• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Metal Thread |OT2| All Riffs, No Gifs

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Xasthur is doing an acoustic tour? WTF?

Why isn't there a musician/band-GAF thread? :( I'll have my first gig in a week and I'm fucking scared, actually, haha! Help ;_;

I guess many metal fans are in bands themselves, how do (or did) you cope with this?

lordxar

Why isn't there a musician/band-GAF thread? :( I'll have my first gig in a week and I'm fucking scared, actually, haha! Help ;_;

I guess many metal fans are in bands themselves, how do (or did) you cope with this?

Beer, cause of and solution to all of man's problems. Couple of those and you'll be fine ;) Just don't make it a couple too many...

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Dicking around looking at Magic: The Gathering artists and saw that Dan Seagrave did art for two cards.

gAFac2B.jpg

xAm63DW.jpg

It would have been sweet if he had become a recurring artist for them.

Obviously different things for everyone but for whatever reason I generally don't really eat anything beforehand. At a certain point once you've done it enough times you get over it. Plus yeah drink enough and you won't care about anything, just stay coherent. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you haven't played before though, could go bad if you're too loose

What do you play? Is this a band you joined or a new one you guys started? If you joined it's a bit better just because you can (hopefully) trust the others to have their shit together. You can polish your own shit as much as possible but it means little when others drop the ball. Prepare for whatever you think could go wrong beforehand and deal with it if you need to. Just remember, at the end of the day no one probably cares about your band anyways ;)

What do you play? I play guitar and as soon as that first chord gets played it's fine, I have a pint or two beforehand and always remember most of the people in the audience can't do what you're doing.

Beer, cause of and solution to all of man's problems. Couple of those and you'll be fine ;) Just don't make it a couple too many...

You have a point there!

Obviously different things for everyone but for whatever reason I generally don't really eat anything beforehand. At a certain point once you've done it enough times you get over it. Plus yeah drink enough and you won't care about anything, just stay coherent. I probably wouldn't recommend it if you haven't played before though, could go bad if you're too loose

What do you play? Is this a band you joined or a new one you guys started? If you joined it's a bit better just because you can (hopefully) trust the others to have their shit together. You can polish your own shit as much as possible but it means little when others drop the ball. Prepare for whatever you think could go wrong beforehand and deal with it if you need to. Just remember, at the end of the day no one probably cares about your band anyways ;)

I play guitar and only have a drummer so there's not much room for error for both of us, haha. :D We play a bit whacky stuff so some will hate it but I know some people like it already. Hopefully those stand in the front (maybe there's no back, we are the first band to play out of three).

What do you play? I play guitar and as soon as that first chord gets played it's fine, I have a pint or two beforehand and always remember most of the people in the audience can't do what you're doing.

I hope I can break my own ice with jamming a little in the beginning. I'll have a beer or two for sure. Have to be careful because it's fast and complicated shit but then again nobody really knows our stuff so being the guitar player for a two-man-group I could basically play anything as long as it fits the rhythm (if I fuck up), haha.

So basically beer. :D But yeah, I hope it's one of these "there's no turning back now"-moments and my fingers just go into professional mode...

Gost is opening for Taake on their US tour

I love Gost but dude seems like he's on damn near every metal fest in the US and now this.....nice to see success but like calm down here. I dig both but I don't need DJs opening for BM bands to become a thing, regardless of number of upside down crosses on your merch

e_i

Dailor (Mastodon) has a new band (or old?) called Arcadea, and they will dropping their EP in July. They're like a electronic (heavy chiptunes) version of Mastodon.

Ravager61

Dicking around looking at Magic: The Gathering artists and saw that Dan Seagrave did art for two cards.

gAFac2B.jpg

xAm63DW.jpg

It would have been sweet if he had become a recurring artist for them.

This is cool. I have played Magic for years and didn't realize he did art for some cards. Not his best work but still cool.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Lich King's new album is great

Thank you for reminding me Lich King existed. Buying the new album right now!

Going to be seeing Sabaton on Friday down in NYC and the two bands that are opening for them are totally unknown to me. Anyone ever heard of Leaves Eyes and/or Battle Beast and if so can you suggest any of their stuff that I should listen to leading up to the show?

Bitanator

Not the biggest Lich King fan but did enjoy their Do-Over album, the song "In the End, Devastation" is fun to headbang to as well, but mostly C-grade stuff.

Lol I came here to post this. Fucking awesome. Honestly this puts the new Suffocation song to shame. They way they can so seamlessly switch between old school east coast death metal riffs and their newer technical style all while keeping the trademark Dying Fetus slamming groovyness in there is just masterful. Not exactly a big change from Descend and Reign but if it ain't broke don't fix it! The Gallagher and Beasley duel vocal approach continues to work extremely well.

Fuck I'm pumped. I need this album ASAP. When I heard that riff at 0:24 I creamed my pants.

And just in case fetuses weren't being treated badly enough a new Aborted Fetus music video also just came out!

Corpsepyre

Banned
Lol I came here to post this. Fucking awesome. Honestly this puts the new Suffocation song to shame. They way they can so seamlessly switch between old school east coast death metal riffs and their newer technical style all while keeping the trademark Dying Fetus slamming groovyness in there is just masterful. Not exactly a big change from Descend and Reign but if it ain't broke don't fix it! The Gallagher and Beasley duel vocal approach continues to work extremely well.

Fuck I'm pumped. I need this album ASAP. When I heard that riff at 0:24 I creamed my pants.

And just in case fetuses weren't being treated badly enough a new Aborted Fetus music video also just came out!

3:22 as well. Fucking love it.

Ohnonono

DF are riff-salad in a way I could never complain about. For some reason they get away with it while it can annoy me in other bands. Such a massive sounding 3 piece band.

I dig that new DF track a lot. Can't say it grabs me as much as Subjected To A Beating first did (drums also sound a lot more clicky than usual?) but it's very good

Despite not being a big DF fan Reign Supreme is one of my favorite albums, hopefully they deliver here

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
They aren't really metal, more metal infused Touch and Go type pissy nihilistic pseudo industrial with a screaming asshole and metal riffs with occasional shredding, but I highly recommend checking out Uniform for people who think they may be into that sort of thing.

https://unifuckingform.bandcamp.com/
I love this record. One of my faves of 2017 so far.

The singer is in another cool band called Drunkdriver.

The drummer of Internal Bleeding (early 90s dm band from NY) passed away today. He fell off a roof while fighting a fire in Queens. he served with the FDNY for the past 14 years.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/20/ridgewood-fire-queens/

Statement from the band:

"Our drummer, the heartbeat of the band, William Tolley died today. There are ZERO WORDS to describe the loss. He was a good, decent and honorable man who loved his friends, his family and the people he served. There will never be another like him. There are no words to describe the utter sadness and despair we feel right now. We love you Bill."

Mayor de Blasio:

"I'm very sorry to report tragedy has struck our city. Today we lost a hero of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY). William Tolley was a 14-year veteran of the FDNY dedicated to protecting others. To William's family, we not only stand by you today but in the weeks and years ahead. Our hearts also go out today to the members of the FDNY, especially the members of Ladder 135 in Ridgewood."

Regiruler

The drummer of Internal Bleeding (early 90s dm band from NY) passed away today. He fell off a roof while fighting a fire in Queens. he served with the FDNY for the past 14 years.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/04/20/ridgewood-fire-queens/

Statement from the band:

"Our drummer, the heartbeat of the band, William Tolley died today. There are ZERO WORDS to describe the loss. He was a good, decent and honorable man who loved his friends, his family and the people he served. There will never be another like him. There are no words to describe the utter sadness and despair we feel right now. We love you Bill."

Mayor de Blasio:

"I'm very sorry to report tragedy has struck our city. Today we lost a hero of the New York City Fire Department (FDNY). William Tolley was a 14-year veteran of the FDNY dedicated to protecting others. To William's family, we not only stand by you today but in the weeks and years ahead. Our hearts also go out today to the members of the FDNY, especially the members of Ladder 135 in Ridgewood."

Damn. Incredibly noble way to go.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Saw Ghost for the third time yesterday. I had some doubts how will 'temporary' ghouls perform after all lineup shakedowns.... but boy I was wrong. They made a fantastic show as always and new ghouls have awesome stage presence.

Black metal video game covers by The True Werwolf, for those who might not have heard them before:

"Chi No Namida" (Castlevania)

"0373" (Journey To Silius)

Warning: it's the dude from Satanic Warmaster, so keep that in mind depending on how you feel about listening to bands with NSBM leanings.

Top Bottom