• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Uh so I'm probably way late but I haven't bought anything new off Steam for 6 months, but have thew Australian prices gone up by about $40 - $50?

Blizzard

Banned
Yoboman said:
Uh so I'm probably way late but I haven't bought anything new off Steam for 6 months, but have thew Australian prices gone up by about $40 - $50?
At least some games have, apparently. I've seen at least one person mentioning it recently. :(

I can't get Supreme Commander to run on Steam. No errors, it just doesn't start.

I've already verified the cache integrity, but the steam forums are down so I haven't been able to find a solution.

Aselith

Wanted to add my own positive word about Vamphuntr. Dude was supercool and hooked me up with that D2D deal and could not have been a nicer person. One of the best of Gaf for sure.

(Sorry to Vamphuntr if the good word about you gets you hoarded with PM's of people asking for the deal! :p Just wanted to publicly thank you since it was such a good experience.)

Turfster

Rodney McKay said:
I can't get Supreme Commander to run on Steam. No errors, it just doesn't start.
Pretty sure I had to set my disc copy to XP compatibility mode to get it to run. Try that if you haven't already.

Card Boy

Banned
Speaking of region shenanigans i might load up another $30 on Paypal for the Steam Xmas sale. Both Drakkensang's and Risen aint available here along with the usual price gouging 'bargains'

Vamphuntr

Aselith said:
Wanted to add my own positive word about Vamphuntr. Dude was supercool and hooked me up with that D2D deal and could not have been a nicer person. One of the best of Gaf for sure.

(Sorry to Vamphuntr if the good word about you gets you hoarded with PM's of people asking for the deal! :p Just wanted to publicly thank you since it was such a good experience.)

Yeah you're the third person I hooked on the deal :) Going to stop taking requests now since I don't want to have my paypal/card flagged for security purpose. It happened to me on Steam once.

Hope you all have fun.

Turfster

Rodney McKay said:
Yup, that did the trick. Thanks!
Ah, good, I remembered correctly. I tried checking the win7 compatibility list before posting, but apparently that's down, so I wasn't entirely sure.

Kerrby said:
I bet they put the prices up so they can get more money in the steam sales at the end of the year.

fuck all those companies, I'm not paying $99 for batman lol.

Those are only the prices in Australia, but what has baffled me for ages is that Black Ops is $99 in the US store. That makes no sense whatsoever. Not that the AU prices are ok, but Black has been that price for a long time.

Kerrby

Banned
Diomedeskun said:
Those are only the prices in Australia, but what has baffled me for ages is that Black Ops is $99 in the US store. That makes no sense whatsoever. Not that the AU prices are ok, but Black has been that price for a long time.

I am Australian so if I want to buy something I have to deal with the bullshit regional pricing.

It's just Activision being greedy, I didn't realize Black Ops was $99 in the US store as well!

Nabs

It's not $99 here.

I bet pubs got hit with some pressure from retail chains. Having Steam undercut their prices can't be good for biz.

masterkajo

So is this $46.- Skyrim deal for a steam registrable version? If so would be awesome if someone would gift. I can paypal in advance of course. Just PM me. THanks

I'm also interested in Skyrim from D2D ($46), would really appreciate it if someone would gift it! I'l PayPal in advance.

Thanks.

edit: sry, wrong thread!

confused said:
Is Wallace and Gromit any fun ? I loved the humour in the animated moevies.
As far as adventure games go they are pretty easy but if you're a fan of the characters then you will more than likely enjoy the games.

Anyone else having trouble with the gaming for windows 3.5 update in windows 7?

I think I got the update when I started fallout 3 in the game but later on windows wanted the update and now it won't stop installing it.

Just reinstalls over and over. Tried checking it off but with little success. I also tried to find the update and uninstall it but couldn't find it in the update list...

Will give support a try after work today but thought I would check here as well.

edit *found this* so I guess I have to be patient.

1-D_FTW

Nabs said:
It's not $99 here.

I bet pubs got hit with some pressure from retail chains. Having Steam undercut their prices can't be good for biz.

Eh. While I'm sure that's right, look at F1 from Codemasters. They've actually been increasing the price on Steam (49.99 this year) even though Steam was the only outlet available to purchase it from in the US.

Last year it was 39.99 and only available through DD in the US. This year it was only available through Steam and was 49.99. So, yeah, retailers may suck; but so do publishers. They'll take as much as consumers are willing to give. Retailers collapsing prices is probably a great thing for the consumer.

P.S., for comparisons sake, pretty sure people were able to buy it in the UK for something like 28 or 33 dollars through one outlet.

Kerrinck

Laekon said:
L.A. Noire, Yay or Nay? The 360 version is $30 new and under $16 used so it doesn't look like its really worth the Steam price.
34 bucks here in my country, let me know if you need any help.

Derrick01

Banned
PuppetSlave said:
Anyone else having trouble with the gaming for windows 3.5 update in windows 7?

I think I got the update when I started fallout 3 in the game but later on windows wanted the update and now it won't stop installing it.

Just reinstalls over and over. Tried checking it off but with little success. I also tried to find the update and uninstall it but couldn't find it in the update list...

Will give support a try after work today but thought I would check here as well.

edit *found this* so I guess I have to be patient.

This was happening to me too so what I did was right click the update in the windows update box that comes up after I installed it 4 damn times and there was an option to hide it and that has stopped it from coming up.

Derrick01 said:
This was happening to me too so what I did was right click the update in the windows update box that comes up after I installed it 4 damn times and there was an option to hide it and that has stopped it from coming up.

Thanks! That worked great.

Derrick01

Banned
PuppetSlave said:
Thanks! That worked great.

No problem. I bet you can't wait for Windows 8 where all of that GFWL and Xbox Live shit is actually integrated into the OS! I foresee no problems ever coming out of that, no sir.

amrod

Steam Forum Hacked...?

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/07/report-steam-user-forums-hacked-taken-offline/

NEBfk.jpg

Nabs

1-D_FTW said:
Eh. While I'm sure that's right, look at F1 from Codemasters. They've actually been increasing the price on Steam (49.99 this year) even though Steam was the only outlet available to purchase it from in the US.

Last year it was 39.99 and only available through DD in the US. This year it was only available through Steam and was 49.99. So, yeah, retailers may suck; but so do publishers. They'll take as much as consumers are willing to give. Retailers collapsing prices is probably a great thing for the consumer.

P.S., for comparisons sake, pretty sure people were able to buy it in the UK for something like 28 or 33 dollars through one outlet.

Oh for sure. That F1 shit was horrible, especially after all the bugs from last years version.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I've said it before: Shattered Horizon needs a $5.00 4-pack.

In fact, every multiplayer game needs to do the Frozen Synapse buy-1-get-1 model to build its community.

Ionic

Looks like the Super Monday Night Combat beta is starting up. If you signed up you might have gotten a Steam key in your email just now.

Blizzard

Banned
The original MNC was an odd combination of TF2 with a DOTA-style game. I felt it was kind of awkward and ugly, but perhaps I merely needed to tune the controls and practice. I haven't heard anything about the sequel/beta/update.

RealMeat

Banned
Blizzard said:
The original MNC was an odd combination of TF2 with a DOTA-style game. I felt it was kind of awkward and ugly, but perhaps I merely needed to tune the controls and practice. I haven't heard anything about the sequel/beta/update.
The sequel is supposed to be closer to DOTA. It looked kind of cool, but there are so many DOTA-likes coming out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom