add a whole lot to the game and being able to have your town in your pocket at all times to pop in when the time is right is quite nice.

Top Bottom