• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara's Japanese PS3 retail release is different?!

toypop

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.142082152656108.1073741835.132220546975602&type=1
This may a bit old, but according to their FB post, Japanese disk release version for PS3 is done by Capcom's internal dev team include very original arcade staffs, unlike its digital release.
I think PS3 domestic version is based on Japanese PCB, international PCB for digital version.
Oh, and
968931_141718169359173_753888789_n.jpg

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.142082152656108.1073741835.132220546975602&type=1
This may a bit old, but according to their FB post, Japanese disk release version for PS3 is done by Capcom's internal dev team include very original arcade staffs, unlike its digital release.
I think PS3 domestic version is based on Japanese PCB, international PCB for digital version.
Oh, and
968931_141718169359173_753888789_n.jpg
That is probably why the JP version is coming out in August. I'll have to pick up the JP version to see how different it is.

Galdelico

That is probably why the JP version is coming out in August. I'll have to pick up the JP version to see how different it is.
Plus in the japanese text (awfully translated through Google) they seem to mention something about 'discerning gamer people' and to compare this domestic version to PS2 Street Fighter Zero collection, which was pretty awesome.
Maybe I should wait for the boxed release...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I loved this game back in the day, probably cleared it more than 10 times with various friends. The only downside was that clearing the game with the Wizard took 2x as long as with a non-magic class, because of the time stopping during spells.

There's no way they're going to add an option to switch the time-stop off, right?

I don't understand. Why not just use the better JP developers' version everywhere? Is this some kind of left hand-right hand Capcom JP/USA conflict? The JP staff must've looked at the Iron Galaxy version, with the achievement spam and whatnot, and balked. This looks like more of a purist port.

Anyway, the JP retail version is 3990 yen, so if it's better, I'll just get that.

Wow, this is incredibly moronic.

Let's have two teams working on the same game to be released on the same system at different times.

Classic Capcom.

What? That's so dumb. If they're putting the effort into a Japanese retail release why not just localize that for US digital? Why do double work?

duckroll

Has there been any word on if the japanese retail version will have english text?

No, but in the screens it shows that the JP version will include voice language toggle (for the sound effects). You can change between English and Japanese. No sign of Text language toggle. Probably none.

Beckx

This is so bizarre.

The JP retail disc release of the Darkstalkers collection is the Iron Galaxy port, btw. (Just raising b/c it is bizarre to me that there's a special different version of this game and there was not for Darkstalkers - you'd have thought it would have been the other way around. Though I guess with Darkstalkers they needed a unified platform for players to compete with each other.)

Icarus

Is there any word of online play in the Japan retail release? I'm not seeing GGPO mentioned anywhere there.

Damn, I was hoping it'd be like Darkstalkers Resurrection's disc release and default to English if played on a US PS3.

Still going to pick this up anyway, it's a far cheaper (and superior) alternative to the Saturn port.

duckroll

Is there any word of online play in the Japan retail release? I'm not seeing GGPO mentioned anywhere there.

Yes. At the bottom of the main page: "備考:オンライン対応予定 (協力プレイ)". It supports online play for co-op. No word on what sort of netcode, GGPO or otherwise.

kick51

Banned
I bet if we bitch hard enough, this stuff will come to the U.S. version in a patch. If that isn't already the plan.

Wy would they do the extra work for the Japanese version and give us the bare bones one? Why not just localize the Japanese version for us?

What the FUCK?

Sigh...goddammit.

I was planning on buying this game for PSN and Steam, now I'm not buying it at all.

Thanks muchly Capcom.

meppi

This is so bizarre.

The JP retail disc release of the Darkstalkers collection is the Iron Galaxy port, btw.

Don't want to derail, but is that a good thing?
I'm a bit out of the loop on JP PS3 exclusives and have been thinking of picking this one up as well.

Syril

I was going to buy this today, but maybe I should wait to see what all the differences are between these two versions.

I just don't understand Capcom sometimes. Why would they hire another company to port this if they were going to do it themselves?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
That's strange.

The Capcom x Iron Galaxy releases haven't been bad or anything so I don't think the non-JP digital release of this game will be bad, but still kind of weird.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
lol, well fuck the digital release then. I'll buy this. Thanks for the heads up.

Is the retail release PS3 only?

Beckx

Don't want to derail, but is that a good thing?
I'm a bit out of the loop on JP PS3 exclusives and have been thinking of picking this one up as well.

As kick says, it's a great port, and I love having it on disc. It's weird/cool seeing english language stuff that uses the JP names, so if you're a fan who likes referring to Lei-Lei instead of Hsien-ko, this is the release for you.

kick51

Banned
That's strange.

The Capcom x Iron Galaxy releases haven't been bad or anything so I don't think the non-JP digital release of this game will be bad, but still kind of weird.

I agree it's strange and I'm waiting for word on whether these extras will get patched in to the digital release before i rage. The disc release is still a few months off, so it's not like they're different but releasing on the same day.

but I'm buying this today anyway...it's just a color editor and simultaneous class use. One's cosmetic, the other will just make the game easier to dominate lol

meppi

yes, the port is great.

As kick says, it's a great port, and I love having it on disc. It's weird/cool seeing english language stuff that uses the JP names, so if you're a fan who likes referring to Lei-Lei instead of Hsien-ko, this is the release for you.

Thanks guys! Guess I'll be looking for a copy soon. :)
Fell in love with these games on the Saturn as well, so I was a little disappointed to hear it wasn't a new game but a port. Still, there's nothing quite like it.

Tizoc

I suspect these additions will be included in the English release in a future update.

Where's the best place to pick up the limited edition version? (play-asia seems a bit steep...)

Have you tried Ami Ami?

BTW I'll be putting up the OT once I've found confirmation it's releasing this week in US and or EU.

duckroll

I agree it's strange and I'm waiting for word on whether these extras will get patched in to the digital release before i rage. The disc release is still a few months off, so it's not like they're different but releasing on the same day.

but I'm buying this today anyway...it's just a color editor and simultaneous class use. One's cosmetic, the other will just make the game easier to dominate lol

It's not just about the "extras" though. The fact that two different teams are doing two completely different ports of the same games for the same platform (well one of the platforms anyway) released by the same publisher is pretty strange. It introduces a lot of weird questions:

- which port is better technically?
- why are there differences the audio/visual/setting options?
- is the netcode the same? if not why is one worse than the other?

etc.

It's a really stupid position for Capcom to put themselves in, and it makes deciding which version to get for fans much more confusing.

So um...do I buy the JP release (I don't know Japanese at all) or buy the western PSN version?

I think I should get the asian version of Okami HD, fuck digital!

duckroll

So um...do I buy the JP release (I don't know Japanese at all) or buy the western PSN version?

I think I should get the asian version of Okami HD, fuck digital!

I think you should wait until we have more clarification if you're discerning enough to seriously consider one over the other. The digital version is coming out today, so we might have some impressions on that shortly.

ezekial45

Banned
This is so weird. I can't even find the rationale behind this. Why would they have two different teams on this?

I don't know, maybe they wanted to preserve the JPN arcade release? As the game was pretty popular there.

Beckx

The e-Capcom Limited Edition is pretty sweet.

Nearly $200 USD after shipping, but not that bad considering prices on the Saturn version on eBay.

Holy shit. The Darkstalkers limited was crap (the soundtrack was just a few remixed tunes) but that is *AMAZING*. Cab decals? Sold.

It's not just about the "extras" though. The fact that two different teams are doing two completely different ports of the same games for the same platform (well one of the platforms anyway) released by the same publisher is pretty strange. It introduces a lot of weird questions:

etc.

It's a really stupid position for Capcom to put themselves in, and it makes deciding which version to get for fans much more confusing.

Plus they also create a situation where some people immediately think Iron Galaxy - who do great work IMO - have made the "inferior" product.

kick51

Banned

etc.

True, I guess it's inevitable there will be differences under the two major ones.

I'll post impressions of the digital one today when I get it. I have no doubt the Iron Galaxy port will be quality though and GGPO will handle this game just fine, as it has for years on PC GGPO. That said, I'll keep my critical eye on when I play through the games tonight.

Kincaido

Got 99 problems and only one of them is a waifu
I was looking at them earlier, but it's the first time I've heard of them - have you used them before?

Ordered from them for the first time last month and got my game in perfect condition. Only real downside is that they take like 3-4 days to ship your order. I'd say that saving $50+ is worth the wait though :p

is this game actually any good though?
from what i played on mame it seemed a bit of a coin gobbler, can it be completed on one credit if you're good enough?
as a rule i never continue in arcade games.

duckroll

Plus they also create a situation where some people immediately think Iron Galaxy - who do great work IMO - have made the "inferior" product.

Yes, I think that's also a great point. No matter who the outside contractor is, and no matter how hard they work, if you claim the other version which is coming out later has the original staff on it putting extra effort, it creates the immediate impression that what is coming out today is "not good enough" for someone in Capcom. That's such an.... odd way to position a product.

It's just mind-blowing that clarification is the last thing any videogame company thinks about.
With all the shit Microsoft (deservedly) is dealing with due to their failure to communicate, I can't understand why more companies aren't upfront with all the details regarding upcoming games/consoles/etc, even if it's just a port of a couple beatemups from the mid 90s.

Yes, I think that's also a great point. No matter who the outside contractor is, and no matter how hard they work, if you claim the other version which is coming out later has the original staff on it putting extra effort, it creates the immediate impression that what is coming out today is "not good enough" for someone in Capcom. That's such an.... odd way to position a product.
Yes it's absolutely idiotic, especially considering this supposedly better edition will only be available to PS3 owners via import.

is this game actually any good though?
from what i played on mame it seemed a bit of a coin gobbler, can it be completed on one credit if you're good enough?
as a rule i never continue in arcade games.

Definitely. Back when Tower of Doom first came out in the arcades I used to play with somebody who could one credit it.

Also the guys at Replayburners have beaten...no...CRUSHED Shadow Over Mystara in every way imaginable.

Top Bottom