• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

GoldStarz

I'd love it if they could incorporate that kind of surfing for exploration for future games.

I like the mechanic since it helps make the islands actually feel distant like there's space between them, but I'm not sure how it could be incorporated outside an island setting

wmlk

I like the mechanic since it helps make the islands actually feel distant like there's space between them, but I'm not sure how it could be incorporated outside an island setting

There have been hazards before in water routes. Like west of Pacifidlog in Hoenn and west of Route 1 in Unova. I'm sure in 3D they can do something like high tides in certain areas.

It would behave similarly, where you can't go back to where you came from. But yeah, it would only be applicable for longer distances. The distance between Slateport and Pacifidlog was big though.

Articalys

Rather than the expanded versions on top of the same basic framework that Y/C/E/P were, Ultra is really starting to feel more akin to a near overhaul of the entire game, like they had to leave a ton of stuff out the first time around.

Rather than the expanded versions on top of the same basic framework that Y/C/E/P were, Ultra is really starting to feel more akin to a near overhaul of the entire game, like they had to leave a ton of stuff out the first time around.
...Is it?

It’s feeling more like a Platinum to me- keepin the same basic shape, while tweaking the specifics of the quest (be it gym rosters or the contents of trials) and slightly altering the plot to accommodate the new cover legendary.

Of course, Platinum’s biggest addition was the Battle Frontier, and I’d be gobsmacked if USUM had one of those.

"Over 400 Pokemon appear."

Seriously? Surely they have new Alolan variants, right? It's so weird that they haven't shown any off yet.

Gold is unlocking soon. Excited!

I'm betting that is just the USUM Alola Dex with different Pokemon. Since we have new UB, I still have hopes that we have new Alolan pokemon too...

Mr-Joker

Banned
You know I am an idiot as I only just figured out the kinda vibe that Game Freak were going with Alola.

It's meant to evoke the feeling of going on holiday and Alola being a tourist attraction.

In other news I am kinda tempted to get the new Z-ring;

z-power_ring-350x350.png

I'm betting that is just the USUM Alola Dex with different Pokemon. Since we have new UB, I still have hopes that we have new Alolan pokemon too...

I think that the only new Pokémon that we will get are Ultra Beast and Alolan forms as those Pokémon are more expendable and we're unlikely to see more Ultra Beast and Alolan form in future generation.

Danielsan

So I'm a bit out of the loop. Will the Ultra games have a national dex? Decided to renew my bank account this weekend and moved some mons from Y to Sun, only to realize that there is no national Dex in that game. :/

Forkball

So I'm a bit out of the loop. Will the Ultra games have a national dex? Decided to renew my bank account this weekend and moved some mons from Y to Sun, only to realize that there is no national Dex in that game. :/
Unknown. I hope it does though, taking it out was such a strange decision.

And Festival Plaza couldn't be any worse so they really can only go up. I actually thought it sounded really cool on paper, but the execution was so bad.

Mr-Joker

Banned
As expected, everyone's favourite communication system is returning.

https://twitter.com/SerebiiNet/status/912270948321161217

Hopefully it's at least tweaked so that you can access the bottom screen menu outside of the Plaza itself.

I am still excited for the game and I still have hope that there will major improvement akin to how Platinum was for Diamond and Pearl.

But seeing this;

p02_02_EN.jpg

Kinda deflate the hype a bit as it's pretty much the same fetch quest crap from Mallow trial from Sun and Moon just that the only different is that we having to get the item from the Sudowoodo rather than using the Stoutland Pokéride, which I hated as using Stoudland as the item finder was just clunky.

But on the other hand seeing how Sophocles' trial seemed to be drastically different, for the better, from Sun and Moon gives some hope that not all trial will play out the same as it's possible that Totem Lurantis might have new tacit up her sleeve.

Honestly though it doesn't matter how different the trials are from Sun and Moon, I still didn't care for them in Sun and Moon and I don't care for them now and I hope that they remain an Alolan feature and going forward we go back to the tried and true staple, if not superior, Gym.

I'm sad because I can't buy Gold or Silver. Have $8.80 in my account, but my credit card is not valid to use with the eShop for that extra $1.19 -.-

I've been on a tight budget so I'm unsure about spending on the 10USD code having almost all the money already in the account. Is there other way of paying just what you need ?

I'm probably getting some extra money but.. there's Samus Returns too damn it

GoldStarz

Unknown. I hope it does though, taking it out was such a strange decision.

And Festival Plaza couldn't be any worse so they really can only go up. I actually thought it sounded really cool on paper, but the execution was so bad.

It should've been an optional additional thing rather than the primary way you conduct external communication. B2W2 had a similar thing with Join Avenue that failed to get traction because it was linked to a set location rather than existing outside the game world, Festival Plaza could've been a fix to that if it had been its own thing, but since it's now tied to connection, people actively dislike it rather than being indifferent to it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Stoutland as Item Finder was very bad. It just doesn't work well in 3D.

Plus there were areas that Stoutland couldn't fit but there was an item hidden there, I just didn't like using him so I ended up forgoing looking for hidden items.

I also didn't like the lack of bike as it made one hand training, searching for Pokémon or egg hatching impossible.

If the Pokéride are to become a staple of the series I really hope that they at least keep the bike on, it was silly to even get rid of it in the first place as Tauros was still required to clear paths.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Stoutland as Item Finder was very bad. It just doesn't work well in 3D.

Change it to a Murkrow that sits on your shoulders (since they like shiny things) and squawks more frequently the closer you get to treasure.

So Poke gaf, I've been wanting to get back into Pokemon. Last game I played was one of the GBA ones but I don't even remember which one I owned.

Anyways so a few questions if you could please. I wanna get X or Y and one of the ORAS games.

Is there any reason to get both and which one is the best? Also is there any reason to get SM before ultra comes out or just wait for Ultra? Is BM worth playing even though it's a DS title?

So Poke gaf, I've been wanting to get back into Pokemon. Last game I played was one of the GBA ones but I don't even remember which one I owned.

Anyways so a few questions if you could please. I wanna get X or Y and one of the ORAS games.

Is there any reason to get both and which one is the best? Also is there any reason to get SM before ultra comes out or just wait for Ultra? Is BM worth playing even though it's a DS title?

Due to online trading there's really no need to get both anymore. Between XY and ORAS, I'd say ORAS is the meatier game but XY is a better stepping stone into that generation. SM is worth playing if only because of the experience, but since Ultra is coming out so soon, it might be best to wait so you can play the others.

I'm also assuming you meant Black/White, and yes they're still good. BW1 has the better Story Mode, while BW2 has the better post-game stuff.

GoldStarz

B/W and B2W2 are worth playing way more than XY or ORAS, tbh. Gen VI had good QoL features with connectivity, but honestly, the Gen was kinda shit outside of that. If you don't wanna play Gen V games because they were made for the DS then I would just wait for USUM (which looks to be a remixed version of SM, but right now it's not clear how different so for now I would say to just stick with getting an Ultra version).

lupinko

You only buy multiple copies if you want to SR/RNG for your own legendaries, are big into event trading or need maximum efficiency when it comes to breeding and training.

I'm content playing four 3DSes at the same time.

Anyway I was doing my Japanese Blue playthrough yesterday and it turns out the level 10 Abras on Route 24 can generate wild Blastoise from the Mew Teleport/Fly Glitch.

So far in that game and I haven't fought Misty yet, I have level 100s Blastoise, Venasaur, Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Mew. I'll grab the Gengar there too.

Since I don't have my Trainer name as ゲーフリ nor do I have the matching TID, I know that game's Mew(s) are trapped in that game (and I guess GS too).

I have RGBY on the same 3DS and other 3DS too along with GS.

You only buy multiple copies if you want to SR/RNG for your own legendaries, are big into event trading or need maximum efficiency when it comes to breeding and training.

I'm content playing four 3DSes at the same time.

Anyway I was doing my Japanese Blue playthrough yesterday and it turns out the level 10 Abras on Route 24 can generate wild Blastoise from the Mew Teleport/Fly Glitch.

So far in that game and I haven't fought Misty yet, I have level 100s Blastoise, Venasaur, Nidoking, Nidoqueen and Mew. I'll grab the Gengar there too.

Since I don't have my Trainer name as ゲーフリ nor do I have the matching TID, I know that game's Mew(s) are trapped in that game (and I guess GS too).

I have RGBY on the same 3DS and other 3DS too along with GS.

You could always use arbitrary code execution to free the Mew.
Make them shiny too.

lupinko

You could always use arbitrary code execution to free the Mew.
Make them shiny too.

Yeah I know that but technically Mew coming from VC1 gen can't be shiny. The one given out for the VC Event in Japan (I have one) and in the U.K. had specific DVs that don't make it shiny without ingame recoding.

It's not a big deal, I'm trying to SR for that TID on US Blue and JP Yellow.

I tried doing the earliest code execution on two game attempts and the saves deleted themselves. Lol

I can get on Faraway Island at any time on my Emeralds and I have mastered Gen 3 RNG, so shiny Mew and those Gen 3 legendaries and mythicals aren't a big deal for me.

Yeah I know that but technically Mew coming from VC1 gen can't be shiny. The one given out for the VC Event in Japan (I have one) and in the U.K. had specific DVs that don't make it shiny without ingame recoding.

It's not a big deal, I'm trying to SR for that TID on US Blue and JP Yellow.

I tried doing the earliest code execution on two game attempts and the saves deleted themselves. Lol

I can get on Faraway Island at any time on my Emeralds and I have mastered Gen 3 RNG, so shiny Mew and those Gen 3 legendaries and mythicals aren't a big deal for me.

Oh, I didn't know they actually limited the DVs like that. It's pretty Game Freak like to then not add the check in the transfer tool... Faraway Island remains the only way to get a legit Shiny Mew then I guess?

I also managed to delete my save once while trying to get 8F.

lupinko

Oh, I didn't know they actually limited the DVs like that. It's pretty Game Freak like to then not add the check in the transfer tool... Faraway Island remains the only way to get a legit Shiny Mew then I guess?

I also managed to delete my save once while trying to get 8F.

The JP and UK Event Mews have perfect 15 DVs, so when transferred they are guaranteed 5 perfect 31 IVs and one random. If you didn't get any XP in RGBY, your Mew will be Timid by default. I got like 31/31/31/31/x/31 I think since I'm not home right now to check.

I tried to do the item overflow glitch when getting to Cerulean to change my TID, while I did follow the steps right I think maybe where I was in the game got me to get the wrong code execution. That or I did need specific items after all.

But yeah you can make any Gen 1 Mew shiny or even catch one shiny and they'll pass through Bank if they just have the proper TID and Trainer Name. Gamefreak was not willing to bother to do any actual restrictions as that would be too much work for a bunch of 20 year old rom dumps.

Edit:

And yeah Faraway Island Mew on a Japanese Emerald cart is the only legitimate way to get shiny Mew. Given that time machines haven't been invented yet or Celebi isn't actually real, the only realistic way to do it on a cart now is to use a backup save tool to load in the event or a pro action replay to activate the event.

The JP and UK Event Mews have perfect 15 DVs, so when transferred they are guaranteed 5 perfect 31 IVs and one random. If you didn't get any XP in RGBY, your Mew will be Timid by default. I got like 31/31/31/31/x/31 I think since I'm not home right now to check.

I tried to do the item overflow glitch when getting to Cerulean to change my TID, while I did follow the steps right I think maybe where I was in the game got me to get the wrong code execution. That or I did need specific items after all.

But yeah you can make any Gen 1 Mew shiny or even catch one shiny and they'll pass through Bank if they just have the proper TID and Trainer Name. Gamefreak was not willing to bother to do any actual restrictions as that would be too much work for a bunch of 20 year old rom dumps.

Edit:

And yeah Faraway Island Mew on a Japanese Emerald cart is the only legitimate way to get shiny Mew. Given that time machines haven't been invented yet or Celebi isn't actually real, the only realistic way to do it on a cart now is to use a backup save tool to load in the event or a pro action replay to activate the event.

AFAIK the IVs of transferred Pokemon are fully random except for 3 guaranteed 31's, 5 for mew as a special case. But yeah, if they gave it perfect 15s for the event it can't be shiny.

GoldStarz

Change it to a Murkrow that sits on your shoulders (since they like shiny things) and squawks more frequently the closer you get to treasure.

The best item finder will always be Gen IV's Itemfinder Poketch App. No guesswork at all: once you've found a hidden item, you know exactly how many steps to take to get it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
The best item finder will always be Gen IV's Itemfinder Poketch App. No guesswork at all: once you've found a hidden item, you know exactly how many steps to take to get it.

Gen 5 item finder was better as you could turn it on the bottom screen and it would detect and point towards the items while you were running, Gen 4 one only worked if where standing still and in the right area.

brinstar

Plus there were areas that Stoutland couldn't fit but there was an item hidden there, I just didn't like using him so I ended up forgoing looking for hidden items.

I also didn't like the lack of bike as it made one hand training, searching for Pokémon or egg hatching impossible.

If the Pokéride are to become a staple of the series I really hope that they at least keep the bike on, it was silly to even get rid of it in the first place as Tauros was still required to clear paths.

Eh? egg hatching was easier than ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8P9yumVb4

(seriously gamefreak, just give us instant hatching in postgame. this is stupid)

lupinko

Eh? egg hatching was easier than ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc8P9yumVb4

(seriously gamefreak, just give us instant hatching in postgame. this is stupid)

I wouldn't call that easier, ORAS and even XY were easier because you could use one hand or a coin which would break your 3DS circle pad.

Yeah I want instant hatching because I can already see which eggs are worth keeping with ESV checking. The rejects just eat up my time since you can't release eggs. :/

wmlk

Honestly, regarding the Item Finder thing, Game Freak just likes changing optional shit up for no reason some times. Keeps the game fresh to them, I guess.

I just can't envision them actually putting a mainstay in the main series like hidden items and then using Stoutland and going, "Yep, people are gonna love this!"

lupinko

I don't understand how Verlisify had more YT subs than Aaron Zheng, Wolfe Glick and Ray Rizzo combined.

I will admit in the beginning when getting back into Pokémon after a 13 year absence I did watch Verlisify's videos because I didn't know any better. But all he does is complain and doesn't really have the credentials to be giving off strats.

The three I mentioned are not only regional champs but also world champs.

It's like as if Lowtiergod was more popular than everybody else when it came to fighting games.

I don't understand how Verlisify had more YT subs than Aaron Zheng, Wolfe Glick and Ray Rizzo combined.

I will admit in the beginning when getting back into Pokémon after a 13 year absence I did watch Verlisify's videos because I didn't know any better. But all he does is complain and doesn't really have the credentials to be giving off strats.

The three I mentioned are not only regional champs but also world champs.

It's like as if Lowtiergod was more popular than everybody else when it came to fighting games.

I'm assuming most of his subs are there for the drama or don't know any better.

WPS

Wonder trade is full of really fake shinies, it turns out. I'm now on 5 of them. The first four could in theory be real (maybe they did raise it to level 98 exactly, carefully making sure not to go a single experience point further), but the last is so incredibly fake I'm surprised Game Freak didn't block it online.

Shiny Deoxys. Sure, can happen.

Level 100, Max IVs, fully EV trained. At this point, would have to be RNG'd, but ok.

6th gen native, caught in a dusk ball - don't think that can happen. I think shiny Deoxys have to come from the 3rd gen event.

Travelled through time from RSE Hoenn - Yeah no.

Alas, I felt that I had to release it.

Mr-Joker

Banned
So today was my 30th Birthday and my copy of Pokkén DX came so I had a play with my 6 years old cousin and...she trashed me 2-5 and she doesn't play video games and didn't know what the buttons to use to activate the Synergy Burst till I told her.

lupinko

Wonder trade is full of really fake shinies, it turns out. I'm now on 5 of them. The first four could in theory be real (maybe they did raise it to level 98 exactly, carefully making sure not to go a single experience point further), but the last is so incredibly fake I'm surprised Game Freak didn't block it online.

Shiny Deoxys. Sure, can happen.

Level 100, Max IVs, fully EV trained. At this point, would have to be RNG'd, but ok.

6th gen native, caught in a dusk ball - don't think that can happen. I think shiny Deoxys have to come from the 3rd gen event.

Travelled through time from RSE Hoenn - Yeah no.

Alas, I felt that I had to release it.

Yeah, Deoxys can only be shiny via the event from ELGFR, nowhere else. And Mew is even more specific since its event was Japan only.

Clefargle

Soooo,

I'm an expat in Europe. My NA 3DS won't accept the Salazzle distribution code. Anyone want a freebie? Alternatively, next Tuesday the Marshadow cards are going out here in the Netherlands. Anyone want to trade those for NA region marshadow codes?

Top Bottom