• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3rd party console demos at Gamescom seem to be running on devkits

Papytendo

BSSRwBlCUAAFUoA.jpg:large

The only instance I've seen of this so far, but it is interesting. Also nice to see they are using Windows 7.
https://twitter.com/corentin_lamy/status/370581323775090688/photo/1

Edit: The bigger news.
Looks like a confirmation that Dual Shock 4 controllers will work on PC.

EDIT2: People are reporting that this is not the case at the main Sony booth, but at others.

FranXico

Multiplatform games are often built on PC and downported to both consoles.

Ubisoft has been seen doing the same.

Xater

Yes true. I have seen the dev kits. Not a big deal at this point if you quickly throw together a new build.

This is in EA's area right?

If it's not Sony's area it's 100% a devkit or PC, third parties don't bother with running on actual hardware.

That's how it works usually.

I never got why people cared about this. Unless a company is explicitly lying and saying its running on real hardware when it isn't this is a non story.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think you mean running on PC.

It would be great, from the point of view of gauging PS4 versions, if they were actually running on PS4 kits.

I don't think ANYONE expects games to be running on regular retail hardware at this point, obviously.

Raymo

They've been showing need for speed on PC with the ds4 for awhile now. This isn't the case for all games.

aly

Did'nt someone say that the 3rd parties were using PC's and actual hardware was only at Sony and Microsoft?

gtj1092

I think this is only in the 3rd party booths. According to two posters in the Gamescom impressions thread AC4 was on a PC in the ubi booth but on a Ps4 in the sony booth. Who knows...won't matter till the consoles release anyway.

Did'nt someone say that the 3rd parties were using PC's and actual hardware was only at Sony and Microsoft?

That's what I heard as well in the Gamescom impressions thread. Ubisoft was using devkits at their booths for Assassin's Creed Black Flag for PS4, but at the Sony booth it was running on PS4s.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks like a confirmation that Dual Shock 4 controllers will work on PC.

And if you can use that touchpad as a mouse on a PC then it would be perfect. Someone make it happen.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The new generations are essentially PCs in a box anyway.
Not true.

You can't build a PC like the PS4. It's a completely different memory architecture. It uses x86 yes, and a few years laptops and such will use that architecture but for now, it's not true.

Hana-Bi

Wait so a tweet of a pic of a PS4 controller attached to a demo booth of Need for Speed Rivals (which is an EA game) is proof all PS4 demos are running on devkits? They probably are, but this train of thought makes no sense.

This was proof enough for the X1 shitstorm at e3.

Theecliff

Banned
So is this the same for all PS4 games at Gamescom, or am I right in thinking that there'll be a few doing this and a few not?

JABEE

So they're all running on PS4 Dev-Kits except for NFS: Rivals?

I don't understand what OP is trying to say?

Borman

Trade shows always run dev kits or debug kits, how else do you expect unfinished code to run? Its been like that for generations. It would be a bigger issue if the majority, not just a select few, were running Windows or alpha kits

Prezhulio

a game currently in development for a yet released console is running on a devkit? i'm absolutely shocked.

also this is in no way confirmation that sony will support proper DS4 use on pc. i really hope they do though, as it was a hassle to use a DS3 on pc this go around for any meaningful game experience.

Orayn

Welp... looks like I'm buying a DS4 day 1 even if I'm not getting a PS4 day 1.

There's no guarantee of those DS4 drivers being available to regular joes like you and me, though...

I really hope they are, of course, but I'm not holding my breath. It could be like PS3 where there wasn't any good support for a couple of years.

This was proof enough for the X1 shitstorm at e3.

That was MICROSOFT THEMSELVES (first party) running Xbone games on PC.

This is THIRD PARTY running PS4 games on PC, like it's always at events.

I really don't know what the hell is going on and why was this tweeted like something important.

Top Bottom