• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| May 2017 - Every Empire Falls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught up on Wonder Woman. Really good book, and I'm enjoying the way the two stories intertwine with each other. I love Bilquis Evely's art in the Godwatch side, it's a great fit for the series. Really want to see her on more titles after this.

mreddie

artists just don't move the needle

tumblr_ohsl85DFEO1qac1soo1_500.gif

I really hope after Umbrella Academy, Ba & Moon do the next volume of Vampire. Casanova and Umbrella Academy need their time in the sun fair enough, but I need me some more demon bear

Aizo

Banned
Taking a train to Osaka early this morning, and I really wish I had time this weekend to stop in Kyoto to check out the International Manga Museum again. That place is awesome. If any of you are ever in Japan, please try to go.

Taking a train to Osaka early this morning, and I really wish I had time this weekend to stop in Kyoto to check out the International Manga Museum again. That place is awesome. If any of you are ever in Japan, please try to go.

One day I'll visit the One Piece theme park.

VeeP

Just finished Batman/The Shadow #1. Originally I wasn't interested but then I found out that the writers were Orlando and Snyder.

And I'm glad I read it. Batman goes into full detective mode, plenty of intrigue and mystery. Great issue, I recommend that everyone picks it up.

Batman-The-Shadow-1-5-600x922.jpg

BATMAN%20SHADOW%202-thumb-500x760-605848.jpg

That Batman/Shadow book looks great. No familiarity with The Shadow but I might pick it up.

Finished my Harrow County reread. Not much to add from last night except that I recant my feeling that vol 2 & 3 were rushed. Maybe it was just adjusting to the 4 issue arcs oppose to 6 but I kind of felt first time through that Bunn was barrelling through plot moments a touch too quickly the first time I read 2 & 3 but it felt spot on this time around.

Really nice series with a first year that manages to cover a lot of ground. Two major arcs, a nice 2 partner focusing on a core member of the cast beyond the lead and two one shots with really nice guest art, especially #12 by Hannah Christenson, whom I thiiink is working on a Boom book now called Death Be Damned.

Oh yea, and the sketch book sections at the back of the trades are legitimately huge. Like 30 pages in volume 3, with annotations and comments from the team, tons of sketches from Crook, a look at his painting process. There's posters they designed for in the world, maps sketched out to imagine the world, one volume had a 7 chapter short story. Lots of cool interesting stuff.

Looking forward to DC having the confidence in King to move him up up from Batman to top tier Swamp Thing book. I understand the hesitance and need for him to cut his teeth on a b lister first though.

Messi

Looking forward to DC having the confidence in King to move him up up from Batman to top tier Swamp Thing book. I understand the hesitance and need for him to cut his teeth on a b lister first though.

Imo he would fit better on a character like that. He seems to thrive on books about people who aren't in the spotlight. Batman has too much expectation attached to it imo.

Sandfox

Johns is still working his way up the ranks to get a Shazam book.

Imo he would fit better on a character like that. He seems to thrive on books about people who aren't in the spotlight. Batman has too much expectation attached to it imo.
I wanted to see DC put him on Green Lantern to do a story in the same vein as Omega Men.

Aizo

Banned
I get it. Because Batman starts with a B.
Forgive me.

This is true. I think his time on Batman is wise in terms of solidifying his name as something that can sell, Omega Men did nearly get canned. I do totally agree though and there's a lot of room in some of the old Vertigo properties that are part of the main u now for him to do his thing. Mr Miracle is a great alternative though, that's all but guaranteed to be tops.

Johns is still working his way up the ranks to get a Shazam book.

I get it. Because Batman starts with a B.
Forgive me.

Shazam, Swamp Thing...S Rank. We've got the makings of a system here. Pro point - Zatanna lands at the top, con - Animal Man gets the shaft :(

Is it wrong that he has a differing opinion if he can back it up (which he has in the past)?

Fanboys gonna fanboy. I've learned not to post detailed criticisms of reviews, because they're usually meet with dismissive gifs. It's easier for me just to ignore and move on.

You jest (somewhat) but you're absolutely correct. He hasn't landed Batman's "voice" once in the run. Swamp Thing was perfect in this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom