• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War gets "refreshed" on June 24th. (Added content, price drop)(X360)

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
The original Gears of War for Xbox 360 will get a "refreshing" come June 24th thanks to Microsoft and Epic.

The MSRP will drop to $39.99, and content that was not available at the retail level (meaning DLC previously only available on Xbox Live, and possibly stuff only seen on the upgraded PC version, and maybe more) will be added to the disc.

This will be good time to hop on the Gears of War bandwagon before the onslaught of the sequel which drops in November. :)

- Credit to GameStop for the info.

Orlics

They better make the DLC free on the marketplace.

Or is it already? Pardon my ignorance, I haven't played Gears in months.

Deepblue

Banned
Orlics said:
They better make the DLC free on the marketplace.

Or is it already? Pardon my ignorance, I haven't played Gears in months.
It's free. But after playing Halo 3, it's very difficult for me to tolerate Gears MP setup.

Aladuf23 said:
If it gets the PC stuff then I'm buying it day 1. I have no problem buying another copy of Gears.

I came in here to post this.

If you have a 360 and don't own Gears of War (or at least owned it at one time) then there may be something wrong with you.

DoomGyver

Aladuf23 said:
If it gets the PC stuff then I'm buying it day 1. I have no problem buying another copy of Gears.

I thought the PC content was exclusive? But shit if they're gonna make it available = Day1.

I highly suggest any new 360 users out there who don't have this in their collection to get it. It's short, awesome, and totally set ups for the sequel!

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Aladuf23 said:

Yep, new maps and a bit of new content. I'll be buying this day 1 if true.

Gears of War is the only game that I'll actually pay for the content/DLC released for it.

Just realized how much of a fiend for Gears I am, quite sad. I just finished playing a bunch of matches from like 10:30 to 1:45, Gears is the only game that I can play for that long and still have fun.

Aladuf

Banned
MaizeRage25 said:
I came in here to post this.

If you have a 360 and don't own Gears of War (or at least owned it at one time) then there may be something wrong with you.

This is true.

Full Recovery said:
I thought the PC content was exclusive? But shit if they're gonna make it available = Day1.

Yeah, it is exclusive. But who knows, maybe since it's been a little while since the PC version came out they figure they could make a couple of bucks by giving it to us now? *crosses fingers*

Kydd BlaZe

Full Recovery said:

Yeah, thats what I thought. According to Epic, the PC content wasn't possible on the 360 due to engine updates and such. If that PC content is present this is a definite re-buy for me.

This also makes me wonder when the hell Unreal Tournament III is coming out. July perhaps?

DoomGyver

Aladuf23 said:
Yeah, it is exclusive. But who knows, maybe since it's been a little while since the PC version came out they figure they could make a couple of bucks by giving it to us now? *crosses fingers*

The closest I have come to the Brumak is Youtube. If we get the extra content we should co-op it up as a refresher for Gears 2!

Aladuf

Banned
Black_Ice said:
Gears of War is the only game that I'll actually pay for the content/DLC released for it.

Just realized how much of a fiend for Gears I am, quite sad. I just finished playing a bunch of matches from like 10:30 to 1:45, Gears is the only game that I can play for that long and still have fun.

:lol Same here, of course I already knew how much of a Gears fan I was. But I've been playing so much more Gears than normal lately. Just the other night I played for about 3 hours and I played for about 2 hours tonight. It never gets old.

Aladuf

Banned
Full Recovery said:
The closest I have come to the Brumak is Youtube. If we get the extra content we should co-op it up as a refresher for Gears 2!

Yep, I watched the PC Act on Youtube too. But I am totally up for doing co-op if we get the extra content. And hell, even if we don't we should still play. Instead of all the MP we've done it can just be SP. :D

CcrooK said:
Did PC have more multiplayer maps?

yea it did and they were pretty cool as well. this will be my third time buying the same game if it's true though. Gears 360, Gears PC and now Gears 360 refreshed.

Velocity

I wouldn't get my hopes up on this. It's more than likely just a Platinum Hits re-release that includes all of the Gears DLC released so far on 360.

Now, if they're smarter than that, it would be a Platinum Hits including all DLC so far on 360, as well as the exclusive multiplayer content(3 maps, 1 game mode) from the PC version on the disc and available as DLC to existing owners. I don't think the 360 will ever see the PC single-player content due to technical limitations of the older Uneal Engine 3. At least adding the PC multiplayer stuff would be enough to drive interest in Gears of War again to keep hype on Gears 2.

Man I love this game.

Syb

I wonder if the added content (DLC maps) will be playable from the disc? Or will the game come with an extra disc that extracts the content to your HDD (Like Oblivion GOTY)? If its playable from the disc I might consider double dipping, means I could save some HDD space.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
The PC stuff was really weak, it wasn't made by epic (People can Fly did it) and had a very evident change in quality when doing it compared to the rest of the game.

Also they say it isn't coming to the 360 due to technical limitations. The new stuff is designed around the stronger specs of gamer PC's and would kill the framerate on the Xbox running Gears 1's engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkEvLP_Qsk

acm2000

Sinatar said:
The PC stuff was really weak, it wasn't made by epic (People can Fly did it) and had a very evident change in quality when doing it compared to the rest of the game.

Also they say it isn't coming to the 360 due to technical limitations. The new stuff is designed around the stronger specs of gamer PC's and would kill the framerate on the Xbox running Gears 1's engine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQkEvLP_Qsk

im pretty sure they could get that working on the 360 fine

Sinatar

acm2000 said:
im pretty sure they could get that working on the 360 fine

If they felt like putting the resources into porting it then sure. I just highly doubt it'd be worth the effort.

acm2000

Sinatar said:
If they felt like putting the resources into porting it then sure. I just highly doubt it'd be worth the effort.

its a big, empty, barren, open area, with a burmac in the middle, nothing taxing about it

voltron

They wont add the PC content. No way... if they were it would warrant its own announcement and song and dance.

Still a great deal though for anyone who hasnt played it.

Feindflug

If the DLC is added into the disc this will be great for all the people that can't download the extra free maps because the content is locked in their country. :)

Hopefully this new "GOTY" edition will be region free.

Sinatar

acm2000 said:
its a big, empty, barren, open area, with a burmac in the middle, nothing taxing about it

The Brumac isn't the extra content, only the end of it. The actual chapter preceeding that has you fighting much larger groups of enemies in larger areas then anything Gears threw at you.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Feindflug said:
If the DLC is added into the disc this will be great for all the people that can't download the extra free maps because the content is locked in their country. :)

Hopefully this new "GOTY" edition will be region free.
Well, the game has already hit Classics in Europe and I'm 99% sure it doesn't include the DLC. When PDZ hit Classics they included the DLC. Although the PDZ DLC was still premium by the time the Classics came out, where as the GeoW content is free.

If it gets any content from the PC version (I doubt it will get the extra chapter but the maps probably woudn't be too hard to port), they should put the extra stuff on XBL.

Feindflug

cjelly said:
Well, the game has already hit Classics in Europe and I'm 99% sure it doesn't include the DLC. When PDZ hit Classics they included the DLC. Although the PDZ DLC was still premium by the time the Classics came out, where as the GeoW content is free.

Yep the PAL Classics version doesn't include the DLC but from what I can understand this "GOTY" version is US only that's why I said hopefully it will be region free.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Im not even sure they can fit the PC stuff on the disc. Wasn't GoW1 just about maxed out?

DVD is enough, remember.

fernie417

Well, I have a 360 and never played Gears (>_>;), I guess now would be a good a time as any to see what the fuss was about.

Shins

Banned
diffusionx said:
Im not even sure they can fit the PC stuff on the disc. Wasn't GoW1 just about maxed out?

DVD is enough, remember.
not trying hard enough

hope anything they add shows up on marketplace. I have the hard drive space.

Top Bottom