• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project Spark (F2P) will NOT require XBL Gold

Mike Lescault (Team Dakota Community Manager) confirmed on reddit that Project Spark will be completely free to play on any platform, and will not require a Gold membership.
I believe this is the first F2P Xbox One game that has been announced not to require Gold ***certain online features are still TBA, read bottom

If you haven't heard of Project Spark before and you're interested in a game about making and playing community creations then you should check out the Project Spark Info thread.

http://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/com...ark_convinced_my_brother_to_pick_up_a/ccoq44o
ZHRwyYJ.png

There is also this:
During E3, we announced that the core Project Spark experience would be free-to-play, and would not require a Gold membership. We'll be sharing more details as we get closer to release. Gold membership generally provides a tremendous amount of value, and for past Xbox titles, has been required for specific product features such as multiplayer.

They haven't formally announced any multiplayer component yet, but it seems like if there is one announced, it will probably require Gold.

kadotsu

Banned
Does the game have online MP? I will applaud MS if Free users will get the exact same F2P experience as Gold.

tensuke

This is good news!
Looking forward to checking it out on PC at some point anyway, it looks kind of cool, but I don't really know a whole lot about it.

But what about online? Is it online only?
It is a downloadable title, not online only.

I asked Mike for some clarification a few days ago, and he said this:
Gold membership generally provides a tremendous amount of value, and for past Xbox titles, has been required for specific product features such as multiplayer.

They haven't formally announced any multiplayer component yet, which is why the answer is a bit vague.
But I'd guess it is safe to say that if there is a multiplayer component, it will require Gold.

UNCMark

Banned
Gold not required to play it. But is Gold required to upload levels and/or share video clips of the stuff you create?

Probably because it isn't Online Multiplayer only. Games like Happy Wars doesn't need Gold either to play Single Player, if I recall correctly.

F2P games AREN'T required on Xbox 360 to have Gold, why would it need it on Xbox One? Was this some assumption going around here?

Why? Only multiplayer is locked behind gold, this is how it's always been for games on Xbox. Would make sense that F2P+Single Player mode= Can play without gold. F2P+Multiplayer only = Need Gold to access Multiplayer, not to download.

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong. Just tested it. Holy shit Microsoft what the fuck. Tried playing Happy War's single player on a spare silver account and got this error.

Glad to see Microsoft changed their stances on this, but wow, really shitty policy on the 360.

kadotsu

Banned

Actually no. The question here is if F2P online MP requires Gold because the PS4 doesn't require Plus for that. So you essentially posted non news because Spark (until they confirm free MP) is just a continuation of current policies of XBL.

It also makes apps behind Gold even more ridiculous.

Wow, that's pretty awesome. Is this the first Xbox(360/One) game with online capabilities that didn't require XBL Gold?

FFXI and PSO didn't need gold. I assume that was to garner some goodwill towards a new platform. obviously that changed with MS's refusal to allow a port FFXIV and allowing silver users to play online.

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong. Just tested it. Holy shit Microsoft what the fuck. Tried playing Happy War's single player on a spare silver account and got this error.

Glad to see Microsoft changed their stances on this, but wow, really shitty policy on the 360.

this is why I'm skeptical of what MS is doing. who's to say down the road they change their policy and we're back to that very same situation.

Actually no. The question here is if F2P online MP requires Gold because the PS4 doesn't require Plus for that. So you essentially posted non news because Spark (until they confirm free MP) is just a continuation of current policies of XBL.

It also makes apps behind Gold even more ridiculous.

I've seen posters under the impression that all F2P games are behind the paywall. Hell, there were posters in that reddit comment section who thought so too.
If it is non news, I guess the thread will die.
Thought I'd put it out there as it excited me.

Cool. This is a trend that hopefully will continue. Also, even though I'm not getting an XB1, this is one the games that really caught my eye when it was revealed. I love LittleBigPlanet to death and Project Spark seems to be an LBP where you can easily build fully realized 3D worlds. I had no clue it was coming to Windows 8 or 360 (I have neither). If I ever switch to Windows 8 (ugh) from Windows 7, I will definitely get this game unless Media Molecule (or someone else) makes a similar 3D LBP-themed game on PS4/PS Vita. Either way, I will definitely check out on YouTube the many crazy creations/levels/games people come up with.

FINALBOSS

Banned
"No. You will not need a gold subscription to play Project Spark for free on any platform."

What a weird fucking sentence. It makes it seem like you don't need Gold to play the free version of Project Spark.

Guys. Free to play games on xbox 360 are ALL behind the paywall. Even if it's just single player. That's why the Reddit poster specifically mentioned Spartacus as being an Xbox Live exclusive. That game has a single player mode but you can't play it without Gold.

McDougles

"No. You will not need a gold subscription to play Project Spark for free on any platform."

What a weird fucking sentence. It makes it seem like you don't need Gold to play the free version of Project Spark.

Considering the fact that's a child post underneath him saying "You do not need an Xbox Live Gold account to play Project Spark," it seems like Project Spark is truly f2p.

Lamptramp

Very good news, though I too suspect as normal any multiplayer aspect will require gold.

At least they've started to make steps in the right direction, here's hoping the policy continues across other games.

Well, that's definitely a good start, but now what about the rest? World of Tanks still going to be requiring Gold for example?

I can't imagine they're too happy with this news unless MS does change their policy across the board. Aren't the guys making ES online trying to get this for their game as well?

Top Bottom