• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT14| They call it Halo

Woorloog

Banned
Btw, WTF is a Harvester? Why have we never heard of it before now, and why do the UNSC act like its a known thing (just like that new flying ship). I really wouldn't be surprised if it was something cut from SP...it just seems like a really big and random thing to introduce out of nowhere.c

According to Halopedia, it is what it is called. A resource extraction machine for refueling, construction materials and so on, used during long-term invasions. It seems the UNSC has encountered them before but they're not very important otherwise (from the player's perspective anyway), i guess.
Ghosts of Onyx may have featured one, wasn't Pegasi (something) a refueling planet for the Covenant fleets? The Spartan 3's destroyed the installation, wouldn't be surprised if it was a Harvester or group of Harvesters. Or specialized Harvester.

Alright, going to try and do this progressively. Bare with me here.

Spartan Ops: Episode Seven

-CG Cutscene-

Gek, overseeing the destruction from Glassman's detached harness, lets out a roar in frustration seeing that him and Thorne had managed to escape into the destroyed Sniper Alley. He is joined by a tempered Jul 'Mdama. They have a brief conversation.

Jul: "I did not see Glassman's body anywhere in the wreckage, brother."

Gek: "He escaped. None of the Elites survived."

Jul: "I see. A mere savant could not have detached the vest and escaped... it would seem our newfound Demon aided him in evading capture."

Jul surveys his surroundings once more, noticing the distant, broken pair of glasses. He contemplates for a moment, looking to the sky.

Jul: "This conflict will stagnate at this rate. If we are to advance our cause further, we must advance beyond simple terrorism. Prepare our Lich for takeoff to the closest Cruiser and set a course for Sanghelios."

Gek: "Where on Sanghelios, brother?"

Jul: "Vadam."

Gek: "But that would mean-"

Jul: "Correct."

"We will bring the Arbiter to Requiem to join our noble cause."

H A L O : I N F I N I T Y

Cut to UNSC Infinity. Still constraining Halsey, Palmer and Lasky are on an unspecified bridge.

Roland appears through an AI terminal.

Roland: "Captain, you know that Cruiser that jumped at approximately 1600 hours yesterday?"

Lasky: "It's back?"

Roland: "Correct. I can't track where it jumped to - it's too far for our remote sensors to process."

Palmer: "Well, whatever the reason, it's back now. Looks like it's time to kick some hingehead ass."

Halsey audibly scoffs, still seated, handcuffed.

Palmer gives her a questioning look of visible aggression.

Halsey: "These Sangheili, or 'Hingeheads' by your jarheaded observation, are not simply demons and heretics bent on annihilating us. They're a splinter faction, of course, but your propaganda is making a caricature of a noble species - they're not all devils and monsters. This faction, if the translation software was correct, refers to itself as a 'Covenant Remnant.' You seem to be forgetting that just months ago, we fought alongside their species. Without them, our victory on the Ark would have been questionable at most."

Palmer: "You seem to be forgetting you're the one in chains. If we had decided to make peace talks we all would have ended up like your precious Spartan-IIs."

Halsey gives her a look of pure anger. She is pissed.

Halsey: "Roland, do Spartan-IV MJOLNIR exoskeletons come equipped with an emergency Subterfuge Protocol?"

Roland: "Yes, ma'am."

Halsey: "UNSC AI Roland, initiate vocal override protocol #S-AL-314, authentification key 10141-026-SRB4695."

Roland: "Override confirmed, Authorized User Catherine Elizabeth Halsey."

Halsey: "Repeat, confirm protocol #S-AL-314 on SPARTAN Commander Sarah Palmer, insubordination detected."

Roland: "Override confirmed, complying."

Palmer looks at Halsey for a second, leering towards her.

Palmer: "What did you-"

In a split second, Palmer's armor flares a light red tinge beneath her shielding, forcing her into a solid "Armor Lock" stance, unable to move. She grunts with frustration but has been rendered immobile.

Lasky: "Roland! Emergency Override!"

Roland goes from his autonomous "controlled" state back to normal, but is confused, as though he blacked out. Lasky gives Roland a look of stern opposition.

Lasky: "Roland, do not provide Halsey with any further information unless permitted to directly." *Looks at Halsey with the same friendly, almost fatherly air he did Chief* "Listen, I understand this isn't the most ideal working situation and that you and these new SPARTANs are bound to have some bad blood. I've read all the black ink, I know you had enough trouble with the SPARTAN-IIIs. But unless we compromise, there's no way we'll be able to make heads or tails of this 'Remnant' faction or the Forerunners."

Halsey: "Very well, Captain. You seem... reasonable. If you helped get John back home, then you and the UNSC may not yet have my forgiveness - but you have my thanks."

Halsey loosens her cold demeanor slightly, in appreciation. Lasky gives a small smile in acknowledgement.

Halsey: "I am more than willing to discuss matters with you and attempt to find some more insight onto this spreading conflict, however - I have two requests."

Lasky and Roland exchange glances.

Lasky: "Yes?"

Halsey: "I know to you I'm just a war criminal, but if we're to get anywhere I need access to the UNSC databases on this ship. Schematics, topography, War Games simulations, everything. Until I get the full picture I won't be able to attempt to fashion us a fighting chance against this Remnant and these Prometheans, enigmatic as they are."

Lasky looks concerned for a brief moment before accepting it would be necessary.

Lasky: "Understood. And your second request?"

Halsey looks to Palmer, who had been out of camera since she was immobilized. They exchange heated glances.

Halsey: "Keep this meathead out of my sight."

Fade to black.

-Begin opening in-game cutscene of Spartan Ops, Chapter Seven, Episode One: Inquisition on Stratosphere.

A Phantom zooms through the pristine sky above a glittering ocean, dotted with suspended Forerunner sky pillars and even some small islands. Covenant air patrols are numerous with Phantoms and Liches flying around a few distant Carriers and even a Cruiser. The Infinity can be seen in the background similar to Shutdown, but it's very distant.

Miller, Voiceover: "Alright, Crimson, sorry for the command delay. Palmer's out again, last I saw she didn't seem too pleased. I didn't pry. Anyway, it's time to ditch that transport."

Roland, Voiceover: "Gonna need a bigger boat?"

Miller, Voiceover: "You read my mind. The sky's crawling with air control - grab whatever weapons you stocked that Phantom with and hijack a Lich. After that, we're going to go after the crown jewel - that Cruiser, the Mantle's Commendation."

Halsey, Voiceover: "From what I've pieced together of that Covenant intel you accessed previously, Remnant leader Jul 'Mdama attempted to bring an old friend, The Arbiter, to Requiem in order to further their cause."

Roland, Voiceover: "Let me guess, he's the exception that proves the rule, right? Arby didn't come willingly and now they've got him hostage?"

Halsey, Voiceover: "In layman's terms, yes. Your objective this time around is to clear out as much air traffic as you possibly can, make it to the heart of that Cruiser, and rescue him in one piece. He can probably shed some light on what happened to the Elites after the war and let us make some sense of these zealots."

Miller, Voiceover: "This is all happening a little fast, but... you heard the lady, Crimson. Time to take this fight to the skies."

Awakening Plays

The Phantom, at full speed, careens into an unobservant lich, causing them both to explode violently. Arcing over the wreckage are your Spartan and up to three more joining you in co-op, Jetpacking unharmed, SAWs in hand. You all land somersaulting into the central portion of a Lich, attracting some attention. You form a closed circle, back-to-back-to-back-to-back, armed with your light machine guns pointed at the now pissed-off Remnant troops facing you.

Yeah, that's right, you're fucking Jetpacking from Lich to Lich at high speed and gunning down whatever troops happen to be in them until you make your way to the Cruiser.

To be continued...

FyreWulff

Are you sure? At the time Forge World got a lot of hate for being a waste of space and that a lot of the map was pretty useless when it came to making a map.

I think it would be better if we got a flatland map that lot of people have wanted for some time. I wouldn't mind Halo 4 having Forge World but it would need a large flat area.

There were some questionable spots on it but the lack of FW is hurting the possibilities going forward. There's no real reason to not at least directly port it over to future Halo games. Unless of course you want to be able to charge people for Halo 2 maps again.

According to Halopedia, it is what it is called. A resource extraction machine for refueling, construction materials and so on, used during long-term invasions. It seems the UNSC has encountered them before but they're not very important otherwise (from the player's perspective anyway), i guess.
Ghosts of Onyx may have featured one, wasn't Pegasi (something) a refueling planet for the Covenant fleets? The Spartan 3's destroyed the installation, wouldn't be surprised if it was a Harvester or group of Harvesters. Or specialized Harvester.

Sounds cool, but is it at all related to a Scarab? It seemed to share many aesthetic similarities, and while I didn't see any Lekgolo worms it did have a mildly organic appearance.

Jetpack ruins any map.
Look up. Problem solved. You don't need an AA or perk equipped to counter it, nor do you need teammates or grenades to overcome it like hardlight shield. And as an AA it encourages the offense and flanking maneuvers that take the wearer out of cover and an easier target when used, instead of encouraging camping like camo.

As long as jetpacks aren't the only way to reach certain areas then its fine. Jetpack hiding spots and perches that can't be reached by ramps or jumps should be killzones/EMP zones though.

Yeah, that's right, you're fucking Jetpacking from Lich to Lich at high speed and gunning down whatever troops happen to be in them until you make your way to the Cruiser.
iu3jSJNwdWWOR.gif

Fuchsdh

Amazing. :_)

Alternate version has Halsey locking Palmer's armor so she can walk over and deliver an air cracking back hand across her face. Halsey says, "that's why they issue helmets, Spartan."

I'm pretty sure there's a Halo theorem that proves that the more a Spartan keeps their helmet on, the more badass they are.

Pooya

I think this is interesting;

http://www.polygon.com/2013/1/22/3904430/bungie-destiny-leak-good-thing
Polygon was recently invited to Bungie's Bellevue, Wash., headquarters for an exclusive day-long visit — the first time any press outlet has been to Bungie in years. We spoke with Staten, Parsons, award-winning audio director Marty O'Donnell, technology director Chris Butcher, studio manager Harold Ryan, Destiny sandbox designer Danny Bulla, Destiny interface designer Kevin McGinnis, community manager Eric Osborne, character animator Tom Sanocki, writer Eric Raab and more for exclusive, in-depth interviews on the culture of Bungie and the stress of following up Halo. You can read that feature this Thursday, Jan. 24, on Polygon.

mock if old. they interviewed all those people, there must be something? no?

Woorloog

Banned
Sounds cool, but is it at all related to a Scarab? It seemed to share many aesthetic similarities, and while I didn't see any Lekgolo worms it did have a mildly organic appearance.

Halopedia noted that Drones normally operate Harvesters. Other than that... no info.
All Covie stuff has somewhat organic appereance so don't read too much into that.

Striker

Active Camo and Jetpack already ruining the forge maps for me *sigh*
I spawned bottom of BR tower, and instantly there's three PV pings going off. Seeing things like Overshield, people calling in Snipers on BR tower, people spawning with Maulers, etc. it's downright awful. Don't feel like playing that playlist at all until a decent Slayer is put in or its mostly objectives. KotH on Despair is not fun, and is bad version of King on Warlock.

Look up. Problem solved.
r7Ya4a4.gif

IHaveIce

Banned
I spawned bottom of BR tower, and instantly there's three PV pings going off. Seeing things like Overshield, people calling in Snipers on BR tower, people spawning with Maulers, etc. it's downright awful. Don't feel like playing that playlist at all until a decent Slayer is put in or its mostly objectives. KotH on Despair is not fun, and is bad version of King on Warlock.

http://i.imgur.com/r7Ya4a4.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

Yeah lockout is the worst offender of the bunch.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Weird... The way that preview was written made it sound like there's not going to be a big countdown and reveal for Destiny. That they're just going to start talking. Huh.

That's really oversimplifying the problems with it, and you can basically excuse any troublesome game mechanic like that.

"Armor lock is horrible."
"Just wait it out. Problem solved."
I've gone into depth several times, including that post on why I don't think the jetpack is unbalanced or breaks maps. Maps play differently than in a non-jetpack universe, sure, thats obvious, and that's exactly the intent. But purely complaining that somebody with a jetpack has the ability to actually use that jetpack to fly through the air doesn't seem like a reasonable complaint.

When you jetpack, you raise yourself off of the ground, out of cover, and expose yourself. You create new sightlines for yourself at the same time you create new sightlines TO yourself. Your midair path is also more predictable than somebody on foot. Thats a very natural risk that applies to using the jetpack.

So yes, you have to worry about three dimensions, in all but enclosed spaces. As an AA it doesn't require any hard or soft counters, and it encourages its users to take the offense and flank. All it requires is situational awareness, so yes, look up.

The only time it breaks maps is when a jetpacker can reach a spot that other players cannot, and those spots should be removed or made into killzones.

Armor lock on the other hand has no risk in its use. It makes you invulnerable for a time, and there's no technique and nothing in the sandbox you can utilize to counter it. That's not balanced. With a jetpacker, you just shoot them like you would any player, and its actually easier to predict the trajectory of somebody in air than on the ground.

Tawpgun

That's really oversimplifying the problems with it, and you can basically excuse any troublesome game mechanic like that.

"Armor lock is horrible."
"Just wait it out. Problem solved."

Thank you. I hate when people think they have the magic solution to a problem.

"Boltshot is OP"
"No its not, just don't get into CQC fighting, use PV, use nades, dont go around corners etc etc etc"

Ghazi

I'm surprised by the number of people using Camo in Halo 4, I rarely saw it in Reach. Though that was probably because Sprint was an AA. While I like the idea of sprint being global for everyone it really makes choosing an AA easier because you get sprint and an extra. Imagine how many people would be using annoying AA's if they lost sprint, Answer: Not as many as there are now.

It feels like 2010 all over again.

Just wait until you see my Glassman x Gek fanfiction. I call it "Broken Glasses, Smokin' Asses."

Also look forward to HALO: Promethean Nights, an epic retelling of the Didact and the Master Builder's forbidden love story and the sequel to the critically-acclaimed HALO: Asslands. Part two of the Greg Twink Trilogy.

Gazzawa

Just wait until you see my Glassman x Gek fanfiction. I call it "Broken Glasses, Smokin' Asses."

Also look forward to HALO: Promethean Nights, an epic retelling of the Didact and the Master Builder's forbidden love story and the sequel to the critically-acclaimed HALO: Asslands. Part two of the Greg Twink Trilogy.

i need fan art to go with this.
This thread needs to go back to the days of hilarious fan fic and huge boobs discussion

blamite

Halopedia noted that Drones normally operate Harvesters. Other than that... no info.
All Covie stuff has somewhat organic appereance so don't read too much into that.

That sounds more like the Beacon from Evolutions.

I wonder why they didn't just center that mission around a Beacon instead? It would've made fiction fans happy to see something specifically mentioned just once in the extended fiction appear in-game, there would actually be some information in the world about what this thing was supposed to be and do, and it probably would've had a more Covenant-like aesthetic.

We're going back the Harvester one more time by the end of the season, so we better get some kind of explanation then.

If John was born and raised until the age of 6 on Eridanus II, trained and augmented the following 9 years on Reach, and then for the next few decades fought the Covenant and Flood on various planets and synthetic worlds about the galaxy (and beyond!), how the heck is Earth his home?

Top Bottom