• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is 34 too old to learn how to skateboard.

Hah OP, I was thinking the same thing, was in Barcelona last week and the amount of people on skateboards..

It looked like a lot of fun. Would like to learn to ride one competently so I don't fall off.

Don't particularly need to learn tricks.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I'm 46 and still skate. I did break my wrist recently, but that's not a bad injury list for someone of my graceful years.

I skated when I was a kid in the 70s, then a gnarly dude in the 80s, then kind of a Ross in the 90s, and then skate or die for the rest of time.

When did you start?

Because this person isn't starting when they're a kid, building in that muscle memory, learning to balance etc. Unless OP is already a physically active person, this is gonna hurt.

That is assuming he's planning on learning to do anything beyond just getting around.

Cc23830

You lot have (mostly) made me feel optimistic about this :D i am going to overload on the safetly gear though haha.

GodofWine

As a 39 year old....Im gonna say 'don't do it', not because I don't think you could learn it, or have fun, or would look stupid, I just know that how much stuff hurts increases exponentially between age 30, and 40.

When I was 30, I was in perfect condition, thought I'd cruise through my 30's. Now Im 39, and while I appear to be in fine health, and Im in shape still, so many bumps and bruises have turned into nagging pain that doesn't go away ever / or comes back too easily.

A hobby with less potential to 'fall hard' often, would be my suggestion. Gravity will turn its back on you soon.

But if you do, good luck, and shred stuff man.

Fuck the haters. If skate boarding is something you want to do and will give you joy then do it.

Who gives a shit about what others think about a grown person exercising and being active?

For the future: You know when it's too late to start something? When you're dead. Anytime before then is a great time to try and start something new.

bionic77

Definitely not too late if you are in shape.

Do what you want to do and tell people who shit on your wants or you to fuck off.

Edit: If you want to be a real badass get a Boosted or some other electric skateboard to go along with your regular board. Those look like a ton of fun.

It's not too old to learn it. It's old enough that the biffs and falls from learning it are going to hurt more and take longer to heal than if you'd done it while you were a wiry teenager, though.

NotSelf

It depends I'm 40 and I longboard but just to cruise and to get to point a and b actually it's my only means of transportation right now since my car broke down a couple of days ago its certainly useful when needed.

Why not something like tennis? Golf? Racquetball? Flag football? Join a local softball team? All of these are easier to get into and probably offer more social interaction with people your age.

Dishwalla

Banned
I have a skateboard in the trunk of my car you can have. Santa Cruz, still in decent shape. Last time I used it for anything was moving boxes down a long hallway.

Ohnonono

I am 35 and trying slowly to learn. It is fun. I am much cooler than the little bastards at the skate park. They know this. Even if I suck so bad.

Fonds

Ive stopped skateboarding after doing it for about 15 years.
My ankles were getting really bad and my knees couldnt take the impact from jumping down bigger stair sets anymore.
Getting into my 30s I decided to go for a sport that was less harmful to my body.

If you want to go for it, go for it. But just be 100% aware of the fact that you will get hurt. Even more so since you're older.
You're going to have to pick yourself up and go again, time after time after time.
If you're not willing to commit to that, you'll never learn.

Moff

I know this has been posted several times already but it's just a too perfect fit
giphy.gif

Hey guys, I'm 34 years old. Am I too old to go to the park by myself and play on the swings and roundabout?

My original post in this thread was a joke by the way. No way would I seriously shit on people for doing something they want to do.

Just go to a local skatepark. But if you aren't comfortable on a deck you might want to take up snowboarding or surfing lessons first as they will give you the basics and there is less stigma around them. I haven't skated properly in 14yrs so I'm not one to really give any advice though.

eot

Banned
No, in the sense that you can learn it.

Yes, in the sense that you don't want to deal with all the small injuries when you're 34, instead of 14.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
When did you start?

Because this person isn't starting when they're a kid, building in that muscle memory, learning to balance etc. Unless OP is already a physically active person, this is gonna hurt.

That is assuming he's planning on learning to do anything beyond just getting around.

7. Fair point.

ArjanN

I don't really believe in being too old to learn something, but skateboarding in 2017 does feel kinda passe IMO.

Cc23830

I live in cornwall in the uk. It never snows sadly. I dont enjoy surfing which is mainly all we can do here. So i play soccer and thats it :(

TaterTots

Banned
You're not too old to learn anything. If you're fine with the bumps and cuts, go for it. Who cares what others think? It's your life and you only get one shot. Might as well do everything you want. Don't let others stop you from having experiences.

EvB

I'm 46 and still skate. I did break my wrist recently, but that's not a bad injury list for someone of my graceful years.

I skated when I was a kid in the 70s, then a gnarly dude in the 80s, then kind of a Ross in the 90s, and then skate or die for the rest of time.

Is there a Microsoft Skate Gang of just you an Chris Charla?

If you're fit then definitely not too late. Only other thing you need to learn is how to fall. Also don't be afraid to look like a nerd and wear pads. Falling is just a fact of learning how to skate

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
I don't really believe in being too old to learn something, but skateboarding in 2017 does feel kinda passe IMO.

Lol, the idea you can't be too old for something and the idea that something being passe would impact your desire to do something are at odds with each other.

Top Bottom