• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election - 8th June 2017 |OT| - The Red Wedding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great OP Dan!

One thing though - UKIP currently has zero seats, since their one MP changed to independent. However, I understand that the OP's based on the 2015 results.

I don't know whether I should vote SNP or Labour but my city will be SNP anyway. But I still want to vote, hate it when people complain about shit but don't bother voting.

tomtom94

Would even that be enough?

The Daily Mail would claim Theresa May was eating a baby to stick it to EU bureaucrats and demonstrate British freedoms, local Conservative groups would schedule baby-eating workshops for the end of the week, UKIP would protest that the Conservatives weren't eating enough babies and Jeremy Corbyn would issue a strongly-worded statement condemning eating of all kinds.

I voted for Labour under Ed Miliband in the last election, because I did not support Cameron and Osborne's extreme austerity programme which was obviously a cover to shrink the state to the bare minimum.

Will be voting for Theresa May this time round though, there's very few women in politics and May is more pro-government intervention than Cameron. And since Corbyn is so bloody awful, it's a no-brainer for me as a centrist.

StayDead

Just put in your postcode to get your constituency if you don't already know it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies

Welp.

Conservative , with candidate Oliver Dowden, have the following results:
29,696 total votes taken.
59.3% share of the total vote
+3.3% change in share of the votes
Labour , with candidate Richard Butler, have the following results:
11,235 total votes taken.
22.4% share of the total vote
+3.7

Looks like I've gotta vote Labour. I voted Lib Dem last time.

I voted for Labour under Ed Miliband in the last election, because I did not support Cameron and Osborne's extreme austerity programme which was obviously a cover to shrink the state to the bare minimum.

Will be voting for Theresa May this time round though, there's very few women in politics and May is more pro-government intervention than Cameron. And since Corbyn is so bloody awful, it's a no-brainer for me as a centrist.

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

King_Moc

Banned
The Daily Mail would claim Theresa May was eating a baby to stick it to EU bureaucrats and demonstrate British freedoms, local Conservative groups would schedule baby-eating workshops for the end of the week, UKIP would protest that the Conservatives weren't eating enough babies and Jeremy Corbyn would issue a strongly-worded statement condemning eating of all kinds.

Sorry, but this is clearly ridiculous. A strongly worded statement from Jeremy Corbyn???

Maztorre

So you're voting for more austerity.

Welp.

+3.7

DOES NOT COMPUTE.

https://www.theguardian.com/busines...n-sunderland-averts-catastrophic-consequences

Plus I liked her idea of reforming corporate governance to put employees on the board. It's a pity that she didn't go through with it in the end (probably due to slim majority and headache of Brexit). But I think it's obvious that her political leanings are far more centrist than Cameron and co.

PJV3

I struggle with the Tories becoming these people prepared to use the power of the state to shape the economy. She already backed down on workers in the boardroom stuff.

Talk is cheap if you never get pulled up for it.

DBT85

Welp.

+3.7

Might be worth looking at previous elections too. 2015 saw a rise of UKIP because of the EU shit and a staggering drop for LibDem because of them getting in to bed with the Cons. My constituency was like this. I'm guessing they'll see a bit of a bounce back this time around so for me its an option. If LibDems have always been crap in your area though then yeah, Labour's your only choice to try and get at the Cons.

I don't know whether I should vote SNP or Labour but my city will be SNP anyway. But I still want to vote, hate it when people complain about shit but don't bother voting.

Glasgow? It's going to be really interesting to watch the SMSM over the next few weeks and see if it turns voters on or off? We've voted what, seven times in the last three years? Voter apathy is real.

StayDead

Might be worth looking at previous elections too. 2015 saw a rise of UKIP because of the EU shit and a staggering drop for LibDem because of them getting in to bed with the Cons. My constituency was like this. I'm guessing they'll see a bit of a bounce back this time around so for me its an option. If LibDems have always been crap in your area though then yeah, Labour's your only choice to try and get at the Cons.

Been Conservative since it was formed in 1983, bugger. Labour it is!

Well there are going to be cuts, but it is obvious from Philip Hammond and Theresa May that they are less wedded to the idea of balancing the deficit, and clearly not afraid to pump money back into the economy rather than use it solely to fund tax cuts which Cameron and Osborne prioritised. Indeed, I thought Hammond's reform of the National Insurance contributions for self-employed was a sensible and long overdue policy. Pity again, they backtracked.

TeddyBoy

St. Helens North is a Labour majority of about 17,000 for Labour so I'm using my vote for protest against Brexit and voting Lib Dems.

I think political exhaustion is huge this year, this'll be the fourth year of major political turmoil and I think it's starting to take it's toll on people.

Conservative Party seats: 431
Green Party seats: 2
Labour seats: 120
Lib Dem seats: 22
SNP seats: 55
Plaid Cymru seats: 3
UKIP seats: 0
Independently held seats: 0
Seats held by other parties: 19

BONUS:
Labour wipe-out in Scotland? Yep
More Conservative votes than Labour in Scotland? Yeppity yep
More Plaid Cymru seats than Labour in Wales? Nope
The Portillo award goes to..? Whazzat?
First resignation of the night? No
How many party leaders will resign? None
Seat for Nuttall? No

tomtom94

Just did the maths and worked out that A) I live in a student area B) it will be term time and C) Lib Dems were apparently <1,000 in 2005 though were well off in 2015 (Labour safe seat, nearest rivals were the Tories). I will be thinking this one through carefully.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Portillo Award is something like: "most senior/high profile MP to be unseated", named after Michael Portillo, once seen as future leader of the Conservative Party, was unseated in a shock upset in 1997. The more relevant reference for the younger generation might be the Ed Balls Award.

PJV3

St. Helens North is a Labour majority of about 17,000 for Labour so I'm using my vote for protest against Brexit and voting Lib Dems.

I think political exhaustion is huge this year, this'll be the fourth year of major political turmoil and I think it's starting to take it's toll on people.

It will be so worth it in the end.
I'm expecting an increase in consumption* as a result.

*the disease
That is an old victorian joke I thought I would give a whirl.

spuckthew

Guess I'm voting Lib Dem as Con won it off them last time in my area by a very small margin. If I was still living with my parents there'd almost be no point in voting...south Surrey is a Tory cesspit.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
The most interesting thing about this election is where the UKIP votes go. I wonder if those people will just not bother, vote Con or Labour. They're not going to vote Lib Dem so it could mean some really close results are thrown wide open.

DBT85

Been Conservative since it was formed in 1983, bugger. Labour it is!

Don't worry about who won, look at who came second for the last 4 or 5 elections. If it was always Labour then you know what you want to do. If it used to be LibDem every time but only last year was Labour, then you might need to think some more.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ntral-to-debate-as-he-plots-to-win-back-seats

Was this posted yet? Farron has now come out and said he doesn't believe being gay is a sin.

Two years ago in response to a question on Channel 4 News, he responded: ”We are all sinners." The remark was raised again in an interview with Channel 4 News on Tuesday night, and in the Commons where, asked again whether he believed being gay was a sin, Farron replied: ”No I do not."

Asked whether he felt he was being pressed on the issue because of his Christianity, he said: ”It may be, I don't get to choose the questions people ask me. All I can do is be absolutely open about my belief in the fundamental equality of every human being, my passionate belief in fighting for equality where there isn't equality."

Describing himself as ”a liberal to my fingertips", Farron said his defining cause in life was ”celebrating people's right to be who they are, to love who they love, to marry who they marry".

He said equal marriage legislation was progress but there was further work to be done. ”It doesn't include full equal marriage for people who are transgender and our fight for rights and freedom will continue," he said.

We should never be complacent about freedoms that have been hard fought for LGBT people, and for other minorities too, including religious minorities, protecting people's rights to be who they are."

King_Moc

Banned
The most interesting thing about this election is where the UKIP votes go. I wonder if those people will just not bother, vote Con or Labour. They're not going to vote Lib Dem so it could mean some really close results are thrown wide open.

Tories have successfully marketed themselves as the 'brexit' party, and are making this election all about that. So probably them.

disco

I'm in Westminster... Yep. I usually vote Green or Liberal Democrat... but what's the point? Plus I'm actually living in Dusseldorf until September so I might not bother with any of it. Why don't they change the electoral system to the same one as Brexit instead... *I don't need a serious reply on why that isn't a good idea - it's just hyperbole on the awful game of baccarat that's happening in UK politics at the minute where no voter of any affliation is actually being heard or agreeing wholeheartedly with their party imho. You'll have Brexiters voting Tory but hating the Tories, Tories voting Tory but hating Brexit, Labour supporters voting Labour but hating Brexit and/or Corbyn, myself probably voting Lib Dem/Green because I care about their policies and Brexit repulses me but know they won't get anywhere.

Maztorre

Well there are going to be cuts, but it is obvious from Philip Hammond and Theresa May that they are less wedded to the idea of balancing the deficit, and clearly not afraid to pump money back into the economy rather than use it solely to fund tax cuts which Cameron and Osborne prioritised. Indeed, I thought Hammond's reform of the National Insurance contributions for self-employed was a sensible and long overdue policy. Pity again, they backtracked.

If you actually believe that the Tories aren't going to continue their ideological pursuit of austerity then you will soon get the government you deserve.

As a N.I. resident eager to get the fuck out of the shit show that the UK is fast becoming, I hope you all keep ploughing ahead on your current trajectory. You are delivering the kind of mandate for Irish nationalism I thought I'd never see in my lifetime.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you actually believe that the Tories aren't going to continue their ideological pursuit of austerity then you will soon get the government you deserve.

As a N.I. resident eager to get the fuck out of the shit show that the UK is fast becoming, I hope you all keep ploughing ahead on your current trajectory. You are delivering the kind of mandate for Irish nationalism I thought I'd never see in my lifetime.

...the DUP are the majority party in Northern Ireland and well to the right of the Conservatives?

TimmmV

Portillo Award is something like: "most senior/high profile MP to be unseated", named after Michael Portillo, once seen as future leader of the Conservative Party, was unseated in a shock upset in 1997. The more relevant reference for the younger generation might be the Ed Balls Award.

There is no chance whatsoever that it will happen, but saw this tweet earlier and it made me dream

https://twitter.com/hrtbps/status/854582496704573440?s=08

TimmmV

Not that it'd ever happen (fuck, it'd be more likely to happen with Labour), but I presume if that happens the deputy leader (which according to Wikipedia is Hammond) becomes PM?

I think in that event the Conservatives have another leadership election and whoever wins that is the new PM. But I daresay there are more knowledgeable people on here who will be able to say whether thats wrong or not!

King_Moc

Banned
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Not that it'd ever happen (fuck, it'd be more likely to happen with Labour), but I presume if that happens the deputy leader (which according to Wikipedia is Hammond) becomes PM?

The Prime Minister doesn't have to be an MP. There's no law stipulating this. They are whoever can command the confidence of the House of Commons. Technically, if May lost her seat but the Conservatives won an enormous great majority, they could just make her Prime Minister anyway. We could make Harry Styles PM if the House of Commons thought that was okay.

In fact, technically, the Act of Settlement 1701 banned MPs from even becoming ministers, never mind Prime Minister - you could not be both an MP and hold an office of profit under the crown. But the later Robert Walpole used his influence over the judiciary at the time to have this act interpreted as referring to the offices of the crown concerned with the Crown's profits, and this has never been challenged since, meaning one of the most important aspects of the parliamentary system (the lack of separation between the legislature and executive) rests on one of the most flimsy pieces of common law of all time.

...but realistically, the Conservatives would have a super-short election to be able to pick a leader.

For more trivia: MPs are actually forbidden from resigning. You can only leave the job at the behest of the electorate, or by becoming ineligible to be an MP. So to "resign", MPs are actually appointed to the position of Crown Steward and Bailiff of the three Chiltern Hundreds of Stoke, Desborough, and Burnham - which is an office intended to manage the profits of the crown, thereby making them ineligible to be MPs. This is why you sometimes hear of MPs 'taking the Chiltern Hundreds' when they step down.

Again, this is due to Robert Walpole being a sneaky bastard and inventing most of the foundations of our parliamentary system.

If your against brexit and in England you have to vote libdem anything else is pointless.

The best that could happen is a lib resurgence, corbyn ousted, a Lib Dem / Labour coalition where the anti brexit labour member outnumber the pro.... and fuck it.

It's just gonna happen anyway. Shit electoral system and no opposition party apart from the SNP.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

Conversation with a voter this evening ...

Me: So who are you going to vote for?
Her: UKIP
Me: But why? Their only policy is Brexit and that's already happening.
Her: I think Nigel Farage would make a brilliant Prime minister, he tells it like it is
Me: So if you were in America you'd have voted for Donald Trump then?
Her: What do you think I am, stupid?

2a4.gif

On the 8th, the child of Xenu will feast.. let the blood run deep.

Thats where I am from, Billinge Represent!

DBT85

Conversation with a voter this evening ...

Me: So who are you going to vote for?
Her: UKIP
Me: But why? Their only policy is Brexit and that's already happening.
Her: I think Nigel Farage would make a brilliant Prime minister, he tells it like it is
Me: So if you were in America you'd have voted for Donald Trump then?
Her: What do you think I am, stupid?

That's a carbon copy of nearly every conversation I've had with a Brexiter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom