• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, has your Xbox Live account been hacked/FIFA'd? Post here!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Alright, since gaming sites seem to not give a crap about the recent, what seems to be increase of Xbox Live hacks, I thought we'd set up a more organized official topic and compare notes to see if we can get any closer to how/why this is happening.

If your Xbox Live account has been hacked, please post the following info:

-The date it occurred
-Your "damages" (points spent, games played you don't own, etc.)
-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.)
-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months
-If your password, to your knowledge, was a unique one between your EA and MS account.
-How old your Gamertag/Live account is, and
-Your compensation, and whether it's been resolved or not.
-If your security question was changed, and if so, whether the new answer has Chinese characters.
-Did you have the 4-button security pass code enabled for your account? (thanks ukresistance!) (also can anyone confirm if this passcode is local console only or tied to the account?)

EDIT: the stats so far out of the 30 cases posted in this thread (as of post #95):

It seems a majority/almost all cases had EA accounts, however there's no indication of being "hacked" via having the same passwords between EA/MS accounts, since many had different passwords.

However this is the most interesting info I've seen so far:

ObiDin said:
*Edit: FYI, During the investigation I was told that my secret question for resetting my password was written in Chinese(which I don't speak or read/write) and allowed the person back into my account after I changed my password. I didn't even think to check that when changing my password.

If you have been hacked, can you please check with MS to see if your secret question has similarly been changed to a foreign language as well?

- Late September
- 10,000 points put on card ($125) Fifa 12 was played.
- Suspended and under investigation
- I think I might have a a couple. I have played EA games in the past.
- They were the same probably. All my passwords have been changed since this incident though.
- 4 years old.
- Hasn't been resolved by Microsoft yet but I called my bank the same day and had the funds returned to my account. I recommend everyone do this because you will be waiting a long time before Microsoft resolves anything.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
  1. 26 October, 2011
  2. 2800 points spent on Sims 3 PC, luckily I had removed credit card info months earlier.
  3. Called in the same day, account was suspended and was told it would take up to 5 weeks.
  4. Have an EA/Origin account, which I had accessed for Lord of Ultima and BF3 beta just a week before. I also had profile on Battlefield Heroes and the Bioware forums.
  5. Account information was probably the same, but now they're linked to different e-mails/passwords.
  6. Windows LIVE ID is from 2004.
  7. Account was fixed on 2 November 2011, and my points were refunded. Customer service was excellent.

I noticed this yesterday while on Xbox.com (I've become paranoid and check my profile page once a day to make sure there haven't been any logins). Hoping it's a new 2-step authentication for Windows/Xbox LIVE accounts.

N4Kpf.png

Good idea for a thread, but what do you hope to achieve? EA have already denied it's their fault and MS have also already denied it's their fault.

I guess what I'm saying is, how do you expect anyone to get to the bottom of this if both companies which could be to blame have already said they aren't. You'll collect evidence that points to both EA and MS, how will you/anyone be able to decide who is to blame?

Sorry if that shits on the thread, that's not my intention. As I said, it's a good idea for a thread, just so we can get idea of how many people have been hit, how long it takes to get your account back, etc, but I can't see it achieving anything to resolve this issue.

Lyphen said:
I noticed this yesterday while on Xbox.com (I've become paranoid and check my profile page once a day to make sure there haven't been any logins). Hoping it's a new 2-step authentication for Windows/Xbox LIVE accounts.

http://i.imgur.com/N4Kpf.png

That would be great, I've changed my password 4 times since these account hacks became widespread as I don't want to risk my account getting locked down with Skyrim's release looming!

Hanmik

Speedy for what its worth.. Please keep it to only one post in this thread.. Please.. Gaf can do a lot of good shit if they are allowed to do so.. Good idea for a OT chubi..

Zomba13

Speedymanic said:
Good idea for a thread, but what do you hope to achieve? EA have already denied it's their fault and MS have also already denied it's their fault.

I guess what I'm saying is, how do you expect anyone to get to the bottom of this if both companies which could be to blame have already said they aren't. You'll collect evidence that points to both EA and MS, how will you/anyone be able to decide who is to blame?

Sorry if that shits on the thread, that's not my intention. As I said, it's a good idea for a thread, just so we can get idea of how many people have been hit, how long it takes to get your account back, etc, but I can't see it achieving anything to resolve this issue.
I assume to get more people taking about this and taking note.
I mean of course both will say it's not their fault but it doesn't matter so much as whose fault it is, it's that neither seem to really care or want to do anything to prevent any more hacks.

Maybe if more big sites start reporting these happenings then MS or EA will actually take a look at what is happening and get to the bottom of this.

GarthVaderUK said:
That would be great, I've changed my password 4 times since these account hacks became widespread as I don't want to risk my account getting locked down with Skyrim's release looming!

A bit excessive, no?

This is what I meant when I spoke about fear-mongering a while back, people are becoming more paranoid about their accounts which can lead to making basic mistakes that see their accounts compromised.

If your password is different to the one you used for your EA account, you probably have nothing/very little to worry about. Just do the basic things, make sure you log into the email address you used for your GT at least once a day and log into Xbox.com at least once a day/couple of days.

I guess it's less of a pain for me as I have a WP7 and can check both of my accounts while on the move, but as long as you check both fairly regularly, you don't have much of anything to worry about.

Hanmik said:
Speedy for what its worth.. Please keep it to only one post in this thread.. Please.. Gaf can do a lot of good shit if they are allowed to do so.. Good idea for a OT chubi..

I should keep it to one post...why?

OldJadedGamer said:
From what I've read on it, it seems like phishing and not a hack.

Entirely possible, but this was mentioned by some in the other threads and most claimed they used entirely unique email addresses/passwords that weren't used anywhere else.

Zomba13 said:
I assume to get more people taking about this and taking note.
I mean of course both will say it's not their fault but it doesn't matter so much as whose fault it is, it's that neither seem to really care or want to do anything to prevent any more hacks.

Maybe if more big sites start reporting these happenings then MS or EA will actually take a look at what is happening and get to the bottom of this.

A good point, but a few major sites have already reported on this and both companies have denied it's their fault.

Anyway, that's beside the point. As I said, the thread is a good idea and I do sincerely hope it does help to resolve this issue.

aranth

- 4th November, 2011
- 9500 points used to buy Fifa Premium packs. 35 points in my gamerscore for Fifa 12 (achievements for buying and redeeming the packs).
- Called today (5th Nov), account under investigation.
- EA account with linked gamertag, multiple EA games played recently.
- Same email but different passwords. My xbox password was changed yesterday, so I had to recover the account and get a new password.
- Gamertag/Live ID from 2008.
- Issue under investigation. Estimated resolution time: 25 days (We'll see about that).

The fraud with the fifa packs must be quite profitable though, I've seen tons of people report this in the last month or so.

domlolz

Banned
chubigans said:
Alright, since gaming sites seem to not give a crap about the recent, what seems to be increase of Xbox Live hacks, I thought we'd set up a more organized official topic and compare notes to see if we can get any closer to how/why this is happening.

If your Xbox Live account has been hacked, please post the following info:

-The date it occurred
-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.)
-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months
-If your password, to your knowledge, was a unique one between your EA and MS account.

GAF has solved major issues before. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this too!

-Early October

-8000 points all spent on Fifa 12 gold packs, which I don't own. £17 x 4, £68

-Waiting for Microsoft to get back in touch, if we don't hear anything this week we will be getting back in touch, apparently they 'locked' my account although I can still use it? My gamertag wasn't gold anyway but we removed any credit card/debit card details on the account straight away after we realised what had happened.

-Yes I've used several EA games over the past few months and the website

-The passwords on my EA account and my Microsoft account were definitely different, same email address.

-My gamertag is two years old maybe? Is there anyway to check?

-Nothing, still waiting on Microsoft

epmode

If this sort of thing is being accomplished through social engineering, Microsoft will almost certainly have a record of the affected account calling in multiple times for a password reset. ..unless they don't tie each call to a gamertag. ..which would be insane.

Zoe

chubigans said:
Nope, silver account.

domlolz said:
-Waiting for Microsoft to get back in touch, if we don't hear anything this week we will be getting back in touch, apparently they 'locked' my account although I can still use it? My gamertag wasn't gold anyway but we removed any credit card/debit card details on the account straight away after we realised what had happened.

Looks like silver accounts aren't safe :\

Olden44

Neo Member
- 11/03/11

-A total of 8000 MSP. I happened to be checking my emails at the same time the transactions occurred so I called XBL support immediately. As I was talking to the rep the hacker was spending the points on 3 On Demand (MvC3, Crysis 2, and ProtoType) and 3 Indie games (Total Miner: Forge, Techno Chopper, and World Wars II ). I am not sure if it made a difference but I was able to remove these from my Download queue. I hope that prevents this asshat from playing these game at least.

-Was placed under investigation and said it woudl take 20-25 days to resolve and they have suspended my account until it has been completed.

- I do have an EA account that I recently used to redeem BF3 rewards via the Dr Pepper promotion.

- It is unique HOWEVER I had to log into my XBL account through the promotional site.

- Opened my account in 2007

- Unresolved at this time.

The thing that bothered me most (aside from the actual hacked account) was the fact that I noticed an erroneous email was added to the account when I was going through the password reset function as I was waiting on the phone with XBL support. After doing a quick google search more than one page of hits were returned. In every single instance the same email was used to hack an XBL account going back as far as July of this year.

It is me or doesn't it seem that MS could easily flag this email address and prevent the hacker from going through with the purchases? OR are they intentionally allowing this email to be used in hopes of tracking down and busting this person or more likely group of people?

- October 11
- 10,000 points put on card ($125)
- Suspended and under investigation
- 5 years old.

Here is something I posted about my current situation in the "Wow was my account hacked" thread:

I'm really starting to hate Microsoft. So my account was hacked about a month ago and $125 were spent on points. I got the email notification at work so I called and had my account frozen and started up the unauthorized access claim. They needed the console ID and serial number but I wasn't at home so I told them I'd call back after I got off work and give that information to them. I did this.

About a week ago I called to check the status on the claim and spoke to a representative who said its still user investigation and will take awhile longer. Then yesterday I get a voicemail from Microsoft saying they need a few more pieces of information from me. So I call them and find out that they never got the console ID or serial number in their system after I fucking told them it the day I was hacked. So I'm looking at 20-25 days again.

Can someone direct me to the forums where you are supposed to be able to check the status of your claim? I've just been calling.

domlolz

Banned
Speedymanic said:
Offering some sound advice adds nothing to the thread?

Don't be silly.

Seems like damage control to me (more so the last thread) and pointless speculation (not you, other people). Let people post in this thread if they've been compromised and see if a pattern emerges, the less white noise the better (like this very post)

Seriously, how many threads about this does one forum need?

All you're going to establish here is that the only thing the hacked people have in common is an account on NeoGAF. You need a hell of a lot more information if you're going to establish any other link.

Even obvious questions like "have you done a comprehensive search of your system for keyloggers?" or something. "Where else have you used the same password?" Loads of things. The questions at the moment seem to assume an EA hack, rather than trying to establish what the cause may actually be.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Zoe said:
Looks like silver accounts aren't safe :\
Oh. :\

Well I only use point cards and dont have a CC linked to my account...I think I'll change my password anyways to be safe.

domlolz said:
Seems like damage control to me and pointless speculation (more so the last thread). Let people post in this thread if they've been compromised and see if a pattern emerges, the less white noise the better (like this very post)

Of course a pattern is going to emerge, I was asking how we/anyone will be able to resolve this issue when it becomes clear it's either MS and/or EA.

I imagine it's the same reason why many sites which did report on this haven't followed up on the story. When two companies that might be to blame both deny they are at fault, what can you really do?

Anyway, I'm out. Good idea for a thread, hope it manages to resolve the issue.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
Got hacked October 29, 2011. 1200 points were spent. Under investogation, FIFA was played, only used Origin for BF3 beta

MS really fucked up somewhere. There is clearly a gaping security hole and they refuse to address it. At least Sony shut down PSN to protect its customers

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Speedymanic said:
Of course a pattern is going to emerge, I was asking how we/anyone will be able to resolve this issue when it becomes clear it's either MS and/or EA.

I imagine it's the same reason why many sites which did report on this haven't followed up on the story. When two companies that might be to blame both deny they are at fault, what can you really do?

The proper thing, blame them both.

It was because EAs arrogance that the networks are connected

It was because Microsofts desire to get a foothold in online gaming that they agreed to the conditions in order for EA to go on Xbox live

Even if it's a hack, the idea to have an interconnect between the two was stupid to begin with. I trust Microsoft networks, I don't trust EAs or either of their customer service entities to maintain a secure environment.

jfkgoblue

I was "fifa'd" luckily the "hacker" didnt buy more points or change my password, so i only lost 980 MSP, rather just lose the 12 bucks then go through the hassle of getting back my points

epmode

So these threads have kept me from adding a point card to my account for a few months now. I've avoided a few impulse buys already!

Since there's no way that I'm leaving more than 400 unspent MS points on my account, I'm only buying in when I can find ~4000 points worth of content that I REALLY want. Might be a while!

- June 10th, 2011
- 12000 MS points and about $140 dollars, not including Overdraft fees
- My account was "returned" about two months after it was under investigation
I've had an EA account for years, but almost never used it. The last time I used my account was for Need For Speed Hot Pursuit.
- My password was NOT unique between the two acounts
- My gamertag has been in use since 2005.
- I have NOT received compensation from either my bank or Microsoft.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
-September 12, 2011
-10000 MS points. Caught it within minutes so no Fifa stuff.
-4000 points still not refunded (Note the date this happened), after 3 different emails and 10 business day waits telling me it would be. And I stupidly had my debit on there, so I have to deal with MS for this shit since theres no protection for debit.
-Have an EA account, only recent EA game played is Mirror's Edge
-Believe they were different. Not sure, haven't logged into me EA account in a long time.
-Roughly 3 years old now.
-2 months of xbox live, and while the hacking itself has been resolved, I'm still waiting on the 4000 point refund nearly 2 months later.

spoonztt

- November 1st
- 3200 points spent on FIFA Packs
- Account is under investigation
- I have an Origin account for BF3 using the same email but the password is different to my XBL one.
- Account since 2009

I reverted to XBL silver in late october, only reason I even noticed is I tried to play SSF4 AE on PC and couldn't log in to the account. Called MS immediately (thank goodness for MagicJack)

Babalu.

-The date it occurred

-around january-march 2011

-bought around 8000 points from my Credit card and bought that family account thing.

-My account was closed for a couple months while they investigated. I had my credit card immediately deny the charges when it happened so I lost no money. Microsoft was able to get me my account back but they never changed it back from a family account, whatever that is. my password was changed but for some reason I still cant log into the xbox site with it. I've been too lazy to call them these last 6 months to get it working but whatever.

-Usual password I used all over the place

- made around 2008 i think

- I got my account back, with a few more points then I remember i think. like 80 or something. They gave me a 3 month pass for xbox live since my account was down for a couple months.

I had just moved into a new house when it happened and I didn't even have internet yet so It really meant nothing to me. I didn't play any games for like a 6 month period anyways. If it happened now, I think I would be really pissed about not having it for 2 months. So i can feel you people, but for me it was nothing.

-

- August 2011, caught it in September 2011
- 6000 points, sitting in the balance, were redeemed on GFW titles. (BFBC2 and DA2) I did not have a credit card on the account.
- I did play Madden 2010 and Army of Two in the Spring of 2011.
- My login/password combination is unique to XBL and not shared with my EA account.
- I have had the account since 2006.
- My account was locked for over a month while they investigated it.
- After a month and 5 days, they unlocked it and restored the points.
- I was given one month of XBL gold as compensation.

Piano

Banned
-Mid July
-$120 in MS Points, all spent on FIFA DLC
-Under its second round of investigation
-Have an account but haven't used it in quite a while
-At the time I think they shared a password
-6 years old
-They finished my investigation and told me no fraudulent purchases were detected. I called again to complain and they opened a second investigation. Still haven't gotten any refund.

robotnjik

- Hacked on 19/07/2011
- 2200 points had and they are spent on FIFA packs (never played FIFA and don't have game). I'm using pre paid cards so no cc number submitted (luckily)
- Sent emails and via twitter explained what happen to support, but cause my country isn't supported on XBL, they told me, it will take time and calls to see what is issue. Didn't bothered to go through all that shit.
- Have EA account created with B:BC2, I think it was same email and pass as XBL account. After that changed all email/pass details.
- Account since 2008

I noticed that something is wrong when tried to connect to XBL and gamertag was corrupted. I played Shadows of Damned offline before that and after few weeks went online and got this message about gamertag. Reverted it from XBL and noticed that last game I played was FIFA. Strange, but thought maybe my brother played with friends or something. On account had 2200 points and didn't check them. Few days later decided to buy ilomilo via xbox.com and then noticed that points are gone. I think in that time this hack issue wasn't that wide spread and connected to EA, but it looks like that there is some link.

Got hacked today, redeemed a 4000 pt card yesterday and was unable to access my account today. Recovered and point balance was zero, thankfully they didn't dip into my bank account. FIFA was the last played game on my list too, I should note that my EA sports account PW was the same as my Live PW. I really hope EA/Microsoft can figure something out.

Called and they were helpful, offered a 1 month gold token for when my account gets taken over by the investigation team and was told this could take about a month at least. Definitely a pretty shitty thing to have happen, but I think I got off a bit lucky.

ObiDin

Aug. 24
6000 MS Points purchased
Caught it right after the purchase from the email notification of the purchase and changed my password through xbox.com
Account suspended for about a month during the investigation
I was given a 1-month gold card during the investigation
After it was over, money returned to my bank and 2 months of prepaid cards granted for the trouble.

I do think I had an EA account back when Mass Effect 2 came out.

*Edit: FYI, During the investigation I was told that my secret question for resetting my password was written in Chinese(which I don't speak or read/write) and allowed the person back into my account after I changed my password. I didn't even think to check that when changing my password.

goMaki

Although this didn't happen to me, it did happen to my boyfriend. Since he can't post on these forums, I'd like to post what he wrote about what happened to him.

-October 15th 8:54pm PST. I noticed after receiving an email from EA’s Origin regarding a password reminder/reset which I got at 11:18pm PST that same night.
-$74.99 for the purchase of 6000 Microsoft points. They were successful in purchasing 1 FIFA Gold Pack with points I already had. Microsoft was quick enough to notice the purchase was suspect and stopped them from continuing to charge me ( my bank told me there were 17 attempts after the first successful one ) or use the 6000 points they bought. FIFA 12 was played and they earned two achievements forever scarring me with a sports game. As well The Darkness was played, this was done offline but still showed up before they played FIFA 12.

-My account is currently suspended and under investigation. I contacted Microsoft on October 16th and was told it would take 25 days. Since then I’ve contacted them for an update, but have gotten the same 25 days spiel.
-I have an EA/Origin account which I used most recently to play Crysis 2 on my 360 on October 12th. Both my Windows Live ID as well as my EA/Origin account uses the same email address.

I’ve played lots of EA titles: Crysis 2 (PC/360) Burnout Crash (360) Battlefield 1943 (360) Portal 2 (PC/360) Bulletstorm (360) Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (360) Battlefield Bad Company 2 (360) Mass Effect 2 (360) Medal of Honor (360) and more. All of these games are required to be married to your gamertag as well as an EA account for server access.

-Both passwords were different
-January 2006 is when I created my current gamertag
-Currently Unresolved

My honest opinion would be to take down the gold packs as well as other consumables like Madden coins. At least for the time being so that these people who are doing this aren’t profiting off of us. The only people who are winning here are EA and the hackers who are basically laundering stolen money for digital consumable goods just to resell them and walk away with clean money. I’m sure EA doesn’t want to lose that revenue stream, but until we know for sure how and where the leak is I’d say it’s for everyone’s safety.

For those specifically with a GFWL (Games for Windows Live) account. Please note you’re not safe as well. If you have an account with a credit card linked to just GFWL you would be mistaken. When GFWL merged with Xbox.com so did your credit card information. It’s how mine was used to purchase points even though I did not have my credit card associated with my Xbox 360.

toythatkills said:
Has anyone actually contacted the police about this, out of interest?

They'd probably treat it the same as credit card fraud. You can report the crime and they'll probably give you a C.R.N (standard procedure used to be to go to the bank and not police, but I think that's since changed, might be wrong though), but as with CC fraud, it won't be investigated in any meaningful way due how unlikely it is they'll ever catching the person/s responsible.

Speedymanic said:
They'd probably treat it the same as credit card fraud. You can report the crime and they'll probably give you a C.R.N (standard procedure used to be to go to the bank and not police, but I think that's since changed, might be wrong though), but as with CC fraud, it won't be investigated in any meaningful way due how unlikely it is they'll ever catching the person/s responsible.
Flooding Microsoft with CRNs might make them take notice, though, is all.

-The date it occurred: October 24, 2011.

-Your "damages" (points spent, games played you don't own, etc.): About 6,000 prepaid MS points were stolen (so the bank can't help me here) and spent on Fifa DLC. Fifa was played on my account, 3 achievements worth a total of 35 gamerscore were earned. My password wasn't changed but I had to recover my account back to my console. On Xbox.com I watched the thief spend the last 1,000 or so points while I tried to recover my account. And that recovery took many attempts before it worked.

-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.): My account is suspended. It's been suspended since October 26. I just called support two nights ago and they said my account was still not under investigation yet.

-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months: I have many EA games and have played many EA demoes on 360, PS3, Wii and PC (no Fifa or EA Sports titles though). I'm signed up on Origin. I played the Battlefield Heroes thing way back and I'm on the Bioware Social Forums. I know those were hacked.

-If your password, to your knowledge, was a unique one between your EA and MS account. Yes, they were unique.

-How old your Gamertag/Live account is, and: I've had my account since mid 2007. I'm pretty invested in it.

-Your compensation, and whether it's been resolved or not.: No compensation yet and my account problems haven't been resolved yet. I've been calling support constantly for updates on my case and asking (in some cases demanding) for it to be expedited. And I've been trying to get attention on the Xbox Live Support Forums (it seems that if you make enough noise there you can get your case escalated). No luck though.

Lyphen said:
  1. 26 October, 2011
  2. Account was fixed on 2 November 2011, and my points were refunded. Customer service was excellent.
Wow, how do I get help like this?!

Spruchy

Just happened to me, 8k+ points awesome. Guess I got to spend my Saturday afternoon calling Microsoft.

-The date it occurred 11/4/2011
-Your "damages" (points spent, games played you don't own, etc.) Over 8000 points
-Your current situation with MS (if your account is suspended, under investigation, etc.) 25 day investigation
-If you have an EA account of any kind, or have played any EA games in the past few months Yes
-If your password, to your knowledge, was a unique one between your EA and MS account. Most likely the same
-Your compensation, and whether it's been resolved or not. 5 years on xbl, being investigated

toythatkills said:
Flooding Microsoft with CRNs might make them take notice, though, is all.

For sure and they are probably already being flooded with them. Standard practice nowadays is to contact your bank who take of everything from refunding the money to contacting the police who, I assume, issue a CRN for insurance purposes. (at least that's my understanding of the procedure, but I admit my knowledge in the area is very limited and I might be wrong.)

Top Bottom