• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danganronpa Community Thread: Thrills! Chills! Kills! Despair!

Vylash

4cjeCxW.png

Welcome to the Danganronpa Community Thread! Your one stop shop for everything surrounding the sadistic masochism that is being a Danganronpa fan! Here you can discuss the games, light novels, anime, why Ibuki is the best, and anything else.

SPOILER RULES:

Danganronpa is a very story oriented series, and therefore spoilers are a very delicate subject.

Open spoilers of important story elements are not allowed, please mark them accordingly.

Any art depicting spoiler characters or plot points may not be embedded in the thread, link them and mark them as spoilers.

We're all fans here, so let's not ruin the games for anyone. After all, you wouldn't wanna break the rules...

jgKZoqGmCrkx1.jpg

RIGHT?

====================================================

What is Danganronpa?

Danganronpa is a series of (mostly) murder mystery games developed by Spike Chunsoft. The main cast are trapped in certain locations and forced to take part in creuly designed killing games, where the only way to escape is to murder someone and not be caught. Gameplay consists of interacting and bonding with other characters, investigating crime scenes, and deducing who the culprit is using everything at your disposal during class trials.

Games

Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc
Danganronpa takes place at an elite high school called Hope's Peak Academy, which accepts talented "Ultimate" students of the highest caliber in various fields each year. Makoto Naegi, a fairly optimistic but otherwise average student, is selected in a raffle and chosen to enroll into the academy as the "Ultimate Lucky Student". However, when Makoto arrives inside the Academy, he loses consciousness and wakes up locked inside the school, where he meets fourteen other newly picked Ultimate students who are in the same situation as him. It is there that a sadistic, remote-controlled bear named Monokuma appears before them, telling them they will be imprisoned in the academy for the rest of their lives, and that they will be put to death if they violate any of the schools rules. He offers only one way for students to "graduate" from the academy: murder another student and not be identified as the culprit.
This is the first game in the series, and the first place you should start

Amazon
PSN

Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair

Following a similar premise to the previous game, Danganronpa 2 puts players in control of Hajime Hinata, an amnesiac boy who has just become one of Hope's Peak Academy's 'Ultimate' students, alongside fifteen others. The students find themselves taken to a remote tropical island called Jabberwock by their alleged teacher, a rabbit named Usami, who claims it to be a simple field trip. However, things turn out to be too good to be true as Hope's Peak Academy's notorious principal, Monokuma, announces they are stuck on the island for life unless they can murder another student and get away with it. If the students can determine a murderer in a Class Trial, that culprit is executed, but if they make the wrong assumption, then the killer walks home free whilst everyone else is sentenced to death.
Second game in the series, direct sequel to THH, go here next.

Amazon
PSN

Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls

After the horrors have ended at Hope's Peak Academy, society is on the verge of collapse and violent anarchy has engulfed the whole world in despair! Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls is the pre-sequel to the highly popular mystery adventure game Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair. Unlike the first two games, players will take on the role of two heroines, Komaru Naegi and Toko Fukawa, as they are thrust into a despair-ridden Towa City with one goal-escape. Komaru Naegi, little sister to Makoto Naegi, has been imprisoned inside a mysterious apartment for over a year. One day, she is rescued by Byakuya Togami of Future Foundation, but the rescue is derailed by a sudden attack of hundreds of Monokumas. Komaru soon discovers that the city has been taken over by a group of children calling themselves the Warriors of Hope. Their leader, Monaca, declares that the city will be the site of a Children's Paradise, and to accomplish this, all the adults will be exterminated. Komaru teams up with Toko Fukawa to try to survive the rampaging Monokumas, escape the crafty Monokuma Kids, and uncover the secrets of the city.
Play this after 2, not before

Amazon

jbtgxiDTB4LSNb.jpg

Danganronpa 3

The only thing we really know about this is that it exists.

Other Media

jSRzsiL0E1fwk.jpg

Danganronpa Zero

Danganronpa/Zero is a light novel that serves as a prequel to Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc, featuring events prior to the game.

Unfortunately lacking any sort of official release, but easy enough to find online and well worth a read.

Volume 1
Volume 2

jLYR6hWFFLd5R.jpg

Danganronpa: The Animation

A 13 episode anime covering the events of Trigger Happy Havoc. In all honesty it's not very good and is in no way a substitute for playing the actual game, but it's fun enough for what it is, it also sold decently so an adaptation of the second game isn't off of the table.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3
Volume 4

jbrJPfw8uKCECh.jpg

Danganronpa Kirigiri

A small Light Novel series focusing on Kyoko Kirigiri.

Volume 1
Volume 2
Volume 3

jbtaSJCIDqYSXJ.jpg

Makoto Naegi’s Worst Day Ever

A small booklet that came with volume 1 of the anime, it covers the circumstances behind Makoto getting recruited into Hope's Peak Academy

jWSjLtPQmOcMt.jpg

Danganronpa 1 ・2 Beautiful Days

An upcoming light novel featuring characters from Danganronpa 1 and 2, featuring various short stories that delve into the events of their daily lives.

Preorder

Danganronpa IF

A special Light Novel that serves as a what if story that takes Trigger Happy Havoc down a different path. it's unlocked after completing Goodbye Despair.

And that's all, enjoy your school life!

latest
latest

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
*waits patiently for Another Episode to be confirmed for US in order to pre-order the LE*

Just glad I've been able to avoid spoilers for that.

*waits patiently for Another Episode to be confirmed for US in order to pre-order the LE*

Just glad I've been able to avoid spoilers for that.

Same. I've been very diligent about avoiding spoilers. I was spoiled for the first game, and while that wasn't horrible, these types of games are always better spoiler free.

Patiently waiting for NISA to announce Another Episode and it's LE. They said no new localization announcements until around February though, so just gotta be a little patient I guess.

Vylash

Same. I've been very diligent about avoiding spoilers. I was spoiled for the first game, and while that wasn't horrible, these types of games are always better spoiler free.

Patiently waiting for NISA to announce Another Episode and it's LE. They said no new localization announcements until around February though, so just gotta be a little patient I guess.

i think i got spoiled a bit on the wiki, but i should be okay for the most part, youtube isn't safe anymore though

i think i got spoiled a bit on the wiki, but i should be okay for the most part, youtube isn't safe anymore though

Yeah, it was a drag looking up the Danganronpa 2 ost on youtube and then seeing thumbnails for AE videos that may have been spoilery. Clicked away before I really saw anything, but now I'm avoiding all DR videos.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Love these! Looking forward to playing more, please bring over that spinoff and 3.

Despair

On this, the 14th of December, year unknown, a great hero was born. A hero whose sacrifice ensured the continued survival of seven others, and who laughed in the face of his own impending doom.

2M79WLV.png

Happy birthday, Gundam Tanaka. What you did in life shall echo in eternity.

Wichu

Aww yeah.

4caXQlM.png

Seeing as ScraftyDevil hasn't used this avatar for a while, it's up for grabs if anyone wants it :)

Heyyyy finally a Community thread for this! AWESOME!

The more I hear about AE, the more I want it.

Although, I'm afraid that the genre shift will hurt its localisation prospects :/

Still, if a DR3 comes out, that will almost certainly be localised given how popular the first 2 games have been............ right?

LX_Theo

Banned
Heyyyy finally a Community thread for this! AWESOME!

The more I hear about AE, the more I want it.

Although, I'm afraid that the genre shift will hurt its localisation prospects :/

Still, if a DR3 comes out, that will almost certainly be localised given how popular the first 2 games have been............ right?
I'm quite confident that the userbase in the west wouldn't shrink because of the genre shift. Or do you mean from a development standpoint on the localization?

I'm quite confident that the userbase in the west wouldn't shrink because of the genre shift. Or do you mean from a development standpoint on the localization?

I was actually thinking userbase, while I dont think the genre shift will shrink the userbase by much, I just dont see people who are into the VN type games buying a third person shooter with VN aspects and influences.

Whereas I think the Danganronpa fans will buy it because its Danganronpa, I just dont see VN fans making the switch. And third person shooter fans....... well, they probably wont understand anything thats going on.

That's just my opinion though, I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this one!

LX_Theo

Banned
I was actually thinking userbase, while I dont think the genre shift will shrink the userbase by much, I just dont see people who are into the VN type games buying a third person shooter with VN aspects and influences.

Whereas I think the Danganronpa fans will buy it because its Danganronpa, I just dont see VN fans making the switch. And third person shooter fans....... well, they probably wont understand anything thats going on.

That's just my opinion though, I could be COMPLETELY wrong on this one!

I personally think that people who like the game like it because of the story. The VN aspects compliment and enable the story well, but as long as we get reports saying that the game's story is up to snuff, we should be fine in terms of userbase size changing.

This was completely random, but I saw that Heather Halley is following me on twitter, so I went to wiki to check what roles she had in the games she's voiced and she was credited as a character from Another Episode.

Probably fake or just a really weird mistake but it just seemed so random lol.

Vylash

This was completely random, but I saw that Heather Halley is following me on twitter, so I went to wiki to check what roles she had in the games she's voiced and she was credited as a character from Another Episode.

Probably fake or just a really weird mistake but it just seemed so random lol.

localization confirmed, we did it

also rip LX_Theo

-Horizon-

Playing Dangranronpa 1.

Finished Chapter 2.

Byakuya is a jerkface.

Actually, everyone is kind of a jerk to the protag :/

Except for like Sakura, Aoi, and Chihiro
before she kicked the bucket and is now a green floating thing in a locker :eek:

Fun game though :D

Top Bottom