• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Hasney

nexus2cee_youtubemesshero.png

But whyyyy

Never Forget:

Ssm4gPl.png

And here is DrFunk receiving the next shipment of phones:

1hmILtg.gif

In the wearable world, you can now make calls on a watch

watchmobilegpssos2.jpg

But by the fall, we hope to be saved again

hqdefault.jpg

And finally, have some shame

J7vviHp.png

Asgaro

Looking forward to Nexus fanboys praising their new Nexus while somehow neglecting the shit SOT they have to deal with.

Hasney

Looking forward to Nexus fanboys praising their new Nexus while somehow neglecting the shit SOT they have to deal with.

Manufacturers are free to make better phones without compromises, but they haven't managed to yet. Sony got close and then fucked it all up by never penetrating the US.

The SOT is a fine compromise for me for not having to deal with other manufacturers bullshit.

kami_sama

Wow, first time I enter the rankings!
Also, I hope IO is as good as last year's.
I loved the Project Soli demo, and I wanted to get my hands on a devkit, but after they sent the first batch, radio silence from them.
Also, nothing new from the smart textiles group.

OMG that messaging seems awful, is that an update to the stock Google messenger? Been using Hangouts more lately so unsure if it's already changed.

Was running N on my N6P but with no bluetooth audio in the car it got switched back pretty swiftly.

Hasney

nilbog21

Banned
OK I bought a Nexus 5 to replace my phone that died of water damage.. hopefully this phone holds up today .. don't think you can go wrong for $110

Wow at that wall of shame. Because of work my activity died down in this thread like crazy the last month or two and I'm still first by quite a bit.

Asgaro

I'm gonna start using Two Factor Authentication for my Google account.
What will happen with mobile apps that require a Google sign-in? Will there be a force log-out in all of them or will this all go smoothly?

Weren't they notoriously bad on battery life? Or has that improved over updates?
mine was bad until the day I stopped using it.

What will happen with mobile apps that require a Google sign-in? Will there be a force log-out in all of them or will this all go smoothly?
I don't it remember it signing me out of everything but that was a long time ago.

Weren't they notoriously bad on battery life? Or has that improved over updates?
Yeah, but i managed to last about 2 days with one charge on light usage, now it's back to the charger each night. Although Doze does help while the phone idles.

Still, looking for an upgrade this year, after passing last year's Nexus devices due to the 810 dud ... I hope that we get this years devices earlier, since Google already opened the gates about Android N.

kami_sama

I think it does, at least on the web. I remember if it did on the phone apps.
But either way, do it. Best decision ever.
I recommend using Authy, instead of having the logins in the phone, they're in the cloud, and if you change phones or install a different OS, all the 2FA tokens are backed up.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
New plan of action

Gonna pass on Pixel C and wait for that Shield Tablet.

I prefer the smaller form factor, and in theory it should have the exact same innards.

New plan of action

Gonna pass on Pixel C and wait for that Shield Tablet.

I prefer the smaller form factor, and in theory it should have the exact same innards.

Ive had two Pixel C tablets and both have issues with failing to boot. Google have been quick to replace but still shouldn't be happening on the hardware.

I'd assume not. I need to send my 6p in because of dust on the camera sensor and I'm dreading going back to the n5

The N4 got L, basically out of nowhere. That gives me a little hope. I might get a replacement battery (that explodes 3 weeks later in my pants), hoping that it lasts a little longer than the original one. At least until the new phones get announced.

this_guy

I've had Two factor authentication on my Google accounts for a few years now. I don't remember having to log back into any accounts so I think you'll be ok. Plus in your Google account settings you can always see what apps/devices are currently logged in and you can remove any if necessary.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
How the heck did I beat faceless

Gonna get an upgrade on my phone in August. Will the S7 and 6P still be the phones to get or will anything else worth buying be available by then?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Gonna get an upgrade on my phone in August. Will the S7 and 6P still be the phones to get or will anything else worth buying be available by then?

Note is rumored to be August, and the Nexus should be fall.

If you wait that till August I would skip the 6P. No reason to get a snap 810 device that far into 2016 unless money is a concern in which case I'd probably say just get a cheap 5X.

Jigolo

Skip the 6P.

By August should be Note 6 or S7. Maybee Nexus 2016. Wait a month and new iPhone if you're into iOS.

My dream I/O scenario:

New phone the size of the Nexus 5, with a 1080p screen and focus on a battery that can go beyond noon before dying.

And a affordable Chromebook from Google that will launch worldwide, or just more Chromebooks with USB C

Groof

My dream I/O scenario:

New phone the size of the Nexus 5, with a 1080p screen and focus on a battery that can go beyond noon before dying.

And a affordable Chromebook from Google that will launch worldwide, or just more Chromebooks with USB C

it was plausible until here

clav

Is the android/chrome merger OS supposed to be at i/o?

Doubt it's a full merger, but since the media likes half reporting things, people already assume so.

Heard owning an Atom tablet was a pain for Android, so I remain very skeptical at how this is going to work since x86 is not proven on Android.

Furyous

I'm coming for my place on the wall of shame this time.

Is it true Google removed 3D touch support from Android N?

What are the I/O rumors?

kami_sama

I'm coming for my place on the wall of shame this time.

Is it true Google removed 3D touch support from Android N?

What are the I/O rumors?
Seems like it wasn't ready for the spotlight.
For rumors, we have Android VR and Google Chirp (like Amazon's Alexa).

Top Bottom