• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fate/Grand Order |OT| That's Hell You're Walking Into

Status
Not open for further replies.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
3PywlIv.png

EgyUB4e.png

The story revolves around mages jumping through time to prevent a disaster. You as a mage, and a Master, will summon mythological and historical heroes as Servants to fight as your proxy. Rewrite history.

aTNXWj4.png

Throughout the game you'll meet famous people from history or myths. Characters such as Nero or Sir Francis Drake. All the characters come together to save the world. Here are some more notable people you might recognize: Okita Souji, Mordred, Miyamoto Musashi, Leonardo Da Vinci, and more!

eT3OAfE.png

You summon heroes and heroines from various ages and they are designated into classes. Initially there will be only 9 classes but more will be added as the game. Each class has its strengths and weaknesses with stat modifiers. For instance assassins are great for generating critical hit stars while Riders have the innate ability to naturally pull critical hit stars for dealing critical damage.

xRdHIXG.png

The Saber class is the most well-rounded and is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. They have high HP and strong attack with no negative stat modifiers.

VABkLRl.png

The Archer class is the ranged class known for their survival but relatively frail strength and nature; also is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. They have very high HP but a lower attack.

AJXgzQB.png

The Lancer class is at the forefront for dealing deadly critical blows and is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. While they boast the highest HP in the game they have low attack which boosted by a higher attack multiplier.

XISKG85.png

The Rider class excels in absorbing strength to unleash strong critical attacks and is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. They have average HP and below average attack.

99jOgzt.png

The Assassin class dishes out swift attacks giving companions the opportunity to deal large amounts of damage and is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. They have below average HP and attack with a lower attack modifier.

jBoDRY9.png

The Caster class is primarily a support by bolstering the strengths of comrades with their skills and arts and is not personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon (yet). They tout their strength with the lowest attack in the game (with a lower attack modifier) and average HP.

usafIdu.png

The Berserker class is a high damage dealing class but suffers from dealing more damage than other classes and is personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon. They have the highest attack in the game accompanied with average HP.

Z5YYxUg.png

The Ruler class has the ability to mitigate the damage through their special ability and is personified by a lookalike of the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon.

1HkJkTk.png

Shielder class is primarily for servants who wish to block and reduce damage. This class is not personified by the titular hero(ine) Arturia Pendragon.

uqnY29h.png

Party (Class Triangle)
You will create a party of 5 servants with 1 support slot. You can mix and match various classes or use a single class. Up to you. Within each class a Servant can fulfill a role so there is a variety of compositions you can make. You typically want to mix and match due to their strengths and weaknesses. Each Servant can also possess a Craft Essence which is an ability modifier. Your party will contain a total of 6 servants but only the first 3 will join the fray and the remaining members join as your Servants fall.
  • Saber beats Lancer, Lancer beats Archer, Archer beats Saber.
  • Caster beats Assassin, Assassin beats Rider, Rider beats Caster.
  • Berserker deals extra damage to all classes but takes extra damage.
  • Ruler and Shielder take reduced damage.
g3Sq0b1.jpg

Attack Types
Each Servant has a deck of 5 attacks which are divided into 3 different types listed below. Every turn you will draw 5 attack cards from a pool of the servants you have on the field with the card being a certain type and associated with the specific servant. You can choose three attacks every turn and the goal is to defeat your enemy using your attacks. Additionally you have the ability to match certain attack types together to strengthen the type's effect or chain a single servant's attack card all into an attack chain giving you extra combo hits.
  • Quick generate stars which is used to increase critical hit chance
  • Artes generate meter for Noble Phantasms
  • Buster deals large amounts of raw damage

Skills
Both Servants and Masters have skills. Each skill has a unique ability associated with the Servant's legend or the Master's Mystic Code (outfit). They have cooldowns but can drastically alter the outcome of a battle.

Command Seal
As the master you have 3 command seals that refill after an allotted time. You can use your Command Seals to resurrect your servants, heal your servants, or use Noble Phantasms.

Noble Phantasm
Once you get 100% meter gauge you have the ability to use your Noble Phantasm, which is a manifestation of that hero/heroine's legend. It's your super. It does a lot of damage or it does extra support like stuff. Save it for when you think you need it. Or don't.
sp_howtoplay_img_2_13.png

HlUMV5r.png

This game has a 1% SSR Servant ratio in JP. If this version is the same then prepare to cry tears either from not getting the servant you want or because your wallet is empty.

kgacLQE.png

Q: Why does it say Arturia instead of Artoria or Altria?
A: Cuz *** the localization??

Q: Is the game dubbed in English?
A: No.

Q: I got [inser Servant name here]. Should I reroll?
A: Yes. Always reroll. The point of the game is to reroll. Keep rerolling. Just keep rerolling.

Q: Does this game play on the same server as the JP version?
A: No.

Q: How stingy is this game with summon currency?
A: Depends on how shitty their server infrastructure is.

Q: How's the story? Is it like Fate/Zero?
A: Bad. And no.

Q: You're making this game sound bad. Why should I play?
A: Cuz you like Type Moon or you like interesting mobile games.

Q: How do I play?
A: It's available on the usual Android and App store depending on your OS. It also released 9PM PDT.

Resources
Wiki: http://fategrandorder.wikia.com/wiki/Fate/Grand_Order_Wikia
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/grandorder/
DISCORD: https://discord.gg/4Uqz6st

Credits
Writing: Kayos90
Graphics: Quonny

Just to clarify. PLEASE READ

-The first 10 roll is called the Tutorial roll which will have at minimum one 4* Servant.

-Afterwards you will havethe ability to roll again with quartz you get from your mailbox. This is a regular SQ roll and you can get anything from 3* up to 5*.

-You can get another 4* outside of the rolls with a code that you input for a specific Servant that was announced on the Facebook. The details for this are not released yet and will probably come on today's stream or some time next week.

In case you missed it again.

Just to clarify. PLEASE READ

-The first 10 roll is called the Tutorial roll which will have at minimum one 4* Servant.

-Afterwards you will havethe ability to roll again with quartz you get from your mailbox. This is a regular SQ roll and you can get anything from 3* up to 5*.

-You can get another 4* outside of the rolls with a code that you input for a specific Servant that was announced on the Facebook. The details for this are not released yet and will probably come on today's stream or some time next week.

-----------

HERE IS THE DISCORD: https://discord.gg/4Uqz6st

chrono01

I can't wait for this one, I've been anticipating it for a long time (ever since it was released in Japan, actually).

Thanks for the OT!

Tidd

Will reroll for 2 days and then drop the game... This was the case for the last 3 gacha games I started.

fatalexe

While I appreciate the OP for making the OT, I would have preferred a more serious version of it since this game is not nearly as bad as other Gacha games. In fact it's one of the better ones with great story and good balance in which F2P players can still manage to get to the end game without issues and common Servants can be even better than SR or SSR Servants.

Strimei

I didn't even realize we had enough saber-faces (or variants of Arturia in most cases) to cover just about every possible class. Hah.

I laughed when I saw the OP used Artoria for everything but Ruler and Shielder and refused to show anything for Caster because there's no Saberface Caster yet.

Also, geez, I know Chapter 2 sucks balls (and even the writers themselves admitted it), but the story ain't shit. If anything, it's one of the best gatcha game stories out there.

ALSO, HEADS UP EVERYONE: For the launch celebration, you can get a specific 4-star Servant from a pool of 10, the same used for the 4-star tutorial summon (which is separate), meaning that people who jump in early can get two 4-stars on top of getting Artoria Lily.

While people hate on the gatcha chances, the starting summon is extremely generous now - Hercules is a beast, and EMIYA can be upgraded to become a very potent 4-star Archer after around a year, if his strengthening stuff isn't available right off the bat. Rerolling to ensure you get your two faves out of that pool is extremely worthwhile.

Refyref

OP snubbed Tamamo. For shame.

I only played Extra from this series (so far), but I'll give this one a go, sure.

fatalexe

The story is bad? :(
I tought this was visual novel like with lots of story?

The OT is written as sarcasm but to answer your question, the story/writing is on par with full blown visual novels especially in the 2nd half of the story. Music is also pretty good and scenes have CG renders as well.

FGO is a very story heavy and is a game driven by its storyline

Strimei

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;)

I've come to accept that Takeuchi will inundate us with his waifu. And I like Arturia anyway (not as much as Tamamo though) so I'm good with it. I just never realized how many versions of her alone there are though!

chrono01

Yeah, the Q&A portion is mostly being sarcastic, which good be a bad thing, as it gives a negative impression to those interested.

The story in Fate/GO is definitely not bad, in fact it's one of the game's strongest points.

I've come to accept that Takeuchi will inundate us with his waifu. And I like Arturia anyway (not as much as Tamamo though) so I'm good with it. I just never realized how many versions of her alone there are though!
Yeah, she's popular for sure. You might say she's the face of the franchise (pun intended in this case, haha).

They really should work her into the Type-Moon logo in some way...

(I also love Tamamo, and many of the other Fate girls.)

fatalexe

Apparently the story does actually become good after the first few chapters, but that won't be for a little while and certainly not at launch.

While the story in the first half (chapter 1 to 3) is weaker than the second half (4-8), it's still way better than typical Gacha games.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
If yall want me actually change some points on the Q&A in addition to adding some I will make them gladly. Just have them in format so i can copy/paste

Azusa

I don't read Japanese but I still playing jp fgo for the gameplay and servants. It's a fine casual game even if you don't care about story.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I didn't even realize we had enough saber-faces (or variants of Arturia in most cases) to cover just about every possible class. Hah.

Despite my annoyance is TM's insistence on diluting Arturia's core character with a huge amount of redundant versions(did we really need Alter Mysterious heroine X as a moe blob...), you can never have enough Arturia

chrono01

If yall want me actually change some points on the Q&A in addition to adding some I will make them gladly. Just have them in format so i can copy/paste
I do appreciate the OT, so don't get the wrong idea! I just think a few of the listings, mostly for the story and re-rolling procedures and who to aim for, would be helpful.

I'd contribute to the Q&A portion, but unfortunately, my knowledge of the game is somewhat lacking, since I've yet to play it so it's mostly second-hand stuff I read through various outlets. :(

I'd mention that among the starting 4* characters, the ones you can choose for free (thanks to the launch promotion), both Heracles and Emiya are among the best, as they can be brought into end-game content once they are properly-leveled and such. As for the 5* starting characters, assuming we get the same ones Japan had at launch, the only two worth mentioning are Jeanne and Waver. Waver, in-particular, works great with the Emiya you can choose choose to make a powerful duo. Aside from those two, it's best to save your quartz for any rated-up characters that interest you, probably one of the limited-time units that'll show up after launch (Gilgamesh, Okita, Scathach, etc.).

Yu Narukami

I just googled Fate Grand Order Emyia because I wanted to see what he looks like in the game and it's a huge spoiler lol. I started watching Stay Night a few days ago.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I just googled Fate Grand Order Emyia because I wanted to see what he looks like in the game and it's a huge spoiler lol. I started watching Stay Night a few days ago.

One does not simply 'google emiya in fate GO'. Its not as clear cut as that considering how many versions of characters there are

Yu Narukami

Sorry for being off-topic but in which order should I watch the Anime? I'm halfway through Stay Night. I googled but read different opinions.

chrono01

Here's a 4* and 5* character tier list from the Japanese version. Keep in-mind that these scores take into account the current gameplay, as well as already-released characters, so the ratings would differ compared directly with the English release (since we don't have as much content as they do just yet). It should give you a basic idea though as to who's worth re-rolling/settling on though, as well as characters to plan to aim for in the future. We won't have all of these characters at launch, but they will be added over time.

(Use Google Translate if you need to)

4* Character Tier List

5* Character Tier List

The AppMedia listings are also catalogued here, for ease-of-use.

http://fate-go.cirnopedia.org/guide_faq.php#tier

Refyref

Do anyone know what characters will be available at launch, other than the ten 4* characters you can pick from? Or in other words, how long will it be until I can get a Tamamo? (Not the cat one that's in the 4* pool.)

Edit: Well there's my answer. ^ Thanks!

jonjonaug

Do anyone know what characters will be available at launch, other than the ten 4* characters you can pick from? Or in other words, how long will it be until I can get a Tamamo? (Not the cat one that's in the 4* pool.)

Edit: Well there's my answer. ^ Thanks!

One of the English wikis says that regular Tamamo was originally from a Halloween event and was later added to the standard pool after a later story chapter. She's also a 5* character.

Reroll 101

Q: I rolled [insert servant name], can I start the game?

A: No, restart, and roll Waver.

Q: But they seem pretty high on the tier list....

A: Just shut up and reroll Waver.

Refyref

One of the English wikis says that regular Tamamo was originally from a Halloween event and was later added to the standard pool after a later story chapter. She's also a 5* character.

I assume that it will take a while until we can get her. Oh well, it is what it is.

Well, if you're playing this game at all, be prepared to be inundated with Fate spoilers in general, that's how the cookie crumbles. It sucks, but oh well.

Might as well throw out a few tips for new players:

1. There is no PvP, don't worry too much about tier lists until later. Seriously, you can pick your faves most of the time, though after a while team composition will become extremely important.
  2. Less-rare Servants are still useful. There are even one and two-stars are are extremely useful - Hans is a fantastic substitute for Waver, Asterios' NP is a fantastic shutdown mechanism to render an enemy Servant unable to do any damage (teams structured around him can utterly destroy some of the Knights in Camelot, and he can solo Tristan), and Saint George is a great tank, for example. Amongst three-stars, you have damage-dealers like Cú Chulainn (regular, not Prototype), Euryale, who is an absolute monster against male Servants, especially male Sabers, and then there's Medea, who can spam her NP like nobody's business (despite her NP not actually being a viable combat item in non-gameplay terms, lel).
  3. Level up all your Servants. You won't regret it.
  4. Participate in events. You'll get lots of materials and other stuff you'll have a hard time grinding for otherwise, and events also often come with free *4 servants who are often very useful - Nobunuga, Halloween Liz, Shiki, Irisviel and Kuro, for example. Events also come quite often.
  5. Mashu/Shielder may not seem like much at first, but she's very useful early-on, and becomes extremely useful later when later chapters power her up, especially in Camelot. She may not be a damage dealer, but she makes for a fantastic tank and defensive Servant to keep your team safe. As well, she doesn't take up any points in your party, so she gives you additional room for higher-star Servants and Craft Essences.
  6. Speaking of Craft Essences, certain CEs like Kaleidoscope and Imaginary Number Magic that give Servants a good chunk of their NP meter at the start of battle are often used for a good reason. The former in particular is particularly prized for giving 80% meter normally and 100%(!!!) when at max rank. CEs are damn important, to say the least.
  7. Noble Phantasms are important in terms of choosing who you want to bring into a fight. In particular, your damage-dealers should only be using multi-target NPs when there are actually multiple enemies to deal with. Single-target NPs do significantly more damage.
  8. Get plenty of friends added. Trust me, the more choice in terms of support Servants with NPs available to you, the more likely you'll have a great team to work with. Supports will also be invaluable for adding higher-level/star Servants into your team when you need them.

fatalexe

Apparently the story does actually become good after the first few chapters, but that won't be for a little while and certainly not at launch.

While the story in the first half (chapter 1 to 3) is weaker than the second half (4-8), it's still way better than typical Gacha games.

Shadic7700

Well, who do you personally like better: Waver or Waver? Just go with your gut, if you like Waver better, go with him. If not, go with Waver instead.

I don't envy your choice, friend!
When I get Iskandar I think I'll just go with A random Assassin and Alexander Waver is a bit garbage tier from what 4chan tells me
/s

Crap not available in Poland on play store - any idea if they are still adding countries ? Or is there any way to get it working through emulator ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom